Jjets have one of the NFL's lowest-ranked rosters...how low is it ? ? ?

kelly

Jets have one of the NFL's lowest-ranked rosters. How low is it ?

The Star-Ledger

Reddit

Email

jets stock The Jets went 4-12 last season and stunk their way into the sixth pick in this year's NFL draft.

So you had to figure, as various rankings emerged this offseason, that the Jets wouldn't fare too well in any of them.

And if you figured that, you figured correctly.

Well, at least as it pertains to Evan Silva's team needs and roster rankings list over at Rotoworld.

Silva ranks the Jets' roster 29th, ahead of only Tampa Bay, Cleveland and Tennessee. Oakland and Jacksonville are 27th and 28th.

Here's what Silva had to say about the Jets' needs this offseason:

QB:

Although he continued to flash in spurts, Geno Smith's inconsistency didn't diminish during his second NFL season. It may simply be who he is. The free agent quarterback market is typically desolate, so the Jets may find it difficult to upgrade unless Oregon's Marcus Mariota slips to the sixth pick in the draft.

CB:

The Jets closed out the season starting Darrin Walls and UDFA Marcus Williams at cornerback. Both would be hard pressed to make other teams' rosters, let alone play significant snaps. With slot CB Kyle Wilson's contract up, New York needs as many as three new cornerbacks to fill out its depth chart.

OL:

LT D'Brickashaw Ferguson and C Nick Mangold remain the stalwart linemen for the Jets. RG Willie Colon, LG Oday Aboushi, and RT Breno Giacomini were all below-average starters in 2014. The Jets definitely need one new starting offensive lineman, and as many as three.

OLB:

Wideout, running back, inside linebacker, and safety could all use reinforcements. Outside linebacker is a slightly bigger need as a position Rex Ryan routinely got away without aggressively addressing, but one where new coach Todd Bowles will need improved play. While Quinton Coples may be able to fill the edge-setting role, more pass rush is needed than 34-year-old Calvin Pace and 35-year-old Jason Babin can provide.

Some thoughts on Silva's thoughts :

• Even if the Jets land Mariota at No. 6, it is no sure thing that he'd be ready to start in Week 1. He faces a steep learning curve in the NFL, as we've mentioned, though if the Jets' new offensive coordinator, Chan Gailey, opts for a spread offense, that could help Mariota's transition. Still, it is far too early to say Mariota would be a cure-all for the Jets' quarterback woes.

• As Silva alluded to, former first-round draft pick Kyle Wilson, a bust, almost certainly won't be retained when his rookie contract expires this offseason. The Jets could conceivably play Dexter McDougle in the slot and Dee Milliner outside. Then again, both guys are returning from serious injuries. Since this draft class isn't brimming with elite cornerbacks, the Jets need to address the corner position in free agency. It seems likely that the Jets will acquire at least two new corners this offseason, given the uncertainty around McDougle's and Milliner's situations. In free agency, might they target their old pal Antonio Cromartie?

• It seems a stretch to say the Jets need three new starting offensive linemen. They seem unlikely to give up on Giacomini after one season. Colon almost certainly won't be back. With the Aboushi/Brian Winters situation at left guard unclear, it's possible the Jets could have new starters next season at both guard spots. But it would be a surprise if Giacomini gets booted from the starting lineup.

• Like Ryan, Bowles uses a 3-4 defense, so edge rushers are important. That's why, despite the Jets' glaring need at quarterback, some mock drafts have projected the Jets to select guys like Nebraska's Randy Gregory, Missouri's Shane Ray and Florida's Dante Fowler Jr. with the sixth overall pick, as you can see in the photo gallery below.

> http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2015/02/jets_have_one_of_the_nfls_lowest-ranked_rosters_ho.html

Can't really overstate the importance of Milliner/McDougle.  If they can get stay on the field and play well, we could see it go from one of their biggest weaknesses to one of their biggest strengths depending on who they pursue in FA.  Could go from carrying a few CB's who don't really belong in the league, to several who could step in and start/play at a high level if somebody goes down.

Can't really overstate the importance of Milliner/McDougle. If they can get stay on the field and play well, we could see it go from one of their biggest weaknesses to one of their biggest strengths depending on who they pursue in FA. Could go from carrying a few CB's who don't really belong in the league, to several who could step in and start/play at a high level if somebody goes down.

Based on Idzik track record I wouldn't have faith in either one. Milliner has the talent but he is glass. Mcdougle could be another dud like Kyle Wilson. That's why I want to sign 2 corners

Based on Idzik track record I wouldn't have faith in either one. Milliner has the talent but he is glass. Mcdougle could be another dud like Kyle Wilson. That's why I want to sign 2 corners

Between the draft and FA I'd be surprised if they don't add more than two.  Milliner has had some injuries but didn't miss much time before turning pro.  I'm not giving up on him or McDougle yet, but that doesn't mean they won't be preparing for a scenario in which one or both can't stay on the field.

Between the draft and FA I'd be surprised if they don't add more than two. Milliner has had some injuries but didn't miss much time before turning pro. I'm not giving up on him or McDougle yet, but that doesn't mean they won't be preparing for a scenario in which one or both can't stay on the field.

