F*cking Bevell

sourceworx

Wait, so Shane is saying this one's more on Quinn than Bevell?  You mean the same guy who knew he was about to be paid handsomely to be the Falcons HC BEFORE the Super Bowl?  You can't possibly argue that Quinn had much of anything to gain with a terrific performance on Sunday.  He's already one foot out the door. 

Meanwhile, Bevell is the OC who played a major role in the worst play call in sports history.  It's fair to say his stock just plummeted.

• Replies 670
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wait, so Shane is saying this one's more on Quinn than Bevell?  You mean the same guy who knew he was about to be paid handsomely to be the Falcons HC BEFORE the Super Bowl?  You can't possibly argue that Quinn had much of anything to gain with a terrific performance on Sunday.  He's already one foot out the door. 

Meanwhile, Bevell is the OC who played a major role in the worst play call in sports history.  It's fair to say his stock just plummeted.

By the same logic that this call was the worst in SB history, then Seattle should have been down by 8 points as Bevell should have kicked the FG before halftime. The difference the call before halftime worked. I don't think the calling a pass was crazy because they only had 1 TO, the issue I have is the actual playcall/formation itself.

By the same logic that this call was the worst in SB history, then Seattle should have been down by 8 points as Bevell should have kicked the FG before halftime. The difference the call before halftime worked. I don't think the calling a pass was crazy because they only had 1 TO, the issue I have is the actual playcall/formation itself.

wat

The play before halftime is an example of going against the grain and dealing with the Pats.  I hate them, but I think the Pats under Belichick and Revis in particular are excellent at knowing where the ball is going to go.  Before the half it seemed that the CB was setting up to defend the fade.  By throwing the ball short, they caught him.  At the end, they tried a standard pick play.  The WR seemed to have plenty of opportunity to beat the CB to that ball, but he alligator armed it and didn't run through hard.  It seemed like he got hit early, but they were not going to make that call in that game, particularly to reward that (lack of) effort.

wat

If the pass before halftime gets picked off everyone here would be piling on Bevell saying what an idiot, the fact that the play worked so everyone gives him a pass on that call.  This was like the Jets vs GB second game of the year - where everyone killed MM for throwing.

And the play before half had to be a quick hitter , running a fade might have drained the clock completely , it was ballsly but worked  just like the final play which didn't.

By the same token the pass call at the end was not horrible, especially if it worked. Where I find fault is the design of the play , i would have rolled Wilson out and gave him a quick option out wide or to tuck it and run. With only 1 TO left if they ran on 2nd and it got stopped , Sea would have needed to burn they're final TO , then they'd been almost forced to pass.

Wait, so Shane is saying this one's more on Quinn than Bevell? You mean the same guy who knew he was about to be paid handsomely to be the Falcons HC BEFORE the Super Bowl? You can't possibly argue that Quinn had much of anything to gain with a terrific performance on Sunday. He's already one foot out the door.

Meanwhile, Bevell is the OC who played a major role in the worst play call in sports history. It's fair to say his stock just plummeted.

Wat

Wat

Quit being dumb.  You were just straight up wrong on Bevell.  You'd think the guy who helped "develop" 3rd round pick Russell Wilson would have gotten a major look this offseason.  Sunday gave us some insight as to why he didn't. 

But go ahead and throw Quinn under the bus all you want.  He's gonna be a good one for Atlanta, and it'll be fun to necro this thread when that happens.

If the pass before halftime gets picked off everyone here would be piling on Bevell saying what an idiot, the fact that the play worked so everyone gives him a pass on that call.  This was like the Jets vs GB second game of the year - where everyone killed MM for throwing.

And the play before half had to be a quick hitter , running a fade might have drained the clock completely , it was ballsly but worked  just like the final play which didn't.

By the same token the pass call at the end was not horrible, especially if it worked. Where I find fault is the design of the play , i would have rolled Wilson out and gave him a quick option out wide or to tuck it and run. With only 1 TO left if they ran on 2nd and it got stopped , Sea would have needed to burn they're final TO , then they'd been almost forced to pass.

They broke down the play pretty well on NFL Network.  Wilson had basically one ILB to beat (Hightower) if he'd chosen to just run with it.  Lots of ways to get a yard.  They chose horribly.

