This one's for "The Troll" .....Glennon Man Crush!

32EBoozer

http://www.pewterreport.com/articles/buccaneers-potential-trade-partners-for-qb-glennon/

Scott Reynolds

Buccaneers’ Potential Trade Partners For QB Glennon

PewterReport.com began last week’s three-day Trade Bait series with quarterback Mike Glennon where it was noted that the Buccaneers would have no problem keeping the former third-round pick in 2013. However, Tampa Bay will draft a quarterback with the first overall selection in 2015 and the team believes Glennon would be a good backup because he is capable of winning games in the NFL with a better offensive line and running game.

But Glennon is itching for the opportunity to compete for a starting job somewhere and wouldn’t be the mentor for either Florida State quarterback Jameis Winston or Oregon’s Marcus Martiota that Josh McCown would be because of his desire to start. While Glennon isn’t the quarterback of the future for the franchise, it doesn’t mean that he’s not a quarterback in Tampa Bay’s future.

Bucs head coach Lovie Smith and general manager Jason Licht see value in Glennon’s experience and his upside working with new offensive coordinator Dirk Koetter, who has a great track record for developing pocket passers. Tampa Bay won’t just give Glennon away, but will entertain offers from other QB-needy teams, especially in a draft that is poor in quarterback quality and quantity after Winston and Mariota, who are both expected to be selected in the top 10.

Presently there are more teams that need quarterbacks than there are starting-caliber quarterbacks, and that’s where there could be a strong market for the 6-foot-6 signal caller. Here are a couple of potential partners with needs at the quarterback position that Tampa Bay could trade with:

Cleveland Browns
Despite yet another head coach and general manager change, the Browns organization remains a mess, further compounded by spending a first-round pick on quarterback Johnny Manziel, who reportedly has an alcohol problem and struggled mightily in his first – and only – two NFL starts last year. Brian Hoyer likely won’t be back next year and the Browns may be desperate for another young QB to compete with Manziel for the right to start. In a draft class weak at the position after Winston and Mariota, trading for Glennon may be an ideal scenario.

Buffalo Bills
New head coach Rex Ryan is inheriting E.J. Manuel, who appears to be more of a backup quarterback than the starter he was expected to become when he was Buffalo’s first-round pick in 2013. Kyle Orton, who beat Manuel out last year, retired this offseason. Ryan likes strong-armed quarterbacks and Glennon would bring that to Buffalo, in addition to experience and intelligence.

New York Jets
The former regime invested a second-round pick into Geno Smith, but he has not proven to be a starting-caliber quarterback and new head coach Todd Bowles may want this own guy. That may or may not be Mariota or Winston, and neither could be available when the Jets are on the clock with the sixth overall pick. Bowles spent the last two years in Arizona and saw what a no-nonsense quarterback looks like in Palmer. Glennon has some similar traits and is a film room guy that takes football very seriously.

Houston Texans
Neither Ryan Fitzpatrick nor Ryan Mallett appears to be the answer in Houston, and Mallett could leave in free agency. Fitzpatrick was benched for Mallett late in the season, and there are plenty of folks in Houston that believe the quarterback position is holding the Texans back from making the playoffs. With Bill O’Brien’s ability to develop quarterbacks, a young passer, like Glennon with a nice TD:INT ratio, could be attractive for the team in 2015 and beyond.

Tennessee Titans
The Titans have the second overall pick in 2015 and could use it on either Mariota or Winston, but the thinking here is that they will trade down or draft a defensive player because Ken Whisenhunt likes the potential of Zach Mettenberger, last year’s sixth-round pick. Having a young, experienced quarterback like Glennon on the team to compete with Mettenberger would be ideal and give the Titans options at QB in 2015, as well as more options in the draft, especially in the first round.

St. Louis Rams
The Rams are rumored to be interested in trading for Nick Foles to replace Sam Bradford. With a playoff-ready defense, St. Louis has to get the quarterback position right, and Glennon has an upside in addition to 19 games worth of starting experience over the past two seasons. If the Rams don’t acquire Foles in a trade, they could turn to Glennon, who deserves the right to compete for a starting job.

