Is it fair to judge Geno Smith on this one game?

EM31

Funny how the deep ball was supposed to be his best trait, but where he seemed to do the best work was on the intermediary throws to Decker.  Granted, the Raiders were playing a soft zone by then, but you still have to be able to make the throws look good, and he did. 

I've been duped by Geno before (first half of the Packers game last year, for instance), however, and I once thought Sanchez had "turned the corner" based on one game.  So I won't be getting too excited about the prospects of a full Geno game.  I'll just be hoping for the best. 

OMFG, deep balls are suppose to be a high arc.  the idiocy here is unreal

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's the line I love....if not for those bonehead plays he would have had a good game.  Really? He always makes bonehead plays that's why he sucks.  I've seen enough in this clowns body of work to know without a doubt he is not the answer.. Stop holding onto a hope that just isn't there.  Petty has a chance, but not yet.  I'll cheer Geno on if it's him but we are done if it is.  That's my 2 cents ......I hope I'm wrong.

If you're going to quote what I said, atleast use the entire statement. 

below is what I said. 

If not for 3 or 4 bonehead decisions by Geno I have to say he had a good game. But with those I have to say that he was just "okay". 

Funny how the deep ball was supposed to be his best trait, but where he seemed to do the best work was on the intermediary throws to Decker.  Granted, the Raiders were playing a soft zone by then, but you still have to be able to make the throws look good, and he did. 

I've been duped by Geno before (first half of the Packers game last year, for instance), however, and I once thought Sanchez had "turned the corner" based on one game.  So I won't be getting too excited about the prospects of a full Geno game.  I'll just be hoping for the best. 

Geno's best trait wasnt his deep ball. What I assume was being stated is that Geno can add the dimension of the deep ball to the offense, something that Fitzpatrick cant do. Also, yesterday who was the Jets deep threat on offense? Smith was inactive yesterday. So the Jets played to their strengths which was the intermediate game. 

So the 3-3 Raider games a game to lose, the other .500 teams we play we should win.  So blame this one on Geno because it fits your starry and don't credit him if he beats another .500 team later.  So NDs fair to me. 

Who said I blaming this one solely on Geno? The awful tackling played a huge part I'd say. This was a topic about whether we can judge if Geno can play or not. He can't and we all know this. I have no story or agenda. If Geno stops making dumb decisions and wins I will be all about him.

Geno will survive and win next week then hopefully Fitz will be back against buffalo. 

Edit: AND the raiders aren't just a 3-3 team. They're playing some of the best football in the league right now.

After a loss like that there is not one player that can criticize anyone else, including Geno. Hell, Geno could say this morning he has no confidence in the defense to get the offense the ball. It was that ugly.

Who said I blaming this one solely on Geno? The awful tackling played a huge part I'd say. This was a topic about whether we can judge if Geno can play or not. He can't and we all know this. I have no story or agenda. If Geno stops making dumb decisions and wins I will be all about him.

Geno will survive and win next week then hopefully Fitz will be back against buffalo.

All I'm saying you've already got excuses if Geno plays well.  

And we all don't know if he can play or not yet.  But if after a week of prep to start he plays well you don't get to say it doesn't count because of the opposition. That's all

we beat oak w/ geno if the D even plays mediocre instead of awful.

Yup. And if you really think about it, scoring wise the Jets seemed not to miss a beat with Fitz down and Geno running things. The Jets scored 20 points yesterday, which should have been 27 points if Marshall didnt drop the TD, or 34 points if Marshall could have kept the defender from contesting at the high point before half time and pulling that pass in. 

Have no idea what game many of you watched.  No game action since last Dec and he was thrust into the worst game the defense has played in years.  He had a couple boneheaded decisions at the end of the game because he was trying to make something happen down by 14 with 3 minutes left..  a point that is seemingly lost on most of you.

I for one was pretty impressed with what I saw outside of 2 plays and even after those mistakes he came back and made the throws to complete drives.  I think a lot of you are magnifying every mistake to ridiculous levels to try and support your narrative.  265 65% and 2 TD's with zero snaps since August is pretty damn good.  I'm excited for next week..  you're all crazy.

I'm one of Smith's biggest detractors but I feel this is pretty spot on.

He may well be too football and life stupid to be long term successful, but I'd like to see some more after he's had a chance to work with the 1st team.

