TV Series (Opinions, Recommendations, Flaming, etc) ***BEWARE POSSIBLE SPOILERS***

Caught up with season 2, guess it’s not all out yet. Honey I think season 2 might be even better than the first season. Just a really good solid enjoyable show. You don’t get that much anymore. Favorite new character has to be O’Donnell his one liners are great. Great acting all around.

On 12/15/2023 at 10:46 AM, Jet_Engine1 said:

Reacher Season 2 is pretty good. Granted, the scenes of his Unit (The 110th Military Police Detachment) make a former soldier groan and wonder if they even have a Military Consultant on set, but its a pretty good story so far and the supporting characters are all good. A lot of the story actually takes place in NYC and Atlantic City instead of small-town South like the first Season... enjoying it so far. Read the Reacher Books years ago, and forgot the details of this one... but they make mention of the story in the Tom Cruise movie (One Shot) as an aside. Not a bad watch at all. 

And if you're a Reacher fan from the books, Ritchson is pretty spot on for the character. Dude is yuge. I actually liked the Tom Cruise movies, I just pretend he's playing a character that ISN'T the 6'5 250lb JACK REACHER. lol

I made it a point to read all of the Reacher books a read them all except the latest one ( some even twice).  I have to admit the action is pretty good and who doesn’t want to see some of these guys get what’s coming to them but they’re all pretty much the same.  Sometimes Child brings in some good recurring characters like Neagley.

As for the series, it’s very good too. Pretty much follows the book it’s based on. Ritchson is better in the role than cruise.

• Upvote 1

Just started watching Severance on Apple.   Really good, we are 3 episodes in, and I can't wait to see how this goes.   My 20 year old son also loves it so far.  

It's amazing what a good cast and story can do, this is the opposite of a high budget show.   It has great set design, but no real special effects of any kind.

• Upvote 1

On 1/13/2024 at 8:55 AM, chirorob said:

Just started watching Severance on Apple.   Really good, we are 3 episodes in, and I can't wait to see how this goes.   My 20 year old son also loves it so far.  

It's amazing what a good cast and story can do, this is the opposite of a high budget show.   It has great set design, but no real special effects of any kind.

Yeah Severance was really cool, can't wait for a season 2.

IMO Apple has been putting out a lot of great shows and the times they've fallen short were at least decent attempts.

16 hours ago, JustInFudge said:

Late to the game and not saying anything that hasnt been said but The Bear is fantastic. 

The Christmas episode was top notch.  I felt sick the entire time watching it but it was ******* brilliant. 

I think the real trick to The Bear is making all of the characters really likeable. 

The drama wouldn't be half as interesting if they were just 1 dimensional assholes with no other defining character traits.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Nolder said:

I think the real trick to The Bear is making all of the characters really likeable. 

The drama wouldn't be half as interesting if they were just 1 dimensional assholes with no other defining character traits.

100%.  My wife and watched the show at different times and she asked me who my favorite character was and that was such a hard question because the character development has been outstanding...but I love me some Tina, everyone needs a person w/ her energy in their life. 

21 hours ago, JustInFudge said:

Late to the game and not saying anything that hasnt been said but The Bear is fantastic. 

The Christmas episode was top notch.  I felt sick the entire time watching it but it was ******* brilliant. 

Better late than never.  Season 1 was very good and then season 2 blew every other show out of the water.  I hope they have many more retro scenes.  Need much more Jon Bernthal and I hope JLC wants to play the role in a few episodes.  Love it.

And congrats to Jeremy Allen White for winning the Golden Globes!  He's a Jets fan you know.

29 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Better late than never.  Season 1 was very good and then season 2 blew every other show out of the water.  I hope they have many more retro scenes.  Need much more Jon Bernthal and I hope JLC wants to play the role in a few episodes.  Love it.

And congrats to Jeremy Allen White for winning the Golden Globes!  He's a Jets fan you know.

Agreed.  I think what I appreciate the most about the show is how, what IMO, are the biggest moments are delivered in the most subtle way, when you're not expecting it, like in the middle of what seems like just a simple conversation, you're smacked in the face and then they do a great job w/ lead ups, to being actually not all the big of a deal.  It's brilliant.  

Oh, the soundtrack is ******* awesome too. 

• Upvote 1

On 1/9/2024 at 6:04 PM, rangerous said:

I made it a point to read all of the Reacher books a read them all except the latest one ( some even twice).  I have to admit the action is pretty good and who doesn’t want to see some of these guys get what’s coming to them but they’re all pretty much the same.  Sometimes Child brings in some good recurring characters like Neagley.

As for the series, it’s very good too. Pretty much follows the book it’s based on. Ritchson is better in the role than cruise.

So far I think I like the first season better.  I get that the guy is huge and borderline invincible, but when, by himself, he takes out an entire team of trained assassins in episode one or biker gang in episode two, it becomes a little anti-climactic.  You know he is going to win the fight, but there is never anything to worry about.  I'd like to see him at least lose a finger like the guy in the Patriot.

