QB Thoughts

KRL

- It will be interesting to see what Bradford does in STL with the team wanting
to restructure his contract:

http://www.si.com/nfl/2015/02/09/st-louis-rams-sam-bradford-contract

If it was me (and I'm sure I'm healthy) I would look to get cut and generate a
bidding war with all the QB needy teams.  The smart thing would be for he and
his agent to setup a "Combine-type" workout and invite everyone to check him out

- Our best draft day QB scenario would be for Mariota to drop to #6 and hope a
bidding war starts between PHI & CLE.  PHI would want him because Kelly is running
the show and with Manziel in rehab you know CLE would try to make another "splash".
It would be fascinating to see the offers that could come our way if this happened:

* CLE #1 and #2

* PHI #1 and #2 and #3 or maybe to sweeten the pot, Foles instead of the #3

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's a crazy completely out of the box scenario.  What if the Skins decide they're willing to start over at QB, (they did just bring in a new GM who has no ties to RG3) and they go ahead andd draft Marriotta and send RG3 to Philly?  I know it's crazy because you really don't want to trade RG3 within the division but his skillset could translate well in Chip Kelly's offense.

Since we need a QB, odds are teams like the Eagles/Browns would trade up to 5 to snag Mariota (possibly higher).

I think this scenario suggests we get Bradford, and Mariota falls to 6, as teams won't feel the Jets would be in the QB market then.

Here's a crazy completely out of the box scenario. What if the Skins decide they're willing to start over at QB, (they did just bring in a new GM who has no ties to RG3) and they go ahead andd draft Marriotta and send RG3 to Philly? I know it's crazy because you really don't want to trade RG3 within the division but his skillset could translate well in Chip Kelly's offense.

I agree with you, I think the Redskins would take him if he is there, it's not crazy at all RG 3 is done. I think if Philly wanted him they would move up to 4 to grab him, no way Mariota makes it til 6. I really don't want anything to do with Bradford though.

No way Cleveland goes after a QB, no chance at all imo.

All the pre-draft talk usually doesn't amount to much, but sporting news reporting Browns interested in trading up for Mariota FWIW.

nfl-draft-2015-cleveland-browns-marcus-mariota-jameis-winston-trade-rumors-johnny-manziel-mock

The Browns are reportedly interested in trading up for a quarterback in this year's draft.

Cleveland is most interested in 2014 Heisman winner quarterback Marcus Mariota, but 2013 winner Jameis Winston is in consideration as well, according to Bleacher Report's Jason Cole. He points out the Browns own the 12th and the 19th overall picks in the draft, so they have enough firepower to make a deal.

MORE: Mariota goes No. 1, Winston falls to Jets in latest Mock Draft 

Another element is the uncertainty of Johnny Manziel. The team has doubts about Manziel's future, and those doubts were elevated when he entered a treatment facility last week, Cole reports. 

The Browns consider Mariota as someone who is "far more dependable" than what the team has now. The Eagles are also reportedly interested in trading up for Mariota

I think this scenario suggests we get Bradford, and Mariota falls to 6, as teams won't feel the Jets would be in the QB market then.

But who's taking a QB after the Jets?  The Bears seem like the only team that might be interested in the next few picks...  Can't the Browns just sit and wait?

But who's taking a QB after the Jets?  The Bears seem like the only team that might be interested in the next few picks...  Can't the Browns just sit and wait?

Trade for Mike Glennon. If Mariota falls to us and teams feel like they can wait because we're not going to draft him then I say draft him. Once those teams are on the clock then deal Mariota. You can do that with the Browns, Bears, Philly, Texans etc. 

We dont have to let Mariota pass us. We would just have to do something unconventional. 

- It will be interesting to see what Bradford does in STL with the team wanting to restructure his contract:

I wouldn't touch Bradford with a 10-foot pole. First of all the instant the pole makes contact will put him on the shelf for six to eight weeks. Then the first d-lineman that sacks him puts him out for the rest of the season. I have a couple of good friends who are lifelong Rams fans and they say buyer beware. He hasn't played a full season yet. Why would that change in NY?  

Here's a crazy completely out of the box scenario.  What if the Skins decide they're willing to start over at QB, (they did just bring in a new GM who has no ties to RG3) and they go ahead andd draft Marriotta and send RG3 to Philly?  I know it's crazy because you really don't want to trade RG3 within the division but his skillset could translate well in Chip Kelly's offense.

Good luck and who the hell cares?

Mike Glennon. 

IMO, best possible scenario would be a deal for Nick Foles involving swap of first rounders with Philly, use a mid-round pick to trade for Glennon.  Let Foles, Glennon, Geno fight for the starting job. 

Really? The same Mike Glennon that hasn't done squat with TWO top WR's? He's going to come here with the trash we have at the position and do well? Please. 

Yes, really. Go and watch those Tampa games. Watch how many drops those Top WR's commit, including their top rookie TE. Go back and watch how many false starts or other penalties back up their offense, and on 3rd and long watch Glennon complete passes for the 1st down only to be called back by penalties. Watch how that offensive line can't hold blocks or open up adequate holes for Doug Martin and Bobby Rainey, making that offense one dimensional.

Im not sure if you actually watched his games or you're just watching the names of his WR's. Mike Glennon looks like a Good QB on a bad team that have two good WR's that tend to drop passes at times. He's certainly better than Geno Smith. 

