Geno Smith Warning in Jets Locker Room: Don't Wreck Us Now

flgreen

Charlie We had a similar situation here in Buffalo with Whaley wanting EJ Manuel to play. Finally, Marrone made the decision to pull him. I can understand the players' frusrtations. However, I just think it's something that should stay in the locker room and not in the media.

You know I agree with you.

I got a great education on how a football team is supposed to be when I lived in buffalo during those championship runs.

So no you don't run your mouth like this to the press to in fact embarrass your team mate. Never!!!

I agree wholeheartedly.

I am just pointing out why it happened and specially for those Jets fans who continue to post out here saying "Idzak" wasn't or isn't that bad.

Oh yes he was and this is just one of a hundred reasons why he had to go!!!

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fair enough. But you don't say it to a beat reporter on the record. Not unless you're a total asshat, which Colon apparently is.

If Colon was such a veteran "leader" type, then he should say it directly to Geno and only to Geno. What he did is unbecoming of a veteran who should know better; it's immature, and just flat-out scuzzy. 

Bingo !!!!

Colon is an ass. First off, it's not like he's saying anything profound. Smith surely knows this already. Ditto the GM, the coaching staff, the other players, the reporters, and virtually all of the fan base -- all of them already knew all of what he's said.

So all Colon is doing is just trash-talking his (so far) starting QB to the media. It's an obnoxious thing to say if it was only in front of the team. But to spout off like this to the papers?

He's here to be a team leader. What he just did here is not leadership. 

All good points.  I just think the team hates Geno and Colon is voicing it in his own way.

Manziel has gotten more support from his teammates than Geno.

All good points.  I just think the team hates Geno and Colon is voicing it in his own way.

Manziel has gotten more support from his teammates than Geno.

Huh?  Decker came out and publicly defended him and Marshall moved in with Geno.  I think the team supports Geno, big time.  

Colon is just a worthless moron. 

Huh?  Decker came out and publicly defended him and Marshall moved in with Geno.  I think the team supports Geno, big time.  

I am not sure if someone asked him about Geno or if he just volunteered his opinion.   At this point, I am really rooting for Carpenter, Aboushi, Dozier and Harrison to make this guy expendable. 

Macc signed him as a fall back option in case all the kids go bust.  If one of them steps up, Colon's a back up, and gone next year.

This

Colon is a reasonable vet backup in case of emergency, being paid as such.

That was before we signed Carpenter and drafted Harrison....

Certainly ... My understanding is his contract is not guaranteed ... So if the young guys look good enough he may be cut before week 1 ... My guess is he'll be on the roster though as a reasonably priced insurance policy

Certainly ... My understanding is his contract is not guaranteed ... So if the young guys look good enough he may be cut before week 1 ... My guess is he'll be on the roster though as a reasonably priced insurance policy

Not if he keeps running his mouth and their play is even or better than his; they are not cutting one of these young guys for him.... 

If he's said this to a reporter, one can only imagine how many times and to how many teammates he's expressed this already.

What Colon fails to realize is he's not just publicly calling out Geno. He's also publicly calling out his HC and OC. And as I mentioned above, probably doing it even more behind the scenes.

If he's said this to a reporter, one can only imagine how many times and to how many teammates he's expressed this already.

What Colon fails to realize is he's not just publicly calling out Geno. He's also publicly calling out his HC and OC. And as I mentioned above, probably doing it even more behind the scenes.

Hmmm how do you feel that Colon's comments are calling out the HC and GM?

You know I agree with you.

I got a great education on how a football team is supposed to be when I lived in buffalo during those championship runs.

So no you don't run your mouth like this to the press to in fact embarrass your team mate. Never!!!

I agree wholeheartedly.

I am just pointing out why it happened and specially for those Jets fans who continue to post out here saying "Idzak" wasn't or isn't that bad.

Oh yes he was and this is just one of a hundred reasons why he had to go!!!

Not too long ago,  I replayed a tape of Idzik's  October 2014 News Conference.  To put it mildly,  I was not impressed.  I like our GM Whaley but have to be honest,  I love your GM.  Mc is intelligent and I think he's doing a great job for the Jets.   I like Bowles too.   IMO,  the greatest coach of all time was Marv Levy.  Love that man.

