" Examining possibility of Jets trading for 49ers TE Vernon Davis " ~ ~ ~

kelly

Reaching into the mailbag for a New York Jets question (and answering the others via Twitter) :

@RichCimini if Vernon Davis is really on the block will & should the jets make a move for let's say a 6th rounder ?  #jetsmail

Pro Football Talk's Mike Florio reports 49ers TE Vernon Davis is unlikely to be traded.

Suffering through another down and injury-hampered season, it is unclear how much help Devis would actually offer a contender in need. Florio said interest in Davis could pick up if he proves healthy and effective before the trade deadline, but nothing over the last season suggests that will happen. Davis is questionable for Week 6 with a knee injury.

I'd give Bilal Powell for him...I'd throw in Winters too if they sent a 5th or 6th back to us with Davis...

If you can't fell, I wouldn't give up much. :)

You wouldn't give up much but would trade our backup running back and a back up guard for a tight end that the Jets don't need? Do you know what not much means?!

People need to understand that the "traditional TE" in Gailey's system is a blocker.

Davis and Cumberland (shockingly) have done that very well.  Our receiving options

(H-Backs) are on IR (Amaro) and the practice squad (Saxton) getting more seasoning

Cimini nailed it with his response to be fair. A great player in his prime, but it's past and wasn't as long as it should have been.

Fitz could do with a pass catching TE, but Davis would be a huge gamble even in the short term and not worth investing any potentially important cap space into.

I might take a risk on this if Davis came cheaply enough.  Normally I think of draft picks like the crown jewels but in this case I would send a late round pick for a two month rental.  I guess it might depend on how useful Chan Gailey thinks he might be and generally how close the FO feels that we are to making a run.  We may know more about that after the NE game.

We need Winters for depth.  I should have thought that much had been made clear 4 weeks into this season.

According to Jason La Canfora of CBS Sports, multiple teams have inquired about Vernon Davis' availability in a trade.

Davis is in the final year of his contract and unlikely to be a part of San Francisco's rebuilding movement. The Niners would only get a 2017 compensatory pick if Davis leaves in free agency, so there's some incentive to move him before the November 3 trade deadline.

Another TE available 

Jason La Canfora of CBS Sports reports teams are interested in trading for Jared Cook.

Cook still has two years left on his contract but all his guaranteed money has already been paid, so a team could feasibly move on from him this offseason without taking a cap hit. Lance Kendricks is under contract through 2018, which makes Cook expendable. The seven-year veteran has reeled in 15-of-27 targets this year for 169 yards and no touchdowns.

People need to understand that the "traditional TE" in Gailey's system is a blocker.

Davis and Cumberland (shockingly) have done that very well.  Our receiving options

(H-Backs) are on IR (Amaro) and the practice squad (Saxton) getting more seasoning

In order for a TE to be effective he must be able to block to be a mismatch for a safety, and run routes to mismatch a LB. Cumberland does both adequately, but no better.

Gailey's system adapts to his players. Enuwa creates a better matchup than Cumby, or Davis so we use that formation more often.  

I think Amaro would have helped us a lot. Would have been better in every way than Enuwa  

Archived