Bring Back Fireman Ed

Make me idSICK

Don't chase our posters away with your personal attacks.

Your act is getting reallly old, really fast.

And if their positions on the issue at hand were reversed, the ape would be the one getting the scolding. Do you think that selectively playing the personal attack card on only one of the participants in mutual combat as a means of viewpoint discrimination is ultimately going to help or hinder the end of fostering civility?

• Replies 682
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And if their positions on the issue at hand were reversed, the ape would be the one getting the scolding. Do you think that selectively playing the personal attack card on only one of the participants in mutual combat as a means of viewpoint discrimination is ultimately going to help or hinder the end of fostering civility?

This isn't a democracy. Max is supreme ruler here :) I should add that Max not only invented, but regularly promoted the Jet Nation poster rehabilitation program®©™

Here is a news flash, running a site like this isn't easy. We don't get everything right. We don't claim to. 

My comments to Sar have nothing to do with his views on Ed. I have a pretty long track record of encouraging conversation, even when people don't agree with me. I have over 60,000 posts here in 10 years, and I can't recall anyone saying I was ever unfair to them because they disagreed with me.

What I feel comfortable with is that we are a tolerant site. That is what we set out to be. Sometimes we are slow on the trigger, and we take heat for that. But I believe in second chances.  Which is exactly why I never once questioned you when you came back here under a new name after you were banned.

Here is a news flash, running a site like this isn't easy. We don't get everything right. We don't claim to. 

My comments to Sar have nothing to do with his views on Ed. I have a pretty long track record of encouraging conversation, even when people don't agree with me. I have over 60,000 posts here in 10 years, and I can't recall anyone saying I was ever unfair to them because they disagreed with me.

What I feel comfortable with is that we are a tolerant site. That is what we set out to be. Sometimes we are slow on the trigger, and we take heat for that. But I believe in second chances.  Which is exactly why I never once questioned you when you came back here under a new name after you were banned.

LOL OH SNAP!! OH  Max!! you sexy webmaster!

This isn't a democracy. Max is supreme ruler here :)

I understand that. But this place self-polices pretty good. Legit SAR being SAR stuff gets handled and laughed at, and as it is ape going rogue was sufficient to devolve the rant, whatever one may think of its contents, into a cripple fight. Which means Max comes off like he's taking sides in a cripple fight based on his motivated support for Fireman Ed brand product. And ape gets laughed at because mommy chased off O'Banion with a shotgun.

I wouldn't have to keep changing accounts if the second hit wasn't always the one to get flagged.

I wouldn't have to keep changing accounts if the second hit wasn't always the one to get flagged.

Hey aten this place self polices pretty well, there is no need for you to jump in and get that second flag.  The community takes care of that stuff by itself.

Just got back from dinner with Ed… No firm decision from him yet but I am extremely optimistic that on opening day, we will be welcoming the 2015 Jets out of the tunnel with our old friend leading the chant.

And I will also say this... people can believe whatever they want about him - they can think whatever they want about him - and they can say whatever they want about him. That was one of the most fun dinners I have ever had. That guy is as genuine a die-hard Jets fan as they come. He reads this board and we talked about what a great forum this is. I would go to battle with that guy any time, anywhere. 

The Daily News vote is now at 80/20 pro-Ed. The Jets fans have spoken and Ed is listening. I was proud of the Idzik campaign and how far we were able to take it but I am 500000% more proud of this one because that man was built up by the media - and was taken down by the media. And I am proud to be a part of restoring a tradition that had no business ever going away in the first place. 

#BringBackEd

Screen%20Shot%202015-03-16%20at%2011.57.

Did you guys decide to wear the same outfit and you shaved your head to match Ed's or is that all a big coincidence? lol

A big part of the reason why things are not the stadium is the new stadium.  Too many people were priced out and bitter afterward.  When the Jets started making phone calls for the new stadium they were arrogant and then started playing games.  I remember in 2008 getting a phone call from a rep telling me I would most likely have to buy a PSL since I had 1991 seniority and "I'd better save up".  If you go back into the old PSL brochure on page 19 they used me as an example.  1991 seniority and wanted similar seats in the upper level.  I told the rep I would not be taking a PSL and he said you will have to and I said I will drop.  I ended up in the upper level in lousy seats.  Then came the parking pass game after they took all of our $500 deposits for upper level seats, also causing tailgates to be broken up.  The Jets also spoke so badly about the upper deck views that a lot of people said after year 1 they were done. 

