2016 Mets Thread!

adb280z

Well this team is battling Collins trademark his good feature but they so far just do not have enough consistency and talent to make a run for a hot streak- hopefully they will make me eat my words

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Adam RubinESPN Staff Writer 

rubin_adam_m.jpg

Here is the Mets lineup for Sunday's 1:10 p.m. ET series finale at Detroit: Granderson, RF De Aza, CF Walker, 2B Bruce, DH Loney, 1B Conforto, LF D'Arnaud, C Johnson, 3B Reynolds, SS DeGrom, RHP

4 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

No problem with that call last night. Two outs and the play requires a perfect throw and a perfect play at the plate. Hats off to Detroit, the Mets made the right call and the Tigers just made a great play on it.

Yep. It was good to actually see us hit in that situation for a change.  Just have to keep plugging away and hope we ctch a hot streak and some health along the way.

Bruce is a presence in the line-up. (Lucroy also doing well with 3 HR's for Texas already). 

This guy doing the play by play on SNY is a tough listen though....wow!.

Mets SS prospect Gavin Cecchini provided four hits Saturday in a win for Triple-A Las Vegas.
He singled three times, doubled and scored twice as the 51s held on for a 10-8 win over visiting Fresno. Saturday was Cecchini's fourth straight multi-hit game and his second four-hit contest of the year. He's hit .500 during his six-game hitting streak while boosting his average from .309 to .324. The 2012 first-round pick doesn't have much left to prove in the minor leagues. It's possible we could see him in the majors next month when rosters expand. Aug 7 - 4:04 PM
Source: MILB.com

I've liked how Reynolds has handled himself although not enough AB's to form too much of an opinion yet. Good to see we have other options on the way.

It's a shame DeGrom's win-total isn't going to be higher. He should be pushing himself into Cy consideration with this run he's been on since late June. Guy's posted a 1.69 ERA since AS break, the Mets are 6-2 since June 25 when he's been on the mound and in one of those losses he went 7 innings with no earned runs. Not to mention a 1-hit CG shutout a few weeks back. He's as dominant as anyone in baseball right now.

I only own one piece of autographed baseball memorabilia, one is of course my favorite player ever Pete Rose, the other player, a New York Met, is Bud Harrelson.

13900284_10206670785440858_2240788827956

Is anyone else here old enough to remember the classic brawl they got into back in '73 in the NLCS game? I think they got over it.

bd2af420f3187538fdf2054fa6deb2cd.jpg 

1 hour ago, billybroome said:

Is anyone else here old enough to remember the classic brawl they got into back in '73 in the NLCS game? I think they got over it.

I remember it well.  I was a 12 year old kid sitting in the stands at Shea Stadium that afternoon.  My first postseason game: Mets won big, Staub went deep and the Rose-Harrelson fight.  Thanks for bringing back the memory.

10 hours ago, billybroome said:

I only own one piece of autographed baseball memorabilia, one is of course my favorite player ever Pete Rose, the other player, a New York Met, is Bud Harrelson.

13900284_10206670785440858_2240788827956

bd2af420f3187538fdf2054fa6deb2cd.jpg 

My pops was at that game. Right after that the fans start pouring down debris onto the field when Rose went back out to left and it got bad. My dad said that Mays and Yogi and someone else (I think McGraw) walked out and told everyone to stop and as soon as the crowd saw who it was they did immediately.

Fast forward about 20-25 years and we're in Rose's restaurant in Boca. I'm an early teen and this is when Rose used to be at the restaurant once or twice a week to sign autographs and get people in. My dad and I walk up and he's smiling, real nice, (I still have the photo somewhere), and then my dad tells him he was at the Harrelson game. 

I sh*t you not, his face goes dead cold serious and he has a straight up scowl, and asks "WERE YOU OUT IN LEFT FIELD?" 

Real funny sh*t. My dad still tells that story to this day. Such a punchline two decades later to being at that game.

2 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

My pops was at that game. Right after that the fans start pouring down debris onto the field when Rose went back out to left and it got bad. My dad said that Mays and Yogi and someone else (I think McGraw) walked out and told everyone to stop and as soon as the crowd saw who it was they did immediately.

Fast forward about 20-25 years and we're in Rose's restaurant in Boca. I'm an early teen and this is when Rose used to be at the restaurant once or twice a week to sign autographs and get people in. My dad and I walk up and he's smiling, real nice, (I still have the photo somewhere), and then my dad tells him he was at the Harrelson game. 

I sh*t you not, his face goes dead cold serious and he has a straight up scowl, and asks "WERE YOU OUT IN LEFT FIELD?" 

Real funny sh*t. My dad still tells that story to this day. Such a punchline two decades later to being at that game.

Great story bro!!

2 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

^funny addendum to that, my dad and his friend slept outside for ticketsboth said people were getting bombed  and hopdetrimental the fence into the stadium throughout the night and peeing on the field. What a different time in sports. 

