Thank God the Broncos won!

Jetster

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Been a football Dad for ten years with both boys.  Youngest just finished senior year and oldest finished freshman year of college ball.  Opinion in that short time has changed here.  Parents, especially moms just don't see the value verses risk in the game anymore.  Lacrosse has become a major player here and I would say close to 35% of the kids here play both.  I also noticed that even the players at my sons school they are realizing how brutal playing in a D1 school is And some are opting out to go to school without a full time job at the same time.   Even BabyCrusher who was tackling my 150 pound Great Dane in the backyard when he was 3 has soured on it.  After two concussions, a 360 degree right shoulder labrum tear (18 month recovery), two severe high ankle sprains and a fracture rib that tore him up inside a touch all at the High School level is assessing the value of it.  He will probably probably continue playing because it's who and what he is, but I wouldn't be surprised if I'm taking my grandkids to Lacrosse, golf and baseball practice instead of football one day.  Sadly not gonna bother me as much as it would ten years ago when watching my "boys" play ball meant only one thing.  Football. 

i

The reason I played hoops > Football once I got to HS.  I watched both my brothers blow their knees out and never been the same athlete.  It impacted their ability to surf too.  I knew I had no future in Football, I was a toothpick and didnt want to get injured.  

Based on what we saw this weekend the Pats are on there way to another Super Bowl victory...

They'll beat the Broncos by 3 TD's...the only team that has any chance is the Panthers - and they don't seem ready yet.  Still a little immature of a team.

I am so F-in sick of this...I think for the first time I can remember, I doubt I'll watch the Super Bowl this year.   i can't sit there and watch the smug look on Brady's face anymore - it's just nauseating.

u will watch the Super Bowl 

Its also much more difficult to make the MLB or NBA. NFL ratings continue to rise as does participation in the states that have always provided the talent pool. Kids in New York playing quidditch instead of football will fire up the twitter echo chamber, but in reality has no impact on the game overall.

the risk is the anti football moms start increasing in lower economic groups. 

But out as long as there are poor people looking for ways to escape there will be football players.  It's a ticket out people think.

Not sure about 37-10, but the Pats will easily win this game.

Pats defense will embarrass Manning.

Looking at the AFC, there are really only two good teams...Pats and Steelers. When Steelers are heallty, it would be good game, but Pats are still better. Even though Steelers are really banged up, still think they would have been a much tougher opponent for Pats than Denver will be. Can see this like 38-13. Lay the points. Like taking candy from a baby.

The NFL is really terrible.  It's literally a joke.  If you actually break it down, the rules, the inconsistencies with discipline, the contradictions, the allowed systematic cheating, the complete and total reliance on one single position...its trash.  The once, "only true team game in all of sports" is gone.  It's all about one position.  QB. 

How is that fun? 

The NFL is really terrible.  It's literally a joke.  If you actually break it down, the rules, the inconsistencies with discipline, the contradictions, the allowed systematic cheating, the complete and total reliance on one single position...its trash.  The once, "only true team game in all of sports" is gone.  It's all about one position.  QB. 

How is that fun? 

Pretty damn good if you have one.

Totally sucks if you don't.

Let's be real here, as a Pats hater, there was no chance in hell that the Patriots would have lost at home. Having to win a playoff game on the road changes everything. Pats haven't won a road playoff game in 9 years.

Payton has to do some holistic healing & get that snap back in his arm. It will be much easier playing the Pats if Collins & Mayo are out it just leaves Hightower. Steelers LBs played out of their mind today. They have a lot more speed on D than the Patriots. Force Butler to have to cover Thomas, Pats have no answer for Sanders. If refs call Pats Oline for a few obvious holds, Broncos can beat them.

there's no chance they are losing at Denver.  despite Denver having the much more talented team this game comes down to the QBs and it's a huge mismatch.

there's no chance they are losing at Denver.  despite Denver having the much more talented team this game comes down to the QBs and it's a huge mismatch.

Peyton is going to go like, 15 of 30 for 140 yards and a pick 6.   Last game of his career, he does not have a High School arm, let alone an NFL.

