TV Series (Opinions, Recommendations, Flaming, etc) ***BEWARE POSSIBLE SPOILERS***

2 hours ago, JiF said:

I'm not sure I could even explain it if you didnt see the last few seasons but there are 2 answers.  The simple answer is, they did what they always did, beat some other threatening group w/ guile, wit and team work!  lol  But to answer your question more directly, it didnt "end",  they're like 7 spins offs coming out that all tie back to the original show. 

Like, flipping through Amazon, Neegan and Maggie have their own show now, lol, soon Carol and Daryl, I think Fear the Walking Dead is still going on and then there was also the "World Beyond"...I mean, who the **** is that invested in this universe they're watching all these shows to connect all the dots?  F that...lol 

All I ever wanted was a Rick movie in theaters tbh.

• Upvote 2

30 minutes ago, Nolder said:

Yeah with shows like The Walking Dead I used to just watch them to the bitter end as well because I invested many hours and it used to be good so I would always hold onto that hope that a show could reclaim it but honestly I’ve been burned too many times either with shows that never get better or just cancellation. When a show you like is cancelled it sucks but when a show you were trying to like gets cancelled I think it sucks even more. So yeah I just don’t do that anymore. Also I did try the new walking dead show with Neagan and Maggy. I hated the first episode and remembered why I stopped watching both the main series and Fear The Walking Dead which I also liked for the first few seasons. I think the last show I watched to the bitter end despite not liking it much anymore was Sons of Anarchy ironically enough.

As for From, yeah I didn’t even want to mention the cliffhanger because it was actually well done and deserved that complete shock without expecting it. Minor spoiler for anyone who hasn’t seen it yet but my favorite part of the second season was that they kept the priest character despite what happened to him in season one. Boyd is obviously the stand out star of the show (in fact the acting is overall subpar imo) but I did like the priest a lot too. My friend has a theory that only a certain amount of people are allowed into the town and that it tries to maintain that number because every time people die more people come but I think that’s dumb and don’t really agree with him. Regardless I do feel like we at least inched the story along and it was enough to satisfy me for now and not make me drop the show. I’m excited for season three which we probably won’t get until 2030 because of the writers and actors striking.

I know I'm in the minority but I loved SOA to the bitter end...

*********big spoilers************

I actually think the acting is very good in From, not all the roles but some actors are knocking it out of the park; Jade, Victor, Priest, Kenny, Sara IMO are extremely convincing.  Your friends theory doesnt add up.  Like just off the rip, 2 die and 6 join but even so, it doesnt explain why, how or what.  Then again, I dont really have a theory to throw in there so I cant knock it.  I think that's what is so impressive about the storytelling, like I really dont even know where to begin because I dont understand why this world exists.  I assume the obvious, which is ultimately it's some type of other dimension but what, why, how, who, I really I have no idea.  Some type of real life connection to the kids?  To each other?  Some Saw sh*t where they have transgressions they need to work out by figuring out the mystery?  No clue and it's great.  Hope they pull it off. 

1 hour ago, JiF said:

I actually think the acting is very good in From, not all the roles but some actors are knocking it out of the park; Jade, Victor, Priest, Kenny, Sara IMO are extremely convincing.  Your friends theory doesnt add up.  Like just off the rip, 2 die and 6 join but even so, it doesnt explain why, how or what.  Then again, I dont really have a theory to throw in there so I cant knock it.  I think that's what is so impressive about the storytelling, like I really dont even know where to begin because I dont understand why this world exists.  I assume the obvious, which is ultimately it's some type of other dimension but what, why, how, who, I really I have no idea.  Some type of real life connection to the kids?  To each other?  Some Saw sh*t where they have transgressions they need to work out by figuring out the mystery?  No clue and it's great.  Hope they pull it off. 

I would not say loved, but I enjoyed it to the end.

I feel the same with the recently ended Mayans.  It was a good show. 

