Jets circus rolls on with a lot of unhappy training campers-Daily News

joewilly12

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Even Cimini didn't go there

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/53110/jets-show-plenty-of-fight-in-practice-and-todd-bowles-makes-em-pay

"These skirmishes were the first two in camp, not counting the Smith-Enemkpali smackdown. The timing wasn't great, happening to close to the punch heard 'round the sports world, but it doesn't mean the Jets are an uncontrollable bunch. This was a physical practice, and tempers flared in the heat."

As I said, I like Kerley.  And agree that he needs to step it up.  I also want him to be more consistent; not disappear.  

Guess the only issue I have with Kerley is that I compare him to Chrebet, who is still the gold standard for Jet slot guys.

EDIT:  Oh, forgot.  I agree with you that Bowles and Mcc need a few years to get the team right.

It didn't take long for the Tuna to get the 1-15 Jets right or Tony Sparano to get the 1-15 Fins right..

Until we get a franchise QB, we're going nowhere other than 8-8/9-6 territory.   Even with our defense.

Chad got them to 11-5 the same as the Pats in Brady-less 2008.. I do agree if any team ever needed a F-QB it's the Jets after all these years..

Chad got them to 11-5 the same as the Pats in Brady-less 2008.. I do agree if any team ever needed a F-QB it's the Jets after all these years..

Sav, can you believe Namath was our last, true, franchise QB?  lol  Forget California, that's a friggin' drought.

Lots of folks will argue the contrary (including me on most days), but if Chad had not been chronically hurt, he might have been a F-QB and taken us the distance.  Totally agree with you that what Chad did with limited tools (and the biggest tool in Sparano) in Miami was very impressive.

Sav, can you believe Namath was our last, true, franchise QB?  lol  Forget California, that's a friggin' drought.

Lots of folks will argue the contrary (including me on most days), but if Chad had not been chronically hurt, he might have been a F-QB and taken us the distance.  Totally agree with you that what Chad did with limited tools (and the biggest tool in Sparano) in Miami was very impressive.

I have always said If Chad had Vinnys arm or for that matter if Vinny had Chads brain we would have been Bowl bound.. :winking0001:

Kerley put up over 800 yds in '12, then two seasons with Geno sees production fall off a cliff...coincidence?

I agree with jgb...Kerely is a prow-bowler with a team like the Pats.

Yes cause short and slow WR are just killing the league .. Kerley inability to get separation is the reason why he does nothing when he is relied upon.

Dude is pretty much the Dustin Keller of WR anyway . Shows up half the season.

The article that started this thread falls under the category of:

"OMG, my editor wants me to "parachute in" and write a Jet article!!!  I know nothing

about the team so I'll dig up the tired "circus" narrative and get this off my desk quick"

Newspapers have 2 basic sports columns-either Team X is a cast of incompetents, knaves and fools who have bad chemistry and should all be fired and cut by the close of business yesterday, or Team X is stacked with geniuses and Supermen who love each other with great chemistry and headed for a championship .This POS column is of the former variety.  

Gonna trust Coach Bowles knows more about NFL foot ball generally and his own team specifically that Philip Bondy knows about anything,

-why would anyone expect geno to do something mature. He blew his last chance. Good riddance.

-kerely has done nothing in 4 years to guarentee he is #3 let alone a roster spot.

-the fights do need to calm down.

How quickly we forget that just two years ago Kerley was the one receiver we had that anyone had to worry about. Despite that he put up solid numbers and put the team in a tailspin when he was injured. Last year he had some help from Decker, Amaro and Harvin. Just because his numbers weren't great doesn't mean he was any less of a player. More that we spread the ball around more.

Kerley was the only receiver anyone had to worry about last year until Decker got healthy at the end of the year.

Things change when the games count.

Belichick does things like "game plan", lol.

Let's see, with Decker playing with a bad hammy, let's double team David Nelson, yea, that's the ticket. Or Hasan Salami or whatever his name is. Kerley should have a HUGE YEAR & be open 24/7 if Marshall & Decker stay healthy.

Big difference being on the field with no playmakers.

How do you think that dude Beasley gets open for Dallas?

Take away Dez & Witten & that little white boy would have CBs/Safeties up his AZZ!

It's a team game folks, the ULTIMATE TEAM GAME, every really good player you add the dominos fall in a way that the opposing team can't cover everyone. In 2014 Kerley probably had over the top coverage in the slot, in 2015 you cover Kerley over the top in the slot & Marshall will play pitch & catch all day.

