TV Series (Opinions, Recommendations, Flaming, etc) ***BEWARE POSSIBLE SPOILERS***

4 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I kind of felt the opposite—that the Joel and Ellie scenes were an anchor to the show. I get that Pascal’s m.o. is to be the smoldering, tortured anti-hero, but he was just so one-note that watching him became a slog. I’m guessing that Mazin engineered it that way to contrast  with Bella Ramsey’s spriteliness but I don’t feel like she’s ready to carry that much of the show. Reminded me of the Mulder-Scully dynamic, but if you cast, like, Maggie Gyllenhall as Scully. It didn’t help that Mazin was antagonistic toward all critiques, imo. 

Joel and Ellie were kind of the only good things on that show. It was watchable.  Never saw or played the game but still disappointingly predictable in key spots.  I'll look at next season.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Dcat said:

Joel and Ellie were kind of the only good things on that show. It was watchable.  Never saw or played the game but still disappointingly predictable in key spots.  I'll look at next season.

In the game, Joel is a lot tougher, imo. In the HBO show, he’s written to be a lot more vulnerable in an attempt to make the character more complex. The stuff where he’s leaning on trees having anxiety attacks was a bit much. I didn’t hate the show, per se, I just thought it was clumsy in the way it built the characters out. Kinda felt like a generic zombie flick by the end, whereas the game felt like it aspired to more than that

• Upvote 3

On 4/16/2023 at 7:38 PM, Dunnie said:

Watched all of Tulsa King this weekend .. just started The Boys

TK was light fun.. Sly is still semi enjoyable

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

The Boys is an all timer. 

Prime has some damn good original content. 

• Upvote 1

On 4/16/2023 at 6:38 PM, Dunnie said:

Watched all of Tulsa King this weekend .. just started The Boys

TK was light fun.. Sly is still semi enjoyable

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

I about lost my $hit watching Paramount this weekend.  It has the worst TV app. 

I was watching Mayor of Kingstown.  Bunny was talking to Mike and I missed a name Bunny said.  I should have just let it go, but no, like an idiot, I tried to rewind. 

Paramount's rewind speed is faster than the speed of light.  It rewinds me to a previous scene.  Commercials kick in.  I fast forward to the scene I want.  Commercials kick in, but I have to sit through them for over 90 seconds.  It starts in the previous scene.   I forward again to the scene.  It is a night and day difference in the scenes.  Literally.  So I know I am in the correct scene.  Of course, it does the same thing.  I eventually went to the next scene so I could go back to the Mike/Bunny scene.  Get through it and straight to another commercial.  The commercials finish and it starts at the previous scene.

I then installed the app on my phone so Google Play would let me write a review.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

Wife started me on Yellowjackets on Showtime. Anyone into this? Curious on some takes here.

It's a confusing show. It almost seems like there are two different writing teams that glue together the plot. At times, I find myself thinking, "wow, that's just quality, deep character development" and other scenes just come off as lazy and campy. I'm 3 episodes in and will stick with it for now because it's kind of a fun concept. We'll see.

5 hours ago, PFSIKH said:

I about lost my $hit watching Paramount this weekend.  It has the worst TV app. 

I was watching Mayor of Kingstown.  Bunny was talking to Mike and I missed a name Bunny said.  I should have just let it go, but no, like an idiot, I tried to rewind. 

Paramount's rewind speed is faster than the speed of light.  It rewinds me to a previous scene.  Commercials kick in.  I fast forward to the scene I want.  Commercials kick in, but I have to sit through them for over 90 seconds.  It starts in the previous scene.   I forward again to the scene.  It is a night and day difference in the scenes.  Literally.  So I know I am in the correct scene.  Of course, it does the same thing.  I eventually went to the next scene so I could go back to the Mike/Bunny scene.  Get through it and straight to another commercial.  The commercials finish and it starts at the previous scene.

I then installed the app on my phone so Google Play would let me write a review.

That sounds like a nightmare I would have been pretty annoyed.

1 hour ago, JTJet said:

While the majority of Mandalorian season 3 has been hot garbage, the final episode made up for it. 

The feels. 

Don't let them do you like that. 1/8th of the show was good? Great.

