TV Series (Opinions, Recommendations, Flaming, etc) ***BEWARE POSSIBLE SPOILERS***

On 7/8/2022 at 7:34 AM, maury77 said:

Do we have an agreed upon moratorium on spoilers here? I was underwhelmed by the finale of the Boys, I think the way the season's storylines were resolved left a little something to be desired. 

On 7/8/2022 at 12:29 PM, munchmemory said:

I could not agree more.  Watched the season finale last night and was very disappointed.  It was pretty much one long fight scene.   Expected better.

The Boys is one of like 5 shows that I actually keep up with because the first two seasons were that good. However, while this season was much funnier than the first two, I was slightly disappointed in the overall season, and super disappointed with the season finale.

To me, Soldier Boy being Homelander's father was obvious from early on in the season so I didn't think it was any big twist, and the way that the final episode played out was so lame. As of right now, it definitely seems like a money grab to just get a fourth season in, but who knows - it could just be setting up for an incredible 4th season. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

On 7/13/2022 at 3:25 PM, greenwichjetfan said:

The Boys is one of like 5 shows that I actually keep up with because the first two seasons were that good. However, while this season was much funnier than the first two, I was slightly disappointed in the overall season, and super disappointed with the season finale.

To me, Soldier Boy being Homelander's father was obvious from early on in the season so I didn't think it was any big twist, and the way that the final episode played out was so lame. As of right now, it definitely seems like a money grab to just get a fourth season in, but who knows - it could just be setting up for an incredible 4th season. 

The 5th Season of The Expanse was trash. Almost wrote off the show...but the last couple of Episodes of the finale season were awesome. It happens to the best shows. They have clunker seasons, especially in this day and age of 8-10 episode seasons.

Remember when Game of Thrones decided to focus on Dorne? We should have known there would be problems then....

Just started BlackBird on Apple TV+. 

Only 6 episodes, the 3rd episode comes out tomorrow. 

Based on a true story about a con sent to a maximum security prison to try and get a confession out of a  serial killer. 

Really really good.  Highly recommend. 

7 hours ago, IndianaJet said:

Not a fan of what they did with BCS last night….

I thought the first part of the episode was a bit confusing, especially Gus and the wine guy.  I figure they are setting something up, but why devote so much screen time there?  Are they making another allusion that Gus might be gay?  Also Mike talking to Nacho's father.  Why did we need this? 

But I really enjoyed the last half hour or so.  Howard's memorial service, Kim's exits (sic), and the major transition into Saul's new digs/professional life.   Really has me excited anticipating what's to come.  

On 7/19/2022 at 2:42 PM, munchmemory said:

I thought the first part of the episode was a bit confusing, especially Gus and the wine guy.  I figure they are setting something up, but why devote so much screen time there?  Are they making another allusion that Gus might be gay?  Also Mike talking to Nacho's father.  Why did we need this? 

But I really enjoyed the last half hour or so.  Howard's memorial service, Kim's exits (sic), and the major transition into Saul's new digs/professional life.   Really has me excited anticipating what's to come.  

I think the thing about Nacho's dad was that Mike was trying to play some kind of good guy there and dad told him about his ass and he knows it's true. The only Good Mike, in both shows, is when he's with his granddaughter. 

• Sympathy 1

7 hours ago, Jet9 said:

I think the thing about Nacho's dad was that Mike was trying to play some kind of good guy there and dad told him about his ass and he knows it's true. The only Good Mike, in both shows, is when he's with his granddaughter. 

Yeah, that's a very good point.  I think you're right.  Mike trying to be the white knight and Nacho's Dad was having none of it.  I keep telling my wife and son that I wish Jonathan banks was a few years younger so that we might see a series about how Mike became Mike.  We've gotten bits and pieces, but I want so much more about this fascinating character.  

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, munchmemory said:

Yeah, that's a very good point.  I think you're right.  Mike trying to be the white knight and Nacho's Dad was having none of it.  I keep telling my wife and son that I wish Jonathan banks was a few years younger so that we might see a series about how Mike became Mike.  We've gotten bits and pieces, but I want so much more about this fascinating character.  

