GAME OF THRONES (*SPOILERS ALERT*)

Yeah, so that was freakin' awesome all around.  Every step of what happened with the dragons was nuts, right up until the very end.  You knew it was coming, but that still didn't stop it from being a bad ass moment.

Sometimes it's also just the small things that can be the best.  Jon was obviously getting saved somehow, and I had every possible idea running through my head of how, but I can freely admit I lost my sh*t when Benjen came riding in.  One of those moments where it wasn't even necessary to have it at all, but a great choice to add in there.

Sansa is a bit irritating but that's the point, although I don't get any logic behind the sending Brienne thing, other than an excuse for her to be there for something later.  Arya is nuts... and it's great.

Jon's proverbial bending of the knee was the only thing I didn't love, but that was obviously coming at some point, so what are you going to do?

In the end, I was probably most shocked to see the non-dragon survival rate in this episode.  Definitely more than a few instances of being certain someone was gone, only for them to survive.  That's also the positive spin on how they can use their past killing folks off to play everyone a bit, as it was getting to the point that it starts to lose something.  For example, absolutely no one gave the tiniest flake of sh*t when the Dorne folks got killed off, as hard as they tried to make it seem like a big deal.  Instead, you now get the more shocking moment when someone looks sure to die and actually doesn't.

• Sympathy 2

Really not much to complain about this episode. Littlefinger was setting Arya up for a fight with Brienne. If Arya tried to kill Sansa, Brienne would intervene, and most likely get killed. Sansa loses from that fight either way so she sends Brienne as a liason. At least that's how I took it. Sansa is in deep sh*te. She needs to kill Littlefinger to prove herself to Arya. And she may use that dagger.

I'm sweating for Tyrion. Nothing is going right for that guy. He's effed up so many times this season I'm worrying for his safety. He's gotta watch Varys too. I have a whacky theory where Varys ends up on the Iron Throne.

The second half of the episode was pretty wild. Too many saved-in-the-nick-of-times, but I didn't want any of those guys to bite it. The conversation between Tormund and the Hound was awesome. I rolled my eyes at the polar bear. Lame. Gendry is a phenomenal athlete. Sign that beast!

Losing a dragon is a bummer. Especially since he's fighting for the other side now. They better be as fast at making Scorpions as Euron is at making boats. Dragonglass spears anyone? Well, at least they captured that stupid wight. What a dumb plan.

Still don't buy the romance between Dany and John. I hope they don't end up as a couple. It would water down the story for me.

All in all, though, this was a solid episode. Next week should be interesting.

• Sympathy 2

I'm surprised people loved this episode so much.  There were definitely good moments, but:

The NK throws a spear a mile and kills a dragon, but doesn't throw any spears to kill 7 dudes on a rock?  The army of the dead can dig up a dragon but can't go under water to the aforementioned rock?  7 guys can kill literally thousands of these things, but Bran's wolf is previously killed by a mere 10?

I realize that in a show about Dragons you have to suspend your disbelief, but it becomes harder and harder as they go.

• Upvote 1

I guess I am in the minority here, thought last weeks episode was better.

Thought Jon deserved to die(would have been a shocker and sent ripples throughout the kingdom much like neds death in S1).  Him surviving takes away from Sansa's storyline big time. He will return to the north now and everything that has has transpired with Arya and Sansa is pretty much moot in the grand scheme of things for the north not withstanding Sansa's fate.

7 hours ago, the Claw said:

Really not much to complain about this episode. Littlefinger was setting Arya up for a fight with Brienne. If Arya tried to kill Sansa, Brienne would intervene, and most likely get killed. Sansa loses from that fight either way so she sends Brienne as a liason. At least that's how I took it. Sansa is in deep sh*te. She needs to kill Littlefinger to prove herself to Arya. And she may use that dagger.

I'm sweating for Tyrion. Nothing is going right for that guy. He's effed up so many times this season I'm worrying for his safety. He's gotta watch Varys too. I have a whacky theory where Varys ends up on the Iron Throne.

The second half of the episode was pretty wild. Too many saved-in-the-nick-of-times, but I didn't want any of those guys to bite it. The conversation between Tormund and the Hound was awesome. I rolled my eyes at the polar bear. Lame. Gendry is a phenomenal athlete. Sign that beast!

Losing a dragon is a bummer. Especially since he's fighting for the other side now. They better be as fast at making Scorpions as Euron is at making boats. Dragonglass spears anyone? Well, at least they captured that stupid wight. What a dumb plan.

Still don't buy the romance between Dany and John. I hope they don't end up as a couple. It would water down the story for me.

