Bring Back Fireman Ed

Make me idSICK

You aren't clever enough or funny enough to overpost this much.  Find a forum for one of your other hobbies.  Spread the wealth.

SAR I

Don't chase our posters away with your personal attacks.

Your act is getting reallly old, really fast.  

• Replies 682
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just got back from dinner with Ed… No firm decision from him yet but I am extremely optimistic that on opening day, we will be welcoming the 2015 Jets out of the tunnel with our old friend leading the chant.

And I will also say this... people can believe whatever they want about him - they can think whatever they want about him - and they can say whatever they want about him. That was one of the most fun dinners I have ever had. That guy is as genuine a die-hard Jets fan as they come. He reads this board and we talked about what a great forum this is. I would go to battle with that guy any time, anywhere. 

The Daily News vote is now at 80/20 pro-Ed. The Jets fans have spoken and Ed is listening. I was proud of the Idzik campaign and how far we were able to take it but I am 500000% more proud of this one because that man was built up by the media - and was taken down by the media. And I am proud to be a part of restoring a tradition that had no business ever going away in the first place. 

#BringBackEd

Screen%20Shot%202015-03-16%20at%2011.57.

Just got back from dinner with Ed… No firm decision from him yet but I am extremely optimistic that on opening day, we will be welcoming the 2015 Jets out of the tunnel with our old friend leading the chant.

And I will also say this... people can believe whatever they want about him - they can think whatever they want about him - and they can say whatever they want about him. That was one of the most fun dinners I have ever had. That guy is as genuine a die-hard Jets fan as they come. He reads this board and we talked about what a great forum this is. I would go to battle with that guy any time, anywhere. 

The Daily News vote is now at 80/20 pro-Ed. The Jets fans have spoken and Ed is listening. I was proud of the Idzik campaign and how far we were able to take it but I am 500000% more proud of this one because that man was built up by the media - and was taken down by the media. And I am proud to be a part of restoring a tradition that had no business ever going away in the first place. 

#BringBackEd

Great stuff!

Ed deserves this movement, it's time to eradicate the negativity of a frustrated fan base and restore some positive thinking, there is no greater fan base than Jets fans when we are all on the same page, when we aren't attacking each other, and yeah, when the team is playing well...  Proud to be a fan, just wish we could lose the SOJF and re-energize without the excessive cynicism.

My avatar returns...

#bringbacked

#BringBackEd

I am so glad that you are doing this.  I am so glad that you met with Ed.  You paid for dinner right, with all the money you made off of the Idzik thing?  LOL -- I am joking.  :)

I have said it 1,000 times. Ed is a great guy. I hope he comes back....

The Jets need to be out of the chant business. Last year they tried but they botched it. By trying to get each section to do a letter. Then by micromanaging the chant leaders as to when they can do it.

I would love for Ed to just do the chant next year.  I sit a few rows in back of him.  So I know he still has the passion. He is pretty much jumping out of his seat!

Come back Ed.  If Revis can do it, so can you! 

#BringBackEd

Great to hear this, I hope he does make the final decision to wear the hat and lead the chant. I am getting the feeling this is gonna be a special year, I can't wait to be in that lot at the home opener! Already working on the game day tailgate menu to drop on the day of final schedule announcement. If Ed is reading this, he is welcome to come by the tailgatejoe game day fan club tailgate party, everyone will be cool with him and I am sure my nephews and the kids would dig it.

I think you guys (Fire Idzik) are misguided in your shots at Neil Glat. The Aviators and who is replacing Ed are the least of our worries. I like Jets Rewards, got a few autographed photos for free just for showing up.  Anyhow, I didn't agree that he was named on the towel.  The Jets have a football operations issue, which hopefully they have fixed.

The stuff that Neil works on, I am just losing any sleep over it either way.

There has been talk this week about getting Fireman Ed to come back and lead the J-E-T-S chant again. After an exciting start to free agency, that thought had me pretty pumped up. It seems like we will finally have stuff to cheer about next season. But the chant at the stadium just hasn’t been the same without Ed.

The chant belongs to the fans, Ed has stated he hoped it would go to a younger guy. But last year the Jets had someone different leading the chant each week. It was controlled and it just wasn’t the same. Doing the chant only when the Jets want you to do the chant simply doesn’t come off as authentic. Trying to squeeze the chant in between the flight crew and other team activities isn’t what Jets fans want.

Simply put there are times when we all want to scream J E T S as loud as we can.

The video below was recorded at a WFAN party for Jets fans in October 2014. To the best of our knowledge this is the last time Ed led the chant in front of a large crowd. Watch the video below and as Ed leads the chant, we leave you with his words.