Then they were holding back certain seats.  Plenty of people got upgraded seats after year 1 that were held back. 

These days the Jets do anything they can to get phone numbers of Jets fans.  That fan chant contest you had to give your name, phone # etc to vote for someone.  The non season ticketholder training camp you needed to give your name and phone number for a pass. 

These days also so many fans sell on Stubhub or the Jets have seats liquidated to so many brokers it is a mess.  Just look at the print out tickets and see some of the ticket brokers names they have sold seats to for discounted prices. 

While I was at first against Fireman Ed coming back I have opened up to it more.  However, it is not just him that is needed to make this place better again. 

The fans need to take the place over again.  Two things that the Jets could do to help:

1.  Take every unsold seat throughtout the stadium.  Let season ticket holders know what seats near them are unsold and also offer them an incentive if they get a friend to buy those seats.  I sit in section 347 and I already convinced one of my friends who left after 2009 to come back and sit up there in my section and I have another friend most likley moving up there.  I am still working on one more.  If the Jets let us know what is available that would help. 

2.  Send an apology letter to every fan from pre-2009 for how the new stadium was handled.  Not for the prices but for the arrogance shown by the Jets.  Have an open house for fans to come back for a day and maybe see some seats they may like. 

Whatever Ed does is his own business.  However, if he does come back I hope he tries to send some type of message out encouraging fans to come back again.

The stadium would be so much more fun with Ed back leading the chant.

I always liked how the players would point to him before the kickoff.

I'm not going to pretend I'm a regular at the games, I am not. 

However, this is the sentiment that matters to me. Ed is just a guy, and my outlook on it was he was just a guy that found himself in the right place at the right time to become a catalyst for carrying an identifying part of the game day experience to new generations of fans, while keeping it somewhat consistent for old generations of fans. When it was organic, unforced and unmanaged by the Jets, and simply a phenomenon from the crowd it was as good as it gets. Lots of fans come and go and try to get the chant going, but EVERY fan that finds their way to the stadium should share in that overwhelming experience when some guy jumps up on his brothers shoulders and somehow orchestrates it so that they all do it in unison. It's a goosebump moment.

I've lived up here in Boston for almost a decade now. I've been to a fair amount of Red Sox games. Back when we first got here they used to play Sweet Caroline, and it was more organic where the crowd just chimed in. Then the organization got involved and made it formulaic. They tried to package it up as part of the product and force it to happen for every tourist that overpaid for tix while in town. This is the best example I can come up with for why the chant and Ed should just be left alone. If the Jets want to help him get to games or whatever, that's great, but leave it at that. Don't dictate when he should be doing it. Don't make the chant part of the product. Let it happen. If we are getting blown out 45-3, then let Ed or whoever else be REAL in the situation and not do it. Don't make it a requirement in scenarios where the team doesn't deserve it.

Anyway. It's exciting just to see people caring about cheering again. 

You're off-base, primarily because I wasn't arguing with SAR about Ed coming back. I clearly stated that I didn't care, my discourse with SAR was to call BS on his schtick. That's all. 

Max, for as long as I've posted here, has always been consistent in scolding people who tell his posters to leave the site. I don't think he cared so much about SAR and I name calling a little. Either way, GFY. 

I understand that. But this place self-polices pretty good. Legit SAR being SAR stuff gets handled and laughed at, and as it is ape going rogue was sufficient to devolve the rant, whatever one may think of its contents, into a cripple fight. Which means Max comes off like he's taking sides in a cripple fight based on his motivated support for Fireman Ed brand product. And ape gets laughed at because mommy chased off O'Banion with a shotgun.

Max doesn't usually side with me. I can assure you of that. 

I like that my caveman ways bring out your pettiness though. The cripple thing is cute. I'll worry about your criticism when you exhibit a higher level of awareness of what you just witnessed. 

A big part of the reason why things are not the stadium is the new stadium.  Too many people were priced out and bitter afterward.  When the Jets started making phone calls for the new stadium they were arrogant and then started playing games.  I remember in 2008 getting a phone call from a rep telling me I would most likely have to buy a PSL since I had 1991 seniority and "I'd better save up".  If you go back into the old PSL brochure on page 19 they used me as an example.  1991 seniority and wanted similar seats in the upper level.  I told the rep I would not be taking a PSL and he said you will have to and I said I will drop.  I ended up in the upper level in lousy seats.  Then came the parking pass game after they took all of our $500 deposits for upper level seats, also causing tailgates to be broken up.  The Jets also spoke so badly about the upper deck views that a lot of people said after year 1 they were done. 

