Expect the Jets to Blitz - A lot.

Patriot Killa

This means we will have to sign or draft at least 2 LBs with speed long time coming

Agree. We need speed LB's. As much as I like the 3-4, I believe if Bowles thinks he's got something in Coples, then we need to move to a 4-3 ask QC to take off about 10 lbs and make his primary function rushing the passer. Can you see a line of Coples, Richardson, Snacks, and Mo. They can also rotate between positions with the exception of Snacks. Take that line and add 2 more speedy LB's 1 via the draft, another via FA alongside D Davis. Sign 2 CB's in FA, and there should be good competition in camp and the makings for a pretty good defense. Now for offense, we need to hope Chip Kelly wants Mariota so we can swoop up a few extra pics. Take the best WR available at 20, then concentrate on O-Line with the next few picks, then BPA...

I understand what you're saying but if I can have a QB disregard half of the field because of 1 guy then I prefer that because that will give the defense an advantage. A good QB could still beat you by ignoring one half of the field 95% of the time, but your chances of beating that QB does go up dramatically in that situation as well. Its not like the QB's chances gets better in a situation like that. 

I understand why a team would want to pay alot of money for such a thing, but I'd rather give that money to a Sherman than a Revis given their age. 

Interesting, but Revis actually only takes away about 15 ft of the field either way. All you have to do to take him out of the game is send the guy he is covering on fly routes all day. The rest of the field is open for business. 

I loved Revis as a Jet and by no means am I disagreeing with him being great. But I agree with your notion that he simply is not worth the money. Period.

The only guy who should make the kind of money he makes is a QB. That's my thoughts on the Revis debate. :D

It can work two ways, you can blitz alot and hope you have great CB's or you can blitz alot, actually get to the QB, get turnovers and make your CB's who are average look good.  If you have a very consistent pass rush, that actually creates sacks and just as important turnovers you can actually protect your CBs' and make them look better than they are.

The great QB's that burn the blitz?  They are often checking down to a back or TE.

Seriously, do you really think Revis would take a $4MM pay cut to play for the Jets?

The more important question is do you think the Pats will pay him $20 million now that they got what they wanted out of him?

Belichick's ego probably now thinks that since Revis got burned for a TD in the SB and Butler picked off a pass he will start Butler now and not skip a beat in 2015. 

You do know Brady's completion percentage against blitzes last year was 82.9%?

I'm quite sure Rogers, Manning, Brees and Luck were about the same.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/06/05/qbs-in-focus-pressure-and-the-blitz/

Here's an excellent breakdown. Brady was good against the blitz but struggled against pressure. Brady's completion percentage against the blitz was actually 58.1%. 

you guys have 2 running backs and a free safety to pay. You're right, no way. At the most I see you guys signing Vereen and Revis back.

Personally, I think the Pats will tag McCourty, sign Vareen (he won't cost that much) and try to work out a 3-year deal with Revis.

I put the odds on Revis returning to the Pats about 50/50.

Personally, I think the Pats will tag McCourty, sign Vareen (he won't cost that much) and try to work out a 3-year deal with Revis.

I put the odds on Revis returning to the Pats about 50/50.

Revis is going to want somewhere in the $13-14 million range. He's gonna be 30 on opening day in 2015. Time to start asking when to expect diminishing returns. 

I think he may be a little  disappointed in the FA market.

If the Pats let him hit free agency, he is gone though. He's got a ring. Now he's gonna be completely about the money. Someone (Denver, Indy or Dallas) will outbid the Pats just to keep him away from them. 

Revis is going to want somewhere in the $13-14 million range. He's gonna be 30 on opening day in 2015. Time to start asking when to expect diminishing returns. 

I think he may be a little  disappointed in the FA market.

If the Pats let him hit free agency, he is gone though. He's got a ring. Now he's gonna be completely about the money. Someone (Denver, Indy or Dallas) will outbid the Pats just to keep him away from them. 

I pretty much agree with that.

I think the Pats can get Revis for in the $13-14 million range but it will all come down to what the guaranteed money will be.

That could be the deal breaker.

I pretty much agree with that.

I think the Pats can get Revis for in the $13-14 million range but it will all come down to what the guaranteed money will be.

That could be the deal breaker.

Not only that, but if him and Sean Gilbert think the Pats are low-balling him (which they most likely will) he will sign with the Jets or Bills out of spite. 

Dumb logic. Yes, he blitzed a lot in Arizona. Not because he loves to blitz but because that was the only way for them to put pressure on the QB! When you have Wilk, Sheldon & Coples you don't have to blitz whatsoever. We'll still blitz of course but now he will be much more comfortable dropping guys in coverage, being able to be more creative and do a lot more things on defense without being exposed or risking too much by blitzing 2-3 linebackers all the time.

Archived