If you think I don’t miss it, you are sadly mistaken.

Never say never.

Don’t tell me i’m done, i’ll tell you when i’m done.

We are hoping that Fireman Ed returns and leads the chant next year. If you would like to show your support for Fireman Ed, here is the online petition.

I think you guys (Fire Idzik) are misguided in your shots at Neil Glat. The Aviators and who is replacing Ed are the least of our worries. I like Jets Rewards, got a few autographed photos for free just for showing up.  Anyhow, I didn't agree that he was named on the towel.  The Jets have a football operations issue, which hopefully they have fixed.

Totally fair opinion, Max.. i personally HATE the Jets rewards program and my family has never once checked in with our 5 season tickets.. I honestly don't care about anything inside of the stadium - I am a less is more type of guy.. I can't stand the aviators… i can't stand the excessive forced entertainment. All I want is to tailgate with friends & family, then go inside and watch a quality product on the field and cheer the team on. When you stick a crappy product out there and take away the cheering - all you are left with is buyers remorse. When you combine all of that with the "game day experience" video graphics, constant music and awkward drum-line, it makes it even less tolerable to me.

I have spoken to people during these campaigns who know Glat and speak very highly of him so maybe it isn't fair that we come down on him so hard… his style of entertainment just isn't for me. 

Totally fair opinion, Max.. i personally HATE the Jets rewards program and my family has never once checked in with our 5 season tickets.. I honestly don't care about anything inside of the stadium - I am a less is more type of guy.. I can't stand the aviators… i can't stand the excessive forced entertainment. All I want is to tailgate with friends & family, then go inside and watch a quality product on the field and cheer the team on. When you stick a crappy product out there and take away the cheering - all you are left with is buyers remorse. When you combine all of that with the "game day experience" video graphics, constant music and awkward drum-line, it makes it even less tolerable to me.

I have spoken to people during these campaigns who know Glat and speak very highly of him so maybe it isn't fair that we come down on him so hard… his style of entertainment just isn't for me. 

When it comes to the Aviators....I think they are cool when you walk in and out of the stadium. I think they learned to not make them a focal point.

I like the swipe in \ points thing personally.  But like you mention you don't use them, so they aren't for everybody. I got a few autographed 8 x 10's signed this year through the program. I am not fanatical about it, but I think it was a good idea.  I just think Neil's heart is in the right place, I don't know him personally but he seems to be trying to make things better. I 100% agree about taking the chant back. If Ed won't come back, the Jets still shouldn't be running it. They control it...telling the "chant leaders" when to do it. That isn't acceptable.

But...more importantly...how was the dinner with Ed? What's the deal? What did he say? What's the next step?  We definitely want him back.

Here is Ed's last known chant. At the WFAN Percy Party last October.

I would love to tell you every story that he told me… from the old Shea Stadium Days - to the origin of the J-E-T-S cheer (which was was actually stolen from a the Baltimore Colts)… the stories of his trip to the Jets/Pats playoff game a few years ago… I told him all about visiting my brother at University of Arizona when I was 16 and getting drunk on a bus to Phoenix to watch the Jets only win of the 1-15 Kotite season… We were just going back and forth with old Jets stories - eating steaks and drinking beers..

Then we talked about the campaign to bring him back and he told me that he has been reading all the social media posts and specifically mentioned this forum… we talked about what a terrible place theganggreen.com is… and then we talked about the future and how he feels about coming back. He has not made a decision yet but he does not like the way he went out and does not want it to end like that. I have a REALLY good feeling that he will be back leading the cheer come opening day… that is not a fact in any way and I am not going to speak for him… This campaign, all the messages on the petition and even things like Peter Schwartz reaching out to try and clear the air - Joe Benigno even taking the high road on it today - have shown him how much he is missed. There are plenty of people out there who would just as soon see him gone. But as the Daily News poll shows, there are 4 supporters for every 1 in that vocal minority.

