Free Agency Twitter Updates

DaBallhawk

is he any good? i didnt check the numbers yet.

Not as good as I thougjt.

James Carpenter, Seattle Seahawks

6’4” | 313 lbs | 26 years old

Drafted in Round 1 (No. 25 overall pick) in 2011

Last Contract: Four years, $7.6 million

Carpenter started 13 games in 2014 and was ranked 47th out of 78 guards on PFF with an overall score of -6.6. Carpenter struggled with run blocking last season, but perhaps a change of scenery and blocking schemes could do him good. He likely wouldn’t command much money on the open market.

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Former #Seahawks OG James Carpenter will sign with the #NYJets per source

This is a good signing if true. I have always been impressed anytime I saw him play, and he is the right type of player to be signing. Young, physical, former 1st round pick. Good news.

Well, if anyone puts stock into PFF, not entirely certain how Carpenter is anything to be excited about. Not sure any free agent OG graded out worse.  All in all, that sounds about right.

He's in the top 10 of FA guards for what its worth.  So there is a lot worse we could do.  He also grades 6 spots higher than Colon.  So yeah pretty sure its an upgrade.  Unless of course he commits twice as many penalties :)

Carpenter started 13 games in 2014 and was ranked 47th out of 78 guards on PFF with an overall score of -6.6. Carpenter struggled with run blocking last season, but perhaps a change of scenery and blocking schemes could do him good. He likely wouldn’t command much money on the open market.

I'll gladly take struggling on run protection then pass protection.  Upgrade imo!

PFF has Pryor on the All-Rookie team and was praising K. Wilson as a top slot corner, which he is not.

Like most sabremetrics, algorithms, they take it way too far.

The addendum for Pryor was the dearth of rookie safeties and the fact that he had more snaps than most. I actually fairly like PFF's grades for oline, dline and CBs, but it's certainly a tool to be used in conjunction with other evaluating metrics, not the end-all. That having been said, he's young and a former 1st round pick.   I don't like to rely on teh eyeball test, but every time I saw Seattle's Oline, it was typically a mess. Certainly better than Winters starting another season though.

So folks are upset Cary Williams didn't sign with us?

Are fans really lowing their standards just because you want to see the Jets on the FA ticker???

Are the same folks really upset Brandon Maxwell, a #2 CB went for huge money to Philly?

Again settling just because you want the Jets to make some noise?

The paranoia needs to stop, wait a week into the start of FA, which doesn't begin until tomorrow.

The same approach that had us prepared to roll out Dimitri Patterson, Dexter McDougle, Darrin Walls, Kyle Wilson, etc. at corner all year? No. We have 0 corners. How about getting 1 to start off? At the rate CBs are going, which great "value" signing do you think we're going to make a week from now?

I have been reading this thread just fine...

Then you are just trolling and trying to stir up trouble.  So if you want to have this back and forth analysis lets do it in pm.  I'll gladly show where your reading comprehension fails.  Keep it out of the news thread though.

nvm.  I've taken the bait enough alrdy.  Still learning who's who around here.

The addendum for Pryor was the dearth of rookie safeties and the fact that he had more snaps than most. I actually fairly like PFF's grades for oline, dline and CBs, but it's certainly a tool to be used in conjunction with other evaluating metrics, not the end-all. That having been said, he's young and a former 1st round pick. I don't like to rely on teh eyeball test, but every time I saw Seattle's Oline, it was typically a mess. Certainly better than Winters starting another season though.

They were one stupid pass away from back to back SBs. How bad could the O line be?

Then you are just trolling and trying to stir up trouble.  So if you want to have this back and forth analysis lets do it in pm.  I'll gladly show where your reading comprehension fails.  Keep it out of the news thread though.

You call me out and then tell me to take it to PM?  LOL, ok.

Former first round pick 4 years ago, played along side Giacomini, talent is there, needs maturity, has been a starter...  Still upside if he puts it together, value signing.  Former Alabama player.

It's good news that they made a "value signing" along the OL when they have serious weaknesses there and plenty to spend? Why?

The same approach that had us prepared to roll out Dimitri Patterson, Dexter McDougle, Darrin Walls, Kyle Wilson, etc. at corner all year? No. We have 0 corners. How about getting 1 to start off? At the rate CBs are going, which great "value" signing do you think we're going to make a week from now?

Can we wait to see what happens with Revis?

Still solid to good CB's available...

Cro would be a very good signing and far better than any player available the Jets tried to sign last year except for maybe V Davis.

House

Culliver

Williams

Skrine

Cox

There are still good players available, Maxwell and Jackson were severely overpaid for different reasons.

Cro would be a very good signing and far better than any player available the Jets tried to sign last year except for maybe V Davis.

House

Culliver

Williams

Skrine

Cox

There are still good players available, Maxwell and Jackson were severely overpaid for different reasons.

No more Williams.

It's good news that they made a "value signing" along the OL when they have serious weaknesses there and plenty to spend? Why?

Well they did go after Iupati.  Carpenter isn't a scrub, he's 26, drafted 25th overall, but some would argue he hasn't lived up to that status, I trust a talent evaluator like Mac, and we should give the benefit of the doubt to this new regime at least for the first year or two, no?

House

Culliver

Williams

Skrine

Cox

I'd go after Culliver.

Carpenter started 13 games in 2014 and was ranked 47th out of 78 guards on PFF with an

Remember he played in the toughest division in football. 49ers 2x... Rams 2x...cards2x

Archived