Which of the seven new NFL head coaches was the best hire ? ? ?

kelly

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Six retreads have actually won SBs in the last 20 years. Prior to the Broncos win in Super Bowl 32, only one retread (Don Shula) had ever won a Super Bowl.

You're still looking at 35 of 49 Super Bowls being won by coaches in their first head coaching job.

And despite Raider9175's ridiculously delusional fantasies, Jack Del Rio ain't the next Bill Belichick.

I would not have been happy with any of the retreads that just got hired. Would you?

I guess you aren't a math major. let's see retreads. Pete Carroll , Bill Bellichik, Jon Gruden, Mike Shanahan , Tony Dungy, Dick Vermeil, and Tom Coughlin. ( off the top of my head). your numbers are off by a lot. How many superbowls did those retreads win again.

Now throw in Geno Smith as Bowles Qb, and Chan Gailey his OC ( Qb better be smart in that system - out of the league the last two years doesn't bode a lot of confidence going forward. ( again let's see how Bowles makes out)

Agreed.  That's a great fit.

Based on their fit with the team they were hired by and the coaching pool available to each team (I.E. factor in that Fox never would have come here) I'll go:

1.  Quinn

2.  Fox

3.  Bowles

4.  Kubiak

5.  Rex

6.  Del Rio

7.  Tomsula

Bowles was the best hire WE could have gotten because I'm not convinced Quinn would have come here had we waited, and we may have lost out on Bowles in the end as well. 

The QUINN hire IMO is about equal to ours. Not sure Id put FOX above us.

I like our pick... not heads and tails above the other 2 BUT respectable.

Lets hope he does not morf into Herm.

Agreed.  That's a great fit.

Based on their fit with the team they were hired by and the coaching pool available to each team (I.E. factor in that Fox never would have come here) I'll go:

1.  Quinn

2.  Fox

3.  Bowles

4.  Kubiak

5.  Rex

6.  Del Rio

7.  Tomsula

Bowles was the best hire WE could have gotten because I'm not convinced Quinn would have come here had we waited, and we may have lost out on Bowles in the end as well.

let's see Josh Mcdaniels, Romeo Crennel, Spagnola, Norv Turner and, Rex Ryan . just because you prove to be a top coordinator doesn't mean it guarantees you will be a top head coach. You have just as good chance as flipping a coin to know what you have in Bowles. Only time will tell , but again you can't seriously put him over established head coach right now.

I guess you aren't a math major. let's see retreads. Pete Carroll , Bill Bellichik, Jon Gruden, Mike Shanahan , Tony Dungy, Dick Vermeil, and Tom Coughlin. ( off the top of my head). your numbers are off by a lot. How many superbowls did those retreads win again.

Now throw in Geno Smith as Bowles Qb, and Chan Gailey his OC ( Qb better be smart in that system - out of the league the last two years doesn't bode a lot of confidence going forward. ( again let's see how Bowles makes out)

I personally don't count Gruden. He should have never been fired by the Raiders - that was sheer stupidity. 

Plus that Bucs team would have won with my Grandmother coaching them. Gruden was hired to "fix" their offense. Their offense was only marginally better his SB year than they were in Dungy's last year. They went from ranked 26th to 24th. Based on advanced metrics, they were actually worse under Gruden going from a DVOA to 2.9 in 2001 under Dungy to a DVOA of -3.8 in 2002 under offensive "genius" Gruden. 

Gruden was along for the ride in 2002. He really should give that SB ring to Dungy. He's the guy that did all the dirty work building that team.

let's see Josh Mcdaniels, Romeo Crennel, Spagnola, Norv Turner and, Rex Ryan . just because you prove to be a top coordinator doesn't mean it guarantees you will be a top head coach. You have just as good chance as flipping a coin to know what you have in Bowles. Only time will tell , but again you can't seriously put him over established head coach right now.

Define "established" head coach. 

Sure I can.  I like Fox because he won playoff games with Delhomme and Tebow.  But if he was truly a terrific coach, he'd have won a title in those 3 years with Peyton, and/or they wouldn't have decided to go in another direction.  Elway hasn't gotten a lot wrong in Denver. 

