TV Series (Opinions, Recommendations, Flaming, etc) ***BEWARE POSSIBLE SPOILERS***

7 hours ago, JetPotato said:

I tried, as I'm a fan of The Boys. 2.5 episodes and I was done.

Yeah it’s a very different type of show. Might want to just grind through it though. No spoilers but the end wasn’t really an ending and I have a feeling the story and main characters are all getting rolled into the next season of The Boys.

1 hour ago, Nolder said:

Yeah it’s a very different type of show. Might want to just grind through it though. No spoilers but the end wasn’t really an ending and I have a feeling the story and main characters are all getting rolled into the next season of The Boys.

Yeah, I could see that coming. I'm not sure. I may just give up on both. The Boys lost steam last season anyway. The problem with a show like that where it's so shocking right out of the gate is that they can't shock you any more. They can't top it and some of the scenes are just absurd now.

• Upvote 1

On 11/6/2023 at 2:21 PM, JetPotato said:

Yeah, I could see that coming. I'm not sure. I may just give up on both. The Boys lost steam last season anyway. The problem with a show like that where it's so shocking right out of the gate is that they can't shock you any more. They can't top it and some of the scenes are just absurd now.

I agree 90%, the only thing I disagree on is that I think they can up the ante longer than most people might reasonably think. Case in point The Walking Dead. I think the "shock" value can last a few more seasons, for most people anyway. But yeah I think it would be smart of them to wrap it up in a couple seasons or risk getting old and abandoned by audiences. Have one more season where Homelander is the big bad in charge and they try to take him down but fail. Then one more season where it ends with them actually taking him down and also Vought at the same time.

11 hours ago, Nolder said:

I agree 90%, the only thing I disagree on is that I think they can up the ante longer than most people might reasonably think. Case in point The Walking Dead. I think the "shock" value can last a few more seasons, for most people anyway. But yeah I think it would be smart of them to wrap it up in a couple seasons or risk getting old and abandoned by audiences. Have one more season where Homelander is the big bad in charge and they try to take him down but fail. Then one more season where it ends with them actually taking him down and also Vought at the same time.

A case study on how to alienate a comic fanbase and casual fan simultaneously.  

I believe Vince Gilligan has set the general parameters for setting a TV series lifespan.  60+ episodes over 5-6 seasons.  Both shows had solid beginnings - middles - ends.  Neither tried to squeeze an extra drop out of it.

The Walking Dead I think did this well, but over the 11 seasons a lot of it became repetitive.  Maybe if the Walking Dead followed the Gilligan model, it would have finished with a higher regard.  

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

On 11/6/2023 at 5:21 PM, JetPotato said:

I watched the first season of the Boys, kind of enjoyed it... and never bothered watching the second season because I just didn't care. 

I barely watch anything on "TV" anymore, just Games... mostly watch YouTube stuff now. Simon Whistler has about 10 channels I enjoy, and I find Brandon Herrera funny as hell. I also watch a lot of Shawn Ryan stuff. Former SEAL, has some really interesting guests on. The long form interview with Chris VanSant (Former Delta) was fascinating. 

• Sympathy 1

I enjoyed Loki Season 2.  IMHO, it was the best TV series Disney has produced in awhile. 

Spoiler

I watched a couple of comic channels on YT and it is not diverging from the current Kang storyline.  Although it could and go down the reported Docter Doom with its ending.

Spoiler

• Upvote 1

On 11/14/2023 at 10:20 AM, PFSIKH said:

I enjoyed Loki Season 2.  IMHO, it was the best TV series Disney has produced in awhile. 

Reveal hidden contents

I watched a couple of comic channels on YT and it is not diverging from the current Kang storyline.  Although it could and go down the reported Docter Doom with its ending.

Reveal hidden contents

Loki has such a great arc. I loved this season for how that materialized. The ending was epic. Hoping the MCU can be salvaged again. That's a good start. Then again, I haven't seen The Marvels yet. I'm cringing over the little I've heard.

12 minutes ago, JetPotato said:

Loki has such a great arc. I loved this season for how that materialized. The ending was epic. Hoping the MCU can be salvaged again. That's a good start. Then again, I haven't seen The Marvels yet. I'm cringing over the little I've heard.