If the rest of the teams we play this year watch the Oakland film, which they will, and see how easily some good run blocking can take down our defensive line and throw away from Revis - we're going to give up a lot more points this season and will need a QB that can drive the ball down the field to win games.

Yup. And if you really think about it, scoring wise the Jets seemed not to miss a beat with Fitz down and Geno running things. The Jets scored 20 points yesterday, which should have been 27 points if Marshall didnt drop the TD, or 34 points if Marshall could have kept the defender from contesting at the high point before half time and pulling that pass in. 

Outside of the 2 sacks I thought he played very well.  Those were terrible decisions at a tough time but his back was against the wall in a tough spot.  I will judge him the same way I judged Fitz when he starts next week.  Allw e heard about was Fitz's TOs didn't kill us well geno's didn't hurt us yesterday and he only had one.  I am very happy w/ his play overall based on the circumstances.  he will need to get better but most important is that D needs to get going again.

Outside of the 2 sacks I thought he played very well.  Those were terrible decisions at a tough time but his back was against the wall in a tough spot.  I will judge him the same way I judged Fitz when he starts next week.  Allw e heard about was Fitz's TOs didn't kill us well geno's didn't hurt us yesterday and he only had one.  I am very happy w/ his play overall based on the circumstances.  he will need to get better but most important is that D needs to get going again.

it's hard to judge a QB when his team puts him in a deep hole and he's playing desperately.  Honestly I kept waiting for the backbreaking INT at the end of the game.  

it's hard to judge a QB when his team puts him in a deep hole and he's playing desperately.  Honestly I kept waiting for the backbreaking INT at the end of the game.  

it was hard to throw, I know Oak's pass D is suspect but when they know you have to throw every down it makes it easy for them and he did a good job not turning it over outside of the one ball to Marshall.

For me, here are the reasons I think Geno sucks and has no hope of being a successful QB in the NFL.

1.  His footwork.  For some reason (maybe ego, maybe stupidity), Geno still throws most of his passes off his back foot.

2.  Lack of pocket confidence.  Instead of stepping up or otherwise shifting position (see Drew Brees, Eli or Brady as examples of guys who get the strategy) for  within the pocket to avoid pressure, Geno takes off running or gets sacked.

3.  Finally, and this is a massive one, Geno just can't read defenses well, which causes him to throw a ridiculous number of INTs.   After three years of play, study and tutelage, the light is as dim as ever.  Not acceptable for a respectable NFL QB.

The problem yesterday was that we could not play defense and we definitely could not run the ball.  This team is not built for Fitz or Geno to throw the ball 40 plus times.  When you get into that range then problems will happen.   

Have no idea what game many of you watched.  No game action since last Dec and he was thrust into the worst game the defense has played in years.  He had a couple boneheaded decisions at the end of the game because he was trying to make something happen down by 14 with 3 minutes left..  a point that is seemingly lost on most of you.

I for one was pretty impressed with what I saw outside of 2 plays and even after those mistakes he came back and made the throws to complete drives.  I think a lot of you are magnifying every mistake to ridiculous levels to try and support your narrative.  265 65% and 2 TD's with zero snaps since August is pretty damn good.  I'm excited for next week..  you're all crazy.

Pretty fair assessment considering the down time on the bench.  I mean hell he came in cold and did better than Vick ever did coming off the bench cold did for us. I know it's not saying much but thrusting a QB into a blowout on the back end of the most horrid defensive effort this year is never ideal.  Plus I think Fits going down gave the whole team an "oh no" moment and Raiders were ready to jump on it and put us away.   Crazy knee jerk reaction to go get some QB for too much money and draft picks is not the move.  We have to let Geno play a couple games and if its bad we may need to see what we have in the kid.  I no, I no we must wait.  No, we must know I thinks. 

Its not a problem if you judge him from what you saw yesterday and I think @EM31 is right. Geno made some bonehead decisions late in the game. He was also rusty to start throwing the ball twice into double coverage, however, when he settled in the kid did some damage. 

Geno began his day with the game halfway down the toilet bowl given the defense and on the offensive side of the ball we couldnt get the running game together. The only way the Jets was able to move the ball was by Geno Smith moving them down the field. 

