Petty impresses in mini camp

njjetman

HOME STUDY

It sounds as if Smith and Brandon Marshall are getting a jump-start on building chemistry. Marshall, the new Jets receiver, revealed Friday that he is living with the quarterback.

“Twenty-four hours a day we’re getting after it,” Marshall said on ESPN Radio in Chicago. “Go home, walking through plays.”

Marshall said he plans on staying with Smith until the end of June before getting his own place.

He was also supportive of Smith’s abilities on the field.

“It’s cool because he’s a guy that he can make all the throws,” Marshall said. “He’s super duper smart.”

Fans may be expecting Fitzpatrick to get the starting nod, but it's pretty clear here who Marshall thinks will be the team's starting QB this season.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fans may be expecting Fitzpatrick to get the starting nod, but it's pretty clear here who Marshall thinks will be the team's starting QB this season.

No receiver wants to play with a weak-armed QB. We saw with Pennington how much those soft-pitch passes left receivers open to injury, even on simple underneath patterns.

There's no retreat, I've said countless times that I think the kid is hot garbage, but I don't see the point in belaboring that when he's on our team. The best I can hope for is him to sit a year or two and develop,

Ok, Pierre.

He should play this year if he is ready.   Silly to take a year away from him just because you think every qb should sit a year 1st.

Really ? Based on what. 15 minutes at a rookie minicamp ?

He need's to sit back and learn for now. Whether he should step on the field or not shouldn't even be part of the conversation. Period.

Reading Cardale Jones tweets makes me believe that he's lacking a cerebral cortex. Can you confirm?

Most of what makes you a good QB comes from the lower brain anywho

Bryce Petty a real steal at QB for Jets, say former coaches

NEW YORK DAILY NEWS Saturday, May 9, 2015, 11:48 AM A A A

The Jets may have hit pay dirt with fourth round draft pick Bryce Petty.

The Jets’ search for a franchise quarterback passed the desperation stage long ago.

For the better part of five decades, the whiffs at the game’s most important position have anchored the star-crossed franchise and prompted four-letter-word frustration.

So, Bryce Petty’s arrival last weekend prompted some fed-up folks to dream big.

Could the fourth-round pick that lit it up at Baylor be the solution to a seemingly unsolvable problem?

“Jets fans are in for a big treat,’’ Baylor coach Art Briles told the Daily News, rattling off all the reasons why those who believe that his former pupil won’t thrive at the next level are clueless.

Petty was a statistical force in two years as a starter, winning 21 of 25 games to spearhead back-to-back Big 12 championships. He had two 500-yard and four 400-yard passing games last season.

Petty has the size (6-3, 230 pounds), arm strength and intelligence to make this work, but there is a fair amount of skepticism over whether he’ll be able to transition from Briles’ no-huddle, shot-gun spread offense to a prototypical NFL one.

Briles’ take: That’s B.S.

“He’s a great player,” Briles said. “Was Joe Montana in a system? Is Tom Brady in a system? Everybody’s in a system. It’s just about how you adapt. He’ll do well in whatever he’s asked to do. ... RG3 won an NFC East title and was NFL Rookie of the Year. Then he got ‘systemized.’ So, I mean, let them play.

“A lot of other people have the same beliefs that run styles of the spread offense. It’s sprinkled throughout the league.”

Briles was surprised that Petty lasted until the fourth round — “My opinion was that he was first-round material, but apparently my opinion didn’t count” — and doesn’t think he’ll encounter significant hurdles.

Petty played in a more simplified scheme with predetermined reads, but Briles believes his former star signal caller has the football acumen to adeptly go through more progressions against complex defenses.

“If the first guy’s not open, you go to the second,” Briles said. “That’s something that’s not an issue. It’s almost comical we’re even talking about it, to be honest with you. … I mean, come on. This guy already has his master’s (in sports management). Anybody can sit and study and understand, but can you take it from the classroom to the field? That’s what determines who wins for you on Saturday or Sunday. He’s a winner on game days.”

Bryce Petty gets rave reviews from coaches like Art Briles, who he played under for four seasons at Baylor.

“To me, here’s his football IQ: 8,600 yards, 61 TDs, nine INTs, two Big 12 titles,” Briles added. “That’s a pretty good IQ. It’s about how you produce on the field. Did you win? Are you a leader? Do you have the intangibles? Do you love the game? Yeah, he’s got all of those, but the most important one is that he wins. He’s a winner.”

Petty admitted at rookie minicamp this weekend that digesting the playbook is his top priority. Former Baylor offensive coordinator Philip Montgomery told The News that he saw significant jumps last season in Petty’s overall understanding and awareness of what defenses were trying to do to slow down Baylor’s high-powered offense. Petty’s adjustments to those tactics convinced Montgomery that he’s capable of thriving quickly at the next level.