The first time that Zombie Dragon shows up....    They don't know it's coming, and won't have any dragon glass spears.

Every theory I make is wrong.   My new one is her other 2 dragons die fighting the zombie one, and it's only stopped when they kill the Night King.

12 minutes ago, gEYno said:

I'm surprised people loved this episode so much.  There were definitely good moments, but:

The NK throws a spear a mile and kills a dragon, but doesn't throw any spears to kill 7 dudes on a rock?  The army of the dead can dig up a dragon but can't go under water to the aforementioned rock?  7 guys can kill literally thousands of these things, but Bran's wolf is previously killed by a mere 10?

I realize that in a show about Dragons you have to suspend your disbelief, but it becomes harder and harder as they go.

They killed some, but a lot of what they knocked down was just getting back  up.   I think the Night King was just content to watch them freeze to death.  He doesn't seem in any great rush, the longer he waits, the colder it gets.   The zombies they sent down into the lake I think stayed there.   They attached the chains, and others pulled them up.

Now, where they got the chains from??   No idea.

8 hours ago, the Claw said:

Agree on on the Tormund/ Hound.    I love the Hound, he is just awesome.   Plus, how they were messing with Gendry.  "Sex is best.   We'll just have to make due...."

The Hound is getting on Gendry.  "Your Mouth is open, and your complaining"

7 hours ago, the Claw said:

Yeah, that is a fair point and the only thing I thought of as a reasoning, the general idea that Sansa was deliberately doing it to not listen to Littlefinger, but that doesn't really go along with the rest of she was doing throughout the episode, which is why it felt like more a matter of giving the benefit of the doubt than that really being a reason.  Whatever, wasn't a big deal, but was the only moment I just didn't really get.  I'm pretty sure they just want Brienne in King's Landing next week and that's all there is to it.  Other possibility is if that invite was just a load of BS.

3 hours ago, gEYno said:

And what's up with Clark Kent's glasses? What, you're telling me that he gets rid of that hair swoop and puts on some glasses and NOBODY can tell it's him?

And then the Death Star exploding in a ring, that's not even how stuff would explode in space.

Clownfish can't speak.

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, chirorob said:

They killed some, but a lot of what they knocked down was just getting back  up.   I think the Night King was just content to watch them freeze to death.  He doesn't seem in any great rush, the longer he waits, the colder it gets.   The zombies they sent down into the lake I think stayed there.   They attached the chains, and others pulled them up.

Now, where they got the chains from??   No idea.

I think it has been pretty clear since his introduction that he has a fascination with Jon. Probably due to some sort of relation. Makes complete sense that he'd just sit there and observe him.

5 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

And what's up with Clark Kent's glasses? What, you're telling me that he gets rid of that hair swoop and puts on some glasses and NOBODY can tell it's him?

And then the Death Star exploding in a ring, that's not even how stuff would explode in space.

Clownfish can't speak.

How do you know Clownfish can't speak?  Have you ever bothered to listen?

The point is that the reality of Westeros continues to get more and more difficult to believe.  We can all suspend our disbelief, but once the reality of the world is set, pushing those limits becomes annoying.  I have the same problem with Walking Dead.  

2 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I think it has been pretty clear since his introduction that he has a fascination with Jon. Probably due to some sort of relation. Makes complete sense that he'd just sit there and observe him.

https://www.bustle.com/p/is-bran-the-night-king-on-game-of-thrones-this-season-7-theory-could-change-the-entire-series-69984

• Sympathy 1

Just now, RutgersJetFan said:

Read that sentence aloud to yourself.

I have no problem with it.  The show sets the expectations at the onset.  We accept them as the reality of the world the author (and/or writers) create.  But, then you mess with that, and it's much more difficult to swallow.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

6 minutes ago, gEYno said:

I have no problem with it.  The show sets the expectations at the onset.  We accept them as the reality of the world the author (and/or writers) create.  But, then you mess with that, and it's much more difficult to swallow.

There are probably at least 100 different hypothetical answers to every question you posed. All would make complete sense. Maybe they have a reconnaissance team of scuba zombies. Maybe the Night King was hoping they'd all start blowing each other to keep warm so he could watch. Who the **** knows. It isn't real.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Bleedin Green said:

Yeah, so that was freakin' awesome all around.  Every step of what happened with the dragons was nuts, right up until the very end.  You knew it was coming, but that still didn't stop it from being a bad ass moment.