With that said, he completed 65% of his passes for 265 yards, had a long of 30 yards and threw 2 TD's and an INT with 1 TD dropped that hit Marshall square in the stomach as well as another TD that though was contested Marshall should had pulled in. Those numbers are very "Fitzpatrick-esque" 

Where Geno went south was when he had to improvise. That 30 yard scramble was great, but he forgot to take the yards and get out of bounds and instead gets blown up by a defender for no f'ing reason. It wasnt like he was near the endzone. Then of course after getting hit like that he was second-guessing himself to scramble again and when flushed out of the pocket instead of throwing the ball away he takes two totally unnecessary sacks. 

Geno Smith showed that he could move the offense through the air and without a running game to support him. He unfortunately also showed that he's not too bright when improvising. We could also say the same thing for Fitz though. The reason why he tore ligaments in his hand is because he decided not to slide and take the yards but instead fought for more and put himself at risk. 

Perfect example imo of how Geno's stupidity is put under a magnifying glass and blown up to overshadow his production because we continue to hold on to prior years while Fitz stupidity is basically disregarded because his prior years didnt occur in a Jets jersey. 

If not for 3 or 4 bonehead decisions by Geno I have to say he had a good game. But with those I have to say that he was just "okay". 

Not sliding is obviously dumb but its not the same kind of dumb decisions Geno makes while in game action and deciding where to throw the ball . Not knowing what certain actions cause (getting sacked out of bounds and thinking the clock stops). Never ever stepping into the pocket, throwing off your back foot about 90 % of the time and bad over all feel for the game and the clock. Genos style of play will always catch up to him and yes we do have 2 years and 1 game sample size.

Fitz is by no means a stupid QB never has been. A lot of QB's forget to slide you see it all the time in the case yesterday its not like Fitz was rushing into a pack of Raiders he had one guy coming at him and he fell forward so lets not take  freak occurance and make it something more than it should be

Not sliding is obviously dumb but its not the same kind of dumb decisions Geno makes while in game action and deciding where to throw the ball . Not knowing what certain actions cause (getting sacked out of bounds and thinking the clock stops). Never ever stepping into the pocket, throwing off your back foot about 90 % of the time and bad over all feel for the game and the clock. Genos style of play will always catch up to him and yes we do have 2 years and 1 game sample size.

Fitz is by no means a stupid QB never has been. A lot of QB's forget to slide you see it all the time in the case yesterday its not like Fitz was rushing into a pack of Raiders he had one guy coming at him and he fell forward so lets not take  freak occurance and make it something more than it should be

this notion that Fitz is a smart QB comes from him having graduated from Harvard, that does not make him a smart QB.  Fitz and Geno have similar issues w/ regards to football smarts which is why they both turn it over at a high rate.

Is it fair?  No because since his injury he's not been getting the reps
to properly prepare.  BUT the initial sample yesterday wasn't encouraging,
I don't think these were coincidences:

- The OLine had pre-snap penalties

- The OLine "all of a sudden" gave up sacks

- Throws were rushed & pre-determined to certain players

- There was no sense of calm & stability at the QB position

Smith has all the "sexy" tangible skills you want (speed, arm strength,
mobility & ability to strike vertically).  The only thing we can hope
is he learned some of the "boring" skills Fitzpatrick displayed (using
cadence to decipher blitzes, using motion to determine zone/man, etc.)
and improves

and improves

we must have been watching different games. 

Geno is going to get the reps in practice this week. He's going to get a chance against a terrible football team at home. Let's see what he does against Jacksonville. I have a feeling the Jets will win in spite of him, because the Jags aren't great on defense. They are bad against the pass and the run. Run Ivory, Stacy and Ridley all day and keep Geno from losing the game. The game plan should be pretty simple and straightforward. Short, easy passes to receivers. Work the screen game. Need Mangold back in the worst way.

and improves

in other words, the offense functions better with fitz because the other players around him have more confidence in him and thus are more relaxed.  

You were impressed with his lack of awareness ? Were you impressed with him still not stepping up into the pocket and creating his own pressure by walking into where the OL was blocking the outside rushers ????????????????????????????????????????????

Do you realize why QB should step up into the pocket ? Fitz does it all the time, something we have not seen here in years. Geno almost NEVER does it. Did you check out his slingshot delivery ?? Its slow and its not changing . Good arm does NOT equal quick release. For instance Fitz has a weak arm but a very quick release do you know what that means in the short passing game ?? It means everything

Did you notice him throwing to his first read damn near everytime ??? What in the hell were you watching to say he impressed ??