I was curious what Geno's teammates thought of him behind closed doors. Other than Decker coming to his defense and Marshall trying to be a good new teammate I haven't heard much from others. Do you believe Colon is speaking for himself here?

It's a good point - no one has come to bat for Geno. A lot damning with faint praise "he's going through a maturation period."

Nonsense. Colon is a leader on this team by the sheer fact of his experience.  If anyone is on the bubble, its Winters.  He has been a total flop and major disappointment since drafted.  Another one of Idziot's brilliant picks that needs to be given his walking papers.

"nonsense" is a bit strong, no?  Colon had zero other suitors and signed a minimum one year contract with no guarantees and an okay 4th round draft pick 10 years his junior is currently slated to start ahead of him....he's acting like a leader but is he really the guy to lead?  Also his coach just reprimanded him to the media.

Not too long ago,  I replayed a tape of Idzik's  October 2014 News Conference.  To put it mildly,  I was not impressed.  I like our GM Whaley but have to be honest,  I love your GM.  Mc is intelligent and I think he's doing a great job for the Jets.   I like Bowles too.   IMO,  the greatest coach of all time was Marv Levy.  Love that man.

I use one of Marv Ley's Quotes all the time when I am in difficult meetings which is... "where else would you rather be than right here right now".....

The truth is Marv was a great HC.  The problem was he never won a SB but in mind he never has or had to....SMILES

Never had to cheat or belittle players either....

I use one of Marv Ley's Quotes all the time when I am in difficult meetings which is... "where else would you rather be than right here right now".....

The truth is Marv was a great HC.  The problem was he never won a SB but in mind he never has or had to....SMILES

Never had to cheat or belittle players either....

You're right Charlie,  Marv never won a SB   but he should have.  Buffalo will never forget the loss when Scott Norwood missed the field goal.in SB 1991.  I Can still feel the  pain until this day.  Marv is such a class act guy.  I liked the way he treated his players,  conducted himself on the field and in the media.   My husband (now deceased) used Marv's phrase  "where would you rather be" etc a few times when he made speeches.  It's a great line.  

Huh? Decker came out and publicly defended him and Marshall moved in with Geno. I think the team supports Geno, big time.

That's all true, but I wouldn't put much stock in the Marshall situation. He did that before he started playing with Geno. Once he gets enough reps with Geno he'll hate him too. LOL

I still don't know how you guys didn't win at least 1 SB during that four-year run in the 90s. They were a truly dominant unit, on both sides of the ball. Do you guys still hate Scott Norwood after all these years? Haha

I think Carpenter signed before Colon. 

We can all root for Harrison, but the kid has cost himself millions by not playing up to his potential. Dangerous to count on him suddenly doing so at this level.

Are you sure about that regarding Carpenter?  I don't think so. Even if that is the case, it doesn't matter because Colon only signed a one year deal.   In regards to Harrison, all the quotes I have read about him since signing have been very positive.  When you have a young guy with his kind of talent, that is drafted by your regime, you are not going to cut him for a old dude on his last leg, unless the kid totally sucks.   Harrison is making this team. 

Are you sure about that regarding Carpenter?  I don't think so. Even if that is the case, it doesn't matter because Colon only signed a one year deal.   In regards to Harrison, all the quotes I have read about him since signing have been very positive.  When you have a young guy with his kind of talent, that is drafted by your regime, you are not going to cut him for a old dude on his last leg, unless the kid totally sucks.   Harrison is making this team. 

When they courted Carpenter there were reports that they decided not to have Colon back.  Harrison will make the team because he is someone the new regime has ties to.  GMs always prefer their own mistakes to the mistakes of others.  Harrison could turn out, but the idea he is a steal is coming before he has played a down.  Sort of like Reilly last year.  NFL ready!  7th round!  A resounding meh on the field.

When they courted Carpenter there were reports that they decided not to have Colon back.  Harrison will make the team because he is someone the new regime has ties to.  GMs always prefer their own mistakes to the mistakes of others.  Harrison could turn out, but the idea he is a steal is coming before he has played a down.  Sort of like Reilly last year.  NFL ready!  7th round!  A resounding meh on the field.