My money is on this returning in 2015

I am in agreement on this. I 100% support and am on board with the efforts to get Ed to return, but I don't know why Glat is included in this and like Max I feel it is a little misguided. First of all, Ed left and can return without anything to do with the Jets organization, so Glat or Woody for that matter are not impeding Ed from returning to lead the fans in the stadium. Second, the issue of trying to get the guy fired in itself, I don't really jibe with. Being upset with and wanting a change in GM and coach I can understand, I may not have been publicly calling for their removal with a media campaign, but I understand the motives and I myself wanted the change as well. Those guys are directly responsible for the product on the field that we are fanatics for, obsess over, and spend countless dollars on throughout our lives, and if their vision or implementation is not what we feel is working then yeah, we want them gone. But the people not directly involved in the product on the field, I don't know that there is reason strong enough to publicly shame the guy. Yeah the rewards program has some real issues, but it is the first year of implementation so I am ok with them figuring it out. As for the Aviators, I think they add to the gameday experience, especially out in the lot and during the player walk into the stadium. I see the kids get a kick out of them, and I don't think they distract or take away from the action on the field. I just don't see the need to drag the guy through the mud when he isn't a front office guy or someone in the public eye, you wouldn't take out a billboard to single out some guy in an office for a perceived lack of job performance. This guy probably has a family and kids and probably at some point will have to be looking for a job elsewhere, does the google search for him have to pop up the fireidzik campaign? And you know if he has kids there is some kid in his class with a parent who will think it is funny to have their own kid waving that towel in the schoolyard. All for what, we don't like the off field entertainment the guy is creating to try and better the experience at the stadium?

Not trying to piss in the fireidzik guy's cheerios, and like I said I am 100% behind the effort to get Ed back, this is just my opinion on the other part of it, the holdover from the last mission.

And that dinner sounds like it was awesome, I am envious of you. I'll tell ya what, it would be a great idea for a charity, I am sure more than a few guys would pay $100 bucks to a good cause to sit down and bullsh*t with Ed about his tales as a Jets fan and traveling to games over the years over a burger and some beers.

Love it, Jets fans are a unique brand, it's time the fan base galvanizes and restores the positive energy of a fanbase hungry for a successful product on the field, to take it back from corporate, and it starts with Ed. The fans that hate need to get over themselves, nobody is better than the other, but their is no stadium experience better in the country when 80,000+ are rocking the stadium with Ed leading the chant!!!

no offense taken at allto that opinion, Joe.. We have a difference of opinion about that aspect of our Idzik campaign - however, we are not lobbying to have Glat (or anybody else) fired anymore... Saying that we are unhappy with a particular aspect of his job isn't out of line. If I went to a restaurant and got an awful meal and posted a negative review when I got home - that chef also has a family and kids.. We are giving our feedback based on our personal experiences. Glat was never on our billboard - he was only on the penalty flags as a symbol. Idzik because we were unhappy with the product on the field. Bradway because we were unhappy with the drafting & scouting. Glat because we were unhappy with the gameday experience. But I do appreciate your feedback and the fact we can have a productive & calm conversation about it.

I love that idea about dinner with Ed and I will talk to him about it for sure. Would be a great night for everybody and for a great cause.

#BringBackEd

Wow - great pic and I'm also hoping for a good outcome. But regardless it is very impressive how quickly you were able to make traction on this. Congrats and thanks!

Said this before but the coolest part about this campaign is how many different fan groups, organized tailgates, blogs, podcasts & fan forums have gotten behind the message. The people who spew their hatred of Ed have stopped (for the most part) but the signatures on the petition just keep pouring in.

Great job with the article. It is hard to watch that video and not take from it how badly Ed wants to go out on his own terms - not because of some clowns in a bathroom.

The thing is, someone has to explain to Ed that nothing in human interactions is 100%. That fact that he runs into a few dickheads in a restroom doesn't mean they are representative of fans in general. With an 80% pro-Ed vote underway, he should be very pleased. Where are there ever results that solid in a free and fair election?

J-E-T-S...Jets! Jets! Jets!

Go Jets! Go Fireman Ed!

no offense taken at allto that opinion, Joe.. We have a difference of opinion about that aspect of our Idzik campaign - however, we are not lobbying to have Glat (or anybody else) fired anymore... Saying that we are unhappy with a particular aspect of his job isn't out of line. If I went to a restaurant and got an awful meal and posted a negative review when I got home - that chef also has a family and kids.. We are giving our feedback based on our personal experiences. Glat was never on our billboard - he was only on the penalty flags as a symbol. Idzik because we were unhappy with the product on the field. Bradway because we were unhappy with the drafting & scouting. Glat because we were unhappy with the gameday experience. But I do appreciate your feedback and the fact we can have a productive & calm conversation about it.

I love that idea about dinner with Ed and I will talk to him about it for sure. Would be a great night for everybody and for a great cause.

Count me in for that dinner!

Bringing Ed back has me psyched, too. Yet, sadly, I'm thinking there is, indeed, a group of fans that really are of the same mindset of our beloved SAR I.