Then they were holding back certain seats.  Plenty of people got upgraded seats after year 1 that were held back. 

These days the Jets do anything they can to get phone numbers of Jets fans.  That fan chant contest you had to give your name, phone # etc to vote for someone.  The non season ticketholder training camp you needed to give your name and phone number for a pass. 

These days also so many fans sell on Stubhub or the Jets have seats liquidated to so many brokers it is a mess.  Just look at the print out tickets and see some of the ticket brokers names they have sold seats to for discounted prices. 

While I was at first against Fireman Ed coming back I have opened up to it more.  However, it is not just him that is needed to make this place better again. 

The fans need to take the place over again.  Two things that the Jets could do to help:

1.  Take every unsold seat throughtout the stadium.  Let season ticket holders know what seats near them are unsold and also offer them an incentive if they get a friend to buy those seats.  I sit in section 347 and I already convinced one of my friends who left after 2009 to come back and sit up there in my section and I have another friend most likley moving up there.  I am still working on one more.  If the Jets let us know what is available that would help. 

2.  Send an apology letter to every fan from pre-2009 for how the new stadium was handled.  Not for the prices but for the arrogance shown by the Jets.  Have an open house for fans to come back for a day and maybe see some seats they may like. 

Whatever Ed does is his own business.  However, if he does come back I hope he tries to send some type of message out encouraging fans to come back again.

I know you talked to Joe, 124, Panda, but we're moving up there to 347, Row 7 seats 5 and 6

Listening to Ed now.  Ed if you're reading this please come back.  I understand you do not want to do this forever but come back for a couple years let us win a Super Bowl and then help find one or a few fans to keep the chant going until it is perfected and the traidition.  Oh and I'm sorry for speaking against you at first.

However, this is the sentiment that matters to me. Ed is just a guy, and my outlook on it was he was just a guy that found himself in the right place at the right time to become a catalyst for carrying an identifying part of the game day experience to new generations of fans, while keeping it somewhat consistent for old generations of fans. When it was organic, unforced and unmanaged by the Jets, and simply a phenomenon from the crowd it was as good as it gets. Lots of fans come and go and try to get the chant going, but EVERY fan that finds their way to the stadium should share in that overwhelming experience when some guy jumps up on his brothers shoulders and somehow orchestrates it so that they all do it in unison. It's a goosebump moment.

I've lived up here in Boston for almost a decade now. I've been to a fair amount of Red Sox games. Back when we first got here they used to play Sweet Caroline, and it was more organic where the crowd just chimed in. Then the organization got involved and made it formulaic. They tried to package it up as part of the product and force it to happen for every tourist that overpaid for tix while in town. This is the best example I can come up with for why the chant and Ed should just be left alone. If the Jets want to help him get to games or whatever, that's great, but leave it at that. Don't dictate when he should be doing it. Don't make the chant part of the product. Let it happen. If we are getting blown out 45-3, then let Ed or whoever else be REAL in the situation and not do it. Don't make it a requirement in scenarios where the team doesn't deserve it.

I don't think I am allowed to respond to you anymore. lol....

If we could go back in time and have the two guys in the upper deck leading it, that would be great. Not sure exactly how or why that stopped. But over time Ed somehow took over the chant. When the Jets tell the chant leader when to chant it is after the team scores.  How about when everyone is feeling down. How about when the team needs a pick me up.  How about when we all just need to scream.  

That is when I want to do the chant. Not when the Jets Marketing department thinks it is a good idea.

I don't think I am allowed to respond to you anymore. lol....

If we could go back in time and have the two guys in the upper deck leading it, that would be great. Not sure exactly how or why that stopped. But over time Ed somehow took over the chant. When the Jets tell the chant leader when to chant it is after the team scores.  How about when everyone is feeling down. How about when the team needs a pick me up.  How about when we all just need to scream.  

That is when I want to do the chant. Not when the Jets Marketing department thinks it is a good idea.

Is the guy who wore the Klecko jersey and had the whistle in the upper deck endzone still around? Still alive? Jeeze that was a long time ago...