I checked out at episode 4. I was actually really hyped for this season.

Biggest disappointment since the live action Halo show. 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, JetPotato said:

Wife started me on Yellowjackets on Showtime. Anyone into this? Curious on some takes here.

It's a confusing show. It almost seems like there are two different writing teams that glue together the plot. At times, I find myself thinking, "wow, that's just quality, deep character development" and other scenes just come off as lazy and campy. I'm 3 episodes in and will stick with it for now because it's kind of a fun concept. We'll see.

The first half of season one was great. Loved it.

I don't want to spoil anything but it becomes incredibly frustrating in the 2nd half.

My take is that they were extended somewhere in production and started to drag things out.

Season 2 is meh so far.

Wish they would have just done it all in one season. 

• Upvote 1

Just stumbled upon "The Last Kingdom" on Netflix. And I'm binging it like a fiend.

If you were a fan of GoT you'll like this. It's based on The Saxon Stories series of historical fiction.

So no dragons, but really, really well done. 

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, Nolder said:

Don't let them do you like that. 1/8th of the show was good? Great.

I checked out at episode 4. I was actually really hyped for this season.

Biggest disappointment since the live action Halo show. 

I look at it as 17 of 24 total episodes have been good. They clearly wanted to jam more into this season with Bo Katan, but ultimately I'm happy with where they left everything. 

I just pretend the Lizzo/Jack Black episode was some sort of fanfic that doesn't count. 

The Halo show on the other hand.... holy hell what a ******* disaster that was. Let's take Master Chief, who is absolutely iconic for not showing his face, and show his face every other ******* 2 minutes for 10 episodes. 

There was a sequence where they were about to leave and travel to another area via Warthog, and MC puts his helmet on to leave and the next scene is him taking his helmet off while exiting the vehicle in the next area. 

Seriously? Wtf is the point in even having the damn thing. 

Not to mention the Covenant and their human girl boss. Ridiculous. 

• Upvote 1

On 4/17/2023 at 10:22 AM, greenwichjetfan said:

Is anyone else really liking Lucky Hank? Haven't seen last night's episode yet, but the goose boxing one was topnotch TV.

New season of Dave is....well, exactly what you expect it to be. Teetering on very good but falling short each episode. 

I guess I must be the only one. Finally caught up on last week's episode - it was fantastic. 

On 4/17/2023 at 11:22 AM, greenwichjetfan said:

Is anyone else really liking Lucky Hank? Haven't seen last night's episode yet, but the goose boxing one was topnotch TV.

New season of Dave is....well, exactly what you expect it to be. Teetering on very good but falling short each episode. 

gave up on this after 3 episodes. It is terrible.  Bad role for Odenkirk.  He's not funny.  The script is not funny.  The characters have zero charisma except for his wife.  

I will qualify this by saying I am not the biggest Star Wars nerd.  I do not know every intricate detail of the Star Wars universe as a whole.  I grew up with the original three movies.  I am sure if I dug through my crap I could find a rather worn Start Wars #3 or 4 comic.   

With that being said, I did not hate Mandalorian, but I did not exactly like it either.  I am not sure about some of this season's storylines.  The part on Coruscant.  Is that setting something up?  While I am not surprised they did not flesh out Admiral Thrawn a little more, I read the books back in the 90s.  Yes, actual hard copy books.  I was hoping for a Thanos like, "fine I will do it myself" or something.

It was not an OMG type of season.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

On 4/19/2023 at 9:39 AM, JetPotato said:

Season one is fine but Season two is starting to go all mystical and it's becoming more far fetched than ever.

Halfway through it but they need to get their act together for me to continue watching.

On 4/19/2023 at 1:58 PM, y2k8 said:

The first half of season one was great. Loved it.

I don't want to spoil anything but it becomes incredibly frustrating in the 2nd half.

My take is that they were extended somewhere in production and started to drag things out.

Season 2 is meh so far.

Wish they would have just done it all in one season. 

this.

First two episodes of season 4 of Barry are a rocking.

Perry Mason is one of the best things to come out on TV for a long time.  Matthew Rhys is a fine actor.  Might have to look at "The Americans"

Has anyone heard anything about the White House Plumbers?  Looks enticing.

