Brandon Marshall reveals he played with serious injury

Jetfan13

6_3858881.jpg
(Photo: Danny Wild, USA TODAY Sports)

Jets wide receiver Brandon Marshall had always been reluctant to discuss his injuries this past season. And for good reason: he was in the midst of enjoying a career year in his 10th pro season and didn’t want to give any opponents a competitive advantage while the team was pursuing a postseason berth.

Now, with their season over, Marshall feels he can be more open about how banged up he was.

Apparently, it was a lot.

“I had a high ankle sprain this year, and it put me down for four weeks,” Marshall said during his regular appearance on “Inside the NFL.”

It’s the kind of injury that usually takes players, especially at his position, off the field entirely for several weeks; but Marshall, despite being listed on several injury reports, did not miss a game this year for the Jets (10-6).

“I was able to go out there [and] still draw coverage because teams didn’t know what I could do. They didn’t know the severity of the injury. But, when you have an ankle at the wide receiver position, you’re pretty much dead in the water.”

Marshall gave no impression of being dead at any point in the season, in the process of the Jets’ banner year taking possession of the club’s single season touchdown record, becoming the first player in NFL history to have 1,000 yard seasons with four franchises, and, alongside Eric Decker, serving as one-half of the most successful single-season receiving tandem in the club’s history.

Marshall finished with 109 receptions for 1,502 yards, team records, and his 14 touchdowns tied the NFL lead among all receivers.

Marshall and Decker took an absolute pounding this year catching ducks from Fitz.  I don't see the two of them surviving another season like that.

I agree.  That is why we need players like Amaro, Enunwa, Thompkins and Smith to step up and take some of the pressure off.   

I agree.  That is why we need players like Amaro, Enunwa, Thompkins and Smith to step up and take some of the pressure off.   

amaro I think has a shot.  Tbh I wouldn't be upset if we went receiver or TE one injury to either Decker or Marshall we are 6-10 next season

This is why I laughed when folks said " but the Bills are so banged up" and "we played such an easy schedule". 

Well what do people think was happening to the Jets this year?  Almost all of their skill players were hurt for significant portions of time this year. All of them, including Ivory (he was hurt, he didn't practice much that week leading up to the game); and Powell as recently as the last game. 

Anyway what I love about this team is that they DID NOT use injuries or players being down as any kind of excuse for not winning games!!!!

it was pretty obvious during that one rough stretch that he wasn't healthy.

yea, except a week ago you were basically arguing with me that it wasn't

anyway, the guy was invaluable this year - if he gives us 2-3 more years close to this, he'll have to be considered one of the best trade acquisitions by us of all-time

yea, except a week ago you were basically arguing with me that it wasn't

anyway, the guy was invaluable this year - if he gives us 2-3 more years close to this, he'll have to be considered one of the best trade acquisitions by us of all-time

I was? what are you talking about?

the Jets should continue to draft wide outs. Despite BM's heroism he won't last forever. Decker isn't far behind. Enunwa is ok more of a TE and Kerley is gone. Who else is there? Devin Smith was terri-bad. 

Smith was terri-fied at the start of his playing time at WR

you love to make things up

and you love to lose arguments... you lost the argument it came up in, and now if you want you can lose the argument about whether it happened... or i can spare everyone the headache... and just point and laugh at you.

I'll do that.

and you love to lose arguments... you lost the argument it came up in, and now if you want you can lose the argument about whether it happened... or i can spare everyone the headache... and just point and laugh at you.

I'll do that.

you bore me.

the day I lose an argument to you is the day I officially give up on life.

This might be the saddest thing I've ever read.

I'm sorry that your life is measured in such smallness. 

it would be beyond humiliating if it was true, thankfully it is not. you are just someone who struggles w/ reading comprehension and makes things up when your weak arguments are being roasted.  what is worse is you follow me around posting little digs then you run and hide.

it would be beyond humiliating if it was true, thankfully it is not. you are just someone who struggles w/ reading comprehension and makes things up when your weak arguments are being roasted.  what is worse is you follow me around posting little digs then you run and hide.

You know so much about me. 

I guess that's why you prefer personal remarks about me, rather than talking about football. 

Quality stuff, as always.

You know so much about me. 

I guess that's why you prefer personal remarks about me, rather than talking about football. 

Quality stuff, as always.

you are the one that follows me around and takes shots at me then run and hide when I try to talk football.  I will be here if you would like to debate any topic.

Archived