How will Antonio Allen be used this year?

Maxman

2014 was a total throwaway year for Allen due to Ryan jerking him around between CB and S.

With the amount of secondary players Bowles uses to cover spread formations, Allen can write

his own ticket if he absorbs the playbook

+1

They brought in Gilcrhrist to cover TEs. Allen was the best we had, but still not very good.

I have a feeling Miles is going to make it impossible to cut him, and Allen, or Jarret will be heading north.

I don't know, he looked pretty darn good in 2013 against Gronk and Jimmy Graham.  I blame the subpar performance in 2014 on Idzik/injuries forcing him to play out of position.

No I don't because the Revis Island cb he was a couple years ago doesn't exist anymore. He still a top tier cb, just no where near the best cb in the game anymore . Sooner or later happens to every single cb at some point in their career.

your the same guy that used to argue

Nnamdi Asomugha was better then Revis lol

I don't know, he looked pretty darn good in 2013 against Gronk and Jimmy Graham.  I blame the subpar performance in 2014 on Idzik/injuries forcing him to play out of position.

This is a common misconception.  I remember thinking he looked good against Gronk and having somebody else remind of the numbers.  He *looked* good and had the pick 6, but Gronkowski got over 100 and had like 50% of the Pats receiving yards on the day.  I don't remember him looking any particular way against Graham, but Graham had a monster day with over 100 and 2 TDs.  I can't say I remember Allen being matched up on them all day, but if he wasn't, why are we supposed to be impressed?

How do you figure that they brought in 5'10 195 Marcus Gilchrist to cover the Te's . Seems like he was brought in to play Fs , so C Pryor could play Ss. Antonio Allen has size 6'1 210 to be a better matchup against the Te's.

I figure because that's what Gilchrist has done well in the past. He covers the larger slot  guys, and Skrine covers the smaller, quicker guys.

Gilchrist can play cover one centerfield, but it's not his best position.

We are going to start Revis, Cro, Skrine, Gilchrist, and Pryor. That's 5 guys. How do you see Allen getting on the field?

Mac, and Bowles targeted Gilchrist specifically, and it was for his versatility, being a former CB, not for playing deep middle which we probably won't do.

We signed man coverage CBs and we are not going to give them deep help often.

He was going against a rookie QB playing his first EVER NFL game. No wonder he looked pretty good. He is better suited as a safety and I think he is better in space than Calvin Pryor who looked awful in coverage.

I think you're confusing coverage with with space.

Allen looks horrible in space. He's okay in press coverage, which is what he did to Gronk. Jammed him and rode him throughout the route. Still he only looked good compared to how bad we expected him to look.

Pryor was played in very deep centerfield last year, which was out of necessity. He took very poor angles, and responded late to broken coverages on the outside.

His game is mid range sideline to sideline hitter. That's where I think he'll play this year with CBs that do not need deep help.

We'll play a base nickel with Gilchrist deeper when there's no elite TE on the field, and man when there is.

Skrine playing deeper when Gilchrist is up, and playing the slot when there's an elite slot receiver.

This I'm guessing we'll be in 60% of the time.

This is a common misconception.  I remember thinking he looked good against Gronk and having somebody else remind of the numbers.  He *looked* good and had the pick 6, but Gronkowski got over 100 and had like 50% of the Pats receiving yards on the day.  I don't remember him looking any particular way against Graham, but Graham had a monster day with over 100 and 2 TDs.  I can't say I remember Allen being matched up on them all day, but if he wasn't, why are we supposed to be impressed?

Most of those catches you mention were when Allen wasn't covering.

LOL. BTW this is the third time I LOL regarding your Revis BS. When will you stop? Were you the same guy who thought Nnamdi was better than Revis? Lol

He just makes it up as he goes along.  Changes the facts to make his point.  This is the same guy who with his expert eye told everyone over and over that Aso was a far better CB than Revis.  

I figure because that's what Gilchrist has done well in the past. He covers the larger slot guys, and Skrine covers the smaller, quicker guys.