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

So far I think I like the first season better.  I get that the guy is huge and borderline invincible, but when, by himself, he takes out an entire team of trained assassins in episode one or biker gang in episode two, it becomes a little anti-climactic.  You know he is going to win the fight, but there is never anything to worry about.  I'd like to see him at least lose a finger like the buy in the Patriot.

Yep, it’s still fun to see something in black and white.  The books are pretty much the same although the newer ones, co written with his son are moving into the cyber age more.  Hard to see how that will play out considering reacher should be near sixty.  Of course every four to five books could be his adventures for a single year so he’s really only pushing 40 or so.

i didn’t mind the reacher movies with cruise.  He’s more than a little small for the role but his acting has come a long way from risky business so he pulls it off pretty well. Plus if there’s one real complaint about Ritchson is that he’s really muscle bound and walks pretty stiffly.  Otherwise I think his acting has evolved in a positive direction since early in season one.

1 hour ago, rangerous said:

Yep, it’s still fun to see something in black and white.  The books are pretty much the same although the newer ones, co written with his son are moving into the cyber age more.  Hard to see how that will play out considering reacher should be near sixty.  Of course every four to five books could be his adventures for a single year so he’s really only pushing 40 or so.

i didn’t mind the reacher movies with cruise.  He’s more than a little small for the role but his acting has come a long way from risky business so he pulls it off pretty well. Plus if there’s one real complaint about Ritchson is that he’s really muscle bound and walks pretty stiffly.  Otherwise I think his acting has evolved in a positive direction since early in season one.

Both versions of Reacher are retired military.  They are starting in their 40s.

I would agree with you and Dom.  Ritchson needs to follow TB12 and work on his pliability.  😆  I think Ritchson is doing a job.  Maybe a little over acting.

3 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

So far I think I like the first season better.  I get that the guy is huge and borderline invincible, but when, by himself, he takes out an entire team of trained assassins in episode one or biker gang in episode two, it becomes a little anti-climactic.  You know he is going to win the fight, but there is never anything to worry about.  I'd like to see him at least lose a finger like the guy in the Patriot.

Or the Punisher that was often bloodied.

Finished the watching Fargo and Reacher.

I think both seasons were good.  I like the quirky nature of Fargo, the finale was okay.   90% anti climatic after the first 10 minutes.  

The Reacher season finale was ok.  Again, the season was good.  The pristine nature of the fighting this season was a little blah.  I think Reacher as a one-man force of nature comes off better than as a group.

On 1/9/2024 at 5:15 PM, rangerous said:

One series I forgot to mention is Rake.  It’s Australian about a lawyer who get into all sorts of predicaments.

This series is criminally underrated.  It is so freakin' good.

If you haven't seen it you should.

• Post of the Week 1

On 1/21/2024 at 4:58 PM, LionelRichie said:

Not sure if it’s been mentioned but Rabbit Hole with kiefer Sutherland was pretty good.  It’s on paramount, kind of a conspiracy thriller type show but pretty well done and entertaining. 

I liked it until the ending. It was really cheesy and blew the whole thing imho. 

I have enjoyed True Detective so far.  I watched an episode breakdown of the last episode from the You Tube channel Screen Crush.  I was "wait...what?".  In addition to the symbolism, I am missing.  Apparently, Russ Cole from the first season's son is in this season.    The reviewer even linked it to season 2 (?) with Mahershala Ali.

I have enjoyed True Detective so far.  I watched an episode breakdown of the last episode from the You Tube channel Screen Crush.  I was "wait...what?".  In addition to the symbolism, I am missing.  Apparently, Russ Cole from the first season's son is in this season.    The reviewer even linked it to season 2 (?) with Mahershala Ali.

Rust Cohle's father, not son. I didn't catch any reference to the Mahershala Ali season (which was 3). The was a tiny link to season one in season 3 (an online headline about Cohle and Hart capturing season 1's killer.)

Speaking of Golden Globes…..MAD MEN!!!

I’d never watched until Head Office got me into it just before Christmas and my god, totally hooked….almost finished series 6 already.

just a masterpiece in every way….I totally get what all the fuss was about.

Has a character ever had greater pithy lines than Roger Sterling?………and of course, Christina Hendricks, is she actually real or just an early version of an AI avatar?….that figure is extraordinary 

also for those prepared to go down the foreign language route but appreciate gritty and authentic …Gomorrah

absolutely brilliant portrayal of the Neapolitan mafia based upon the real life work of the Italian journalist Roberto Saviano who wrote about the Comorra way back in the 1990’s and has been in hiding ever since. The Sopranos but for real 

16 hours ago, bicketybam said:

Rust Cohle's father, not son. I didn't catch any reference to the Mahershala Ali season (which was 3). The was a tiny link to season one in season 3 (an online headline about Cohle and Hart capturing season 1's killer.)

Ok.  I had to misunderstood.  I was thinking the kid in the show was it.  I have an idea who now.

Screen Crush is drawing the similarities with multiple one-eyed references and the symbol has been seen across multiple seasons.

On 1/9/2024 at 6:15 PM, rangerous said:

One series I forgot to mention is Rake.  It’s Australian about a lawyer who get into all sorts of predicaments.

Was an American remake with Greg Kinnear my friend wrote for. Not his  best. 