Peyton is going to go like, 15 of 30 for 140 yards and a pick 6.   Last game of his career, he does not have a High School arm, let alone an NFL.

how Denver almost lost yesterday was amazing.  the game and this season have been spoon fed for peyton.  Denver will need D/STs scores(multiple) to win.

How is that fun? 

The cap and free agency was designed to create parity, yet everything just ended up shifting to the importance of the QB. Also helps having Belichick...who you can tell is just 20 steps ahead of everyone else.

Pretty damn good if you have one.

Totally sucks if you don't.

Meh, not really.  I'm a fan of the sport.  Put the team allegiance aside.  The product is watered down sh*t and a step away from the WWF.  It's the same boring story line, over and over again.

I have zero interest in AFC Championship and I"m a die hard Football fan because its the same thing over and over again.  

The problem is, the NFL doesnt care about die-hard fans.  They care about the casual fan and getting the casual fan more engaged.  This product is perfect for that.  It's not complex, is the same mindless redundant story lines that keeps reality TV popular but the actual sport, is fading away quickly.  The less you need to understand, the more simple the product, the easier it is to appeal to the masses.  Which is perfect for a team like NE where 90% of their fans didnt watch Football before 2001. 

The cap and free agency was designed to create parity, yet everything just ended up shifting to the importance of the QB. Also helps having Belichick...who you can tell is just 20 steps ahead of everyone else.

BB has been a blessing and a curse to this league. His lack of respect for the integrity of the game has created the Soap Opera that is the NFL.  The fact he's allowed to do it, makes it worse.  Is he a visionary or the ultimate cheater?  I think it the latter. 

But BB is the perfect example of why the league is terrible.  He was sh*t without Brady.  A HOF'er with him.  Again, all about one position and BB is a nobody without it. 

Meh, not really.  I'm a fan of the sport.  Put the team allegiance aside.  The product is watered down sh*t and a step away from the WWF.  It's the same boring story line, over and over again.

I have zero interest in AFC Championship and I"m a die hard Football fan because its the same thing over and over again.  

The problem is, the NFL doesnt care about die-hard fans.  They care about the casual fan and getting the casual fan more engaged.  This product is perfect for that.  It's not complex, is the same mindless redundant story lines that keeps reality TV popular but the actual sport, is fading away quickly.  The less you need to understand, the more simple the product, the easier it is to appeal to the masses.  Which is perfect for a team like NE where 90% of their fans didnt watch Football before 2001. 

BB has been a blessing and a curse to this league. His lack of respect for the integrity of the game has created the Soap Opera that is the NFL.  The fact he's allowed to do it, makes it worse.  Is he a visionary or the ultimate cheater?  I think it the latter. 

But BB is the perfect example of why the league is terrible.  He was sh*t without Brady.  A HOF'er with him.  Again, all about one position and BB is a nobody without it. 

Belichick was always a brilliant football mind(and still is). But having Brady playing QB for 16  years straight allows him to take a lot more chances than other teams.. He's so far ahead of everyone else. Watching Andy Reid bumble his way through the 4th qtr was so sad. How teams still punt the ball when losing in Foxboro boggles the mind. Too many chickensh*t coaches.

As far as the product? What else is there to watch? College football is the same teams over and over. The NBA FInals is going to be Cleveland vs SA/GS and it's only January. The NFL is still the best thing we have going and ratings somehow continue to get better. It's crazy.

Been a football Dad for ten years with both boys.  Youngest just finished senior year and oldest finished freshman year of college ball.  Opinion in that short time has changed here.  Parents, especially moms just don't see the value verses risk in the game anymore.  Lacrosse has become a major player here and I would say close to 35% of the kids here play both.  I also noticed that even the players at my sons school they are realizing how brutal playing in a D1 school is And some are opting out to go to school without a full time job at the same time.   Even BabyCrusher who was tackling my 150 pound Great Dane in the backyard when he was 3 has soured on it.  After two concussions, a 360 degree right shoulder labrum tear (18 month recovery), two severe high ankle sprains and a fracture rib that tore him up inside a touch all at the High School level is assessing the value of it.  He will probably probably continue playing because it's who and what he is, but I wouldn't be surprised if I'm taking my grandkids to Lacrosse, golf and baseball practice instead of football one day.  Sadly not gonna bother me as much as it would ten years ago when watching my "boys" play ball meant only one thing.  Football. 

i

Yeah, this is what my general observations have been and what I was trying to get at; that this is kind of the preliminary generation of a big downswing.