I actually liked what little I saw of Reilly last year.  Carpenter signed a big contract and is practically guaranteed to start unless he gets hurt.  Colon is probably the front runner but I think he will be seriously pushed by Aboushi, Dozier and yes Harrison.  The guy has great feet and athleticsm for a guy his size; in fact he could actually be the heir apparent to Brick down the road.  I don't see him NOT making the team and if comes down to him or Colon, I think the CS/FO would have to go with him.  If he goes to the PS I think he gets snatched up in a hurry. 

I actually liked what little I saw of Reilly last year.  Carpenter signed a big contract and is practically guaranteed to start unless he gets hurt.  Colon is probably the front runner but I think he will be seriously pushed by Aboushi, Dozier and yes Harrison.  The guy has great feet and athleticsm for a guy his size; in fact he could actually be the heir apparent to Brick down the road.  I don't see him NOT making the team and if comes down to him or Colon, I think the CS/FO would have to go with him.  If he goes to the PS I think he gets snatched up in a hurry. 

I don't think Colon is the front runner at all.  I think he is close to the bottom of the barrel.  Harrison should make the team unless he is a real head case.  He has been hurt a bunch, got benched as a senior and was late to his own pro day.  Check out the article below. The guy is the type that could be an instant starter or not make it out of his first camp.  Dozier is the one I am interested in.  I figured he'd take some time to adapt coming from Furman, but I think it is odd they are playing him at center.  I guess maybe in a pinch so they have versatility, but he is a guy I'd have expected to have concentrating on G or RT. 

Labeled a "knucklehead" by three scouts. "He played really well in 2013, but this year he just kind of did his own thing and it showed," one scout said. "The trainer will tell the offensive linemen when they come into the locker room to cut the tape off their shoes and put it in a specific pile. Everybody follows that to the letter, but he'll do something completely opposite. Not very highly regarded at the school. He's smart enough to know to stay out of the police blotter type of thing. Just a pain in the (expletive)." Started 37 games over four seasons at LG and LT. "They benched him for like the first four games of (2014)," another scout said. "I could never get a straight answer there. Athletically, he certainly has the ability to go third round. He's lazy." "He short-sets these guys and gets his hands on them, they're dead," a third scout said. "On film, the guy was extremely impressive." From Navasota, Texas.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/rating-the-nfl-draft-prospects-offensive-linemen-b99486136z1-301296461.html

I don't think Colon is the front runner at all.  I think he is close to the bottom of the barrel.  Harrison should make the team unless he is a real head case.  He has been hurt a bunch, got benched as a senior and was late to his own pro day.  Check out the article below. The guy is the type that could be an instant starter or not make it out of his first camp.  Dozier is the one I am interested in.  I figured he'd take some time to adapt coming from Furman, but I think it is odd they are playing him at center.  I guess maybe in a pinch so they have versatility, but he is a guy I'd have expected to have concentrating on G or RT. 

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/rating-the-nfl-draft-prospects-offensive-linemen-b99486136z1-301296461.html

I see Colon as the front runner on paper because he was the starter last year.  I like Dozier too and would not be surprised if he wound up winning the job outright; Harrison to me seems like a immature kid.  He is in the pros now and is getting paid; that is a little different then being in school so I will see how he conducts himself.   He has good role models in Brick and Mangold and even to some degree Colon (if he can keep his mouth shut).   He probably won't start but I see him making the team. 

While Colon is right, this is the exact same bullsh*t mentality which Rex had that lead to his stoplight, kindergarten treatment of Sanchez and the decision to tell Geno what read to throw to last year pre-snap. Additionally, Colon's ass hasn't bought anything but a 1st and 20 and pushed us out of the red-zone.

Agreed. I like the way you described a Colon. "1st and 20" should be his nickname...