Quinn, by all reports, has the characteristics to be a HC in this league.  As does Bowles.  Yes, only time will tell, but among the crop of coaches that were available, I'll take the "Devil you don't know" over the "Devil you do".  In this case, yes, Quinn and Bowles are damn well better hires than Kubiak and Rex Ryan.  Main reason I have Fox over Bowles is that Fox makes a PERFECT fit for Chicago.  Just like Quinn is a PERFECT fit for Atlanta.

I personally don't count Gruden. He should have never been fired by the Raiders - that was sheer stupidity. 

Plus that Bucs team would have won with my Grandmother coaching them. Gruden was hired to "fix" their offense. Their offense was only marginally better his SB year than they were in Dungy's last year. They went from ranked 26th to 24th. Based on advanced metrics, they were actually worse under Gruden going from a DVOA to 2.9 in 2001 under Dungy to a DVOA of -3.8 in 2002 under offensive "genius" Gruden. 

Gruden was along for the ride in 2002. He really should give that SB ring to Dungy. He's the guy that did all the dirty work building that team.

I don't care what you consider a retread head coach . Jon Gruden was a retread head coach , and you can't change because it doesn't fit your Criteria. He won a Super Bowl as a retread, fact.

I don't care what you consider a retread head coach . Jon Gruden was a retread head coach , and you can't change because it doesn't fit your Criteria. He won a Super Bowl as a retread, fact.

Again. The Raiders made a colossal mistake and the Bucs would have won no matter who was coaching them that year. Gruden brought absolutely nothing to the table. Monte Kiffin remained in charge of the defense and their offense (Gruden's alleged specialty) regressed un Gruden. 

Jack Del Rio. HAHAHAHAHAHA I live in Jacksonville. This guy is the worst game coach I've ever seen. Guy once ran the ball on 20 straight plays when he was trailing by 10 points with 7 minutes left in a game! You would have been better off keeping Sparano! At least you wouldn't have gotten any false hope. 

The Raiders actually interviewed Eric Mangini! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA 

Sure I can.  I like Fox because he won playoff games with Delhomme and Tebow.  But if he was truly a terrific coach, he'd have won a title in those 3 years with Peyton, and/or they wouldn't have decided to go in another direction.  Elway hasn't gotten a lot wrong in Denver. 

Quinn, by all reports, has the characteristics to be a HC in this league.  As does Bowles.  Yes, only time will tell, but among the crop of coaches that were available, I'll take the "Devil you don't know" over the "Devil you do".  In this case, yes, Quinn and Bowles are damn well better hires than Kubiak and Rex Ryan.  Main reason I have Fox over Bowles is that Fox makes a PERFECT fit for Chicago.  Just like Quinn is a PERFECT fit for Atlanta.

Do you know Peyton Manning playoff record. ( no where as impressive as his regular season record). so how can you seriously hold that against John Fox. ( His brother has won more Superbowls than him)

I gave you a list of coordinators that had higher characteristics to be head coach in the league than Quinn or Bowles.( did more than both) They failed miserable, and nobody knows how the new suspects are going to do as head coaches. ( all you have is hope and pray - why don't you look up Quinn coaching resume- and tell me what's so impressive.

Now getting to Bowles he was very good defensive coordinator. that's all we know about him. Some of the offense hires weren't that impressive. Chan Gailey who has been out of the league the last two years is his OC.

Again we can wait till the end of 2015 season and re-examine this thread.

Do you know Peyton Manning playoff record. ( no where as impressive as his regular season record). so how can you seriously hold that against John Fox. ( His brother has won more Superbowls than him)

I gave you a list of coordinators that had higher characteristics to be head coach in the league than Quinn or Bowles.( did more than both) They failed miserable, and nobody knows how the new suspects are going to do as head coaches. ( all you have is hope and pray - why don't you look up Quinn coaching resume- and tell me what's so impressive.

Now getting to Bowles he was very good defensive coordinator. that's all we know about him. Some of the offense hires weren't that impressive. Chan Gailey who has been out of the league the last two years is his OC.