IMO, The team needs to understand that bringing Ed back won't be just bringing Ed back. The gameday experience has palpable differences now.Yes, the SARs are all among us. The lower bowl reeks of indifference. The positive vibes this off season will help but what if Ed DOES have enough detractors harrassing him? What then? If he comes back again, it comes with an obligation, on Eds part, to suck it up and stick it out. And he can't be leaving in a hissy fit because of the product on the field. Maybe he shouldn't be wearing the QBs jersey? Go back to Bruce Harper or give him a Klecko jersey for ****s sake. No ones gonna harass a Klecko jersey.

In addition to the bowl problem and Ed learning to be the fan we expect him to be, there's the gameday production. Sound system is way too loud and out of touch with what a NY football fan wants. Get rid of the damn drumline and get rid of the cheerleaders- there's no place in football for cheerleaders beyond college. Save that sh*t for the NBA.

This needs to be about football-intensity---like that intense face Ed has when he kicks ass on OUR chant. This is a football game. When Ed is intense, the crowd is intense, and the guy in charge of the sound system needs to recognize the ebbs and flows of a football game in order to feed the frenzy.

I'm hoping for Eds return, but other things need to happen in order for it to be a home run.

Bringing Ed back has me psyched, too. Yet, sadly, I'm thinking there is, indeed, a group of fans that really are of the same mindset of our beloved SAR I.

IMO, The team needs to understand that bringing Ed back won't be just bringing Ed back. The gameday experience has palpable differences now.Yes, the SARs are all among us. The lower bowl reeks of indifference. The positive vibes this off season will help but what if Ed DOES have enough detractors harrassing him? What then? If he comes back again, it comes with an obligation, on Eds part, to suck it up and stick it out. And he can't be leaving in a hissy fit because of the product on the field. Maybe he shouldn't be wearing the QBs jersey? Go back to Bruce Harper or give him a Klecko jersey for ****s sake. No ones gonna harass a Klecko jersey.

In addition to the bowl problem and Ed learning to be the fan we expect him to be, there's the gameday production. Sound system is way too loud and out of touch with what a NY football fan wants. Get rid of the damn drumline and get rid of the cheerleaders- there's no place in football for cheerleaders beyond college. Save that sh*t for the NBA.

This needs to be about football-intensity---like that intense face Ed has when he kicks ass on OUR chant. This is a football game. When Ed is intense, the crowd is intense, and the guy in charge of the sound system needs to recognize the ebbs and flows of a football game in order to feed the frenzy.

I'm hoping for Eds return, but other things need to happen in order for it to be a home run.

Jealousy can be such an ugly thing...really hoping Ed comes back.

we actually talked about that last night.. IF he comes back, it will be in the old school original kelly green Harper jersey..

We also talked about how he bought that jersey.. was made at Cosby's at MSG - him and his friends took the subway to the city specifically to get jerseys made with their favorite players - his friends got some obscure players I have never heard of.. but that was way before he was "Fireman Ed".. i was telling him how I remember in the 80's going to MSG with my grandfather and how he bought me a custom Knicks jersey that we ordered before the game and picked up on the way out.. that was the only place you could get a customized jersey back then.. so much different than the way things are today. 

IMO, The team needs to understand that bringing Ed back won't be just bringing Ed back. The gameday experience has palpable differences now.Yes, the SARs are all among us. The lower bowl reeks of indifference.

If Ed wants to return, that's great, he should do so.  Any fan that wants to honor the Jets by participating loudly is a good thing.

But that said, the reason I think most fans want Ed back actually has nothing to do with Ed, it has to do with a lack of Jets fans.  Noise levels, emotions, supporting the defense, all those things have very little to do with a J-E-T-S chant after a touchdown.  Sure, we had a rough 4 years just now, but the truth is the culture of the stadium that so many like changed when we moved into MetLife and we would be better served starting a petition to get the Jets fans from Giants Stadium who opted-out of the new stadium to reconsider, do what's right for the team, and get back involved again.

You talk of "indifference" and use me as an example.  I'll have you know I cheer just as loud here as I did in Giants Stadium, I have an extra seat, I've added another voice to the mix as a result.  The issue is that Jets fans are being replaced by empty seats and enemy fans.  Why can a Steeler fan pay $150 for a ticket and not a Jets fan who lives a few miles away?  Why when prices fall well below face to Jets fans stay home instead of buying a $60 seat in the lower bowl?  That's the issue, that's what we should be discussing.

And before we go down the PSL road, the Jets have lowered prices for seats throughout the stadium, you can sit anywhere you want at reasonable prices off of StubHub without an annual commitment, and its looks like we're turning a corner and will be fun to watch this year.  Ed wants to return, fine, that's cool.  But where are the 20,000 or so Jets fans who left the season ticket family when we need them?  The noise levels in MetLIfe vs. Giants Stadium have nothing to do with architecture or the fans who remain; it has everything to do with the fans who left.  It's their voices that are missing.  Getting Ed back is only half the equation.