Would love to see that. But Wiki says he's 75 right now. On that topic, the actor who plays Hewell clearly lost a lot of weight in between BB and BCS. It ends up making sense in the storyline though. 

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Jet9 said:

Would love to see that. But Wiki says he's 75 right now. On that topic, the actor who plays Hewell clearly lost a lot of weight in between BB and BCS. It ends up making sense in the storyline though. 

McPike!  

Which, by the way, I have been watching in re-runs.  First time I saw Kevin Spacey.  

10 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

Watching the latest season of Umbrella Academy. Never expect this show to be top tier, but still, the acting by those playing Ben and Faye is so, so bad. The rest of the cast deserves better. 

That is really not a show I would have expected you to watch let alone 3 seasons.

Edit: I like the kid that plays 5 alot. I hope he does other stuff when the show ends.

On 7/19/2022 at 3:42 PM, munchmemory said:

Finally watched the two episodes.  Here's what I think the Gus interaction was all about.  First..  there is not too much of a role left for him in BCS for the remainder of  season.  We may see him with Walter White and Jesse at some point, but briefly I would think.  For the most part, he is done, and this was for adding depth and character development there after everything he brought to BB and BCS.  Gus has to stop himself from what could be a pleasant relationship, perhaps sexual (as many thought in BB), despite his pleasure at the wine and with the conversation as a whole.  He can't engage in anything personal or socially deep because of what he does and who he is.  That pretty much wraps up Gus' storyline for the series I think.

Also, similar for Mike.  There isn't much left for him on this season.  He was told to go find a new engineering crew and that's his role now that Lalo is resolved.  We will not be seeing much of Mike (perhaps again with Walter White and Jesse). Mike is so deeply flawed.  Between his murder of the German engineer and perhaps here he is trying to make good on all his horrible bad and  his obvious guilt.  Mike has chosen his path by breaking bad so to speak and this shows there is no return.  Never. There is really nothing left for him this season.  Neither Gus nor Mike can be brought into the Gene era so that's a wrap for them.  These were their farewells I think.

• Post of the Week 1

13 minutes ago, Nolder said:

That is really not a show I would have expected you to watch let alone 3 seasons.

Edit: I like the kid that plays 5 alot. I hope he does other stuff when the show ends.

Wife and I like this show. Some of the acting is silly but for the most part they can carry the plot.  

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Dcat said:

Finally watched the two episodes.  Here's what I think the Gus interaction was all about.  First..  there is not too much of a role left for him in BCS for the remainder of  season.  We may see him with Walter White and Jesse at some point, but briefly I would think.  For the most part, he is done, and this was for adding depth and character development there after everything he brought to BB and BCS.  Gus has to stop himself from what could be a pleasant relationship, perhaps sexual (as many thought in BB), despite his pleasure at the wine and with the conversation as a whole.  He can't engage in anything personal or socially deep because of what he does and who he is.  That pretty much wraps up Gus' storyline for the series I think.

Also, similar for Mike.  There isn't much left for him on this season.  He was told to go find a new engineering crew and that's his role now that Lalo is resolved.  We will not be seeing much of Mike (perhaps again with Walter White and Jesse). Mike is so deeply flawed.  Between his murder of the German engineer and perhaps here he is trying to make good on all his horrible bad and  his obvious guilt.  Mike has chosen his path by breaking bad so to speak and this shows there is no return.  Never. There is really nothing left for him this season.  Neither Gus nor Mike can be brought into the Gene era so that's a wrap for them.  These were their farewells I think.

Nice write up, Dcat.   Seems right on the money.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Nolder said:

5 is my favorite. I also get a kick out of Lila and Klaus. It’s a filler show, when I don’t have something better. It’s alright.

1 hour ago, Integrity28 said:

5 is my favorite. I also get a kick out of Lila and Klaus. It’s a filler show, when I don’t have something better. It’s alright.

Yeah Klaus is great too. His interactions with the father are pretty funny.