I started on Justified City Primeval.  Hopefully, Olyphant's nepotism, actual daughter is in the show, does not detract from the show.  She had a scene where she is just casually walking through the Detroit ghetto with a derpy look on her face.  She has the emotional range of a rock.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, JiF said:

I think they just flipped people into heels and babyface too often. Ron Pearlman and Katey Sagal (I forget their character names it's been so long) made great bad guys. You loved to hate them. But when the "complicated antagonist" spreads to the point where the main character is the bad guy and then the good guy again but then he's kind of a dick but man he's just trying to keep his crew together but then man he's really a dick, etc, etc, etc it got to be too much for me. Really cool show and it has some top tier moments the entire way through but the latter seasons were a real struggle for me to get through.

7 hours ago, JiF said:

I actually think the acting is very good in From, not all the roles but some actors are knocking it out of the park; Jade, Victor, Priest, Kenny, Sara IMO are extremely convincing.

Best actors on the show IMO: Boyd, Victor, Dona but only when she's mad. They're all killing it. Jim and Jade get A-'s. Everyone else strikes me as B tier and trying too hard. I don't hold it against them I mean this really seems like the kind of show where you get a lot of that practice and get a star role later down the line maybe. I'm just saying I wouldn't be handing out any awards. I like when Hollywood actually uses new actors so I'm not down on it at all.

7 hours ago, JiF said:

Your friends theory doesnt add up.  Like just off the rip, 2 die and 6 join but even so, it doesnt explain why, how or what.  Then again, I dont really have a theory to throw in there so I cant knock it.  I think that's what is so impressive about the storytelling, like I really dont even know where to begin because I dont understand why this world exists.  I assume the obvious, which is ultimately it's some type of other dimension but what, why, how, who, I really I have no idea.  Some type of real life connection to the kids?  To each other?  Some Saw sh*t where they have transgressions they need to work out by figuring out the mystery?  No clue and it's great.  Hope they pull it off. 

Yeah. I see where he was getting the idea because that mom and kid died right off the bat and then Jim's family rolls into town, the guy in the box and then Jade is there, Colony House and then the bus. So I get the idea but it just doesn't match up enough for me to buy it. My friend did note something which I do think is legit that every person who comes seems to have some kind of major problem IRL. Jim's family was getting divorced, Kenny's dad was sick, Father Khatri was not a priest, etc.

My best guess, and this is going to seem simplistic, is that they are all dead or maybe half dead and they're in some purgatory. I never watched Lost but I know some people that worked on Lost work on this show as well and I heard that the big reveal for Lost was something similar like they're all dead or something so as lame as it sounds I can see it being the same here as well. Maybe they thought they could do Lost again...but better! I will say this has captured my attention when Lost couldn't so ehhh if that's the case I'm ok with it.

7 hours ago, JiF said:

I thought that was happening?  Or maybe another series but I thought I read somewhere Rick and Michone have something out there.

I think that was their first idea a long long time ago and then they announced all these shows. I think like you just said Rick and Michone have a show coming out but I think the original idea was a movie. Just double checked Wikipedia and it says that the Rick and Michone show is based off a trilogy of scrapped movies. So I think this one has some potential to still be interesting. I'll admit while I did check out the Neagan and Maggie show I probably wont check out the Daryl and Carol show. Those were characters I didn't like for like 3 or 4 seasons when I finally did drop the show lol.

5 hours ago, PFSIKH said:

I didn't check out Mayans. As might be obvious it seemed targeted more at a hispanic audience so I took a pass, especially because I was struggling with SOA at the end anyway. If it was good maybe I'll go back and check it out sometime if I have nothing else to watch. This strike might leave me at that point eventually heh.

5 hours ago, PFSIKH said:

I started on Justified City Primeval.  Hopefully, Olyphant's nepotism, actual daughter is in the show, does not detract from the show.  She had a scene where she is just casually walking through the Detroit ghetto with a derpy look on her face.  She has the emotional range of a rock.

I'm waiting until all the episodes are out to just binge this. It's unfortunate she's not that great but hopefully it gives Olyphant that extra oomf as Raylan which, let's be honest, is all the show is about anyway.

