2016 Mets Thread!

adb280z

45 minutes ago, GimmeShelter said:

I think it was Terry going nuts in his presser and then in the clubhouse after one of those bad losses to San Diego.

The turning point for this year is the same as last year. Cespedes. He plays, they score. He doesn't, they don't. The run they are on coincided directly with him coming back into the lineup.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
50 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

All the bitching we did about Granderson's salary, the guy might push 30 HR this year. 

I saw a stat today where his 45 RBI are the fewest for a 25 HR guy in the history of the game.  Although if he keeps up the hot hitting through September (and into October), all is forgiven.  Looks like getting him out of the leadoff spot has really helped him out.

Just now, Lith said:

I saw a stat today where his 45 RBI are the fewest for a 25 HR guy in the history of the game.  Although if he keeps up the hot hitting through September (and into October), all is forgiven.  Looks like getting him out of the leadoff spot has really helped him out.

That's not surprising at all. Was just saying the other day how almost every homer of his seems to be a solo shot.

4 hours ago, GimmeShelter said:

Good to see Grande hitting finally.  Flores has his up and downs but I like his bat in the line-up over Loney.

Reyes was a great signing that I thought was a bad move at the time.

This may be the best Wilmer has looked yet....looks like he's confident and he's being aggressive.

Day off tomorrow is not a bad thing for Ces, Cabrera, Jose, et. al.

Gotta keep hitting in support of the young guys, and old guy lol, on the pitching staff

Rockies handed the game to the Giants yesterday with some sloppy play.

But tonight they walked off the Giants down two in the bottom of the 9th. :D

1/2 game separates the three teams now...... and down the stretch they come.....wowza

Three teams all knotted within 1 game but I have a feeling (for a change) that Mets fans aren't nearly as stressed out about it as the other two.  Not taking it for granted, but this team is just firing on all cylinders right now after seemingly playing with house money, and facing a taffy-soft schedule the rest of the way.  Just keep on truckin'.

One of the things that has been huge in this turnaround has been the ability to extend leads late.  They did it again yesterday.  3 run lead after 6, they get two on the Wilmer home run.  Then after the pen surrenders 3, Ces adds the RBI double.  We have had a few bad outings from the pen in this stretch, but those late add on runs have prevented them from costing us any games.

14-4 since Cespedes returned from the DL.  Much needed day off today, then gotta take 2 of 3 in Atlanta.  For today, Go Brewers!!!

52 minutes ago, faba said:

Jose has really been the catalyst - spark to this lineup- great to see him making the most of his second chance

Underrated part about Reyes sparking the team is it allowed them to move Grandy back in the lineup.  I don't think it is coincidence that he is getting his bat going now.

1 minute ago, Lith said:

Underrated part about Reyes sparking the team is it allowed them to move Grandy back in the lineup.  I don't think it is coincidence that he is getting his bat going now.

Agreed.  

Reyes signing definitely was a turning point.  He's brought a spark with the bat, in the field and his base running is still solid.  But ultimately, I think it's about getting Cespedes back in the line up and getting healthy.  Everything is different when he's around...the way you have to work through the line up changes and having Grandy in a position where he's seeing different pitches is definitely a huge reason why his bat is getting hot.

Also worth mentioning here, Strasburg shows that the Mets absolutely made the right call with Harvey last year, and so did Harvey with himself. The Nats took the complete opposite approach to Strasburg and it has yielded similar if not the same results. There's no right approach to this stuff. With how hard guys have to throw now, anything can happen with just one throw, and there's really no proof to show that Harvey wouldn't have had the same problems this year had he not pitched in the WS. And I actually like Strasburg and enjoy watching him pitch, but seeing what happened to him makes me feel a whole lot better about the Mets' decisions the past year. Welcome to the new era of power pitching, this is the new reality. 

10 hours ago, Lith said:

Brewers 12-5 over the Cardinals.  We are now ahead of St Louis in the WC standings,

30 minutes ago, faba said:

Well we finally have caught up- now continue that momentum with the Braves who we have to beat down

How great is this time of the year when your baseball team is playing meaningful games and Football is here!!!!!!!!!!!!!  ******* love it.  This is how it should be every year.

5 minutes ago, JiF said:

How great is this time of the year when your baseball team is playing meaningful games and Football is here!!!!!!!!!!!!!  ******* love it.  This is how it should be every year.

Just hoping the Jet bar here in Chicago will be able to have one set tuned to the Met game on Sunday afternoon.  If not, there is always my mlb tv app.

Archived