chris johnson

kmnj

damn to think we had him and ivory at the same time-it is easy to say now but damn wish we kept this guy especially with ivory hurting -never saw it coming so not placing blame on our gam but damn this guy looks GREAT in AZ-where was he last year -not a good reflection our offensive system last year

damn to think we had him and ivory at the same time-it is easy to say now but damn wish we kept this guy especially with ivory hurting -never saw it coming so not placing blame on our gam but damn this guy looks GREAT in AZ-where was he last year -not a good reflection our offensive system last year

Does no one remember the feast or famine life Chris Johnson provides? Big runs one week, then the next three weeks he's a shadow of that. That was the knock from Tenn fans when we signed him and it was the knock last season. No thanks

Good for Johnson.  What this really illustrates is how bad Mornhinweg/Ryan used the combination

of Ivory & Johnson last year.  We just need Ivory, Powell & Ridley to be available and our running

game will be fine

I like Chris Ivory as much as the next Jets fan but really, how can anyone not have seen this coming?  The book on Ivory at the time of the trade was that he gets dinged up a lot and that has been our experience every year since he has been here.  How is it a surprise that he got injured on a harmless looking play on Sunday?

Johnson was done.

Meh. Most of his yards last night came because someone let him go on purpose on one play, thinking the play was dead. He also had a 24 year TD (good). That leaves 44 yards on the remaining 16 carries. So one play that put 7 on the board, one that should have been a dead play because a defender heard a whistle in his head that wasn't there, and the rest of the game he was getting under 3 ypc just like the prior week. Point being with a player like this, an "average" ypc north of 4 is misleading since he's south of that on most carries. Not to mention Fitz doesn't exactly stretch the D as effectively as Palmer.

That's not to say Johnson is useless. But picking up his option wasn't the same as Arizona signing him later on the cheap in mid-August after no one else showed interest for 6 months. He wasn't free (his Jets contract called for nearly double what Arizona is paying him) and was hardly special for us last year either. More like a few carries that were teases in between a bunch of meh. Plus he was a total moody sh*t when he wasn't getting carries:

"[Still splitting carries with Ivory] chafed Johnson, who told ESPN.com in late October, "This is the first time I've ever felt this type of frustration, but there's nothing I can really do about it right now."

Oh yeah, and he thought he wanted to quit the game. His current "maturity" didn't come until after getting shot after we dumped him. Totally reasonable to not pick up his option (i.e. cut) back in February and there were RBs we were looking at in the draft (pre-combine February was a bit early for a new, career-scout GM to more or less plan on passing on any/all of them until late rounds at the earliest by having 2 starter-money RBs already).

4.3 average with the Jets last season. I did not like the idea of cutting him. Powell and Ivory are hurt. Anyway no one makes all the right decisions.

we cut Johnson to save cap space he actually performed well for us last year.  850 combined yards for a second running back is actually quite good.  The problem was we didn't replace him.  Stevan Ridley is terrible and Stacy and Powell are mediocre at best.

Good for Johnson.  What this really illustrates is how bad Mornhinweg/Ryan used the combination

of Ivory & Johnson last year.  We just need Ivory, Powell & Ridley to be available and our running

game will be fine

we had a retarded qb plus no secondary last season.  Ivory/Johnson and MM's play calling had little to do with the season going to S.

we cut Johnson to save cap space he actually performed well for us last year.  850 combined yards for a second running back is actually quite good.  The problem was we didn't replace him.  Stevan Ridley is terrible and Stacy and Powell are mediocre at best.

Johnson was a miserable prick who complained to the media about his lack of starting+carries. 

The 2 reasons he seems like such a wonderful teammate right now is because he's starting and getting the overwhelming bulk of the carries. He still wouldn't get that here, he'd still be complaining despite Ivory's breakout season, and he may still be without his "wakeup" moment of getting non-fatally shot, which he alleges knocked (shot) some sense into him.

Further, color me unmoved that one defender on Baltimore - who had him stopped, mind you - let go on purpose for no reason other than pure stupidity. It was this boneheaded move that meant Johnson "averaged" 6.8 ypc instead of 3.7 ypc on the day.

He did not play real well for us and was taking carries from Ivory.  Letting him go was the right move.

Johnson was a miserable prick who complained to the media about his lack of starting+carries. 

The 2 reasons he seems like such a wonderful teammate right now is because he's starting and getting the overwhelming bulk of the carries. He still wouldn't get that here, he'd still be complaining despite Ivory's breakout season, and he may still be without his "wakeup" moment of getting non-fatally shot, which he alleges knocked (shot) some sense into him.

Further, color me unmoved that one defender on Baltimore - who had him stopped, mind you - let go on purpose for no reason other than pure stupidity. It was this boneheaded move that meant Johnson "averaged" 6.8 ypc instead of 3.7 ypc on the day.

well if we're picking and choosing which plays count can I take away Victor Cruz sh-tting  on Kyle Wilson for a 90 yard td in 2011?

He did not play real well for us and was taking carries from Ivory.  Letting him go was the right move.

it wasn't that it was the wrong move we just didn't get another good back.  The Giants can get Orleans Darkwa off the street and he's productive for them meanwhile we're waiting for Stevan friggin Ridley.

I like Chris Ivory as much as the next Jets fan but really, how can anyone not have seen this coming?  The book on Ivory at the time of the trade was that he gets dinged up a lot and that has been our experience every year since he has been here.  How is it a surprise that he got injured on a harmless looking play on Sunday?

Johnson was done.

Ivory does get hurt all the time, but I don't think he got injured on Sunday.  He has been nursing that hamstring for quite some time.  Was this supposed to be new?

Ivory does get hurt all the time, but I don't think he got injured on Sunday.  He has been nursing that hamstring for quite some time.  Was this supposed to be new?

given the way he terrorized Washington I saw no evidence of "nursing" and yes, he has been frequently dinged up for us.

well if we're picking and choosing which plays count can I take away Victor Cruz sh-tting  on Kyle Wilson for a 90 yard td in 2011?

No. If Kyle Wilson was literally standing there because he didn't know the play had snapped, or if he had Cruz tackled for a 4 yard gain but just decided to let him go before the whistle blew, then my answer would be yes.

Just saying a guy making a great play is not the same as another who ended up with a great gain because someone else decided to let him go on purpose.

Archived