Interesting admission from Jets beat writer

GREENBEAN

Not that we all didn't have our suspicions and complaints, but this is interesting for me to see a Writer (Brian Costello of the Post) openly admit that the NY media found Rex to be an easy goat for them.

Easy stories for articles. 

For this staunch Rex supporter and apologist, it's one more reason I'm realizing just how much I really do like this new coach we have.

As a beat writer covering Rex Ryan, you learned certain techniques over time to get him to make headlines. One easy one every August when you were out of ideas was to ask Ryan if he thought the Jets’ defense could be the best in the league.

It worked every time. Ryan, of course, would predict the No. 1 defense in the NFL and you had a story for the day.

This August, I decided to try it out on new coach Todd Bowles, knowing the response would be quite different. I asked him if he sets statistical goals.

“No, I don’t,” Bowles said. “There are certain things we have to be good at. Statistical goals are a false lead.”

That did not quite make headlines. But that approach is working just fine for the Jets’ defense. Bowles may not care about the rankings, but the Jets’ defense is topping the charts like Taylor Swift.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the interesting thing is the bills owner hired rex and gave him a 5 year deal and made no secrets they wanted Rexy to help them get media attention, so costello and his cohorts helped make rex a national brand and he only needed one owner to buy it

Not that we all didn't have our suspicions and complaints, but this is interesting for me to see a Writer (Brian Costello of the Post) openly admit that the NY media found Rex to be an easy goat for them.

Easy stories for articles. 

For this staunch Rex supporter and apologist, it's one more reason I'm realizing just how much I really do like this new coach we have.

As a beat writer covering Rex Ryan, you learned certain techniques over time to get him to make headlines. One easy one every August when you were out of ideas was to ask Ryan if he thought the Jets’ defense could be the best in the league.

It worked every time. Ryan, of course, would predict the No. 1 defense in the NFL and you had a story for the day.

This August, I decided to try it out on new coach Todd Bowles, knowing the response would be quite different. I asked him if he sets statistical goals.

“No, I don’t,” Bowles said. “There are certain things we have to be good at. Statistical goals are a false lead.”

That did not quite make headlines. But that approach is working just fine for the Jets’ defense. Bowles may not care about the rankings, but the Jets’ defense is topping the charts like Taylor Swift.

But on paper REX's defense is outstanding????  I dont get it?

\

FUKK REX

More ashamed of the fan base than I am of the media here. We're supposed to be an intelligent market in NY, but far too many lapped up every idiot's delight soundbyte that Rex handed to the hacks. 

Such silly nonsense.  As if soundbites mean squadoosh other than providing a little additional entertainment. 

This team never won or lost because of a quote you dope.  Go ram your head into a wall.

Bowles has that Parcells  balance where he is never unhappy but still recognizes the effort and achievement of his players which hopefully should provide long term inspiration for the players to perform at a high level. Not going to get swept up in Bowles just yet, but not seeing any red flags so far with him either, except maybe a little bit of neglect of special teams importance.

Hey Pac.  You don't think guaranteeing victories and/or saying things about players or teams (ie. I don't know who such and such player is, etc., we own this town, etc.) does something to fire up the competitive juices of the other team?  Of course it does.  In a game where the margin between victory and defeat is tiny to begin with why give any team or player any motivation.  These guys are not robots and have enormous egos and pride.

Without question Rex's mouth hurt the team.  Heck, he admitted it after the Pats game earlier this year.  Team was too fired up...

It may be entertainment to you but it caused distractions and unneeded pressure to deal with...

My advice to Rex - shut up and coach.

More ashamed of the fan base than I am of the media here. We're supposed to be an intelligent market in NY, but far too many lapped up every idiot's delight soundbyte that Rex handed to the hacks. 

You have shamed us Tom. Can you forgive us? lol

Hey Pac.  You don't think guaranteeing victories and/or saying things about players or teams (ie. I don't know who such and such player is, etc., we own this town, etc.) does something to fire up the competitive juices of the other team?  Of course it does.  In a game where the margin between victory and defeat is tiny to begin with why give any team or player any motivation.  These guys are not robots and have enormous egos and pride.