Have to disagree. Ed may be "just a guy," but he's a guy who has the hutzpah and talent to lead the chant in front of 80000 from the NY area. We saw what happened with "just guys" leading the cheer. Meh at best. Ed was 1 in a thousand or maybe 1 in 10000 in doing it the way he did. 

If Ed wants to return, that's great, he should do so.  Any fan that wants to honor the Jets by participating loudly is a good thing.

But that said, the reason I think most fans want Ed back actually has nothing to do with Ed, it has to do with a lack of Jets fans.  Noise levels, emotions, supporting the defense, all those things have very little to do with a J-E-T-S chant after a touchdown.  Sure, we had a rough 4 years just now, but the truth is the culture of the stadium that so many like changed when we moved into MetLife and we would be better served starting a petition to get the Jets fans from Giants Stadium who opted-out of the new stadium to reconsider, do what's right for the team, and get back involved again.

You talk of "indifference" and use me as an example.  I'll have you know I cheer just as loud here as I did in Giants Stadium, I have an extra seat, I've added another voice to the mix as a result.  The issue is that Jets fans are being replaced by empty seats and enemy fans.  Why can a Steeler fan pay $150 for a ticket and not a Jets fan who lives a few miles away?  Why when prices fall well below face to Jets fans stay home instead of buying a $60 seat in the lower bowl?  That's the issue, that's what we should be discussing.

And before we go down the PSL road, the Jets have lowered prices for seats throughout the stadium, you can sit anywhere you want at reasonable prices off of StubHub without an annual commitment, and its looks like we're turning a corner and will be fun to watch this year.  Ed wants to return, fine, that's cool.  But where are the 20,000 or so Jets fans who left the season ticket family when we need them?  The noise levels in MetLIfe vs. Giants Stadium have nothing to do with architecture or the fans who remain; it has everything to do with the fans who left.  It's their voices that are missing.  Getting Ed back is only half the equation.

SAR I

Are you talking about the guys you have called old foggies taking up good seats who you were delighted were kicked out of those seats when PSL's came along?

Is the guy who wore the Klecko jersey and had the whistle in the upper deck endzone still around? Still alive? Jeeze that was a long time ago...

They had him at one of the games last year (I think) to introduce the new chant leaders.

Have to disagree. Ed may be "just a guy," but he's a guy who has the hutzpah and talent to lead the chant in front of 80000 from the NY area. We saw what happened with "just guys" leading the cheer. Meh at best. Ed was 1 in a thousand or maybe 1 in 10000 in doing it the way he did. 

I didn't mean "just a guy" in the sense that he's a schlub just doing a meh job... just meant it from the standpoint that he's not a marketing intern. He's salt of the Earth, but more importantly he's from amongst us. That's all I meant.

I didn't mean "just a guy" in the sense that he's a schlub just doing a meh job... just meant it from the standpoint that he's not a marketing intern. He's salt of the Earth, but more importantly he's from amongst us. That's all I meant.

OK bud. We're good.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Damn .. Fireman Ed clearly revved up <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Jets?src=hash">#Jets</a> nation! <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/RestoreTheTradition?src=hash">#RestoreTheTradition</a></p>&mdash; Tyson Rauch (@TRauch21) <a href="https://twitter.com/TRauch21/status/578021227098456065">March 18, 2015</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Are you talking about the guys you have called old foggies taking up good seats who you were delighted were kicked out of those seats when PSL's came along?

PSL's were a blessing for thousands of Jets fans who were on the waitlist and couldn't get at the great seats because of those who were hogging them.

From 1981 to 2001 I paid my dues in crappy seats, had to scour the aftermarket or see a scalper just to get to a game.  That's 20 years I couldn't have great seats in a consistent location but I made it work because of my love of the team.  Those who had great lower level seats in Giants Stadium and were priced out now have the opportunity to do the same.  I didn't complain when I was frozen out for 20 years, they shouldn't either.

Having Ed come back solves nothing.  If you want a more raucous stadium environment, you need more Jets fans to occupy seats that are unsold or are on the aftermarket.  Dolphin and Steeler fans don't respond to Ed.  Younger Jets fans don't respond to Ed.  Getting older Jets fans to buy Jets tickets and block out enemy fans is what is required.  This is bring back the Fireman thing just a quaint gesture.  Let's get at the real problem if we want a real solution.

SAR I

Archived