TV Series (Opinions, Recommendations, Flaming, etc) ***BEWARE POSSIBLE SPOILERS***

53 minutes ago, maury77 said:

It’s not the last, we have 1 more this season.

Sorry.  I wrote my post like an imbecile.   And I hadn't started drinking yet.

I meant to say last week's penultimate episode was incredible.  We've got one more to go for this season.  Then, I read that The Boys has been renewed for another.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Final episode of Stranger Things was something else. Felt like they should have showed that on a big screen.

When I saw the run time I instantly thought this was the series final, especially when they had the few false endings like LOTR.  Going out with a movie to clean up all the story lines. 

I was surprised when they ended with the cliff hanger (of sorts). 

It was definitely the best season of the series. 

2 hours ago, munchmemory said:

Sorry.  I wrote my post like an imbecile.   And I hadn't started drinking yet.

I meant to say last week's penultimate episode was incredible.  We've got one more to go for this season.  Then, I read that The Boys has been renewed for another.  

Penultimate…. WTF????  This is a Jets board. Dumb it down for the rest of us.  

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

When I saw the run time I instantly thought this was the series final, especially when they had the few false endings like LOTR.  Going out with a movie to clean up all the story lines. 

I was surprised when they ended with the cliff hanger (of sorts). 

It was definitely the best season of the series. 

Duffers have been saying for years they're going 5 seasons. Next one's the last.

• Upvote 1

On 7/2/2022 at 6:11 PM, maury77 said:

Interesting twist in the latest episode of. the Boys, I'm not sure where they are going with it. 

I'm not sure how that wasn't obvious to me from the intro of that character. Maybe because I was hoping for something not so unoriginal and cliché.

Anyway, where I think they're going with it is that Homelander might change his mind on the plan he had just shared with Maeve, because he's not a fan of how it went the first time?

Finished season two of Yellowstone last night.  The last few episodes were incredibly fast-paced, exciting and stunning.  Really great storytelling and action packed. 

Beth's office incident.  Monica's boutique incident.  Jamie's incident.  The Tate incident.  Just non-stop.  I also appreciated how the writers ignored convention by resolving the Beck Brothers' story in a peaceful, non-violent way.   Can't wait to see where the series goes from here.

• Sympathy 1

On 6/25/2022 at 12:41 PM, Dcat said:

Anyone watching The Old Man with Jeff Bridges and Jonathan Lithgow on FX?  Just finished episode 2 last night.  I'm not the biggest Jeff Bridges fan in the world (I think he's a terrible hammy actor), but so far, I'm liking this.  A lot.  (I had to go back and put captions on for some of the phone conversations... they are important.)  Lithgow is ... well Lithgow, an all time film and TV great.  (I can never unsee his Arthur Mitchell character from season 4 of Dexter).  

Give it a try, especially you weirdo Bridges fans, and even if you're not.  (And you're going to love those dogs.)

FXs-THE-OLD-MAN-Pictured-Jeff-Bridges-as

I made it through 4 episodes before I had to quit.  

It is a good show.  I like the premise of the show.  I just subscribe to the keep it simple stupid with plots. By this, I like premise, but then they seem to add a sub-plot per episode.   What Zoe did at the end of episode 4 was too much.  

11 hours ago, munchmemory said:

Finished season two of Yellowstone last night.  The last few episodes were incredibly fast-paced, exciting and stunning.  Really great storytelling and action packed. 

Beth's office incident.  Monica's boutique incident.  Jamie's incident.  The Tate incident.  Just non-stop.  I also appreciated how the writers ignored convention by resolving the Beck Brothers' story in a peaceful, non-violent way.   Can't wait to see where the series goes from here.

How many TV services do you subscribe to?   I have Netflix and Amazon. Im gonna cut the cord this on the as well.  

• Sympathy 1

11 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

How many TV services do you subscribe to?   I have Netflix and Amazon. Im gonna cut the cord this on the as well.  

