How can we pass up Mariota if available????

jetsfan719

Hey guys I am new here. I apologize if this is already a topic.

all reports I have read here today suggests Hoyer or Fitzpatrick under center for next season. How in the world could this team really go into the season with either geno/fitz or geno/hoyer under center this year?!?! I understand the logic if by some chance of god mariota is available at 6, we can gain a vast amount of picks from eagles or browns possibly. My question is how in the world, no matter how many picks can you pass up mariota (EVEN THOUGH UNPROVEN AND QUESTIONABLE) and go into your season next year with geno, fitz or hoyer?? I just dont understand the logic behind it. U take QBs till you hit on one. ESPECIALLY with what we have. Again i apologize if this was already posted. I just been reading these updates and it just perplexes me that any new coach and gm would want to start their first season with one of those 3 throwing to marshall and decker.

Lol im sorry then. Like said im new here. Just posted in light of the updates

No worries and welcome!  I'm pretty new too.  Just make sure to take a look around or search to see if their are topics already created you can contribute your thoughts to.  The moderation is pretty good around here for consolidating threads and keeping discussions in a central place.  I like it :)

all reports I have read here today suggests Hoyer or Fitzpatrick under center for next season. How in the world could this team really go into the season with either geno/fitz or geno/hoyer under center this year?!?! I understand the logic if by some chance of god mariota is available at 6, we can gain a vast amount of picks from eagles or browns possibly. My question is how in the world, no matter how many picks can you pass up mariota (EVEN THOUGH UNPROVEN AND QUESTIONABLE) and go into your season next year with geno, fitz or hoyer?? I just dont understand the logic behind it. U take QBs till you hit on one. ESPECIALLY with what we have. Again i apologize if this was already posted. I just been reading these updates and it just perplexes me that any new coach and gm would want to start their first season with one of those 3 throwing to marshall and decker.

Shhhhhh....the Eagles might hear u

Welcome to the board. I've only been here a few months myself.

If Mariota is drafted #6 overall by the NYJ he will be expected to start... if not day one, at some point t his rookie year. This is a high profile player who would be joining a team with decades of QB woes who have just had 2 consecutive busts in Sanchez and Smith. He's also a guy with zero experience in a pro style offense where he's asked to make reads. He also crazy mobile.

What all this means is he will be thrown out on the field way too soon to try and be the messiah for a team in the leagues biggest media market, and he going to end up running around like a chick with its head cut off and sinking his career quick than Johhny Manziel.

He's a bad fit in every way.

Interesting question. If Mariotta is on the board at 6 - what do we feel would be a better move:

1) Trade the pick and reap the rewards 

2) Pick him and then trade him

3) Pick him and keep him.

For me the one benefit yet risky aspect of 2 is it gives the Jets much more time to work out a trade , rather than working within the 30 minute constraint on draft day. 

Interesting question. If Mariotta is on the board at 6 - what do we feel would be a better move:

1) Trade the pick and reap the rewards 

2) Pick him and then trade him

3) Pick him and keep him.

For me the one benefit yet risky aspect of 2 is it gives the Jets much more time to work out a trade , rather than working within the 30 minute constraint on draft day.

How are one and two different? I'd chose either one of those

We can't. If Mariota is there at #6, the Jets must either take him OR trade down for a nice package.

The only choice that would drive me nuts, and demonstrate more Jets draft futility, is to straight up pass and take another player.

How are one and two different? I'd chose either one of those

With 1 we trade the pick outright to another team at the draft .

In option 2 we actually draft Mariota , gives us time to evaluate if we want to keep him or then flip the pick in a trade  like the Eli/Rivers scenario.

With 1 we trade the pick outright to another team at the draft .

In option 2 we actually draft Mariota , gives us time to evaluate if we want to keep him or then flip the pick in a trade  like the Eli/Rivers scenario.

If we haven't yet finished evaluating whether we want him by draft day, then we have no business drafting him in the first place.

If we haven't yet finished evaluating whether we want him by draft day, then we have no business drafting him in the first place.

But if we sign him, we can actually go through spring practices and OTA 's and then make a deal  we're limited to trading him in the 30 minutes we're on the clock at the draft.

But if we sign him, we can actually go through spring practices and OTA 's and then make a deal we're limited to trading him in the 30 minutes we're on the clock at the draft.

No way he is selected and traded at a laster date. This kid is a rock star and ther is to much media surrounding him. I cannot imagine there is no conversation with teams prior to the clock beginning for us at 6. We will have an idea beforehand.

But if we sign him, we can actually go through spring practices and OTA 's and then make a deal  we're limited to trading him in the 30 minutes we're on the clock at the draft.

When was the last time you heard of that happening? When was any time you heard of that happening? Who drafts a QB #6 in the country and then trades him 1-3 months later?

At #6 you draft the guy you want, not the guy you want to trade.

What??? You know what they say about driving a brand new car off the lot?

In your scenario we'd be lucky to get a mid round pick for a guy we just drafted top 10 and then put on the block.

This won't even work in madden. (I know becuase I've tried LOL)

I feel everyone has mix opinions on this issue. Idk honestly. I get what people are saying, how he will have to come in to ny and be "the messiah" and the answer to all our qb problems. And obviously thats a problem. I would feel more comfortable drafting him letting him sit a year behind fitzpatrick or whoever and then next year see what he got. I jus feel how can u pass an opportunity, that is in a postion of dire need for years. When was the last time we had a real nfl qb? Sanchez was a bust, a failed project. So we dust ourselves off and try again. Geno was thrown to the wolves, although i do not believe he is an nfl qb. I think we need to continue this strategy until we find "our guy".

I am most def not saying mariota is the answer to our prayers, what im saying is how can u not try? On the flipside a very nice package of picks and foles sounds interestin from the eagles. But im not the biggest foles fan. I rather we find our own gem. And the only way we will do that is eventually hitting on a qb in the draft..

Then again this thread probably wont matter in the event that eagles or someone will jump ahead of us in draft or mariota be gone way before 6. Jets luck. We may just come out of this with no qb or package of picks lol. Time will tell. I just hope we dont pass on mariota because of uncertainty and he goes on and becomes a nfl star. Kid got a positive attitude, and talent. Could be a face of a franchise. We shall see what happens

Archived