Belichick was always a brilliant football mind(and still is). But having Brady playing QB for 16  years straight allows him to take a lot more chances than other teams.. He's so far ahead of everyone else. Watching Andy Reid bumble his way through the 4th qtr was so sad. How teams still punt the ball when losing in Foxboro boggles the mind. Too many chickensh*t coaches.

I have no doubt BB is a brilliant Football mind but he will forever live in a tainted world in my eyes.  I will always question the validity his accomplishments.  And being a great Football mind doesnt always equate to a great HC.  He wasnt that before Brady. 

Agreed though, having a QB helps you take more chances but also helps you bridge the gap seasons too.  And way too many coaches are chicken sh*ts.  No doubt. 

we always hear about cheating w/ the Pats but what about the cheating yesterday by peyton?  intentionally giving himself up then getting back up.  play should have been ruled dead, they didn't score on that drive but it tilted field position and played a role in the win.

I have no doubt BB is a brilliant Football mind but he will forever live in a tainted world in my eyes.  I will always question the validity his accomplishments.  And being a great Football mind doesnt always equate to a great HC.  He wasnt that before Brady. 

Agreed though, having a QB helps you take more chances but also helps you bridge the gap seasons too.  And way too many coaches are chicken sh*ts.  No doubt. 

Which is why I kind of give Haslam some credit. At least he said **** it, lets try and do something different. It sucks to say, but a CHan Gailey offense is never going to consistently beat Belichick. We're still entirely too old school to compete with the Patriots imo...and it's more than them just having Brady and us not. The Pats literally have every single potential situation mapped out for each game and know exactly what they're going to do if it comes up. Most teams struggle to line up get a play off on the road.

As far as the product? What else is there to watch? College football is the same teams over and over. The NBA FInals is going to be Cleveland vs SA/GS and it's only January. The NFL is still the best thing we have going and ratings somehow continue to get better. It's crazy.

brilliant football mind? no doubt about it but that doesn't guarantee you can be a great HC.  w/o Brady he has been a mediocre/bad HC.  Brady stepping in allowed him to develop into a great coach but he'd be a DC somewhere today if Brady didn't resurrect that franchise and his HC career.

I'll be watching 1 more football game this year - the NFC championship, as it may have some potential to be interesting. That other game and the "super" bowl, I won't be watching. Would rather watch grass grow.

the AFC title game will be hard to watch, I despise both teams.

Brady vs Manning is pretty much the worst case scenario for me. 

1) It feels like the same sh*t for the better part of 15 years

2) My least favorite player (Manning) vs my least favorite coach. I can't root for either one of them, but one of them is going to pad their HOF credentials with another SP appearance. At least I could've rooted for the stoolers

puke

Aren't you the guy who wanted Peyton wearing green and white?

Let's be real here, as a Pats hater, there was no chance in hell that the Patriots would have lost at home. Having to win a playoff game on the road changes everything. Pats haven't won a road playoff game in 9 years.

Payton has to do some holistic healing & get that snap back in his arm. It will be much easier playing the Pats if Collins & Mayo are out it just leaves Hightower. Steelers LBs played out of their mind today. They have a lot more speed on D than the Patriots. Force Butler to have to cover Thomas, Pats have no answer for Sanders. If refs call Pats Oline for a few obvious holds, Broncos can beat them.

Peyton Manning messes his underwear when facing BB and Brady. NE wins this one easy 35-16. Manning has PROVEN he can't beat BB's defenses, he is inside Manning's head and knows his every tendency. Watch what happens when the Pats go up by eight or 10 and Manning gets hit hard one time. Lights out, the party's over.

Peyton Manning messes his underwear when facing BB and Brady. NE wins this one easy 35-16. Manning has PROVEN he can't beat BB's defenses, he is inside Manning's head and knows his every tendency. Watch what happens when the Pats go up by eight or 10 and Manning gets hit hard one time. Lights out, the party's over.

he does that in January in general.