As for baseball, i think it was a better time. Players played most if not all of their years with the same team, nobody was juiced on PEDs, and most of all pitchers in both leagues had to man up, pick up a bat and take some swings at the plate. I'm really old school when it comes to baseball. I feel the DH has been detrimental to the game.

21 hours ago, Lith said:

I remember it well.  I was a 12 year old kid sitting in the stands at Shea Stadium that afternoon.  My first postseason game: Mets won big, Staub went deep and the Rose-Harrelson fight.  Thanks for bringing back the memory.

That was the series where Felix Millan (who I loved) had that huge error in game 1 which in hindsight probably cost us the series.

Bullpen this time....same old story as the L's pile up.

Ty Kelly pinch hitting for d'Arnaud. Wow. Hopefully that wakes his ass up and/or he gets pissed off.

d'ARNAUD seems to me like the kind of guy you have to piss off...get him angry. Get some adrenaline pumping. 

I think he's been a disappointment.

8 minutes ago, Lith said:

About time.  The Mets shouldn't be folding the tent yet, but at the same time, we need to see what some of these youngsters can do with the big club in order to properly evaluate what bigger decisions need to come this offseason.

1 minute ago, JiF said:

The double steal last night was the most lol this is the Mets year I can remember so far.  Followed by a triple.  lmfao

I missed it -- decided to watch the Olympics instead (good decision it turns out).  What happened?

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

About time.  The Mets shouldn't be folding the tent yet, but at the same time, we need to see what some of these youngsters can do with the big club in order to properly evaluate what bigger decisions need to come this offseason.

I agree. The guys we are putting out there have not been getting it done -- been 42-48 since May 1.  May as well send the kid out at 3rd base for these last 2 months and see what he can do. 

Just now, Lith said:

I missed it -- decided to watch the Olympics instead (good decision it turns out).  What happened?

Walker hits a 2 run bomb to take the lead in the bottom of the 6th (that guy has been caring this team offensively).  Very next inning Robles on the mound, gives up a double.  Get a strike out, then a walk.   Runners on 1st and 2nd.  They ******* send a double steal. d'Arnaud doesnt even make a throw.  In fact, he looks to throw to 2nd.  Nobody was covering.  The play was clearly at 3rd because the runner wasnt half way there and there was coverage on 3rd.  Instead, he stands and holds the ball.  Runners on 2nd and 3rd - Robles gets a strike out.  Next batter, triple.  Dbacks take a 4-3 lead.  Then a single scores another run, 5-3...then Collins makes a pitching change.  Game over.

1 minute ago, JiF said:

Walker hits a 2 run bomb to take the lead in the bottom of the 6th (that guy has been caring this team offensively).  Very next inning Robles on the mound, gives up a double.  Get a strike out, then a walk.   Runners on 1st and 2nd.  They ******* send a double steal. d'Arnaud doesnt even make a throw.  In fact, he looks to throw to 2nd.  Nobody was covering.  The play was clearly at 3rd because the runner wasnt half way there and there was coverage on 3rd.  Instead, he stands and holds the ball.  Runners on 2nd and 3rd - Robles gets a strike out.  Next batter, triple.  Dbacks take a 4-3 lead.  Then a single scores another run, 5-3...then Collins makes a pitching change.  Game over.

Thanks.  I don't understand why team don't run on us every chance they get.  Between d'Arnaud behind the plate and a pitching staff that seems to be incapable of holding runners, teams should be stealing multiple bases on us every night.  A few teams have teams have taken advantage, but I am surprised 5-5 nights like last night have not happened more frequently.

2 minutes ago, Lith said:

Thanks.  I don't understand why team don't run on us every chance they get.  Between d'Arnaud behind the plate and a pitching staff that seems to be incapable of holding runners, teams should be stealing multiple bases on us every night.  A few teams have teams have taken advantage, but I am surprised 5-5 nights like last night have not happened more frequently.

It's unacceptable.  Flat out.  And its not even just about having 2 runners in scoring position.  It's also effect the pitchers, pitch choice.  Instead of being able to throw something in the dirt and get a better to chase, you're more conservative so you dont risk a passed ball.  I think it changes your approach all around.  Sucks man.  So gutless. 

1 hour ago, Lith said:

I think we're reaching a point where they have to give some thought to d'Arnaud learning how to play another position. The team has clearly lost confidence in his ability behind the plate based on the trade attempts and putting him on waivers yesterday. I still think he has the chance to be a good player based on his bat (and if he can stay healthy), but he's such a liability behind the plate. He calls a good game but the Mets' inability to hold runners has cost them a bunch of L's this year and that's almost solely on his shoulders. Maybe one day he can grow into being a better catcher, but that's not going to be any time soon and the Mets need someone now.

Three things:

One Collins has to start managing like he's in a pennant race, these pitchers need to be on a short leash, he left Robles in too long,  You know they wont fire him..

Two:  Shud trade Granderson and Tyler Pill for McCann

Three:  Shud sign Arod...Power RH off bench...

Archived