Without question Rex's mouth hurt the team.  Heck, he admitted it after the Pats game earlier this year.  Team was too fired up...

It may be entertainment to you but it caused distractions and unneeded pressure to deal with...

My advice to Rex - shut up and coach.

The only Jet who ever guaranteed victory is also the most beloved player in team history.  Rex never guranteed a win.

and no..  I don't think a little talk is the reason the Giants won the Superbowl or the Pats beat us 100-0 on Monday night - just like I don't think it helped them with the most thrilling win I've ever witnessed in 30 years of watching the team in Foxboro.

The Pats hated the Jets long before Rex showed up and will hate them long after.  Brady wants to beat us by 600 points on Sunday.  If Bowles said something fresh in a press conference does that mean he now wants to win by 605?

+1 One of Rex's biggest flaws was he sounded like a Fan something you shouldn't never do as a HC..:)

The only Jet who ever guaranteed victory is also the most beloved player in team history.  Rex never guranteed a win.

and no..  I don't think a little talk is the reason the Giants won the Superbowl or the Pats beat us 100-0 on Monday night - just like I don't think it helped them with the most thrilling win I've ever witnessed in 30 years of watching the team in Foxboro.

The Pats hated the Jets long before Rex showed up and will hate them long after.  Brady wants to beat us by 600 points on Sunday.  If Bowles said something fresh in a press conference does that mean he now wants to win by 605?

It's different when you actually back up your guarantees.  

Don't you remember the little comment Belichick uttered about our defense as he was walking off the field.  You think Rex's comments didn't matter to him.  You think the NY Giants weren't a little extra motivated because of Rex claiming in his book that the Jets owned NYC...even thought the Giants had rings and we had nothing.

It's OK to like Rex (or love him for that matter) but you gotta admit...the guys mouth is an enormous problem.  Doesn't help his teams.

It's different when you actually back up your guarantees.  

Don't you remember the little comment Belichick uttered about our defense as he was walking off the field.  You think Rex's comments didn't matter to him.  You think the NY Giants weren't a little extra motivated because of Rex claiming in his book that the Jets owned NYC...even thought the Giants had rings and we had nothing.

It's OK to like Rex (or love him for that matter) but you gotta admit...the guys mouth is an enormous problem.  Doesn't help his teams.

it didn't seem to be a problem while he was at the helm of a greater run of Jet prosperity than anything I had witnessed in the prior 25 years of watching them.

in fact if anything his bombastic approach helped.

it didn't seem to be a problem while he was at the helm of a greater run of Jet prosperity than anything I had witnessed in the prior 25 years of watching them.

If 0 trophies of any kind and 4 straight years of finishing with -90+ net points is your idea of "prosperity" I don't want to live on this planet with you anymore.  Stop defending him, it's over now, you lost the war.

If 0 trophies of any kind and 4 straight years of finishing with -90+ net points is your idea of "prosperity" I don't want to live on this planet with you anymore.  Stop defending him, it's over now, you lost the war.

meanwhile you have been fellating Ryan friggin Fitzpatrick since February and he's never even had a winning season.

Such silly nonsense.  As if soundbites mean squadoosh other than providing a little additional entertainment. 

This team never won or lost because of a quote you dope.  Go ram your head into a wall.

So you call someone a dope for thinking we lost because of his talking, then a few posts later claim his talking helped us win? 

meanwhile you have been fellating Ryan friggin Fitzpatrick since February and he's never even had a winning season.

We've already won as many games this year than your boy Rex won all of last season.  You've also defended scrubs like Chad Pennington and Mark Sanchez for years.  Your argument is invalid in so many ways.

We've already won as many games this year than your boy Rex won all of last season.  You've also defended scrubs like Chad Pennington and Mark Sanchez for years.  Your argument is invalid in so many ways.

My track record speaks for itself.  My accuracy rate is about 95.6%.

Archived