Arizona Cardinals
Carson Palmer signed a long-term contract extension prior to tearing his ACL last season. That injury derailed the Cardinals’ postseason run as the team was 9-1 prior to his knee injury, and just 2-5 down the stretch, including a playoff loss to Carolina in which Arizona mustered just 77 yards of offense. Licht knows general manager Steve Keim and head coach Bruce Arians quite well, having spent two years with the Cardinals before becoming the Bucs G.M., and that relationship could help foster a trade for Glennon, who would be an upgrade over Drew Stanton and Logan Thomas, who appears to be a bust.

Washington Redskins
It’s hard to believe that neither Robert Griffin III nor Kirk Cousins is panning out in Washington, and that Colt McCoy may be the best QB right now for the Redskins. If Jay Gruden hits the reset button at quarterback and trades RGIII and or Cousins, they may want to restock with Glennon, a local kid from the D.C. area. Glennon is a smart, studious signal caller, which Gruden would greatly appreciate after dealing with Griffin last year.

Chicago Bears
The Bears aren’t enamored with Jay Cutler anymore, which is disappointing considering how big of a contract extension he was given last year. New coach John Fox has no allegiance to him although Cutler’s salary will likely demand that he’ll remain a Bear for at least 2015. Fox would be wise to try to acquire a future starter, and Glennon might remind him of his former starter in Carolina, pocket passer Jake Delhomme.

Tampa Bay would be ecstatic to land a second-round pick for Glennon, but would likely settle for a third-rounder and would take no less than a fourth-rounder if they really wanted to move him. That draft pick could be turned into a starting offensive lineman that could be used to protect Winston or Mariota in 2015.

I don't think it's a man-crush. Statistically Glennon is better than any other qb available via trade or free agency. We don't run the Oregon offense what makes some jets fans so certain nick Foles is going to come here and be successful is beyond me.

He is not technically available.  He has two years left on his deal and he is locked up cheap.  If he is even worth competing as a starter he is probably going to cost a third. Tampa may still have a bad taste in their mouth from the Revis deal, but the FO moving pieces are all new.  Remember when Josh Freeman had that great TD/INT ratio?  What is he up to right now?  I have not watched enough of Glennon to make up my mind, but they did not put up points last year and it is easier to throw when you are getting crushed the way the Bucs tend to. 

Glennon isn't Geno, but he's not all that either. The guy had some pretty good receivers to throw to in Tampa. I don't like he seems to be a statue our there, and if the Bucks aren't sold, and they are drafting 1st, then why would the Jets at 6 want him, Pass. It's Mariota or Foles for me.

Most of the anti-Glennon people haven't watched him play. Not saying he's Brady but he is significantly better than the Colt Mccoys and Matt Moores. They just see the win-loss record and assume he sucks it can't just be Tampa's defense sucks and they lost a lot of close games.

I saw Glennon a bunch of times he even played well against the Seahawks defense at Centurylink 168 yards 2tds no picks and lost by a field goal.

But that's ok let's trade the farm for Nick Foles

Glennon isn't Geno, but he's not all that either. The guy had some pretty good receivers to throw to in Tampa. I don't like he seems to be a statue our there, and if the Bucks aren't sold, and they are drafting 1st, then why would the Jets at 6 want him, Pass. It's Mariota or Foles for me.

Not really. Glennon didn't get Mike Evans til last year and Evans even missed a couple games he played in. In 2013 he was making stats throwing to Tim Wright and Tiquan Underwood. Underwood isn't even in the nfl now. Kinda debunks the whole "he had great receivers argument"

I watched Glennon a lot more in college than the one game I saw at Tampa so maybe he's shown everybody something I didn't see in college. He's a good kid with a strong arm and the height you want to operate an NFL offense but I've never seen anything close to the kind of decision making, star power (gutsy throws or field leadership) you want out of a franchise QB. I thought the same about Mettenberger last year fwiw.