Sometimes it's also just the small things that can be the best.  Jon was obviously getting saved somehow, and I had every possible idea running through my head of how, but I can freely admit I lost my sh*t when Benjen came riding in.  One of those moments where it wasn't even necessary to have it at all, but a great choice to add in there.

Sansa is a bit irritating but that's the point, although I don't get any logic behind the sending Brienne thing, other than an excuse for her to be there for something later.  Arya is nuts... and it's great.

Jon's proverbial bending of the knee was the only thing I didn't love, but that was obviously coming at some point, so what are you going to do?

In the end, I was probably most shocked to see the non-dragon survival rate in this episode.  Definitely more than a few instances of being certain someone was gone, only for them to survive.  That's also the positive spin on how they can use their past killing folks off to play everyone a bit, as it was getting to the point that it starts to lose something.  For example, absolutely no one gave the tiniest flake of sh*t when the Dorne folks got killed off, as hard as they tried to make it seem like a big deal.  Instead, you now get the more shocking moment when someone looks sure to die and actually doesn't.

Bold = Benjen. Same. I literally got up off the couch and was like "uncle benjen! uncle benjen!!" and my wife was so confused, but then it happened... they wrote it, how I would have. Jon has been the only one that worried about what happened to him. It just made sense that if they were going to get Jon out of an impossible situation, it be Benjen cameo that does it.

I liked Jon's show of gratitude and humility. His conversation with the ginger wildling about how many died because of Mance Raider's pride was important. So was seeing Dany on the back of the dragon coming to save them HERSELF. I think it changed how Jon sees here, obviously.

I think the most shocking moment of the show last night was when the Hound froze in shock at the zombie bear. 2nd most shocking was how stupid the Hound was for provoking the zombies across the ice. Both moments were out-of character for him. One because he's always been "nothing surprises me" and the other because he's always be very matter-of-fact and pragmatic, sort of battle-worn to the point where being an emo bitch is beneath him... but throwing rocks out of frustration was an emo bitch thing to do.

The point you're making about how the audience is so used to characters dying it can be used against them: the ginger wildling is a personal favorite of mine, and I thought he was done. Then he wasn't. 

https://www.buzzfeed.com/andyneuenschwander/x-thoughts-i-had-during-this-weeks-game-of?utm_term=.fb06MEMNZ#.sjyLGQGpb

Here's Everything You Probably Screamed At The TV During "Game Of Thrones" This Week

Everything is bad.

Posted on 
Andy Golder
Andy Golder
BuzzFeed Staff

1. I know we have lots of stuff to worry about, but you know what's been bothering me?

2. There's no Targaryen banner on the little model of Dragonstone in the opening credits.

3. Like, c'mon, it took Dany years to get back here.

4. I do like seeing Joe Dempsie's name in the credits though. WELCOME BACK, GENDRY.

5. "Winterfell is the South." Hahaha Tormund is every Northerner who thinks that, like, Missouri is the South.

6. I like that we're just getting Tormund and Jon bro talk during this little hike.

7. "This one's been killed six times — you don't hear him bitching about it." He has a point.

8. More like Brotherhood Without Manners, amirite???

9. There is a lot of complicated sh*t going on here. "Your father wanted to execute me, you know." Awkward.

sub-buzz-8145-1503278688-1.jpg?downsize=

HBO

10. Aww, this Arya story about Ned.

11. Arya, you're smarter than this.

12. Arya DO NOT bring Lyanna Mormont into this!

13. I CANNOT WITH THIS CONVERSATION BETWEEN TORMUND AND THE HOUND.

14. Please, neither of you can die, we need a Tormund–Hound spinoff show.

15. It'll be called Ginger & The Hound and it'll be about them having to split a studio apartment in New York.

sub-buzz-8606-1503278670-1.jpg?downsize=

HBO

16. Even Tyrion ships Dany and Jon.

17. "He's too little for me." Wow Dany, way harsh.