Gilchrist can play cover one centerfield, but it's not his best position.

We are going to start Revis, Cro, Skrine, Gilchrist, and Pryor. That's 5 guys. How do you see Allen getting on the field?

Mac, and Bowles targeted Gilchrist specifically, and it was for his versatility, being a former CB, not for playing deep middle which we probably won't do.

We signed man coverage CBs and we are not going to give them deep help often.

I disagree. Gilchrist may have covered the big slot in San Diego, but that doesn't necessarily mean it is his strength. Weddle is the face of the Chargers secondary, and when healthy he played FS. This forced Gilcrest into the SS role.

I think centerfield/roaming/rolling deep cover is exactly what he'll do here.

Skrine is small and shifty; quick twitch. He plays the "small slot" against trips/quads formations

If Revis shadows the opposing WR1

That leaves a WR2 and other pass catching threats (TEs and RBs).

Against teams with TWO big receivers, I think Cro will play WR2 on the outside. Otherwise, I think he's our TE-killer.

Cromartie against most teams covers the "big slot".

I see Allen playing the hybrid LB/SS in the Deone Buchannon role. Subbing into a LB spot on run heavy formations,( covering the second TE in 2 TE sets).

Pryor is the SS.

Milliner, McDougle, Williams, or surprise other will rise to the CB2 (outside CB) position. Especially against the smallish stretch guys or the medium build route-runners, where Cro would either give up way to much cushion, or get his feet caught up.

Antonio Allen went training camp last summer as a safety. A couple of weeks later, he was moved to cornerback for the first time in, like, his entire life.And so it began, a season-long storyline in which he went back and forth between the positions. Through no fault of his own, Allen did more swinging than a desperate politician.

Not anymore.

Antonio Allen finished last season with more snaps at cornerback (370) than safety (125) for the Jets. "He’s playing safety for us this year," New York Jets coach Todd Bowles said.Bowles' predecessor, Rex Ryan, decided to move Allen to cornerback after Dee Milliner and Dex McDougle were injured on the same day in training camp. They were hurting at the position -- and that was before Dimitri Patterson decided to run for the hills, never to be heard from again.

Allen, thrown into an almost impossible situation, gave it the old college try. He started the season opener and played well against the Oakland Raiders, but reality hit the following week against the Green Bay Packers, who exposed the Jets' patchwork secondary. From that point on, Allen looked like a safety playing corner, struggling. Hey, it's not an easy position. That's why the best corners are making eight-figure salaries.He finished the season with more snaps at cornerback (370) than safety (125), according to ESPN Stats & Information.

After loading up on cornerbacks in the offseason, Allen's return to safety was a no-brainer. Bowles liked what he saw (and heard) during minicamp and organized team activities."He’s athletic," Bowles said. "In shorts and a T-shirt, he runs around well. He has a passion for the game and he’s a very brash guy, which is a good thing in football. You need some swagger. We’ll see if that carries over to the summer."

Allen, entering the final year of his rookie contract, is expected to make the team as a backup. Calvin Pryor and Marcus Gilchrist are the projected starters, with Allen and Jaiquawn Jarrett the backups. Rontez Miles had a strong minicamp and will compete for a roster spot.

> http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/52046/antonio-allen-no-longer-a-man-without-a-position-in-jets-secondary

Yeah that reminds me of one more thing I disliked about Rex.  Playing players out of position is just plain dumb.  Frankly I don't care how bad the backup safety plays, he's the back up, the next man up, he should play.  If he can't play then he should never have made the 53 man roster.  If need be get another safety off the street.  

Yeah that reminds me of one more thing I disliked about Rex.  Playing players out of position is just plain dumb.  Frankly I don't care how bad the backup safety plays, he's the back up, the next man up, he should play.  If he can't play then he should never have made the 53 man roster.  If need be get another safety off the street.  

yeah the clown tried to turn geno smith into a quarterback after all

Archived