That said Eli Manning and Flacco can win you a super bowl with the same kind of skill set.  And Glennon is a less douchey Flacco/Mettenberger (or has seemed it). He'd be someone I could root for, although, tbh, wouldn't have a lot of faith in, in playoff/big game environments...but that's probably based more on his soft demeanor and history of inaccuracy in some college games I saw of him. He could mature into that bigger role or just needs to be in the right offense with the right skill set surrounding him. 

Can't argue with his 6'7 frame and strong arm. Although I always thought his arm was overrated. He was horrible on deep outs accuracy (again from what I saw at NC State). And yeah, I realize I'm just a fan, but that's what I saw. He also has ZERO mobility and terrible pocket awareness.

Slim pickings so fine if they wanted to give him a year under center. I'd be more optimistic with Glennon than Geno heading into the year fwiw. 

Dude could have nickname like "Glennon the Herron" with that neck.

Glennon or Foles are my choices. Honestly still don't know if any one of them will be much better than Geno in his 3rd year but we have to keep hedging our bets when it comes to getting a signal caller.

Geno just has to get his head out of his azz regarding taking care of the ball. Whether fumbling or throwing picks. Throw it away, live for another day. He's had a few doozies too when he throws when he could have just run & slid.

No matter who plays there has to be a zero tolerance for being casual with the ball. We're still gonna be a team that depends on defense & taking care of the ball if we want to win a bunch of games.

The problem with that draft is Geno should never have started his first season.  Instead, our genius HC and GM force fed him into the starting role that he clearly wasn't ready for.   Fortunately for Glennon, he was given a chance to watch from the sidelines and learn before getting the starting job.  

I wouldn't mind trading for Glennon but with so many teams needing a QB I don't want to see the Jets overpay for him.  As much as people really don't want to admit it, Geno really did play better the last month or so of the season and it is no slam dunk that Glennon would be him out in camp.  

Dude could have nickname like "Glennon the Herron" with that neck.

Glennon or Foles are my choices. Honestly still don't know if any one of them will be much better than Geno in his 3rd year but we have to keep hedging our bets when it comes to getting a signal caller.

Geno just has to get his head out of his azz regarding taking care of the ball. Whether fumbling or throwing picks. Throw it away, live for another day. He's had a few doozies too when he throws when he could have just run & slid.

No matter who plays there has to be a zero tolerance for being casual with the ball. We're still gonna be a team that depends on defense & taking care of the ball if we want to win a bunch of games.

THIS

The Jets better pull the trigger on this dude. 

So what are you prepared to give up for him?  It is not as simple as "pulling the trigger".   With all the other teams needing a QB what do you think it will cost to get him?  Personally I am not trading anything higher than a 4th or 5th rounder and that probably won't get it done. 

So what are you prepared to give up for him?  It is not as simple as "pulling the trigger".   With all the other teams needing a QB what do you think it will cost to get him?  Personally I am not trading anything higher than a 4th or 5th rounder and that probably won't get it done. 

Im prepared to give up a 4th rounder, a 3rd rounder or go as high as a 2nd rounder. I would be comfortable with a 3rd rounder for sure. 

This draft is projecting to have average talent. If the Bucs really pressured us for the 2nd rounder this would be the year to give it to them, though we would need to also trade down from #6 to compensate.

The problem with that draft is Geno should never have started his first season.  Instead, our genius HC and GM force fed him into the starting role that he clearly wasn't ready for.   Fortunately for Glennon, he was given a chance to watch from the sidelines and learn before getting the starting job.  

I wouldn't mind trading for Glennon but with so many teams needing a QB I don't want to see the Jets overpay for him.  As much as people really don't want to admit it, Geno really did play better the last month or so of the season and it is no slam dunk that Glennon would be him out in camp.  

Certain things you get by underpaying, certain things you get just right, certain things you get by overpaying. If Glennon can solidify the QB position with a 2nd round pick I wouldnt call that overpaying. If we get Glennon for a 4th round pick and he tanks then we overpaid. 