There are way too many good corners in FA for our FO to be negligent again and just sit on its hands.

with one of the cheapest rosters in the league what do you really expect?  Throw in Idzik's mind-numbing 12 pick fiasco last April, Geno's suckitude, and you have a recipe for irrelevance. 

If the Jets can get on par with everyone else in spending it should immediately fill some gaps.   Add 2 starters in the draft, a vet QB, and this team is at least competitive next season.   

There are way too many good corners in FA for our FO to be negligent again and just sit on its hands.

Really no reason to think they'll sit on their hands.  Idzik was about the only guy on the planet who didn't value CB play.  All this talk about the Jets announcing that they will spend big in FA is silly because even if they didn't want to they'd have to per the new CBA.  No logical reason to expect QB and CB won't be top priorities.

Best case scenario for the Jets is that Mariota falls to 6 & Cleveland is interested. If Philly is interested a deal could be made for Foles.

I don't see this new staff giving up on Geno.

With the GM coming from Houston & Chan Gailey who coached Fitzpatrick in Buffalo don't be surprised if he's the free agent veteran QB they bring in.

Personally I think that with the money the Jets have & the amount of young free agents (26-28 years old) that are available & another draft coming up we could go from a severely thin team to one that's very deep.

Some of the young players that got experience over the last couple years & last year will get bumped down to where the belonged, as backups. Walls, Williams, Antonio Allen, will become role players instead of starters.

If the Jets sign a player like Iupati they could have a deep Oline with Freeman, Aboushi, Dozier, Winters & they will probably draft another RT.

Even the wide receivers. They have Decker, if they sign someone like Macklin or draft a Cooper, guys like Owusu, Graham, Enunwa fight it out for the end of the roster creating great depth.

We can fix a lot of holes with 50 million & the great list of young free agents this year.

A real QB

two new lineman

the highest rated CB that hits the market, one of McDougle or Milliner will be able to play well enough

A FS

a real, talented OLB who can get to the QB

Entirely diffrent team

its only six new starters, Two from draft and Four from FA.  Not that hard to do with the cap room the Jets have.

QB from FA or trade

One lineman from draft one from FA

CB from FA

FS from FA

OLB from #6 pick

A real QB

two new lineman

the highest rated CB that hits the market, one of McDougle or Milliner will be able to play well enough

A FS

a real, talented OLB who can get to the QB

Entirely diffrent team

its only six new starters, Two from draft and Four from FA.  Not that hard to do with the cap room the Jets have.

QB from FA or trade

One lineman from draft one from FA

CB from FA

FS from FA

OLB from #6 pick

What real qb is there to pick?  We ain't getting either of the 2 top prospects.

Can't depend on the two CB's from the last two drafts as starters. Sign two FA CB's. Forget about Cro. He would come here inexpensively, but the Jets need to chase after the ring not just more wins. Draft a real OLB. The Jets can no longer patch around that position with older players.

Maybe get a new MLB in FA too.

Go to a 4-3. Get Coples hand in the dirt. That guy can play.

Get a new G in FA. Draft a WR and get one in FA. May have to cut Harvin. Keep CJ2K. 4.3 YPC is hard to cut loose. Draft a young RB as the Jets may lose Powell.

QB will be tough to get this year. We may be stuck with Geno. He is still young so it is not a total loss. No rookie is going to come in and win the SB for the Jets next season. Try to coach him up for a change and keep his All Pro mouth shut.

I kind of wanted to stop here

QB: Although he continued to flash in spurts, 

After reading further

whats the deal with hating on UDFA Marcus Williams? I remember thinking where the hell has this kid been all season. I thought he play pretty good. I fully admit it might be because i was just used to watching such bad play that it made him seem good, idk.

Can't really overstate the importance of Milliner/McDougle.  If they can get stay on the field and play well, we could see it go from one of their biggest weaknesses to one of their biggest strengths depending on who they pursue in FA.  Could go from carrying a few CB's who don't really belong in the league, to several who could step in and start/play at a high level if somebody goes down.

Milliner is a bust. Write it down. He was injured a lot in college and has been nothing but an injury waiting to happen in the NFL. Coming off an achillies tear is probably the hardest injury to recover from for a DB. He is toast. McDougle is another one who is never healthy, so forget about him. Kyle Wilson is a waste of time as is Darrin Walls. I do like Marcus Williams and think he can develop into something pretty good. Otherwise it's like starting from scratch at CB.

Milliner is a bust. Write it down. He was injured a lot in college and has been nothing but an injury waiting to happen in the NFL. Coming off an achillies tear is probably the hardest injury to recover from for a DB. He is toast. McDougle is another one who is never healthy, so forget about him. Kyle Wilson is a waste of time as is Darrin Walls. I do like Marcus Williams and think he can develop into something pretty good. Otherwise it's like starting from scratch at CB.

You may be right on all counts, but for me personally, I don't like the idea of a team giving up on a player who has shown potential after just a year or two.  All we can do at this point is hope, but the have to hedge their bets in the  meantime and add some more CB's.  I don't mind Walls either.  For what he costs he's a solid player.  Wilson however....not a fan at all. 

Archived