2016 Mets Thread!

adb280z

49 minutes ago, deucebag said:

Three things:

One Collins has to start managing like he's in a pennant race, these pitchers need to be on a short leash, he left Robles in too long,  You know they wont fire him..

Two:  Shud trade Granderson and Tyler Pill for McCann

Three:  Shud sign Arod...Power RH off bench...

What does it matter? Collins is a bad manager and our offense is putrid.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

L's are piling up like cars in the fog on the freeway...

Cock out of d'Arnaud, Grandy, and Wilmer.

d'Arnaud looks lost.

There's still fight in them, well some of them,  and miraculously they're still in the WC hunt....

Another night, another 3 SBs against, another 0 for with RISP, another scrub starter who looks like a Cy Young Award winner, another great effort by our starter wasted, another loss.  I don't know why I still watch.  Especially when it goes 12.

At least we have the Jets tonight.

The Las Vegas express continues to confuse the Mets FO. The exaggerated BA nos. of the PCL do not translate to MLB. So many of these guys in Vegas for several years now have huge numbers in LV and when they are called up can't hit even .200. The guy I'm most concerned with (and disappointed with) is Conforto. I though he had the skill set to be a consistent.300 hitter. But he's been exhibiting bad habits that I believed he was too good to fall into. I did hear a rumor that the Mets will try to leave LV next season and possibly go to Rochester. 

11 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

I did hear a rumor that the Mets will try to leave LV next season and possibly go to Rochester. 

I have heard the same thing.  Hopefully they can get something done because Rochester would make so much more sense than Vegas.

Mets general manager Sandy Alderson said that the team "always has an open mind" when asked about the possibility of claiming Carlos Gomez off waivers.

In a surprise move, the Astros designated Gomez for assignment earlier on Wednesday. He was hitting just .210/.272/.322 over 295 at-bats at the time, continuing a sudden career fade that began last season. The Mets have already brought back old friends Kelly Johnson, Jose Reyes, and Jon Niese this year and Gomez would also qualify, as he made his major league debut with the club before being traded to the Twins in the Johan Santana deal. Of course, the Mets nearly reacquired Gomez last July until the deal fell through. He would give New York much-needed depth in center field.

4 hours ago, Lith said:

Another night, another 3 SBs against, another 0 for with RISP, another scrub starter who looks like a Cy Young Award winner, another great effort by our starter wasted, another loss.  I don't know why I still watch.  Especially when it goes 12.

At least we have the Jets tonight.

It's cringe worthy at this point.  Last night, watching the Dbacks do things the Mets dont even try to do, like ever.  It was driving me crazy.  Bunts, steals...you know, baseball.

I mean for **** sake.  When Rivera got the hit to lead off the inning in extras, why not bunt him over?  d'Arnaud is terrible at the plate right now.  Just ******* move the guy to 2nd. It's ******* extra innings at home.  **** sake.  I just dont get it.   And I dont want to hear he cant bunt.  ******* bullsh*t.  It's ******* bunting.

And Grandy is done.  I dont know how many times I've watched him strike out with a runner on late in the game.  He had the one walk off before the All-star break and he's been absolutely atrocious in clutch situations all season long. 

ARRRRRGGGGGG

I wonder what percentage of innings the Mets do not score. Every time I watch them there's goose eggs. I'm wondering if Terry survives this. It's just all around bad baseball. You'd think the obvious choice to put a jump start into this team is Wally. But chances are if they make a managerial change Dick Scott would get the job. I'd be surprised if Sandy names Wally. 

36 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

I wonder what percentage of innings the Mets do not score. Every time I watch them there's goose eggs. I'm wondering if Terry survives this. It's just all around bad baseball. You'd think the obvious choice to put a jump start into this team is Wally. But chances are if they make a managerial change Dick Scott would get the job. I'd be surprised if Sandy names Wally. 

I read that Sandy has been planning on Dick Scott being Terry Collins replacement for years now....consequently at about 6pm this evening Dick Scott will be named the next Mets manager.

7 minutes ago, deucebag said:

I read that Sandy has been planning on Dick Scott being Terry Collins replacement for years now....consequently at about 6pm this evening Dick Scott will be named the next Mets manager.

At least Terry got that extra years salary to enjoy his retirement with.

Nice guy, poor manager.

If you want to kick start this team in mid August you bring in Wally not Scott. But the players on this team once again show they can't hit big league pitching. We know they can hit minor league pitching. Except for last year's offensive spurt it's been the same thing, an anemic offense for several years esp since getting rid of Beltran. But at least the org tried to significantly upgrade it by re-signing Cespedes, trading for Walker after Murphy left and trading for Bruce. Some of their younger players in 2016 just haven't come through like Travis and like Conforto.

Completely agree about Wally. Bring in a guy that's going to get in the faces of everyone, and make it a tryout. If he can turn it around and get them a WC spot he can keep the job in 2017. Just stop waiting already. All this team does is wait this year. No sense of urgency from the front office or players whatsoever.

4 hours ago, deucebag said:

7:10. Nothing yet. Link?

1 hour ago, JohnJ said:

7:10. Nothing yet. Link?

Dangit! I am not psychic after all.  

It blows my mind that Collins basically admitted in his PC that the team was unmotivated - yet he keeps his job?

• Why is Conforto up - he should have been the one sent down and Nimmo shud be the everyday CF. 
  • Curtis Granderson shud do the noble  thing and retire along with David Wright
  • Have we not seen enough of Ty Kelly?
  • D'Arnaud should be sent to Las Vegas (not that I am eager to see Plawecki back)
  • If the Mets are 5 or more GB of the WC by Sep 1st, Syndergaard, deGrom, Matz and Familia should be shut down for the remainder of the season. 