1 hour ago, Nolder said:
9 hours ago, JiF said:

I think they just flipped people into heels and babyface too often. Ron Pearlman and Katey Sagal (I forget their character names it's been so long) made great bad guys. You loved to hate them. But when the "complicated antagonist" spreads to the point where the main character is the bad guy and then the good guy again but then he's kind of a dick but man he's just trying to keep his crew together but then man he's really a dick, etc, etc, etc it got to be too much for me. Really cool show and it has some top tier moments the entire way through but the latter seasons were a real struggle for me to get through.

Sure but I think this is the formula for the majority of these shows that feature an anti-hero, so to speak.  Rick, Walt White, Jax Teller, Tommy Shelby, Ray Dononvan.  While I dont disagree that story arch can be repetitive, I think I just accept it because I know that's what I'm strapping in to watch. 

1 hour ago, Nolder said:

Best actors on the show IMO: Boyd, Victor, Dona but only when she's mad. They're all killing it. Jim and Jade get A-'s. Everyone else strikes me as B tier and trying too hard. I don't hold it against them I mean this really seems like the kind of show where you get a lot of that practice and get a star role later down the line maybe. I'm just saying I wouldn't be handing out any awards. I like when Hollywood actually uses new actors so I'm not down on it at all.

Boyd is great too, meant to add him.  I like Donna as a character but I cant say her acting is the reason why but overall, I agree.  This could catapult some careers, same way SOA did for Charlie Hunnam.  And to an extent, you need some campiness to this type of show, so not allstar acting is more then acceptable. 

1 hour ago, Nolder said:

Yeah. I see where he was getting the idea because that mom and kid died right off the bat and then Jim's family rolls into town, the guy in the box and then Jade is there, Colony House and then the bus. So I get the idea but it just doesn't match up enough for me to buy it. My friend did note something which I do think is legit that every person who comes seems to have some kind of major problem IRL. Jim's family was getting divorced, Kenny's dad was sick, Father Khatri was not a priest, etc.

My best guess, and this is going to seem simplistic, is that they are all dead or maybe half dead and they're in some purgatory. I never watched Lost but I know some people that worked on Lost work on this show as well and I heard that the big reveal for Lost was something similar like they're all dead or something so as lame as it sounds I can see it being the same here as well. Maybe they thought they could do Lost again...but better! I will say this has captured my attention when Lost couldn't so ehhh if that's the case I'm ok with it.

Yeah but still the math theory doesnt add, 2 die, 6 arrive and 5 survive and I dont they shared a causality number from the Colony House to know the Bus replaced them.  I dont even think a RL world tie in makes sense, now that we talk this out because Victor has been there for what 40 years?   That's a sh*t ton of people to come and go to all have some connection or RL thingy going on that trapped them there.  They did say the 2 girls meeting was a first too, so I wonder if it is random but somehow they trigger the tree and enter this dimension.  That said, I could see the dimension existing for the kids souls to be set free or whatever, some kind of thing like that, purgatory, I guess but I dont think the people trapper there are dead, I think that's obvious now. 

I could not get into Lost, was the the mystery?  They all actually died?  lol 

2 hours ago, Nolder said:

I think that was their first idea a long long time ago and then they announced all these shows. I think like you just said Rick and Michone have a show coming out but I think the original idea was a movie. Just double checked Wikipedia and it says that the Rick and Michone show is based off a trilogy of scrapped movies. So I think this one has some potential to still be interesting. I'll admit while I did check out the Neagan and Maggie show I probably wont check out the Daryl and Carol show. Those were characters I didn't like for like 3 or 4 seasons when I finally did drop the show lol.

Yeah, I think they're biggest mistake was they flexed the, "we will kill anyone on the show at any time" muscle so hard, that it ultimately killed the show.  Some of the writing toward the end was even pretty decent but it was just carried by terrible characters. I'd probably give Rick and MIchone a try though.

11 hours ago, JiF said:

Sure but I think this is the formula for the majority of these shows that feature an anti-hero, so to speak.  Rick, Walt White, Jax Teller, Tommy Shelby, Ray Dononvan.  While I dont disagree that story arch can be repetitive, I think I just accept it because I know that's what I'm strapping in to watch. 

Fair point. Not sure why SOA rubbed me the wrong way more than any of the others.

