Bowles: “I Think we Need Help Everywhere”

JetNation

Todd Bowles

By Glenn Naughton

The NFL combine is under way and as usual, Head Coaches and General Mangers are taking the time to field questions from the media regarding the futures of their respective franchises.

Today was the day for Jets Head Coach Todd Bowles and General Manager Mike Maccagnan to speak and they addressed an array of questions.   Bowles was candid when asking which areas the team needs to address via free agency and the draft.

“I think we need help everywhere” said Bowles.  “We had a lot of positions that played well, but we need to upgrade at the same time. We know we’re an older team and we want to get younger at almost every position, and we’ll try and do that.”

For more on comments from Bowles and Maccagnan at today’s combine, click here.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
JhWyowngL3U

Click here to read the full story...

The title of this thread really says it all. Bowles is right the Jets really do have needs all over the place. To think we're going to fix them all in one offseason is ridiculous. So prioritizing will be key and reaching for any need over something else will be a mortal sin. The silver lining to this is that they don't have to reach for any one player. They can let all the talent, namely BAP, come to them. With increased picks from a Mo trade? This draft could become a coup for the team for a long time to come. 

31 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

Gotta love Jets fan logic....

Jets: We need to get better everywhere.

Popular fan suggestion: Trade the best under 30 player on the roster, that'll do it. We'll label is prioritizing and hopefully get a linebacker out of it.

So you'd rather go with the flipside of that coin? Gotta love that Jet fan logic........ Pay Mo the same or more than what JJ Watt is getting and starve the rest of the team of talent because they can't afford it. The offense finally started to resemble something other than complete sh*t, especially our fledgling and very fragile offense. It just finally started to look respectable after 4 years of embarrassment and now you want to deprive it of being able to develop further?

The DL is our only area where we have more than enough talent. We cannot possibly pay Mo what he wants because his demands are unreasonable. We also have a NT that we need to resign and already have two other blue chipper DL that could develop into very nice players if they haven't already. Trading Mo is the best and ONLY option available to this team.

7 minutes ago, Mainejet said:

So you'd rather go with the flipside of that coin? Gotta love that Jet fan logic........ Pay Mo the same or more than what JJ Watt is getting and starve the rest of the team of talent because they can't afford it. The offense finally started to resemble something other than complete sh*t, especially our fledgling and very fragile offense. It just finally started to look respectable after 4 years of embarrassment and now you want to deprive it of being able to develop further?

The DL is our only area where we have more than enough talent. We cannot possibly pay Mo what he wants because his demands are unreasonable. We also have a NT that we need to resign and already have two other blue chipper DL that could develop into very nice players if they haven't already. Trading Mo is the best and ONLY option available to this team.

Absolutely and without a doubt. The Jets should only be losing Wilkerson to land a QB, anything else is nonsense. Imaginary cap ramifications from internet fans who, generally speaking, don't like paying anybody do not phase!

There's no such thing as more than enough talent, anywhere, and the Jets don't really have that anyway. They can definitely pay Wilkerson, and most definitely should. The NT isn't a priority resign, and 1 of the other 2 DL you're speaking of is a FA after next year and already talking Suh money - actually unreasonable demands rather than made up unreasonable demands. Trading Mo is only an option because it has to be considered an option, it's barely a top 3 option for this team.

9 minutes ago, Freemanm said:

I'm probably reading way too much into this but I was slightly surprised when he mentioned Dee Milliner is in the mix for a potentially starting CB role and that Bowles thinks he's a good player. The rest really wasn't all that surprising. 

Milliner's been a good player when he's on the field, the issue has been his health. He's got Asante Samuel-esque upside if he can stick on the field.

I'm actually surprised how much credit and optimism the third round CB from that draft gets over Milliner. I'm taking a shot in the dark but not really - that probably comes down to price more than anything else.

2 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

Absolutely and without a doubt. The Jets should only be losing Wilkerson to land a QB, anything else is nonsense. Imaginary cap ramifications from internet fans who, generally speaking, don't like paying anybody do not phase!

There's no such thing as more than enough talent, anywhere, and the Jets don't really have that anyway. They can definitely pay Wilkerson, and most definitely should. The NT isn't a priority resign, and 1 of the other 2 DL you're speaking of is a FA after next year and already talking Suh money - actually unreasonable demands rather than made up unreasonable demands. Trading Mo is only an option because it has to be considered an option, it's barely a top 3 option for this team.

Well, all I can say is thank god you're not running the team. If you were you'd be paying Mo 16 million a season and the Jets would have to make a lot more cuts to even afford such an albatross of a contract over the long haul. Meanwhile, the offense would never get better and we'd never win the SB.

2 minutes ago, Mainejet said:

Well, all I can say is thank god you're not running the team. If you were you'd be paying Mo 16 million a season and the Jets would have to make a lot more cuts to even afford such an albatross of a contract over the long haul. Meanwhile, the offense would never get better and we'd never win the SB.