Thats the way it goes. As long as he can be productive then I feel that it would warrant what we spent to get him. I'd rather spend a 2nd on Glennon than a #6 on Mariota if he fell to us. 

As much as I'd like to keep Harvin we would probably be smart to cut him, keep our 4th & use it to trade for Glennon.

No way am I trading a 3rd for benched QB.

It' would be like Tampa saying, "oh no, a 4th is too little, we want your 3rd".

Our response, "you started McCown over him...why?"

Our 4th is a high 4th, (I think 5th overall?) that should be way more than enough to entice Tampa. Teams don't throw away draft picks anymore, well most teams don't, Rex liked to play around with late picks.

I could deal with Glennon he show flashes of being a franchise QB, the funny thing is he was in the same draft as Geno but the better prospect for sure.

He also had the luxury of watching and learning where Geno was thrust into the starting line up.  It was obvious to everyone except the Jets that Geno was very raw and not ready to be a starting QB.   Sanchez' injury was the only reason he got the starting nod. 

Im prepared to give up a 4th rounder, a 3rd rounder or go as high as a 2nd rounder. I would be comfortable with a 3rd rounder for sure. 

This draft is projecting to have average talent. If the Bucs really pressured us for the 2nd rounder this would be the year to give it to them, though we would need to also trade down from #6 to compensate.

No way am I giving up a 2nd rounder for Glennon; no freaking way.  The Jets 2nd rounder is just 6 picks into the second round and there will be some very good players still on the board.  I would rather draft a Devin Smith or Devin Funchess and give Geno or any other QB we get, more weapons to work with.  If we trade down and get an additional 2nd and/or third rounder I might consider it but still would not be too keen on it.   Glennon is just too immobile and the first 3 rounds of this draft will have some very good talent in it. 

Certain things you get by underpaying, certain things you get just right, certain things you get by overpaying. If Glennon can solidify the QB position with a 2nd round pick I wouldnt call that overpaying. If we get Glennon for a 4th round pick and he tanks then we overpaid. 

Thats the way it goes. As long as he can be productive then I feel that it would warrant what we spent to get him. I'd rather spend a 2nd on Glennon than a #6 on Mariota if he fell to us. 

That is a HUGE IF. I don't even know if he can beat out Geno at this point so hell no I am not giving up a 2nd rounder.  If Mariotta is sitting at 6 I would rather trade down and get more picks and trade at most 4th and 5th round pick for Glennon.  Nothing higher; he has not proven to be worth any more than that.   

That is a HUGE IF. I don't even know if he can beat out Geno at this point so hell no I am not giving up a 2nd rounder.  If Mariotta is sitting at 6 I would rather trade down and get more picks and trade at most 4th and 5th round pick for Glennon.  Nothing higher; he has not proven to be worth any more than that.   

It's all a huge if, thats the beauty in it. 

No way am I giving up a 2nd rounder for Glennon; no freaking way.  The Jets 2nd rounder is just 6 picks into the second round and there will be some very good players still on the board.  I would rather draft a Devin Smith or Devin Funchess and give Geno or any other QB we get, more weapons to work with.  If we trade down and get an additional 2nd and/or third rounder I might consider it but still would not be too keen on it.   Glennon is just too immobile and the first 3 rounds of this draft will have some very good talent in it. 

I'd rather give the 3rd to Tampa. If the Jets feel as strongly as I do then they could consider a 2nd rounder. Its not like we're going to be the only team looking to deal for Glennon, atleast I doubt that. I want Devin Smith too, but there's alot of guys in the draft I want. Some will bust some will succeed. I think evaluating Glennon on a professional level is a much more safe bet in regards to trading draft picks than evaluating college players that has never played on this level. You can see much clearer what you're getting with Glennon. 

My bold prediction, we are going to get the other guy.  They will keep Glennon and we will pick up McCown.

Sorry I would rather stick with Geno for another year and just beef up the offensive line and get him more weapons.   There will be future opportunities to add a QB if Geno proves he is not the answer.   I am not going to panic and trade a number 2 for Glennon; that would be stupid.  That would be SOJ kind of move. 

Archived