Also yeah I know what you mean by filler show. I watched Iron Chef when it came out on Netflix lol.

1 hour ago, Nolder said:

Yeah Klaus is great too. His interactions with the father are pretty funny.

Also yeah I know what you mean by filler show. I watched Iron Chef when it came out on Netflix lol.

I’m guilty of consuming hours of Diners, Drive-ins and Dives. I love it and dare anyone to judge me for it. ?

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

I’m guilty of consuming hours of Diners, Drive-ins and Dives. I love it and dare anyone to judge me for it. ?

Between Triple D and Good Eats Reruns, I'm in no position to judge. Probably seen all of each series.

• Sympathy 1

Another of the recommended shows I don't like or get: The Bear.  Various family members lauded this thing.  I have now disowned them.  Horribly overwritten, trite scripts with much screaming and uttering of expletives until your head is about to explode.   A bunch of bad acting, too.  

• Sympathy 1

40 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Another of the recommended shows I don't like or get: The Bear.  Various family members lauded this thing.  I have now disowned them.  Horribly overwritten, trite scripts with much screaming and uttering of expletives until your head is about to explode.   A bunch of bad acting, too.  

Yeah... it's not good.  They took Jeremy Allen White and gave him practically the same persona that he had as Lip in Shameless.  But it just doesn't work in this scenario.  It is preposterous to even think he was a master chef in Manhattan (never would happen).  The artificial "family" relationships among the workers in the diner is B.S. also.   That he shows all the workers all the money his brother hid from the mob in the sauce cans is also ridiculous.  No one would do that... especially with mafia money.  Too bad.  I liked White very much in Shameless.  This is the wrong spot for him and the effort to give him the same personality was just dumb.  

In addition, the whole idea of hiding tens of thousands in tomato sauce cans in a restaurant for all those months is also very stupid.  To think that none of those cans would have been opened  already in a very busy food place is silly.  

• Sympathy 1

15 hours ago, Jet9 said:

Exactly what I thought.  It is his character's farewell to the BCS/BB series as I thought.  His choices in life prevent him from pleasant human relationships and this scene aptly shows this.

What a great menacing character he was on both shows.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, Dcat said:

Yeah... it's not good.  They took Jeremy Allen White and gave him practically the same persona that he had as Lip in Shameless.  But it just doesn't work in this scenario.  It is preposterous to even think he was a master chef in Manhattan (never would happen).  The artificial "family" relationships among the workers in the diner is B.S. also.   That he shows all the workers all the money his brother hid from the mob in the sauce cans is also ridiculous.  No one would do that... especially with mafia money.  Too bad.  I liked White very much in Shameless.  This is the wrong spot for him and the effort to give him the same personality was just dumb.  

In addition, the whole idea of hiding tens of thousands in tomato sauce cans in a restaurant for all those months is also very stupid.  To think that none of those cans would have been opened  already in a very busy food place is silly.  

First, HTF did Mikey hide the money in the cans?  Went to the factory before canning?  Resealed them perfectly after inserting the money without the tomatoes spoiling or leaking?  

Yeah, I like Jeremy Allen White in Shameless, too.  You're right, this is not the vehicle for him and his talent.   As I said before, the acting level in this show is awful.  "Cousin" (wanted to scream every time they said this and "chef") and Sydney are particularly egregious.  And let's not forget the seen-a-thousand-times-before-angry Latina performance from the Tina character.  I have no idea who did the casting on this train wreck or WTF the series creator was thinking.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, munchmemory said:

I'm not a fan of it either, but I have worked and know many people in the food industry and they love it. Most say it's the most authentic depiction of their profession than anything else on TV or movies. 

3 minutes ago, JetPotato said:

I'm not a fan of it either, but I have worked and know many people in the food industry and they love it. Most say it's the most authentic depiction of their profession than anything else depicted on TV or movies. 

All the show needs is a couple of lengthy Ana de Armas shower scenes.

16 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

DDD is good I used to watch it when we had cable. That and Man vs Food and Bizzare Foods with Andrew Zimmern are three shows I watched a lot lol.