Shade someone to Marshall & now Decker gets to work one on one. That's why it's SO HARD to slow down the Pats when Gronk is back to his monster self. He makes everyone else job easier when he's on that field!

Guy go back and watch those games . Nobody was double covering Kerley when Decker went down . Teams man'd up and jumped everything underneath . Cause there was no threat of Any one getting behind the defense..

How many times did announcers during the games point out these Recievers we had on field where not getting open .

PS I'm really tired of the circus crap ..

If that is true, there are about 100 players out there w/ the same capabilities as edelman they are just on the wrong team. Got it. Thanks.

Can't give you an exact number.  But if Belicheat and his staff think a receiver has potential, their track record shows that they can coach him up to be successful, if not a star.

The article that started this thread falls under the category of:

"OMG, my editor wants me to "parachute in" and write a Jet article!!!  I know nothing

about the team so I'll dig up the tired "circus" narrative and get this off my desk quick"

KRL you could have stpped at "know nothing"

It's particularly good with Kerley, who got an uncharacteristically large contract extension from John Idzik - especially for a role player. I think that was a head-scratcher for a lot of us, and it's good to see him getting pressed from both sides.

Other positions, though, it's the same status quo that you see with just about every head coach. Willie Colon looks like the starter at RG, which would've been a catastrophe under Rex. Bowles' high-priced CB from his time in Arizona, Cromartie, has a starting job seemingly locked down despite a questionable camp. Geno was entrenched as the starter without any competition before he got his block knocked off. A lot of stuff that would've been good ol' clown shoes nonsense under the previous regime that now gets glossed over. Which is fine, I'm liking Bowles a lot, too. I like the wind sprints, cutting IK. First preseason game was flat as can be, though, and I'm looking forward to seeing some results on the field.

There was a time when Jets fans thought that it was the greatest thing ever that Woody Johnson and Mike Tannenbaum were doing push-ups for penalties at practice. 

There was a time when Jets fans thought that it was the greatest thing ever that Woody Johnson and Mike Tannenbaum were doing push-ups for penalties at practice. 

Those things are fine when the team is winning.  Coaches have to find that balance between discipline and keeping guys loose. 

Can't give you an exact number. But if Belicheat and his staff think a receiver has potential, their track record shows that they can coach him up to be successful, if not a star.

Semi true .. Chad Jackson , Kendall Tompkins , Jabari Gaffeny , Rachae Caldwell , even there recent draft Dotson hasn't done much ..

But they have hit some

When you go 11-5, making the owner and GM do pushups is cool.  When you're 4-12, that stuff makes people cringe. 

I'm so confused.

I dont understand what a record has to do with disciplining the team for making mistakes 

Or is it, wind sprints vs. push ups?  Wind sprints are more hard core and have more of an effect than push ups?  

Guy go back and watch those games . Nobody was double covering Kerley when Decker went down . Teams man'd up and jumped everything underneath . Cause there was no threat of Any one getting behind the defense..

How many times did announcers during the games point out these Recievers we had on field where not getting open .

PS I'm really tired of the circus crap ..

Not every team we played "manned up". A lot of them passed off which makes it tough for a slot WR.

If that was true all LBs would be blitzing on every pass play.

Having a HOF QB helps also..

+1 Brady according to Pat offensive players is like a coach on the field and Welker isn't the only one that benefited from having Brady as their QB..

Yep.  I have always thought Kerley would get 90+ receptions and 1,000+ yards per season in the Patriots offense for exactly this reason.  The NE slot WR position is one of the most interchangeable in the league.  It doesn't take Edelman or Welker to put up those kind of numbers.  Amendola could do it with a full season of health, guys like Jarvis Landry and Kendall Wright could do it in their sleep, and Kerley could do it too.  

I'm so confused.

I dont understand what a record has to do with disciplining the team for making mistakes 

Or is it, wind sprints vs. push ups?  Wind sprints are more hard core and have more of an effect than push ups?  

I don't know what you're confused about.  I was answering a direct question.  Basically what I'm saying is its a Chicken/Egg situation.  The form of discipline tends to get praised or criticized depending on how the team is performing lately.  I don't think it matters much HOW he disciplines his guys as long as he's doing it and maintains the respect of his players.

Archived