44 minutes ago, peebag said:

First two episodes of season 4 of Barry are a rocking.

Perry Mason is one of the best things to come out on TV for a long time.  Matthew Rhys is a fine actor.  Might have to look at "The Americans"

Has anyone heard anything about the White House Plumbers?  Looks enticing.

Perry Mason had such promise.  First season was pretty good.  I'm disappointed so far... (only watched 3 eps).  Way too much time being spent on Della Street's love life.  Don't care that much to devote that kind of screen time away from the plot.  Audience doesn't care for the most part. None of it would have went down that way back in the 1920's so the less the better.  Not enough law.  Not enough time actually spent on the case.  I like all the actors (wife doesn't like Rhys for whatever reason).  THe case itself just isn't all that interesting.  I dunno.  Maybe it will perk up.

37 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Perry Mason had such promise.  First season was pretty good.  I'm disappointed so far... (only watched 3 eps).  Way too much time being spent on Della Street's love life.  Don't care that much to devote that kind of screen time away from the plot.  Audience doesn't care for the most part. None of it would have went down that way back in the 1920's so the less the better.  Not enough law.  Not enough time actually spent on the case.  I like all the actors (wife doesn't like Rhys for whatever reason).  THe case itself just isn't all that interesting.  I dunno.  Maybe it will perk up.

I'd have to disagree.  I think it's pretty much spot on (like I would know what's like to live in the 1920s).  The only thing that might be off would be Paul Drake's role.  I think they're would have been far too much racism for him to be allowed to do the job effectively.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, peebag said:

I'd have to disagree.  I think it's pretty much spot on (like I would know what's like to live in the 1920s).  The only thing that might be off would be Paul Drake's role.  I think they're would have been far too much racism for him to be allowed to do the job effectively.

It feels like the main plotlines are anything but the case at hand, which has been underwhelming to begin with. Damned thing is all over the place. I liked season 1 more, but again, only made it through 3 eps so far.  And the case has been barely addressed considering how far in it is.

• 2 weeks later...

Leonardo Dicaprio Reaction GIF by Once Upon A Time In Hollywood

Finished the second season of Mayor Kingstown.  Kind of ended with Jeremey Renner's character talking about Kingstown.  Sounded like a "we might not be renewed for season 3" type of speech.  

The GIF, if it loads, is my reaction to circling back to The Punisher series.  2nd or 3rd episode the girl from Daredevil (CareBear?) appears in the show.  Suddenly given context to their relationship.  I literally finished Daredevil a month ago.  Lol

On 4/19/2023 at 3:02 PM, y2k8 said:

Just stumbled upon "The Last Kingdom" on Netflix. And I'm binging it like a fiend.

If you were a fan of GoT you'll like this. It's based on The Saxon Stories series of historical fiction.

So no dragons, but really, really well done. 

So I finished the series and also watched the movie "Seven Kings Must Die".

My biggest gripe about the whole thing is that they made zero attempt to age the characters. I mean, none.

Uthred would have to be in his 70s or 80s by the time Aethelstan was King. 

12 minutes ago, JiF said:

I thought Florida Man was a fun watch.

I enjoyed Beef as well.

Both solid entertaining dark humor type of watches that are easy and entertaining. 

Halfway through Beef and just can't pick it back up.  It's too average lol.  I agree about the genre though.  Was hoping for a little more.

46 minutes ago, nj meadowlands said:

Halfway through Beef and just can't pick it back up.  It's too average lol.  I agree about the genre though.  Was hoping for a little more.

Idk both shows kind of bring the same flavor, just when you think it cant get more crazy, it does and if you're not in the mood for something serious, I think they're fun watches, not knock your socks off type stuff.  I understand the slow burn feeling but the final episode of Beef is amazing, IMO.  

On 4/24/2023 at 12:43 PM, peebag said:

Season one is fine but Season two is starting to go all mystical and it's becoming more far fetched than ever.

Halfway through it but they need to get their act together for me to continue watching.

That's exactly where I am with the show. The storyline with Shauna being investigated by the cops does nothing for me.