SAR I

Sar - I can not argue with you on that point. Hopefully now that there SHOULD be a product on the field worth watching, the fans come back and we don't see pseudo-home games for road teams in our building anymore… It made me sick to see all those Patriots, 49ers, Dolphins, etc fans in our building making more noise than us.. can't happen anymore. We need the fans to be as committed as the front office has been this offseason. 

Sar - I can not argue with you on that point. Hopefully now that there SHOULD be a product on the field worth watching, the fans come back and we don't see pseudo-home games for road teams in our building anymore… It made me sick to see all those Patriots, 49ers, Dolphins, etc fans in our building making more noise than us.. can't happen anymore. We need the fans to be as committed as the front office has been this offseason. 

Listen, I'm guilty, I can't make it to every game each season.  I've got 4 kids, travel soccer, travel baseball, ballet, you name it, just can't hit 8 home games every year.  I'm a father.  I have legitimate responsibilities.

I put my seats up for sale on Stubhub for those games, not at ridiculous prices, almost always at face value or a little below.  Great seats too, first row, Mezzanine, shady side, right by the train station, couldn't be more attractive for someone to get to from Manhattan or the boroughs.  But every time, I go back to my seats the following game and get told that my seats were bought by some enemy fan.  And you can see on TV, tons of fans of other teams have invaded our stadium.

On the other forum, we had lots of heated debate over the years, and you'd find that only 10% of the JI posters were season ticket holders, the rest didn't attend games at all.  Yet they would be the ones complaining about crowd noise, no-shows, enemy fans.  The time has come for all to rise to the occasion.  If they want Ed back to get the crowd going, fine, I want them back to get themselves going.

SAR I

Listen, I'm guilty, I can't make it to every game each season.  I've got 4 kids, travel soccer, travel baseball, ballet, you name it, just can't hit 8 home games every year.  I'm a father.  I have legitimate responsibilities.

I put my seats up for sale on Stubhub for those games, not at ridiculous prices, almost always at face value or a little below.  Great seats too, first row, Mezzanine, shady side, right by the train station, couldn't be more attractive for someone to get to from Manhattan or the boroughs.  But every time, I go back to my seats the following game and get told that my seats were bought by some enemy fan.  And you can see on TV, tons of fans of other teams have invaded our stadium.

On the other forum, we had lots of heated debate over the years, and you'd find that only 10% of the JI posters were season ticket holders, the rest didn't attend games at all.  Yet they would be the ones complaining about crowd noise, no-shows, enemy fans.  The time has come for all to rise to the occasion.  If they want Ed back to get the crowd going, fine, I want them back to get themselves going.

SAR I

I've found over the years that these forums are often a gathering spot for displaced NYers and out-of-state fans, which has to figure into that. I also think out-of-state fans bring the perspective of "if I could go and cheer I would, so I expect the same of those that have the opportunity to do so". 

I do agree with you though... it's up to our fans to help make it impossible for teams to come into our stadium and win. 

Apologies SAR..I know you're a fan..I meant the funny persona you portray in the forums-I knew toud pick that up after I read my post.

The lower bowl is filled with That persona you portray is what I was getting at.

Billboard guy ...what about the rest of what i posted about the cheesiness in the game day production? It might be a stretch to think this "bring Ed back" campaign can affect that, but it matters a great deal, IMO.

"If you build it, he will come."  No one wants to admit it, but even the most loyal fan gets sick and tired of investing time and money in an inferior product, which is what the Jets have been for a few years now.  And when THOSE fans start giving up tickets, then it becomes a free-for-all for the opposing team's fans to swoop in and grab tons of seats.  And like it or not, PSL's DO factor into the equation regarding the apathetic nature of the fans in the stadium on any given Sunday.  Many loyal fans (like myself) were priced out of their seats because of the PSL's.  I've been displaced to the upper deck where I now gladly bring my son to 3-4 games a year and sell or give away the other games to my Jets fan buddies, but my lower level seats are now likely owned by someone who doesn't share my passion for the team. Before anyone gets all crazy about that comment, let me clarify - I'm not saying that because someone can afford to lay out 50k in PSL's for two lower level seats that they are automatically less passionate fans than I am, but there ARE a lot of small business and corporations that gobbled up those premium seats and are now used as business tools.....to schmooze with clients, given to employees, etc... which has definitely produced a more apathetic crowd.

The bottom line is winning cures all.  Give ANY type of fan something to cheer about week in and week out and they will.  Hopefully that starts up again this year.

Archived