Aren't you the guy who wanted Peyton wearing green and white?

yes instead of Denver absolutely. I hate Manning first and foremost cause he didn't come out in 97, also hate parcells for it as well. We've had to endure some of the worst QB play the league has ever seen since 99 while the guy we should've had has broken most NFL passing records. It's grotesque

Peyton Manning vs NE Patriots

Overall Manning is 5-11 vs the Patriots (12 of the 16 were regular season games in which Manning is 3-9 vs the Patriots.  4 of the 16 games were playoff games where Manning is 2-2 vs the Pats (1-2 as a Colt and 1-0 as a Bronco).  

As a Colt, Manning was 4-8 and as a Bronco, Manning is 1-3 vs Pats.  

So Manning has beaten Belichick defenses 50% of the time in the playoffs.  

Peyton Manning vs NE Patriots

Overall Manning is 5-11 vs the Patriots (12 of the 16 were regular season games in which Manning is 3-9 vs the Patriots.  4 of the 16 games were playoff games where Manning is 2-2 vs the Pats (1-2 as a Colt and 1-0 as a Bronco).  

As a Colt, Manning was 4-8 and as a Bronco, Manning is 1-3 vs Pats.  

So Manning has beaten Belichick defenses 50% of the time in the playoffs.  

every time they played Manning had the more talented team and the 2 postseason games he won:

2006 where Brady had Reche Caldwell and Jabar Gaffney as his main weapons(if manning was QBing that NE team they don't make the playoffs) and in 2013 where he outside of Edelman his leading receivers were 17 time concussion survivor Austin Collie and the great Michael Hoomanawanui.

it's not about beating BB D's, teams routinely are able to have success against BB D's in postseason, it's about holding Brady down.

Denver is built on defense now-Manning will have to use his knowledge to call plays that will work for them to win

This.  It's all about that D.  As long as Manning can take care of the ball and that OL can give him some time, they've got the play makers on the outside to get open. 

I think the biggest advantage going into this game is that the Broncos are starting to get CJ Anderson going.  He's been fantastic his last 3 games.  And the Pats, have zero running game.   It's completely non-existent.  Jackson is terrible.  It's actually sad watching him try to run.  And the Chiefs were running the ball reasonably well vs. the Pats.  I was actually very surprised they opted to throw the ball 50 times when they were getting solid 4-5 a carry, or so it seemed.  And if you remember the last meeting vs. the 2 teams, Anderson went off in Denver 115 yards, on 15 carries for 2 TD's.  Hillman was decent too.  Pats couldnt stop it. 

I think being one dimensional vs. the Broncos is tough sledding.  Especially in Denver, where Brady and BB have never won in the playoffs.  They've got the corners to lock you down and they've got speed at the LB'er position.  If they can somehow disrupt that passing game, I think the Broncos can win because the Pats cant run the ball at all. 

This.  It's all about that D.  As long as Manning can take care of the ball and that OL can give him some time, they've got the play makers on the outside to get open.

I think the biggest advantage going into this game is that the Broncos are starting to get CJ Anderson going.  He's been fantastic his last 3 games.  And the Pats, have zero running game.   It's completely non-existent.  Jackson is terrible.  It's actually sad watching him try to run.  And the Chiefs were running the ball reasonably well vs. the Pats.  I was actually very surprised they opted to throw the ball 50 times when they were getting solid 4-5 a carry, or so it seemed.  And if you remember the last meeting vs. the 2 teams, Anderson went off in Denver 115 yards, on 15 carries for 2 TD's.  Hillman was decent too.  Pats couldnt stop it.

I think being one dimensional vs. the Broncos is tough sledding.  Especially in Denver, where Brady and BB have never won in the playoffs.  They've got the corners to lock you down and they've got speed at the LB'er position.  If they can somehow disrupt that passing game, I think the Broncos can win because the Pats cant run the ball at all.

I just do not think you can be totally one dimensional and win against a solid defense-whether that comes Sunday or the Super Bowl pats are going down

Archived