And when you are on here next January bragging about the Raiders new head coach Josh McDaniel, you will conveniently forget all the bullsh*t you are spewing now.

And Jack Del Rio is a proven failure as a head coach. 

Are you going to make an actual point any time in the near future?

Again. The Raiders made a colossal mistake and the Bucs would have won no matter who was coaching them that year. Gruden brought absolutely nothing to the table. Monte Kiffin remained in charge of the defense and their offense (Gruden's alleged specialty) regressed un Gruden. 

Jack Del Rio. HAHAHAHAHAHA I live in Jacksonville. This guy is the worst game coach I've ever seen. Guy once ran the ball on 20 straight plays when he was trailing by 10 points with 7 minutes left in a game! You would have been better off keeping Sparano! At least you wouldn't have gotten any false hope. 

The Raiders actually interviewed Eric Mangini! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

a couple of questions Klecko . 1. what's the Jaguars record since they fired Delrio. 2. Who were the Jaguars Qb he was working with at the time.( who was the Jaguars whole offense 2. Who was the last Jaguars coach to make the playoffs.

Now go look at the staff Jack Delrio assembled( Raiders still haven't named Dline coach or Dc) versus Bowles. Go ahead Klecko let's see if you can make a claim Jet staff is more impressive. ( that should be worth a good laugh.

Yes.  11-14.  Still not much of an excuse for going 1 and done at home.  TWICE  I can and will hold that against John Fox, because I also praised him for overachieving with sh*tty QB's.  We know what Fox is capable of being.  A pretty solid coach who leaves a lot to be desired.  That's why he's my # 2 hire but not the top hire.

We already know Kubiak, Rex and Del Rio have tried and failed as HEAD coaches.  Bills, Broncos and Raiders fans will be doing just as much "hoping and praying" as we are.  Moreso, actually, because they need to hope those failed HC's learned their lessons. 

I don't care about your list of failed coordinators turning to HC because it's irrelevant.  Everyone knows that it's difficult to make that transition.  But if no one ever tried there'd be no "established" head coaches out there for the stupid Raiders to try to hire.

What offensive coordinator would you have hired?

I like that Bowles hired a guy with HC experience.  Also, Gailey got a Bills offense lacking in talent to perform well in his tenure there. 

GFY.  I'd rather talk about it now, because that's what fans do.  It's early February and a LONG way to go until the draft.

a couple of questions Klecko . 1. what's the Jaguars record since they fired Delrio. 2. Who were the Jaguars Qb he was working with at the time.( who was the Jaguars whole offense 2. Who was the last Jaguars coach to make the playoffs.

Now go look at the staff Jack Delrio assembled( Raiders still haven't named Dline coach or Dc) versus Bowles. Go ahead Klecko let's see if you can make a claim Jet staff is more impressive. ( that should be worth a good laugh.

So Del Rio couldn't win in Jacksonville because of lack of talent.  Yet he's going to succeed with the Raiders because.......?

No one cares about Del Rio's coaching staff.  If he can't do the job they certainly won't be able to either.  The same is true for Todd Bowles.  Difference being we know Del Rio has tried and failed to do the job with an equally bad franchise as the Raiders. 

What is so impressive about the Raiders staff? They are pretty much all guys who were a part of his failure in Jacksonville. Musgrave as OC? You haven't even hired a DC yet? Mike Tice as OL coach is good but he doesn't have Fred Taylor or a young MJD. 

So Del Rio couldn't win in Jacksonville because of lack of talent. Yet he's going to succeed with the Raiders because.......?

No one cares about Del Rio's coaching staff. If he can't do the job they certainly won't be able to either. The same is true for Todd Bowles. Difference being we know Del Rio has tried and failed to do the job with an equally bad franchise as the Raiders.

Jack Delrio going to succeed with the Raiders because he has a franchise caliber Qb in Derek Carr. ( having that makes it more appealing when looking for OC) The best Qb he had to work with as Headcoach. Delrio had his best success when he had a healthy David Garrard.( teams made the playoffs - defense were no lower than 12th)

That statement who cares about Who his assistant coaches are just ignorant. Those assistants are going to have a large say in how successful he is , as a head coach. ( Especially on the offense side of the ball- not Bowles area of expertise). The 49ers and Jim Harbaugh falling out started with the high priced assistant coaches - when hire the best it's going to cost some serious cash. A head coach is only as good as the staff he assembles.