Geno Smith is the top quarterback on the Jets depth chart for now. Smith or veteran Ryan Fitzpatrick will likely be the Week 1 starter for a team with a revamped roster, but Petty’s college coaches would hardly be surprised if he pulls a Russell Wilson and leapfrogs everyone in training camp.

“I know how driven he is,” said Montgomery, who was hired as the Tulsa head coach in December. “I can see him getting in there and doing great things and winning the job. It’s going to be more on the Jets organization and their coaching staff just to see how fast they really want to progress him. I know he’ll be prepared either way.”

Kyle Shanahan had plenty of success incorporating elements of Baylor’s offense into the Washington scheme during Robert Griffin III’s rookie season in 2012, but Montgomery doesn’t believe Jets offensive coordinator Chan Gailey needs to take the same path with Petty.

“I don’t think you have to do that for Bryce,” Montgomery said. “Bryce is more of a prototypical quarterback. He can stand back there and sling it all over the field. He’s accurate. He’ll have command of what he’s doing. Being underneath center — depending on how much they do it — is not going to be an issue for him. Everybody makes such a big deal about that, (but) whichever way they choose to use Bryce, I think he is going to be able to adapt.”

Despite Briles’ and Montgomery’s understandable optimism, there will be a learning curve for a quarterback who operated out of the shotgun on 97% of his college snaps. Smith had challenges syncing his footwork with receivers’ route combinations two years ago. Petty will likely endure similar growing pains as a rookie.

“He ended up in a great place,” Montgomery said. “Jets fans and their coaching staff are going to figure out that they got a steal.”

The Jets aren’t going to rush Petty’s development, but nobody will complain if he accelerates the timetable this summer.

“I know who I am,” Petty said. “I know what I can do here.”

He might be able to do it sooner than you think.

@MMehtaNYDN

We as jets fans should talk about petty non stop until game 1 so we all have inflated expectations and then when he throws a pick 6 in week 4 we can all hope for next years greatest qb prospects coming out of college...

#EndlessCycle

Really ? Based on what. 15 minutes at a rookie minicamp ?

He need's to sit back and learn for now. Whether he should step on the field or not shouldn't even be part of the conversation. Period.

Uhm based on what I said...IF HE IS READY.....I didn't say he should start based on 1 day of mini lol

And yes if he is ready and is clearly the better choice of the 3 then he should start.

Really disagree with that. Geno and Sanchez before him were thrown into the starting lineup way before they were ready. Geno, especially, coming from his gimmicky college offense. And when you throw them in before they're ready, they screw up a lot, and lose confidence. You can really see that in Geno, who really goes into a shell with every mistake. Maybe a year of learning would've limited those early mistakes, and given him a little foundation to work from.

I like that they're gonna bring Petty along very slowly. They should. People have very high expectations this year, but it's the first year with a rookie head coach and a rebuilt roster. I think the regime is taking a longer view. Best thing that could happen to Petty would be to have a nice preseason against future UPS drivers, and then not see game action again until preseason 2016.

I don't agree.  Someone who hears the footsteps will always hear them.  He may have benefit from one year on bench but I doubt he would be any better than he is today with 2 full seasons of experience.

Also I believe too a major issue with him is in his head and confidence evidence by the 3 int in a row at buffalo which could be stroked a bit but he also lacks attention to detail which is his bigger issue.

“It’s cool because he’s a guy that he can make all the throws,” Marshall said. “He’s super duper smart.”

Super-duper is the adjective you use when talking to handicapped kids to boost their self-esteem.

It's not what I want to hear in reference to my team's QB.

Yeah, I agree that's likely. Even if Marshall doesn't necessarily believe that Geno is "the guy", it's great to see him try and help the kid along. It'd be nice to hear of the Geno --> Marshall connection in a positive light on espn.

Or... or--and I'm just throwing this out there--maybe Marshall is just racist and doesn't want to hang out with the bearded white guy. Someone should contact Stephen A Smith with this bombshell.

Bryce Petty a real steal at QB for Jets, say former coaches

NEW YORK DAILY NEWS Saturday, May 9, 2015, 11:48 AM A A A

The Jets may have hit pay dirt with fourth round draft pick Bryce Petty.

The Jets’ search for a franchise quarterback passed the desperation stage long ago.

For the better part of five decades, the whiffs at the game’s most important position have anchored the star-crossed franchise and prompted four-letter-word frustration.

So, Bryce Petty’s arrival last weekend prompted some fed-up folks to dream big.

Could the fourth-round pick that lit it up at Baylor be the solution to a seemingly unsolvable problem?

“Jets fans are in for a big treat,’’ Baylor coach Art Briles told the Daily News, rattling off all the reasons why those who believe that his former pupil won’t thrive at the next level are clueless.

Petty was a statistical force in two years as a starter, winning 21 of 25 games to spearhead back-to-back Big 12 championships. He had two 500-yard and four 400-yard passing games last season.