6 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

If you want to kick start this team in mid August you bring in Wally not Scott. But the players on this team once again show they can't hit big league pitching. We know they can hit minor league pitching. Except for last year's offensive spurt it's been the same thing, an anemic offense for several years esp since getting rid of Beltran. But at least the org tried to significantly upgrade it by re-signing Cespedes, trading for Walker after Murphy left and trading for Bruce. Some of their younger players in 2016 just haven't come through like Travis and like Conforto.

Yep. Travis and Conforto really lengthened the line-up last season down the stretch. Throw in Duda and Curtis actually hitting and that's  4 bats that the team  has gotten nothing out of for the most part  this year. Never mind Cespedes, Wright, Reyes and Cabrerra being out on top of it.

Terry can't fix guys not hitting or being on the DL. The SP's also (due to minor or major injuries) have fell off except for deGrom and Colon. I think the team has one run left in them but they're sure digging a hole for themselves.

Good for Terry in calling them out publically.

8 minutes ago, GimmeShelter said:

Yep. Travis and Conforto really lengthened the line-up last season down the stretch. Throw in Duda and Curtis actually hitting and that's  4 bats that the team  has gotten nothing out of for the most part  this year. Never mind Cespedes, Wright, Reyes and Cabrerra being out on top of it.

Terry can't fix guys not hitting or being on the DL. The SP's also (due to minor or major injuries) have fell off except for deGrom and Colon. I think the team has one run left in them but they're sure digging a hole for themselves.

Sometimes with managers esp guys who have been with a team for years you need a new voice to motivate them. The players just don't listen to a manager sometimes after years of hearing the same things over and over again. Even if they like the guy. You might need a Wally type to shake things up even temporarily. If it doesn't work out you can go to Scott. 

24 minutes ago, GimmeShelter said:

79bb8226054d3b254d3389ff8c9fe534.png

48 minutes ago, deucebag said:

Dangit! I am not psychic after all.  

• Why is Conforto up - he should have been the one sent down and Nimmo shud be the everyday CF. 
  • Curtis Granderson shud do the noble  thing and retire along with David Wright
  • Have we not seen enough of Ty Kelly?
  • D'Arnaud should be sent to Las Vegas (not that I am eager to see Plawecki back)
  • If the Mets are 5 or more GB of the WC by Sep 1st, Syndergaard, deGrom, Matz and Familia should be shut down for the remainder of the season. 

Apparently not

None of that has anything to do with Terry

Damn near everyday the roster is different. Sandy making Terry the scapegoat is not gonna happen imo. I doubt any other manger could have made a difference with the roster Terry has had to work with. Including some rah rah guy that might get blood out of a stone, or something, with some of these guys.

Guys like Grandy, d'Arnaud, Wilmer, Reynolds, Conforto, De Aza....They're not quitting or laying down. They're just not getting it done, It's on them. Then Sandy, before it's on Terry.

1 hour ago, JohnJ said:

Apparently not

None of that has anything to do with Terry

Damn near everyday the roster is different. Sandy making Terry the scapegoat is not gonna happen imo. I doubt any other manger could have made a difference with the roster Terry has had to work with. Including some rah rah guy that might get blood out of a stone, or something, with some of these guys.

Guys like Grandy, d'Arnaud, Wilmer, Reynolds, Conforto, De Aza....They're not quitting or laying down. They're just not getting it done, It's on them. Then Sandy, before it's on Terry.

I totally disagree, attitude and performance are very much linked...these guys have no fire in them, there is a big difference between trying and playing with ferocity and determination.  The Mets as a TEAM get deflated way too easily.

37 minutes ago, deucebag said:

I totally disagree, attitude and performance are very much linked...these guys have no fire in them, there is a big difference between trying and playing with ferocity and determination.  The Mets as a TEAM get deflated way too easily.

So then Terry forgot what he did last year with Grandy and d'Arnaud? 

Even yesterday I saw almost everybody on that bench in the game and cheering each other on. Losing in baseball looks bad inherently. It doesn't mean that the players aren't trying

Grandy isn't close to what he was last year. And d'Arnaud has sucked. I hate to say it because I thought we had something in him after last year. Terry isn't mis-handling him. Conforto has disappointed and come up short. So has Wilmer. Guys like Reynolds, Rivera, and De aza arent players anybody else is gonna make better

We never got to see what this team was supposed to be due to the injuries, on top of the injuries. We have a part Triple A and jouneyman roster right now. There's no magic buttons that the Manager doesn't know how to push.

We're just not good enough . The other teams are better

Well yesterday was the bottom of the barrel. Keith was kind of talking about this kind of thing with a team all throughout the game. We know that Travis can get hot and he is actually a good hitter for a catcher. As for throwing runners out that series was brutal on both catchers. Although the Mets tried to trade Travis (but for a better player) it would be difficult to give up on him just yet because there aren't too many catchers out there who can hit as good as him (when things are going right). I don't really see this team making a run for it. But there's not much else they can do except changing managers and that would only be to give them a jumpstart and to wake up the team. They didn't do it last year and after Sandy's late July deals the team kicked it in. So that's probably what they're hoping for now. 

Just in case the painful 2nd half hasn't stung enough:

Jonathan Lucroy went 3-for-5 with two homers and five RBI in the Rangers' 8-5 defeat of the Tigers.

Lucroy upped his season total to 19 homers, surpassing his career high of 18 from 2013. Six of those have come in the 10 games since he arrived in Texas. The Rangers are 6-2 in his eight starts thus far.

I stayed away from this team for a week, not having the time to watch full games. AsI watched each score ballon against them, I could not help but feel relief as the tortuous ride of this season is over.

Then as I look at the WC standings, I see that miraculously, they are still within 2 games. How incredibly parity ridden is the NL? 

And that line-up the mets threw out there yesterday. What was that?

Archived