Now why are Bowles and Quinn up for head coaching jobs because they came from losing franchises. No.

Btw Still waiting for you to look up Quinn's coaching resume, and tell me what I'm missing . thanks

Retreads are a waste of time. They have a track record of failure which is why they were available in the first place. 

Naming two of the only 3 guys to win a Super Bowl as a retread is cherry picking. How did that work out for the lterally 100s of retreads who sucked just as bad in their second job as their first? 

It's more than 3.  I know Vermeil, Coughlin, Belichick, and Carroll off the top of my head. In fact going back to Gruden in 2002, 8 out of last 13 super bowls were won by head coaches that were not in their first jobs.

What is so impressive about the Raiders staff? They are pretty much all guys who were a part of his failure in Jacksonville. Musgrave as OC? You haven't even hired a DC yet? Mike Tice as OL coach is good but he doesn't have Fred Taylor or a young MJD.

Ken Norton Jr. - Raiders new Dc. Jack Delrio is going to call the defense, and bring him along.

Those Jacksonville coaches were so much a failure( always has top staff) that Mike Smith and Dick Koetter built their reputations under his tutelage . Bill Musgrave with the Jaguars didn't have a Qb, why he had to lean so much on the running game. Bill Musgrave was The Eagles Qb coach last year and bringing a large part of Chip Kelly offense to OAKLAND. ( made The Butt Fumbler look decent). He can do that because he has A Qb to make that offense thrive. ( Carr has everything you look for in a Qb - smart, arm, mobility, and accuracy.

The Raiders have 70 million dollars with Amari Cooper coming by the draft. good chance Cobb might be the other Wr they target.

Rex is by FAR the worst HC hire this offseason. A progressively worse HC goes to a team in a very similar situation to the team he just screwed over to 4-12 and people think it will be different in Buffalo. Pretty hysterical.

Don't know about that; I think Rex is the kind of coach that can be successful his first few years and then his act starts to wear thin.  If the Bills get any kind of decent QB play (a BIG if), with that defense and those playmakers, could have a very good season. Also don't forget Rex has always done pretty good against the Pats.   That said, firing him was definitely the right move. 

Ken Norton Jr. - Raiders new Dc. Jack Delrio is going to call the defense, and bring him along.

Those Jacksonville coaches were so much a failure( always has top staff) that Mike Smith and Dick Koetter built their reputations under his tutelage . Bill Musgrave with the Jaguars didn't have a Qb, why he had to lean so much on the running game. Bill Musgrave was The Eagles Qb coach last year and bringing a large part of Chip Kelly offense to OAKLAND. ( made The Butt Fumbler look decent). He can do that because he has A Qb to make that offense thrive. ( Carr has everything you look for in a Qb - smart, arm, mobility, and accuracy.

The Raiders have 70 million dollars with Amari Cooper coming by the draft. good chance Cobb might be the other Wr they target.

:rl:

That was the reaction from the Offense coordinators Bowles interviewed. why he had to settle for a guy whose been out of the league for two years.

Getting Klacko to respond to you isn't a trolling win. He bites on everything.

You're a ******* Raiders fans. I win.

Getting Klacko to respond to you isn't a trolling win. He bites on everything.

You're a ******* Raiders fans. I win.

You are inside the dogmatic view of Kleckos brain.

Klecko is the defending world champion troll killer :akf:

Wrong. He had to take the job nobody else wanted.

Odd. Rex was the "hottest" coaching candidate, but he had to take the only job he was offered?

Look at these two Ms. Cleo (lol), always guessing wrong.  These two kept saying that Rex will never get another HC job.

Not only these two "know it all" were wrong but now they are messing with facts. 

Rex was the first HC hired.  These two actually know for sure (like when they knew  that Rex will never get another HC job) that the others team that Rex interviewed were not going to offer Rex their HC position.   :shutup:

Archived