18. I don't like it when they fight ?

19. Oh god now there are ******* wight BEARS?

20. Well, the redshirts are dead.

21. Dammit, it's so cool when they light up those swords.

22. Holy sh*t, Thoros is a badass.

23. Dude got mauled by a zombie bear and he's just like, "Cauterize that sh*t and let's roll."

24. Sansa, you've learned not to listen to Littlefinger, come on now.

25. I CAN'T WITH THIS STORYLINE.

26. Well that explains why it's taking so long for the army of the dead to get to Eastwatch. They walk SO slowly.

27. Convenient that this one wight didn't collapse into ash.

28. Wait, does that mean he belongs to another White Walker?

29. Oh shiiiiiit.

30. Now a frozen lake?!

31. This is not good for my blood pressure.

32. Oh god oh god oh god.

33. Jesus, it's like when Glenn got stuck on that dumpster on Walking Dead.

sub-buzz-29161-1503278652-10.jpg?downsiz

HBO

34. RUN BETTER, GENDRY.

35. Aww, Davos going to get his baby.

36. Poor Thoros. He died as he lived: as a drunken badass.

37. OK, so Dany is gonna show up with Drogon, right?

38. Oh sh*t, they're gonna go straight for the Night King.

39. Little bit of a parallel to Jaime charging at Dany, there. In short, it's a bad idea.

40. Don't charge the opposing general when there is a dragon and/or giant army of zombies between you.

41. YES DANY'S FLYING OUT!!!!

42. I really thought maybe Tyrion was gonna get on a dragon for a second there.

43. Too early.

sub-buzz-7742-1503278633-1.jpg?downsize=

HBO

44. Way to ruin EVERYTHING with rocks, Sandor.

45. Another redshirt bites the dust.

46. FALL BACK WHERE, JON????

47. NO NOT TORMUND.

48. NOT ******* TORMUND.

49. Oh thank god.

50. We can't lose another.

51. **** YES DANY.

52. I don't care if it's plot armor or a deus ex machina, THANK GOD for this show's warped sense of travel time.

53. I don't like what's happening with the ice spear here.

54. You keep that thing away from the dragons.

55. No.

56. NO.

57. Oh my ******* god.

58. NOT JON TOO.

59. TOO MANY FAVES DISAPPEARING INTO WATER.

60. OK but he's gonna ride the remaining dragon out of there, right?

61. Rhaegal is coming back for him, right?

62. Right?

63. OH THANK GOD.

64. He must be freezing his ass off, but he's alive.

65. UNCLE BENJEN!!!!!

66. Dammit, Starks are such badasses.

67. Holy sh*t, Arya, chill a little.

68. Poor Sansa, two out of her three siblings are sociopaths.

69. OH MY GOD JON CALLED HER DANY.

70. OH MY GOD THEY'RE HOLDING HANDS.

71. Oh no.

72. Oh god they're pulling out the dragon.

73. OH ****.

sub-buzz-31290-1503281024-1.jpg?downsize

HBO

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, RutgersJetFan said:

There are probably at least 100 different hypothetical answers to every question you posed. All would make complete sense. Maybe they have a reconnaissance team of scuba zombies. Maybe the Night King was hoping they'd all start blowing each other to keep warm so he could watch. Who the **** knows. It isn't real.

you are on a roll today buddy!!!

On 8/14/2017 at 10:47 AM, Jet_Engine1 said:

Oberyn Martells sister. 

The one Gregor raped, murdered, and killed her children.

Elia Martell.

When Gilly was reading through that old transcript she referenced a Price 'Ragger' (Rhaegar) that had an annulment performed right before another marriage, which was to Lyanna Stark.

That would make Jon legitimate, and true heir to the throne. 

2 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

Bold = Benjen. Same. I literally got up off the couch and was like "uncle benjen! uncle benjen!!" and my wife was so confused, but then it happened... they wrote it, how I would have. Jon has been the only one that worried about what happened to him. It just made sense that if they were going to get Jon out of an impossible situation, it be Benjen cameo that does it.

I liked Jon's show of gratitude and humility. His conversation with the ginger wildling about how many died because of Mance Raider's pride was important. So was seeing Dany on the back of the dragon coming to save them HERSELF. I think it changed how Jon sees here, obviously.

I think the most shocking moment of the show last night was when the Hound froze in shock at the zombie bear. 2nd most shocking was how stupid the Hound was for provoking the zombies across the ice. Both moments were out-of character for him. One because he's always been "nothing surprises me" and the other because he's always be very matter-of-fact and pragmatic, sort of battle-worn to the point where being an emo bitch is beneath him... but throwing rocks out of frustration was an emo bitch thing to do.

The point you're making about how the audience is so used to characters dying it can be used against them: the ginger wildling is a personal favorite of mine, and I thought he was done. Then he wasn't. 

Yeah, the Benjen thing really was awesome for something they spent just a few moments on.  For as critical as I was of the early episodes this season, there are also those moments where the little things can be very well done, especially considering no one would have really thought twice if Jon had went running and jumping onto the dragon as it took off, and that was it.