It depends.  We subscribe to certain services to watch specific series, then don't renew.  As examples, we signed up with Paramount+ for The Offer and Peacock to watch Yellowstone.  It winds up being cheaper than renting a movie, especially if you find additional entertainment you didn't expect on the service.

We always have Amazon (through Prime) and Netflix.

4 hours ago, maury77 said:

Do we have an agreed upon moratorium on spoilers here? I was underwhelmed by the finale of the Boys, I think the way the season's storylines were resolved left a little something to be desired. 

I could not agree more.  Watched the season finale last night and was very disappointed.  It was pretty much one long fight scene.   Expected better.

On a positive note, the new Saul teaser gave me goose bumps.  I am counting the hours to finally get to the final episodes.

• Upvote 2

On 7/6/2022 at 8:53 AM, munchmemory said:

Interesting, I feel like we have a lot of similar tastes in shows but I stopped Yellowstone after the first season.  It just doesnt register with me at all.  Did you enjoy the first season?

33 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

Interesting, I feel like we have a lot of similar tastes in shows but I stopped Yellowstone after the first season.  It just doesnt register with me at all.  Did you enjoy the first season?

I thought the first season was a bit slow.  The cast kept me interested.  I think Kevin Costner and Kelly Reilly are fantastic.  Season two is much more intense.  Only one episode into season three, so don't know if it will maintain the pace and insanity of season two.

1 minute ago, munchmemory said:

I thought the first season was a bit slow.  The cast kept me interested.  I think Kevin Costner and Kelly Reilly are fantastic.  Season two is much more intense.  Only one episode into season three, so don't know if it will maintain the pace and insanity of season two.

Interesting, I'm somewhat curious to see where the story went because I did give it a season and there was some compelling stuff but I think the issue for me was the cast.  So it's probably just not my show.  There has been a few like that over the years that people love where the characters just didnt hit with me; Dexter, Entourage, House of Cards, a few others that people loved that just didnt register. 

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

Interesting, I'm somewhat curious to see where the story went because I did give it a season and there was some compelling stuff but I think the issue for me was the cast.  So it's probably just not my show.  There has been a few like that over the years that people love where the characters just didnt hit with me; Dexter, Entourage, House of Cards, a few others that people loved that just didnt register. 

Yeah, I get it.  There is a bunch of stuff folks fawn over that I hate.

And in no way am I calling Yellowstone a perfect show.  It's basically a night time soap opera.  Like a modern version of Dallas, Dynasty, etc.  It can be goofy in spots.  And I agree that some of the actors are miscast, Jamie in particular.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

On 7/6/2022 at 5:53 AM, munchmemory said:

Not reading past the bolded since you're ahead of me now.

Last episode I watched Kayce took Rips job.

Hope to watch more soon but I've been watching with my buddy and he's been busy with work lately.

• Upvote 1

On 7/6/2022 at 5:49 PM, southparkcpa said:

We have Amazon just because we have Prime anyway otherwise we probably wouldn't subscribe to it if it was a separate thing. We also have Netflix and have been tempted to cancel it a few times (mainly every time they raise the price) but we still haven't done it yet. That's it for my house.

On 7/8/2022 at 5:34 AM, maury77 said:

Do we have an agreed upon moratorium on spoilers here? I was underwhelmed by the finale of the Boys, I think the way the season's storylines were resolved left a little something to be desired. 

I think common etiquette on the internet is 1 week but AFAIK there is no agreed spoiler policy here. In fact the thread says beware of spoilers so anyone that complains was warned lol. I was underwhelmed as well.

On 7/8/2022 at 11:25 AM, JiFapono said:

Stranger Things was awesome, what a great finish.  Loved it.  Such a fun adventure. 

Started up The Boys, finished season 1, pretty good.  Interesting for sure. Kind of silly but I like it.