IMO, best possible scenario would be a deal for Nick Foles involving swap of first rounders with Philly, use a mid-round pick to trade for Glennon.  Let Foles, Glennon, Geno fight for the starting job. 

I'd like to think we can get more than just Nick Foles for moving all the way back to Philly's pick.  Hopefully their #2.

I wouldnt mind that at all. Im high on Glennon because I think acquiring him is much more realistic than finding a way to get Foles. 

Going back and watching Tampa bay's games last night (Thanks to CM28) It just reconfirmed what I felt about Glennon and Tampa. Glennon is on a bad team no doubt, but he gets no support from the organization and the problems that I see the Bucs have on offense Jameis Winston wont be able to fix. 

I'd give Tampa this years 3rd rounder for Mike Glennon no question. 

There's no way Cleveland goes from Manziel to Mariota in two drafts.

If they dont go into free agency I believe they would. Who would be their QB? Sure, they can go with Manziel, but I heard his first year there was a "joke" and the guy certainly is in no position at the moment to lead other men when he can't properly lead himself. 

I'd like to think we can get more than just Nick Foles for moving all the way back to Philly's pick.  Hopefully their #2.

Yeah, I meant with Foles and swapping first round picks being a starting point.  Foles and #20 for #6 wouldn't be enough IMO.

I wouldnt mind that at all. Im high on Glennon because I think acquiring him is much more realistic than finding a way to get Foles. 

Going back and watching Tampa bay's games last night (Thanks to CM28) It just reconfirmed what I felt about Glennon and Tampa. Glennon is on a bad team no doubt, but he gets no support from the organization and the problems that I see the Bucs have on offense Jameis Winston wont be able to fix. 

I'd give Tampa this years 3rd rounder for Mike Glennon no question. 

In a heartbeat...he played very well all-around and completed 66% of his passes as a rookie against Seattle last season.  Lovie gave him NO SHOT to compete for the starting job once he got McCown. 

- It will be interesting to see what Bradford does in STL with the team wanting

to restructure his contract:

I think out of all the QB available, Bradford is the one with the most upside.  If he becomes available I hope the Jets try to bring him here.

If they dont go into free agency I believe they would. Who would be their QB? Sure, they can go with Manziel, but I heard his first year there was a "joke" and the guy certainly is in no position at the moment to lead other men when he can't properly lead himself. 

If they draft a guy coming from that offense and he flops a year after Manziel, they're ALL getting fired.

In a heartbeat...he played very well all-around and completed 66% of his passes as a rookie against Seattle last season.  Lovie gave him NO SHOT to compete for the starting job once he got McCown. 

Exactly. I went through Glennon's 2014 games last night. Im currently watching his rookie season again. This kid is a good quarterback. 

Exactly. I went through Glennon's 2014 games last night. Im currently watching his rookie season again. This kid is a good quarterback. 

Yep...people look past him because he "couldn't start" for the lowly bucs, but they forget that McCown was immediately named the starter when TB acquired him.  Despite playing well as a rook, he was overlooked to start in year two.

I liked Glennon coming out of college, and would have strongly preferred them not take Geno at the time and grab Glenon a round later.

I think you can win with Glennon. I don't think you win because of him, but you can definitely win with him if you have the right team around him.

If they draft a guy coming from that offense and he flops a year after Manziel, they're ALL getting fired.

Cleveland is not exactly known for staying the course.  They have been changing coaches like Jerry Jones on a bender.  They are probably all getting fired no matter what QB they have.  At least with a new body they could play the old - he's showing potential angle.

I think good may be stretching it, but certainly intriguing.  More TDs than INTs in such a young QB is a great start, particularly with a defensive coach.  I think the Jets would have been ecstatic with that kind of performance.  I'm not giving up a 2nd for him though, even if he is dirt cheap.  He makes even less than Geno!

I'm just hoping we have the balls to cut Geno (or trade him, but I don't think he has much value). His sh*t play aside, if this franchise is serious about a real culture change, it will start with a low risk/high reward move. We lose nothing by cutting him, and the rest of the players get a serious message sent their way by cutting a higher profile guy. No Sheldon, you can't tell the fans to produce football babies if they want to complain. No everyone else, you cannot be late to meetings. We do not care who you are, this franchise will no longer stand for bullsh*t from its players. Clown car days are over.

Yep...people look past him because he "couldn't start" for the lowly bucs, but they forget that McCown was immediately named the starter when TB acquired him.  Despite playing well as a rook, he was overlooked to start in year two.

Everything that I've seen from Glennon tells me that if Tampa doesnt want him New York should. We have a better offensive line and a better overall running attack. Though Tampa has better receivers, I think Glennon would be okay being able to pass the rock behind a line that allowed Geno to be one of the league leaders in holding the football the longest during passing plays, and having targets like Decker and Kerley. We should definitely be trying to get a quality WR in FA as well as drafting another. I think Glennon would do great here. 

I liked Glennon coming out of college, and would have strongly preferred them not take Geno at the time and grab Glenon a round later.

I think you can win with Glennon. I don't think you win because of him, but you can definitely win with him if you have the right team around him.

Thats what we need right now. He rarely turns over the ball in comparison to what we've had to deal with the past 8 years, he has a powerful arm to stretch the field, and he can hit targets in stride. Im watching him right now and the kid is impressive enough to trade for. 

Archived