The call before the half was aggressive but sound.. A pass to the end zone is either complete for TD, incomplete and time to kick a FG or INT. That was the smart play

On the road, in the playoffs, against the Chargers.  The Jets needed one yard.  Hell, Rex could've punted and would have been right to do so.  However, it was the playoffs and a loss would have ended the season.  Rex sent in Thomas Jones to get the yard and win the game.  He knew what got him there and he stuck with it.  Bevell had a guy who led the league in TD's, had just plowed for five yards against a spent defense, and then thought he'd get cute. 

Defend Bevell all you want, and I understand it's tough to have  him make the worst call in sports history because you've been his number one fan for quite some time now.  Eventually we'll know if you were right about this one. 

The Jets were at the Chargers 29 yard line on that 4th and 1- Punt????? To say that was the same situation that Bevell was in, would be a huge misnomer.

The genius of Rex Ryan in that game was willing 3 missed field goals by Nate Kaeding.

Quit being dumb. You were just straight up wrong on Bevell. You'd think the guy who helped "develop" 3rd round pick Russell Wilson would have gotten a major look this offseason. Sunday gave us some insight as to why he didn't.

But go ahead and throw Quinn under the bus all you want. He's gonna be a good one for Atlanta, and it'll be fun to necro this thread when that happens.

What exactly was I "wrong" about again?

The Jets were at the Chargers 29 yard line on that 4th and 1- Punt????? To say that was the same situation that Bevell was in, would be a huge misnomer.

The genius of Rex Ryan in that game was willing 3 missed field goals by Nate Kaeding.

Going off memory...some fans didn't dven know it happened. Post-season, win or go home, needed one yard. One coach stuck with what got him there and the other did not. One coach got the win, the other did not...that was my point.

Going off memory...some fans didn't dven know it happened. Post-season, win or go home, needed one yard. One coach stuck with what got him there and the other did not. One coach got the win, the other did not...that was my point.

It was one of the fondest memories from my childhood.

Totally different circumstances. One coach had the lead. One did not. Very different.

Totally different circumstances. One coach had the lead. One did not. Very different.

Both needed a single yard to secure a victory. One got it, one didn't. I do hope Bevell bounces back from the worst call in history though. He's better than that.

Both needed a single yard to secure a victory. One got it, one didn't. I do hope Bevell bounces back from the worst call in history though. He's better than that.

Again, different circumstances. One coach head the lead, and was on the opponents 29 yard line. 

The other coach needed to score in order to take the lead in the game. Victory was not necessarily guaranteed with the 1 yard.

Different circumstances, totally. Different teams, as well. 

Again, different circumstances. One coach head the lead, and was on the opponents 29 yard line.

The other coach needed to score in order to take the lead in the game. Victory was not necessarily guaranteed with the 1 yard.

Different circumstances, totally. Different teams, as well.

Yeah, Bevell's was kinda worse. Rex had more wiggle room but still stuck with what got him there. Awesome call.

Bevell...worst call ever handed Brady another ring...ugh.

How ? As long as passing to end zone and QB is smart.. Not possible

Sack, QB trips on feet of lineman, something unexpected happens. 

As we saw, anything can happen.

BB should have told his DB's to hold or something on that play, if anything representing a WR getting loose happens. Worst thing that happens is 1/2 the distance (or ball at 1), with more clock run off. THEN we would sees how ballsy Seattle was.

BB should have told his DB's to hold or something on that play, if anything representing a WR getting loose happens. Worst thing that happens is 1/2 the distance (or ball at 1), with more clock run off. THEN we would sees how ballsy Seattle was.

Yes, he should've this is why BB sucks as a HC

I just read that buzz from the Seahawks locker room is that Carroll wanted Russell Wilson to be the hero, not Marshawn Lynch, because they know they have to pay Wilson... but wanted to maintain good negotiating position with Beast Mode.

Something tells me this team never recovers from this.

I just read that buzz from the Seahawks locker room is that Carroll wanted Russell Wilson to be the hero, not Marshawn Lynch, because they know they have to pay Wilson... but wanted to maintain good negotiating position with Beast Mode.

This theory is nonsensical BS with zero merit IMO.  If it had any at all, they wouldn't have given it to Lynch on the previous play that got them to the one yard line.

However, I understand why this stuff has come up and it just goes to show just how bad the play call was.  It's so unfathomable that people are trying to come up with a reason that would make sense and there are so few that it spawns theories like this.

Cant believe it. Lynch was a yard a way from being the hero anyways.

Archived