Did you see him constantly throwing off his back foot ?? Sure his arm can make up for that occasionally but in the real world it makes the ball sail on you and we saw that for 2 freakin years and we saw it yesterday.

Geno is going to get the reps in practice this week. He's going to get a chance against a terrible football team at home. Let's see what he does against Jacksonville. I have a feeling the Jets will win in spite of him, because the Jags aren't great on defense. They are bad against the pass and the run. Run Ivory, Stacy and Ridley all day and keep Geno from losing the game. The game plan should be pretty simple and straightforward. Short, easy passes to receivers. Work the screen game. Need Mangold back in the worst way.

We better run the ball and keep that Jaguar offense off the field because with Geno at the helm what we have is a crappy offense

and improves

Hard to say the OL issues are because of Geno given Mangold was out and Ivory isn't right.  Two of those sacks were stupid decisions to try and make a play instead of throwing the ball away.  Otherwise it's one sack, hardly indictive of anything. 

You were impressed with his lack of awareness ? Were you impressed with him still not stepping up into the pocket and creating his own pressure by walking into where the OL was blocking the outside rushers ????????????????????????????????????????????

Do you realize why QB should step up into the pocket ? Fitz does it all the time, something we have not seen here in years. Geno almost NEVER does it. Did you check out his slingshot delivery ?? Its slow and its not changing . Good arm does NOT equal quick release. For instance Fitz has a weak arm but a very quick release do you know what that means in the short passing game ?? It means everything

Did you notice him throwing to his first read damn near everytime ??? What in the hell were you watching to say he impressed ??

Did you see him constantly throwing off his back foot ?? Sure his arm can make up for that occasionally but in the real world it makes the ball sail on you and we saw that for 2 freakin years and we saw it yesterday.

one thing was clear watching yesterday's game, that fitz is way better than geno in his decision making.  fitz goes thru his reads and runs when he sees the play isn't happening.  geno sits there (when he doesn't throw the ball in triple coverage to the guy he decided he'd throw it to before the snap) and looks like he doesn't know what to do with the ball, and then when he decides to bail on the play (several seconds after fitz would) it's too late.

this notion that Fitz is a smart QB comes from him having graduated from Harvard, that does not make him a smart QB.  Fitz and Geno have similar issues w/ regards to football smarts which is why they both turn it over at a high rate.

please stop it has nothing to do with Harvard fitz did a damn good job leading this offense and to compare him and Idiot Geno is totally ridiculous

one thing was clear watching yesterday's game, that fitz is way better than geno in his decision making.  fitz goes thru his reads and runs when he sees the play isn't happening.  geno sits there (when he doesn't throw the ball in triple coverage to the guy he decided he'd throw it to before the snap) and looks like he doesn't know what to do with the ball, and then when he decides to bail on the play (several seconds after fitz would) it's too late.

Exactly

One of Geno's biggest flaws (and it happens to most young QB's) is his lack of ability to navigate in the pocket . If his first read is not there he turns and runs right into the pressure on the outside (where the tackles are pushing the pressure) he does it all the time rather than just stepping up. He plays the game like he's afraid to get hit and once you get into that habit you are Done as a QB in the NFL. Its obvious to me he does not like to step up and play the game in close quarters inside the pocket combine that with all his other flaws and no speed or strong arm will ever make up for that.

You'd never see Fitz take two sacks like Geno did yesterday when all he had to do was throw the ball away.

please stop it has nothing to do with Harvard fitz did a damn good job leading this offense and to compare him and Idiot Geno is totally ridiculous

Fitz was doing ok, he wasn't setting the world on fire like you guys pretend he was.  he wasn't the difference in any of our games.  He was making bad decisions every week.  he is NOT a smart QB.  he has guts(which got him hurt) and his teammates love him.  It sucks he got hurt but that was predictable, we knew that would happen at some point.  Now we must all rally around Geno.

You'd never see Fitz take two sacks like Geno did yesterday when all he had to do was throw the ball away.

those sacks were bad in a game that was really out of hand and we had little chance to come back in.  w/ fitz he probably tries to force it downfield and gets picked off.  either way we lose.  keep in mind Marshall was off the field for those plays, that's kind of a big deal.

Archived