Fitzmagic.

Integrity28

How do Jared Lorenzen and Matt Flynn have a thread, but the Conquering Hero does not?

The New York Daily News' Manish Mehta believes the Jets' quarterback job is now "Ryan Fitzpatrick's to lose."

Coach Todd Bowles essentially confirmed this in his press conference announcing Geno Smith's broken jaw. Fitzpatrick will run the first-team offense until he plays himself out of the job. The quarterback commonly known as FitzMagic played briefly in Thursday night's preseason opener, completing 2-of-3 passes for 16 yards. Fitzpatrick is a sneaky two-QB-league fantasy pick.

This snippet gives me the sense that Geno and Fitzy were much closer in the competition for the job than what was let on. Additionally, I think there's a feel to this that is indicative of Geno's standing with the coaching staff relative to the punch, so it's not necessarily about rhythm or anything else... it's about having an a$$hole in the locker room. 

fitz gets no respect here. He had a 2:1 td:int ration, had a QB rating >90 and threw for almost 2500 yds despite missing 4games last yr. I think favre or pennington was the last jets qb to have 2:1 td:into and rating >90.

If he can stay healthy he's the best QB we've had since favre. I'm hoping his leg gets back to 100%.

If he can stay healthy he's the best QB we've had since favre. I'm hoping his leg gets back to 100%.

i edited my post, favre was 22:22 and rating of 80, so pennington over 10yrs ago was the last jets qb to do what fitz did last year!!

This snippet gives me the sense that Geno and Fitzy were much closer in the competition for the job than what was let on. Additionally, I think there's a feel to this that is indicative of Geno's standing with the coaching staff relative to the punch, so it's not necessarily about rhythm or anything else... it's about having an a$$hole in the locker room.

I think it's all about the incident. Prior to it, it was Geno's job to lose, now it's Fitzpatrick's. Bowles was clearly disappointed in Geno's actions, at the very least. The response from the rest of the team displayed just how little they think of Geno. Yes, he lost his job for being an a$$hole.

Be interesting to see if Fitz can hold onto it, though.

Ryan Fitzpatrick is now the #1 QB on the Jets. This situation, reminds me somewhat of the 1979 Jets QB situation. Richard Todd was the #1 QB in 1978 when he separated his shoulder in a game mid-season. Matt Robinson, his back up, played most of the remainder of the season (Todd came back for 1 game and re-injured the same shoulder) and did quite well. In the 1979 TC Jets HC Walt Michaels decided to have a QB competition in which Matt Robinson won the starting job. The night prior to the opening game of the season Robinson arm wrestled another player and injured his thumb thus playing a poor game with a heavily taped hand. Robinson couldn't grip the ball well and threw multiple interceptions including a killer in OT resulting in a Jets loss. Robinson, at first, covered up how he injured his thumb but Michaels found out the truth. Michaels then named Todd the starting QB and Robinson never got the job back even when his thumb healed and he was 100%. Apparently Micheals lost all confidence in Robinson because a QB has to be leader and act as such. I believe the same situation exists this year. Fitzpatrick may not be as physically gifted as Smith but he is a real professional and conducts himself as such. IMO, Smith is going to have a difficult time getting back on the field as a starting QB.

How do Jared Lorenzen and Matt Flynn have a thread, but the Conquering Hero does not?

To your point, I defended Smith, saying, give him a chance, but now that I know he's a jerk off, I don't think he can be an effective leader of the Jets.  I'm sure others in the locker room and the coaching staff may feel that way.

The camp tweets for team drills are pretty good for Fitz today:

@Connor_J_Hughes: Nice throw from Fitz to hit Decker perfectly in stride on slant for serious YAC. Beat Cro.

@Connor_J_Hughes: Beautiful pass for Fitz on out route to Evans. Beat Walls

@Connor_J_Hughes: First two sets of team drills for Fitz: He's 6-of-6. #Jets

@Connor_J_Hughes: Through three sets of drills, Fitz having a nice day. Only three passes have hit the ground and one was an Evans drop. #Jets

@CLoprestiWFAN: Offense down 8 with 6 second left. Fitz beats blitz to hit Decker for TD and then Marshall beats Cro for 2-point conversion. #NYJ

I've said all along that Fitz gives this team the best chance to win, not Geno.  Just hope he can stay healthy.  There will be moments where we lament his smaller frame and lack of arm strength.  But we don't need Dan Marino.  We need a smart QB who will throw more TDs than INTs and not mess it up with a very talented defense.

I think it's all about the incident. Prior to it, it was Geno's job to lose, now it's Fitzpatrick's. Bowles was clearly disappointed in Geno's actions, at the very least. The response from the rest of the team displayed just how little they think of Geno. Yes, he lost his job for being an a$$hole.

Be interesting to see if Fitz can hold onto it, though.

There are many ways to lose a job.  Incompetence was not the only tool at Geno'c disposal. 

The camp tweets for team drills are pretty good for Fitz today:

@Connor_J_Hughes: Nice throw from Fitz to hit Decker perfectly in stride on slant for serious YAC. Beat Cro.

@Connor_J_Hughes: Beautiful pass for Fitz on out route to Evans. Beat Walls

@Connor_J_Hughes: First two sets of team drills for Fitz: He's 6-of-6. #Jets

@Connor_J_Hughes: Through three sets of drills, Fitz having a nice day. Only three passes have hit the ground and one was an Evans drop. #Jets

@CLoprestiWFAN: Offense down 8 with 6 second left. Fitz beats blitz to hit Decker for TD and then Marshall beats Cro for 2-point conversion. #NYJ

The passing game is going to live or die with YAC.

I think we'll see a lot of clearing routes. A lot of slants with open field because his arm strength/accuracy outside of the numbers is suspect.

Yep, it's going to be like a game of three card monte.  Even with the lack of deep threats, this can be effective in keeping defenses off balance.  It better be -- it is all we've got for a passing game.

Archived