"And the Jets High Powered Offense"

JohnnyLV

Just once in my life I would like to see the game promo for a Primetime Game use this phrase. Winning is the most important thing, and if we won every game 6-3 on way to a SB win I would be ecstatic, but I just really want to see the Jets score some points consistently for the first time in what? A generation?

1998 was the last time this team had a high-powered offense, but it only lasted for one season.  However, the knock on that offense was that it was also a little too "finesse" and it showed in Denver when the team couldn't run the ball for its life.

Before that one year, I think you have to go to the Ken O'Brien days of the 80s

The Jets already have a middle-of-the-road offense now.

They do?

It won't happen until they get a QB.  That's not happening for at least another season, although most likely longer, so we're going to have to lean on the defense a while longer.  Hopefully the offense can just raise the bar to the level of mediocrity from the putrid display they put on last year and we should be able to make some noise because the defense should be elite.

1998 was the last time this team had a high-powered offense, but it only lasted for one season.  However, the knock on that offense was that it was also a little too "finesse" and it showed in Denver when the team couldn't run the ball for its life.

Too bad we didn't have Marino we would have had the number 1 offense..LOL

Yeah but Vinnie threw for over 350 yds that day too. The reason we lost in Denver were the turnovers. There was a fork ready and waiting to be stuck in the Broncos who were out muscled for much of that game, but instead we drove down the field an numerous occasions only to give the ball to Elway and Terrel Davis instead of scoring points.  If think it was byers and Martin as the culprits if I remember correctly (which there is no guarantee that I do) and VT had a couple int's.

We were also primed in 99 to dominate with our offense but once again got the rug pulled out from under us when VT's Achilles tore.  That offense was serious for us.

No QB, No dice.

Yep but if Amaro pans out there are some pieces in place. Take Cooper or White, 1 of the 2nd or 3rd round RB's and hope to hit. They might be just a QB away or be just enough to carry a mediocre QB a little bit.

I keep imagining the Jets landing Cooper or White and for the first time maybe ever the best unit on the team are the WR's. Thats just weird.

Yeah but Vinnie threw for over 350 yds that day too. The reason we lost in Denver were the turnovers. There was a fork ready and waiting to be stuck in the Broncos who were out muscled for much of that game, but instead we drove down the field an numerous occasions only to give the ball to Elway and Terrel Davis instead of scoring points.  If think it was byers and Martin as the culprits if I remember correctly (which there is no guarantee that I do) and VT had a couple int's.

We were also primed in 99 to dominate with our offense but once again got the rug pulled out from under us when VT's Achilles tore.  That offense was serious for us.

Trying to recover a fumble from the back that had 14 yds rushing in the AFCCG..LOL 

Yep but if Amaro pans out there are some pieces in place. Take Cooper or White, 1 of the 2nd or 3rd round RB's and hope to hit. They might be just a QB away or be just enough to carry a mediocre QB a little bit.

I keep imagining the Jets landing Cooper or White and for the first time maybe ever the best unit on the team are the WR's. Thats just weird.

You and me both. This is exaclty what I would like to see. If our O line can stiffen up a bit and adding Marshall and Cooper we may just be able to be something of quality with Fitz or maybe even Geno.

Just once in my life I would like to see the game promo for a Primetime Game use this phrase. Winning is the most important thing, and if we won every game 6-3 on way to a SB win I would be ecstatic, but I just really want to see the Jets score some points consistently for the first time in what? A generation?

Outside of the first 11 games with Favre, yes.

I seem to remember that he did.

I still think they would have been better off with Tupa than Rick Mirer.

Agreed. Ray Lucas as well. We were one game out of the playoffs and playing better than most teams at the end of the season.  Staying with Mirer for a week or two too long undid our chances that year. Lucas was on fire that season due to the weapons he had around him.

Agreed. Ray Lucas as well. We were one game out of the playoffs and playing better than most teams at the end of the season.  Staying with Mirer for a week or two too long undid our chances that year. Lucas was on fire that season due to the weapons he had around him.

Agreed. 

Rick Mirer should have never even been the QB.  He had a pretty lousy reputation prior to becoming a Jet, so I always thought it was a curious move to bring him in to back up Testaverde when it was clear that there was a massive dropoff from Vinny to Mirer.  

If nothing else, they should have continued on with Tupa at least through the end of the opener and then reassessed things going into the next week.  

If we get Cooper (and maybe a pass catching RB in the third or 4th) I think this offense can be very good (it's not going to be NE/Denver/Packers without a top tier QB).  It would give us weapons on the field like we've never had before, three WRs that can matchup with the top corner on the other team and still have a shot, a good TE that can catch the ball, an already good running game, and possibly a mobile QB.  

I think it's the implementation of the spread system that is going to be the key, because the whole point is to target the one on one matchups that are opened up on the field.  This is why people don't like Mariotta, because their system actually runs very few plays, but they have 4 or 5 variations happening on the same exact play, so the QB has to decide either at the line or at the snap where the defense is slanting against, and then go the other way.  This takes out some of the mental aspect of the game, and that is essentially Geno's biggest weakness.  The spread also helps deter CB blitzes, another problem we faced last year, because too many guys are bunched up near the formation, so a CB doesn't have to run quite as far for a blitz.  So, if Gailey can implement a somewhat fast paced spread system, some of the problems with the offense should improve anyway.  But add Cooper, and then we have a dangerous offense that should have teams thinking hard about gameplans.  

Wish granted. You were 20 years old in 1985. Congrats. 

That HOF back.  hey I really had hope for Tom Tupa after that  :)  Didn't he come right in and throw a TD pass?

Yes Tupa did as a matter of fact.  I was at that game.  It was a beautiful day too and there was a lot of optimism in the air (at least until the injury).  Tupa held the fort that game but Mirer was horrendous.  Ray Lucas was a garbage QB but he did pull off win after win.  I think we missed the playoffs by 1 game that year.

I think I'd rather have a mauling OL than a good RB.  It feels like you can "invent" a very good RB by having a good OL.

Look at it this way. It would take 2 of the better RBs in this draft to come close to equaling what Gurley will give you by himself.

Yes Tupa did as a matter of fact.  I was at that game.  It was a beautiful day too and there was a lot of optimism in the air (at least until the injury).  Tupa held the fort that game but Mirer was horrendous.  Ray Lucas was a garbage QB but he did pull off win after win.  I think we missed the playoffs by 1 game that year.

Yep.  I was in Cleveland that day welcoming back the browns to the NFL with a bunch of buddies of mine. Oh boy did the Cleveland fans rip into me when VT went down. Bunch of classless fans (who we got into a huge fight with at the end of the game).

WE missed it by one game and were riding high the last 4-5 games of the year. We would have done some damage in the playoffs that year. Our team was built to win the superbowl but the QB once again was our downfall that year.

Archived