"Griselda" ; "Narcos" plus Sophia Vegara uglied up(which is hard to do; she is way hotter than the real thing) ; pretty entertaining. Violent as hell.

"Master of the Air"; OK. 3 episodes in. Kinda the "Band of Brothers" team working their formula in another WW2 unit. Like things that get copied ("The Pacific" being the 2nd copy this is #3) tent to be less clear. Airmen screaming about "KILLING NAZIS!" gets a bit redundant. It isn't a substitute for character you might care about.  

On 2/2/2024 at 4:20 AM, redlichtie said:

Speaking of Golden Globes…..MAD MEN!!!

I’d never watched until Head Office got me into it just before Christmas and my god, totally hooked….almost finished series 6 already.

just a masterpiece in every way….I totally get what all the fuss was about.

Has a character ever had greater pithy lines than Roger Sterling?………and of course, Christina Hendricks, is she actually real or just an early version of an AI avatar?….that figure is extraordinary 

also for those prepared to go down the foreign language route but appreciate gritty and authentic …Gomorrah

absolutely brilliant portrayal of the Neapolitan mafia based upon the real life work of the Italian journalist Roberto Saviano who wrote about the Comorra way back in the 1990’s and has been in hiding ever since. The Sopranos but for real 

"Gommorra" got lost in the shuffle because it was part of Miramax/Weinstein  . Saw the first 2 seasons. Crazy violent. 

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Was an American remake with Greg Kinnear my friend wrote for. Not his  best. 

"Griselda" ; "Narcos" plus Sophia Vegara uglied up(which is hard to do; she is way hotter than the real thing) ; pretty entertaining. Violent as hell.

"Master of the Air"; OK. 3 episodes in. Kinda the "Band of Brothers" team working their formula in another WW2 unit. Like things that get copied ("The Pacific" being the 2nd copy this is #3) tent to be less clear. Airmen screaming about "KILLING NAZIS!" gets a bit redundant. It isn't a substitute for character you might care about.  

I haven’t watched the American remake of rake.  Kinnear has done some good shows.  I watched Griselda.  Pretty frightening but she pretty much followed the Tony montano way to lose everything.  Narcos, both in Columbia and Mexico were excellent.

i haven’t watched masters of the air but probably will.  I’ve read quite a bit about WW2 air warfare and it wasn’t pretty for bomber pilots.  Lots of men died.  And even to vaunted B29 was subjected to pretty high losses over Japan. (Fun fact. TheB29 cost more than the A bomb to develop).  Interesting too is most of these movies focus on the B17 when the B24 was used in greater numbers and was a better aircraft.  I guess it’s because Boeing is still around and Consolidated morphed into something else.

I think what people today don’t realize is there was real hatred of the Japanese and Germans during the war.  Our soldiers were not very nice to them.

On 2/7/2024 at 10:08 AM, #27TheDominator said:

Miramax?  Isn't that an Italian show?  Is this a US version or is it the import?  I think it came around when I left in 2011.

Was distributed by Miramax/Weinstein company in the US. When they went out of business got lost in the shuffle a bit. 

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, rangerous said:

I haven’t watched the American remake of rake.  Kinnear has done some good shows.  I watched Griselda.  Pretty frightening but she pretty much followed the Tony montano way to lose everything.  Narcos, both in Columbia and Mexico were excellent.

i haven’t watched masters of the air but probably will.  I’ve read quite a bit about WW2 air warfare and it wasn’t pretty for bomber pilots.  Lots of men died.  And even to vaunted B29 was subjected to pretty high losses over Japan. (Fun fact. TheB29 cost more than the A bomb to develop).  Interesting too is most of these movies focus on the B17 when the B24 was used in greater numbers and was a better aircraft.  I guess it’s because Boeing is still around and Consolidated morphed into something else.

I think what people today don’t realize is there was real hatred of the Japanese and Germans during the war.  Our soldiers were not very nice to them.

At least well into 1944, the airmen in the European theater, at least American/British and German, had some mutual respect when they were captured. Germans treated all Soviet prisoners like total sheet and vice versa. Came to an end once the US started firebombing civilian targets like Koln and Dresden.  General Curtis LeMay is mentioned. LeMay was quoted that had the Allies lost the war, he would have been tried as a war criminal for those bombings. 

1 hour ago, Bugg said:

At least well into 1944, the airmen in the European theater, at least American/British and German, had some mutual respect when they were captured. Germans treated all Soviet prisoners like total sheet and vice versa. Came to an end once the US started firebombing civilian targets like Koln and Dresden.  General Curtis LeMay is mentioned. LeMay was quoted that had the Allies lost the war, he would have been tried as a war criminal for those bombings. 

Yep.  Pretty much true.  I think the bombing of civilians, at least in Europe was instigated by bomber Harris.  He really wanted to give them payback for the London blitz and the V1 and V2 onslaught.  Le may played to win. Ironically he was against the a bomb saying that he had well over ten thousand bombers available to obliterate Japan so it wasn’t needed.  Interesting that the a bomb may have actually saved a huge number of Japanese lives.

• Upvote 1