Good grief.  You, as a Bills fan, re watched an Idzik presser?  You need to get a life 

Not necessarily so.  Bowles even said he didn't have a problem with what Colon said.  Just because the FO is giving Smith the edge as the starter, doesn't mean they are 'all in' on Smith. Presented with limited options, Mac and Bowles hands were pretty much tied this year and are forced to start Smith.  If anything, Colon complimented Mac and Bowles by describing the new team assembled as a 'Porsche'.  Colon just spoke his mind regarding Smith, not the decision by the FO to start him.  He's entitled to it. He's a veteran and has first hand witness to Smith's implosions.  It's obvious Colon doesn't like or trust Smith.  The general consensus in all football circles strongly doubt Smith can ever be a competent starter.  What Colon said isn't a secret and has zero implications on anyone other than Smith himself.   

I still don't know how you guys didn't win at least 1 SB during that four-year run in the 90s. They were a truly dominant unit, on both sides of the ball. Do you guys still hate Scott Norwood after all these years? Haha

Keysersoze:  About Scott Norwood?  Till this day,  Bills' fan get sick just thinking about SB 1991.  

Good grief.  You, as a Bills fan, re watched an Idzik presser?  You need to get a life 

Yep,  Idzik was a huge problem why our current coache's previous team (the Jets) didn't do well over the past 2 years.  Of course I would re-visit Idzik's conference for just that reason.

Not necessarily so.  Bowles even said he didn't have a problem with what Colon said.  Just because the FO is giving Smith the edge as the starter, doesn't mean they are 'all in' on Smith. Presented with limited options, Mac and Bowles hands were pretty much tied this year and are forced to start Smith.  If anything, Colon complimented Mac and Bowles by describing the new team assembled as a 'Porsche'.  Colon just spoke his mind regarding Smith, not the decision by the FO to start him.  He's entitled to it. He's a veteran and has first hand witness to Smith's implosions.  It's obvious Colon doesn't like or trust Smith.  The general consensus in all football circles strongly doubt Smith can ever be a competent starter.  What Colon said isn't a secret and has zero implications on anyone other than Smith himself.   

My point isn't whether or not Smith is any good, since he isn't. It's that what Colon did was inappropriate and certainly unbecoming of a veteran leader. You don't call out your own team's starting QB - which Bowles has also said Smith is right now - to a reporter. If Bowles truly thinks this is appropriate for a teammate - particularly one playing for the league minimum - to essentially trash talk the guy his HC (and OC) want to see as the starting QB, then he's a fool. I can't think of a head coach in history that is actually ok with players absolving the whole team except for 1 player, for an upcoming season, in the papers. 

What Bowles did was to try to cover up for Colon later, after indicating he wasn't at all happy about it. The description of Bowles was that he was (visibly) exasperated about Colon's comments when asked point blank, and his first comment was to say if you don't have anything nice to say don't say anything at all. Then he scoffed to reporters about the team being a Porsche. 

Then later, which means when a reporter asked him about it a 2nd time, Bowles then played it down. At that point, he then quasi-covered for him by saying he didn't think Colon was being critical and nothing he said was wrong, because he didn't think Colon was being critical or harmful to Smith. Also some silliness about freedom of speech, which is just dumb so you know Bowles is reaching to cover up for Colon for a first offense. No coach wants any players to be loose cannons with the press, whether or not the privilege is enumerated in their constitutional rights. (He also, appropriately, didn't even seem to like it much when Gailey blabbed that Smith is the starter and that there was to be no competition, which he walked back a little when asked a day or two later.) 

He clearly did have a problem with it, and was trying to diffuse it to try to make the story die when asked about it again. If Bowles truly thought Colon wasn't taking a shot at Smith publicly, his initial reaction wouldn't be to parrot the "If you don't have anything nice to say" expression. It has nothing to do with whether Colon was right or wrong in his assessment. That is irrelevant. For the most part, he was right, but BFD. Where he was in the wrong was saying to to reporters (during freaking OTAs, no less). A real team leader says this to Geno directly and to no one else, if he says anything at all.

If I was a betting man, I'd bet Bowles will have private words with Colon about it, if he hasn't already. Because it's obvious that reporters are next going to hit Geno with this story that Colon created. It's an unnecessary distraction and surely the coach realizes it.

Colon is a 7th degree moron which places him in the embarrassing category.

Bowles, if he's as good as I hope he is as a personnel manager, has already formulated a plan to stifle the knuckleheads from becoming the voice of the locker room.    

Archived