Petty has the size (6-3, 230 pounds), arm strength and intelligence to make this work, but there is a fair amount of skepticism over whether he’ll be able to transition from Briles’ no-huddle, shot-gun spread offense to a prototypical NFL one.

Briles’ take: That’s B.S.

“He’s a great player,” Briles said. “Was Joe Montana in a system? Is Tom Brady in a system? Everybody’s in a system. It’s just about how you adapt. He’ll do well in whatever he’s asked to do. ... RG3 won an NFC East title and was NFL Rookie of the Year. Then he got ‘systemized.’ So, I mean, let them play.

“A lot of other people have the same beliefs that run styles of the spread offense. It’s sprinkled throughout the league.”

Briles was surprised that Petty lasted until the fourth round — “My opinion was that he was first-round material, but apparently my opinion didn’t count” — and doesn’t think he’ll encounter significant hurdles.

Petty played in a more simplified scheme with predetermined reads, but Briles believes his former star signal caller has the football acumen to adeptly go through more progressions against complex defenses.

“If the first guy’s not open, you go to the second,” Briles said. “That’s something that’s not an issue. It’s almost comical we’re even talking about it, to be honest with you. … I mean, come on. This guy already has his master’s (in sports management). Anybody can sit and study and understand, but can you take it from the classroom to the field? That’s what determines who wins for you on Saturday or Sunday. He’s a winner on game days.”

Bryce Petty gets rave reviews from coaches like Art Briles, who he played under for four seasons at Baylor.

“To me, here’s his football IQ: 8,600 yards, 61 TDs, nine INTs, two Big 12 titles,” Briles added. “That’s a pretty good IQ. It’s about how you produce on the field. Did you win? Are you a leader? Do you have the intangibles? Do you love the game? Yeah, he’s got all of those, but the most important one is that he wins. He’s a winner.”

Petty admitted at rookie minicamp this weekend that digesting the playbook is his top priority. Former Baylor offensive coordinator Philip Montgomery told The News that he saw significant jumps last season in Petty’s overall understanding and awareness of what defenses were trying to do to slow down Baylor’s high-powered offense. Petty’s adjustments to those tactics convinced Montgomery that he’s capable of thriving quickly at the next level.

Geno Smith is the top quarterback on the Jets depth chart for now. Smith or veteran Ryan Fitzpatrick will likely be the Week 1 starter for a team with a revamped roster, but Petty’s college coaches would hardly be surprised if he pulls a Russell Wilson and leapfrogs everyone in training camp.

“I know how driven he is,” said Montgomery, who was hired as the Tulsa head coach in December. “I can see him getting in there and doing great things and winning the job. It’s going to be more on the Jets organization and their coaching staff just to see how fast they really want to progress him. I know he’ll be prepared either way.”

Kyle Shanahan had plenty of success incorporating elements of Baylor’s offense into the Washington scheme during Robert Griffin III’s rookie season in 2012, but Montgomery doesn’t believe Jets offensive coordinator Chan Gailey needs to take the same path with Petty.

“I don’t think you have to do that for Bryce,” Montgomery said. “Bryce is more of a prototypical quarterback. He can stand back there and sling it all over the field. He’s accurate. He’ll have command of what he’s doing. Being underneath center — depending on how much they do it — is not going to be an issue for him. Everybody makes such a big deal about that, (but) whichever way they choose to use Bryce, I think he is going to be able to adapt.”

Despite Briles’ and Montgomery’s understandable optimism, there will be a learning curve for a quarterback who operated out of the shotgun on 97% of his college snaps. Smith had challenges syncing his footwork with receivers’ route combinations two years ago. Petty will likely endure similar growing pains as a rookie.

“He ended up in a great place,” Montgomery said. “Jets fans and their coaching staff are going to figure out that they got a steal.”

The Jets aren’t going to rush Petty’s development, but nobody will complain if he accelerates the timetable this summer.

“I know who I am,” Petty said. “I know what I can do here.”

He might be able to do it sooner than you think.

@MMehtaNYDN

I see Mehta is already pushing the narrative for a QB controversy.

We as jets fans should talk about petty non stop until game 1 so we all have inflated expectations and then when he throws a pick 6 in week 4 we can all hope for next years greatest qb prospects coming out of college...

#EndlessCycle

Sounds like a plan!  I'm on board.

Maybe I over stated it with "bad"  Cimini says so-so

Jets practice over: Leonard Williams stood out, as you'd expect. Bryce Petty so-so. Quincy Enunwa (Idzik 12) made some plays. #nyj
2h
Beat Writer / Columnist

Point still stands. You cannot read too much into his performance based on one day as much as the likes of Mehta would like there to be a QB controversy.

But it sure as hells makes training camp that much more interesting.

Archived