I was going to see it, but saw a couple of reviews. 

Each reviewer said there was good parts to the movie.  The they would qualify that with there were parts that did not work.  It sounded like if the MCU is to rebound it will be after this movie.  

I will wait until it hits Disney+.  

• Upvote 1

I watched the first season of Narcos and Foundation. I didn’t love them but they weren’t bad either. Very 5/10. I’ve heard the second season of Foundation is better than season one so I’ll report back whether I think that’s true or not whenever I get around to watching it.

• 2 weeks later...

Finished Joe Picket Season 2.  I would give it 3 out of 5 stars.  My main knock is there were three plot points (two could be rolled into one) that were left hanging.  Not like Walking Dead when Negan appeared and we had six months to speculate who got capped.  One main plot driving point early in the season disappeared.  The other, part of the main antagonist group, should have been the main go away moment or at least allude to it.

Started to watch the latest season of Fargo.  This season seems to be of a similar vein of the past seasons.  A multi layered story.  Good so far.

Has anyone seen Billions?

Im on season 3 and something isn’t making sense to me.

Spoiler

When and why did Axe and Lara get a divorce? I remember their relationship being on the rocks but I seem to have missed the part where they actually divorced. Did it happen off screen between seasons or did I fall asleep and miss an episode or what?

Reacher Season 2 is pretty good. Granted, the scenes of his Unit (The 110th Military Police Detachment) make a former soldier groan and wonder if they even have a Military Consultant on set, but its a pretty good story so far and the supporting characters are all good. A lot of the story actually takes place in NYC and Atlantic City instead of small-town South like the first Season... enjoying it so far. Read the Reacher Books years ago, and forgot the details of this one... but they make mention of the story in the Tom Cruise movie (One Shot) as an aside. Not a bad watch at all. 

And if you're a Reacher fan from the books, Ritchson is pretty spot on for the character. Dude is yuge. I actually liked the Tom Cruise movies, I just pretend he's playing a character that ISN'T the 6'5 250lb JACK REACHER. lol

• Upvote 4

Obliterated on Netflix was alright. Kind of like if Seth Rogan took the concept of the A Team and made a show. Lots of drugs, sex, crazy hijinks, etc. There was definitely some funny parts like when one character is hallucinating a gremlin when he’s supposed to be covering the team with sniper support lol. But yeah stuff like that. I think it went 2-3 episodes too long and it’s only 8 episodes if that gives you any idea how quick it gets old.

Next up Reacher season 2!

• Upvote 1

On 12/9/2023 at 9:48 PM, JetsfaninNorthHollywood said:

Our friends in Australia had a great one, well the first 3 seasons, anyways, Underbelly. Crime drama showing Australia in a different light, based on actual events. There have been additions to the series, but I only caught the first 3 on ION tv. Great acting

Amazon.com: Underbelly Season One - War on the Streets : Tony Tilse, Geoff  Bennett, Peter Andrikidis, Grant Brown, Greg Haddrick, Brenda Pam: Movies &  TV

Underbelly Season 2 - watch full episodes streaming online

Amazon.com: Underbelly Series 3 - The Golden Mile [DVD] : Movies & TV

ROFLMAO. 

The actor in the 2nd picture (with the gun) I recognize as the star of our monthly "cyber-security awareness videos" that our IT team at work sends out as required viewing. It poses as a drama with 3-4 minute long episodes that are made to teach you about the pitfalls of phishing emails and other cyber risks. 

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, JetPotato said:

ROFLMAO. 

The actor in the 2nd picture (with the gun) I recognize as the star of our monthly "cyber-security awareness videos" that our IT team at work sends out as required viewing. It poses as a drama with 3-4 minute long episodes that are made to teach you about the pitfalls of phishing emails and other cyber risks. 

Is that the one you have to take a million mini quizzes in? 😆 I kept ignoring them until the Chief called me directly and "reminded" me that I had to do them... 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, JetsfaninNorthHollywood said:

Guess his roles dried up after the show ended...but Underbelly was great viewing.