11 hours ago, JiF said:

Boyd is great too, meant to add him.  I like Donna as a character but I cant say her acting is the reason why but overall, I agree.  This could catapult some careers, same way SOA did for Charlie Hunnam.  And to an extent, you need some campiness to this type of show, so not allstar acting is more then acceptable. 

Definitely. I think there are people that wont be able to get past that but imo that's their loss.

11 hours ago, JiF said:

Yeah but still the math theory doesnt add, 2 die, 6 arrive and 5 survive and I dont they shared a causality number from the Colony House to know the Bus replaced them.  I dont even think a RL world tie in makes sense, now that we talk this out because Victor has been there for what 40 years?   That's a sh*t ton of people to come and go to all have some connection or RL thingy going on that trapped them there.  They did say the 2 girls meeting was a first too, so I wonder if it is random but somehow they trigger the tree and enter this dimension.  That said, I could see the dimension existing for the kids souls to be set free or whatever, some kind of thing like that, purgatory, I guess but I dont think the people trapper there are dead, I think that's obvious now. 

Yeah I'd say it's definitely still up in the air I'm not married to any theory yet.

11 hours ago, JiF said:

I could not get into Lost, was the the mystery?  They all actually died?  lol 

I think so. I mean I was told this second hand so I'm not really sure maybe someone who watched Lost can chime in but yeah I think that was the big mystery and why weird things happened like the polar bear on the island or the one guy who couldn't walk was able to walk again. They were already dead.

11 hours ago, JiF said:

Yeah, I think they're biggest mistake was they flexed the, "we will kill anyone on the show at any time" muscle so hard, that it ultimately killed the show.  Some of the writing toward the end was even pretty decent but it was just carried by terrible characters. I'd probably give Rick and MIchone a try though.

I've actually watched a lot of "breakdowns" and "reviews" and whatnot for TWD so I'm semi aware of where the show went after I stopped watching and from what I can tell you're basically right, the show took a dip in quality for awhile but by all accounts it picked back up...but by then a sizable chunk of the audience, myself included, had abandoned the show. It seems like the tipping point for most people was the Glenn fake out followed by the actual Glenn kill. Most people felt like the way he survived was cheap and then the way he was killed was gruesome even by TWD standards. I know Glenn dies in the comics but he was such a fan favorite and the actor played him so well I think this might have been a case where a TV show would have been better off deviating from the source material and giving Glenn some plot armor even if it pissed off a portion of comic fans because the majority of show watchers would have preferred it.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Nolder said:

so. I mean I was told this second hand so I'm not really sure maybe someone who watched Lost can chime in but yeah I think that was the big mystery and why weird things happened like the polar bear on the island or the one guy who couldn't walk was able to walk again. They were already dead.

Sort of.  

The end of the show when they were all in LA, **cough cough** Hawaii, they were already dead.  The 'everyone dead' was not part of the show's timeline or a different timeline.     The show's plot timeline was from the plane crash to Hurley taking over, Jack killing the black smoke, dying and several inhabitants escaping the island. 

"The 'everyone dead' portion was a quick way to tie a pretty bow and end the show some sort of way.  Jack's father explained this world was a "place you all created to find each other".   He said something to the effect, you all were lost and needed each other to heal/move on.  Each character had to remember through some epiphany so they could realize what the people meant to them and could move on.  

On 7/27/2023 at 6:58 AM, maury77 said:

I feel like an MCU apologist, but I enjoyed Secret Invasion. I thought it was better than a lot of the other shows Marvel has put out. 

I was enjoying it until the end. That finale was a train wreck. The whole 2nd half of the season felt rushed and what we're left with after that painful-to-watch fight kind of ruins things as far as MCU pecking order.

23 hours ago, PFSIKH said:

Didn't realize that's his actual daughter. He's one of my favorite actors. She is like nails on a chalkboard.

17 hours ago, Nolder said:

I didn't check out Mayans. As might be obvious it seemed targeted more at a hispanic audience so I took a pass, especially because I was struggling with SOA at the end anyway. If it was good maybe I'll go back and check it out sometime if I have nothing else to watch. This strike might leave me at that point eventually heh.