It gets better or worse depending on your perspective. More over the top might be a better way to put it. If you enjoyed season 1 it's likely you'll continue to enjoy it.

On 7/8/2022 at 11:33 AM, JiFapono said:

I tried it because Kevin Costner but I ended up enjoying it well enough to continue. If/when Kevin Costner exits the show I might drop it but until then I'll probably keep watching.

On 7/8/2022 at 12:15 PM, JiFapono said:

I feel the House of Cards thing hard. I even watched a few seasons of that and I never really enjoyed it.

Binged the F out of the Boys, finished up season 3 last night.  It's good fun entertainment, no doubt.  I love the parody of society and how accurate it is to the b.s. we are experiencing and how over the top it is to truly illustrate the comparison.  Just brilliant from that perspective.  A few moments I just didnt understand from a storytelling perspective but nothing to frustrating, specifically, Black Nor but overall, fun story, great cliff hanger for the next season.

• Upvote 3

16 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

Binged the F out of the Boys, finished up season 3 last night.  It's good fun entertainment, no doubt.  I love the parody of society and how accurate it is to the b.s. we are experiencing and how over the top it is to truly illustrate the comparison.  Just brilliant from that perspective.  A few moments I just didnt understand from a storytelling perspective but nothing to frustrating, specifically, Black Nor but overall, fun story, great cliff hanger for the next season.

FWIW, Black Noir is very different in the comics. He turns out being a Homelander clone that Vought creates to keep the latter  in check and they wind up killing each other.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, maury77 said:

FWIW, Black Noir is very different in the comics. He turns out being a Homelander clone that Vought creates to keep the latter  in check and they wind up killing each other.

I had no idea this was a comic.  Is it being written currently or is it something that's been out for a while? 

1 hour ago, JiFapono said:

I was late to the party, but fell head over heels for this series.  Just a terrific, beautifully executed, concept.  It's rare that a satire on society and politics, with massive amounts of violence and gore, winds up being this hysterically funny.  

That said, so far, I have not loved season four.   I hope it gets better.  But it might be time to end the thing.

EDIT:  Ignore most of my stupidity.   There is no season four yet.  

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

I was late to the party, but fell head over heels for this series.  Just a terrific, beautifully executed, concept.  It's rare that a satire on society and politics, with massive amounts of violence and gore, winds up being this hysterically funny.  

That said, so far, I have not loved season four.   I hope it gets better.  But it might be time to end the thing.

I didnt even realize they were on 4, just wrapped up 3 on Amazon Prime and didnt see season 4, where do you find it?

And yes, it's very very well done.  The scene where Homelander zaps the dudes head at the rally and the crowd cheers.  I was laughing and then like, not laughing because I could totally see this happening in real life, not laser but something similar, 100%.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

I didnt even realize they were on 4, just wrapped up 3 on Amazon Prime and didnt see season 4, where do you find it?

And yes, it's very very well done.  The scene where Homelander zaps the dudes head at the rally and the crowd cheers.  I was laughing and then like, not laughing because I could totally see this happening in real life, not laser but something similar, 100%.

I have to be the biggest idiot on Earth.  I confused two series that I'm watching.  Think I was commenting on the last part of season THREE.  Of course, I asked my wife: "We're on season four of The Boys, right?"  She says yes.  I just scolded her for allowed me to be more of a moron.  lol

No, there is no season four yet.  It's coming

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, maury77 said:

I finished The Offer last night, what a great series. Lincoln Lawyer is next.

I wasn't sure if they could pull it off, but wound up really loving The Offer, too.  Very well done and entertaining.

Also, anybody else blown away by Monday's Better Call Saul episode?  What an incredible way to complete one storyline while spinning another,   Edge of your seat material.  Beautifully written, directed and acted all around.

• Upvote 1

On 7/12/2022 at 9:24 AM, JiFapono said:

I had the same thought. We even had one huge politician specifically state that he could get away with it. Out loud.

• Upvote 1