Fair point about Jon, and like I had said, you knew it was happening eventually, but it just kind of seemed like "oh yeah, we're cool now" to me, but it's not that big of a deal to me.  But you're right, what had just happened did obviously play into that.  Probably different to see it from the view of Jon, when we all knew the second Gendry went sprinting that we'd be seeing Dany riding in to save the day.

Agree about the Hound, the only thing I could possibly think at the time about the the zombie bear is maybe it was his fear of fire getting to him?  That was my only guess, as Beric and Thoros were using flaming swords, and seemed at least a bit more in line with his past stuff.  The rocks thing was pretty lame, but it seems they were just going for a quick laugh there before battle started back up.

Yeah, Tormund was definitely the first one that came to mind when I said about the expected deaths.  They had a few "close calls" last night, but he was the one that they successfully convinced me he was a goner and got a much stronger reaction from me with his survival than any of the various deaths have for a while now.  I almost had to laugh that there were at least two different instances of people randomly shown being killed that you found yourself asking "who the hell was that?"  Gotta have someone die, I guess.

7 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

Agree about the Hound, the only thing I could possibly think at the time about the the zombie bear is maybe it was his fear of fire getting to him?  That was my only guess, as Beric and Thoros were using flaming swords, and seemed at least a bit more in line with his past stuff.  The rocks thing was pretty lame, but it seems they were just going for a quick laugh there before battle started back up.

Without question PTSD. Arya once called him out for being scared of Beric's sword. "Like a little girl" is how I believe she put it.

• Upvote 1

This is so insane. That was so intense. I really have no clue where this is going now but wow is it setting up well,  

I too got giddy when Benjen came on to the screen.

I was a little sad like when the dog dies type of way when the dragon went down but I don't know why they didn't attack the night kings when they were all just standing there very obviously away from the fight but I digress.

Sansa acts like she sees through Littlefinger but is playing right into him.  She's annoying me.  I want Arya to out smart this and kill him so bad but I've got these weird feeling he pulls something craz off. 

Still annoyed Bran isn't playing a bigger part.

Ravens and dragons travel very fast, apparently.  

The lord of the light stuff is confusing.

I hate how they are treating Tyrion but it's brilliant how they made you love him again with his witty sacrasim and now he's just a screw up.

On 8/21/2017 at 9:57 AM, gEYno said:

I'm pretty sure the NK has greensearer abilities like Bran and I believe he knew that Dany was coming to save them with the dragons.  So he needed to wait for them to arrive before he did anything.  Maybe i'm looking into it too much.

I just watched the episode and I had some issues with it. Thrones does a lot of mirroring, and it's what we got here with the dragon wiping out a bunch of chaff and a major character going into the water as in a baptism, from whence they emerge with some humility. Problem is, the dragons v white walkers was something being set up for years at this point, and it ended up feeling like a recycled visual because we just saw the same effect two weeks ago. If they did this as a narrative choice (employing dragon rage as a precursor to Jamie and Jon Snow having a baptismal awakening), it better pay off huge or it'll have been a waste. 

One of the pitfalls with moving beyond the books is that Benioff, etc might lose patience for, and interest in, some of the more clever plot elements from the books. Consider the discipline it took to carry out the Hodor/Hold The Door storyline, for instance. Is that kind of stuff going to fall off as we move forward, with no one beholden to any text? While this season has been pretty good, it doesn't feel as clever(?) as past seasons. Instead, it feels like Lord of the Rings. Could just be that I'm spoiled by previous seasons.

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I just watched the episode and I had some issues with it. Thrones does a lot of mirroring, and it's what we got here with the dragon wiping out a bunch of chaff and a major character going into the water as in a baptism, from whence they emerge with some humility. Problem is, the dragons v white walkers was something being set up for years at this point, and it ended up feeling like a recycled visual because we just saw the same effect two weeks ago. If they did this as a narrative choice (employing dragon rage as a precursor to Jamie and Jon Snow having a baptismal awakening), it better pay off huge or it'll have been a waste. 

One of the pitfalls with moving beyond the books is that Benioff, etc might lose patience for, and interest in, some of the more clever plot elements from the books. Consider the discipline it took to carry out the Hodor/Hold The Door storyline, for instance. Is that kind of stuff going to fall off as we move forward, with no one beholden to any text? While this season has been pretty good, it doesn't feel as clever(?) as past seasons. Instead, it feels like Lord of the Rings. Could just be that I'm spoiled by previous seasons.

all i got from your post

Image result for hodor elevator

• Haha 1

On 8/25/2017 at 1:56 PM, T0mShane said:

They have sewn the seeds of a ton of sh*t this season and you hillbillies have done nothing but complain. 

• Sympathy 1