I'm waiting until all the episodes are out to just binge this. It's unfortunate she's not that great but hopefully it gives Olyphant that extra oomf as Raylan which, let's be honest, is all the show is about anyway.

The original show was so much more than just Olyphant. First of all, Walton Goggins was brilliant. The new show is also making me miss the rural Kentucky aspect of this show. It was one of those shows where the location takes on as its own character. This one, not so much. And the new villain is a shell of Boyd Crowder in my opinion. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, JetPotato said:

The original show was so much more than just Olyphant. First of all, Walton Goggins was brilliant. The new show is also making me miss the rural Kentucky aspect of this show. It was one of those shows where the location takes on as its own character. This one, not so much. And the new villain is a shell of Boyd Crowder in my opinion. 

I did not know it was his daughter until I saw the credits rolling.

Good points.  Goggins as an antagonist was a huge benefit to the old show.  

8 hours ago, PFSIKH said:

Sort of.  

The end of the show when they were all in LA, **cough cough** Hawaii, they were already dead.  The 'everyone dead' was not part of the show's timeline or a different timeline.     The show's plot timeline was from the plane crash to Hurley taking over, Jack killing the black smoke, dying and several inhabitants escaping the island. 

"The 'everyone dead' portion was a quick way to tie a pretty bow and end the show some sort of way.  Jack's father explained this world was a "place you all created to find each other".   He said something to the effect, you all were lost and needed each other to heal/move on.  Each character had to remember through some epiphany so they could realize what the people meant to them and could move on.  

So it was something they came up with late in the show and it wasn't always planned that way?

7 hours ago, JetPotato said:

No arguments from me about any of that. I love both characters but if you asked me if I wanted a Raylan spin off or a Boyd spin off I would have chosen Boyd lol. Kentucky was definitely cool and different from a lot of other shows (was it actually filmed in Kentucky?).

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, JetPotato said:

After that Secret Invasion finale, I may be done for good. Just putrid.

I was done after Guardians 3.   That was the last movie I wanted to see in the MCU, I very much enjoyed it.

I really have not liked much since Endgame, my 2 boys are a little older now, they don't like anything the MCU is making anymore.  They have no interest in watching the shows

• Upvote 4

On 8/7/2023 at 2:20 PM, chirorob said:

I was done after Guardians 3.   That was the last movie I wanted to see in the MCU, I very much enjoyed it.

I really have not liked much since Endgame, my 2 boys are a little older now, they don't like anything the MCU is making anymore.  They have no interest in watching the shows

I am not there yet.  Well, I am and I ain't.

I just watch, good or bad, what I want to watch.  I watched Secret Invasion and would give it a B- or C+.  Started as an A and just got worse.

I am going to watch Loki.  I will probably watch Daredevil.  The movie side, I will probably do the big movies concerning Kang, etc.

• Upvote 1

Also, I thought the season finale of Season 2 of The Bear was a little bit forced.

I like that Carmy had to be where he ended up (trying to avoid spoilers) but the thing with Claire and then Richard sort of came out of nowhere.

Still good though I'd watch a season 3.

Edit: is it weird that my favorite character is the Uncle? He's not in the show much but every time he is he kinda steals the show imo.

1 hour ago, Nolder said:

Also, I thought the season finale of Season 2 of The Bear was a little bit forced.

I like that Carmy had to be where he ended up (trying to avoid spoilers) but the thing with Claire and then Richard sort of came out of nowhere.

Still good though I'd watch a season 3.

Edit: is it weird that my favorite character is the Uncle? He's not in the show much but every time he is he kinda steals the show imo.

The argument (and camera view thereof)  between Richie and Carmy was just like Ive seen in my wife's family (Italian/half sicilian) in intense, inflamed moments... Loved it.  Uncle will be plenty involved in season 3, I'm sure.  He's great and we will see more of Odenkirk too as his involvement with the family will become more and more clear.  

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Also, I'm aware that I'm like 6 years late, but season 1 of peaky blinders has been awesome. Can't wait for the rest. And this lady Grace is a very welcome part of the show. 

Same.  

It was a little slow to start for me.  It was close to being abandoned.  I watched Episode 5 Sunday and I think I am in.