It's goofy. He plays this quiet IT guy who gets hired at a security expert at a big company... only he's a corporate spy. But suddenly he begins to bond with his colleagues (they made him cupcakes on his birthday) and now he's having 2nd thoughts about destroying their company. I'll keep everyone posted as the story unfolds. 🤣

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, JetPotato said:

It's goofy. He plays this quiet IT guy who gets hired at a security expert at a big company... only he's a corporate spy. But suddenly he begins to bond with his colleagues (they made him cupcakes on his birthday) and now he's having 2nd thoughts about destroying their company. I'll keep everyone posted as the story unfolds. 🤣

Wow sounds like one of those feel good movie of the week plots. 

Our sexual harassment videos that we have are priceless.They asked my boss (at the time) if she wanted to be in it as the antagonist, Rose declined lol

And our IT videos sound eerily familiar with the pop quizzes. It's very campy has like a star wars wannabe robot giving us a tour in the company data center. The bad guy is wearing what looks like one of those green man suits except its all black and looks very S & M style to me.

And don't bust my balls about the S & M reference....we're Jets fans we know about it.

• Haha 1

On 12/15/2023 at 10:46 AM, Jet_Engine1 said:

Reacher Season 2 is pretty good. Granted, the scenes of his Unit (The 110th Military Police Detachment) make a former soldier groan and wonder if they even have a Military Consultant on set, but its a pretty good story so far and the supporting characters are all good. A lot of the story actually takes place in NYC and Atlantic City instead of small-town South like the first Season... enjoying it so far. Read the Reacher Books years ago, and forgot the details of this one... but they make mention of the story in the Tom Cruise movie (One Shot) as an aside. Not a bad watch at all. 

And if you're a Reacher fan from the books, Ritchson is pretty spot on for the character. Dude is yuge. I actually liked the Tom Cruise movies, I just pretend he's playing a character that ISN'T the 6'5 250lb JACK REACHER. lol

Ritchson was born to play the Reacher role.  He is perfect for it.  Cruise neither fit the role physically nor personality.  Reacher is an overly literal different kind of character.  

The 1st Reacher season was great.  We watched the 1st episode of season 2 and wife and I are rewatching the first season before continuing w/season 2.  It has been a pretty long time and we forgot a lot of the nuance in the Season 1.  

• Upvote 1

On 12/15/2023 at 9:46 AM, Jet_Engine1 said:

Yeah, the author said he very much wanted a hero who is this giant, bad a$$ guy, which is not Tom Cruise.

This is Reacher

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, chirorob said:

Yeah, the author said he very much wanted a hero who is this giant, bad a$$ guy, which is not Tom Cruise.

This is Reacher

There is so much more to Reacher than his awesome fight scenes.  But they are indeed very, very satisfying. 

For those who haven't read the books or seen season 1:  Watch Season 1 before you watch Season 2.  You will get a dose of Reacher's childhood and how he came to be.  

Great show.

• Upvote 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/15/2023 at 9:46 AM, Jet_Engine1 said:

I agree on all your points.  I liked the Cruise version and Ritchson is doing a great job.  The funny thing about a military consultant, I know of at least one.  A guy from my last unit ETS'd and went to the USC Film school.  He has worked on a few shows you would recognize.

On 12/20/2023 at 10:37 AM, SAM SAM HE'S OUR MAN said:

The new FARGO is great . Still quirky as ever .

Another great season of the show.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, PFSIKH said:

I agree on all your points.  I liked the Cruise version and Ritchson is doing a great job.  The funny thing about a military consultant, I know of at least one.  A guy from my last unit ETS'd and went to the USC Film school.  He has worked on a few shows you would recognize.

Another great season of the show.

Another point about Reacher worth mentioning...

serinda-swan.jpg.f4664cf13d7348a084cdbb1fe8f22cca.jpg

• Upvote 1

Half way through Reacher season 2.  We re-watched season 1 since we had forgotten a lot of the nuance.  Really enjoying it.  

In addition to the storyline and actors, I get a kick out of the script.  I can swear that the writers are my age and grew up where I did in Queens...  Some of the humor, the music and many of the lines just scream familiarity.  I.e.  the mention of the Jade East motel near the Van Wyck Expwy took me back decades.  The sarcasm and sideplots are solid.

• Upvote 2