Yeah, your overly dramatic and imaginary scenarios are still imaginary and over dramatic. You're the guy who wants to pay top dollar to an older player who isn't on the field half the time, not sure you should be lecturing anyone about payroll/cap flexibility or stagnation.

44 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

Yeah, your overly dramatic and imaginary scenarios are still imaginary and over dramatic. You're the guy who wants to pay top dollar to an older player who isn't on the field half the time, not sure you should be lecturing anyone about payroll/cap flexibility or stagnation.

You're absolutely nuts if you think paying Mo JJ Watt money is a worthwhile investment. He's not even close to what JJ Watt is and he simply is NOT worth that kind of money. And BTW, you'll NEVER get Mo with anything less than JJ Watt money, probably MORE. If the Jets have not been able to reach an agreement with Mo in the last two years, then they never will. And in this scenario? You are not in a any position to be lecturing about payroll either.

But in the end, what I am saying is what will happen. Unless some sudden miracle occurs, Mo is not taking anything short of an amount far exceeding his worth and therefore, the Jets will NOT resign him. From there they will trade him for probably a  few first day picks.

15 minutes ago, Mainejet said:

You're absolutely nuts if you think paying Mo JJ Watt money is a worthwhile investment. He's not even close to what JJ Watt is and he simply is NOT worth that kind of money. And BTW, you'll NEVER get Mo with anything less than JJ Watt money, probably MORE. If the Jets have not been able to reach an agreement with Mo in the last two years, then they never will. And in this scenario? You are not in a any position to be lecturing about payroll either.

But in the end, what I am saying is what will happen. Unless some sudden miracle occurs, Mo is not taking anything short of an amount far exceeding his worth and therefore, the Jets will NOT resign him. From there they will trade him for probably a  few first day picks.

The only person dropping a price is you and a few others on a forum, still not a thing. In the end, what you're saying is stuff you probably believe, the vast majority of which you're simply making up for your convenience.

2 hours ago, UpstateJetsGuru said:

If you can't get to the playoffs with a QB that throws 31 TD's in 15 starts and is a multiple AFC offensive player of the week, then you need a lot of help in other areas.

I'm just glad Bowles isn't impressed by padded stats against cream puff teams. He knows this team can't get by with smoke and mirrors long term

1 hour ago, SenorGato said:

Milliner's been a good player when he's on the field, the issue has been his health. He's got Asante Samuel-esque upside if he can stick on the field.

I generally agree, but t I was simply surprised that Bowles said that given that he didn't play Milliner at all last year, even when he came back and was healthy. If Bowles really thought Milliner is a viable starter, wouldn't he have developed Milliner a bit more by at least playing him in situational nickel and dime packages? I got the impression Bowles didn't play him because he's down on him.

2 hours ago, jetscrazey said:

Good tactic, can't talk too positively after a 10-6 season like they accomplished something.  Gotta keep pushing to get better.  Can't let any one position group rest on their laurels.

Subtle Articulation of Aspiring for CONSTANT improvement is the BEST DIPLOMACY.

As good as "we THINK we were," it wasn't GOOD ENOUGH to get into the dance. F@t Fŭck Yee-HaW DefensiveWhiz of Niagara would have been MORE THAN content with a 10-6 and Outside Looking In Record. Bowles is THE $hit that Stirs the Jets' Pot in the RIGHT direction and NEVER settles for mediocrity. 

1 hour ago, SenorGato said:

I'm actually surprised how much credit and optimism the third round CB from that draft gets over Milliner. I'm taking a shot in the dark but not really - that probably comes down to price more than anything else.

And when is that? The guy is never on the field. Even when he has been on the field, you're only boasting about a few games, maybe 4 at the most where he played well. Meanwhile, he's played how many games now?

Not to mention, when he came back to the team with a clean bill of health this season, he was still skipped over by the coaching staff in favor of UDFA's.

Yes, his issue is health and he sucks at it. He's more fragile than my 95 year old grandma.

There's no point in defending this guy. Everyone needs to face the facts. Dee Milliner is a colossal bust almost as bad as Vernon Gholston.

23 minutes ago, Mainejet said:

And when is that? The guy is never on the field. Even when he has been on the field, you're only boasting about a few games, maybe 4 at the most where he played well. Meanwhile, he's played how many games now?

a 3 Year Experienced Pro CB who will be 25 years old by the start of 2016 season who is 6'0" 200 lbs. w/ 3 Ints & 19 PDs, & 50 Solo Tckls in 21 CAREER games in addition to HAVE ALREADY EARNED:
  • NFL Defensive Rookie of the Month
    (December 2013)
  • AFC Defensive Player of the Week
    (Week 17, 2013)

The PROMISE & PHYSICAL POTENTIAL is there. No reason to cut bait until Rookie contract runs out. 

That stated, I'm not defending the arguments of whom you are criticizing. Kirk Lazarus is a moron. 

49 minutes ago, Freemanm said:

I generally agree, but t I was simply surprised that Bowles said that given that he didn't play Milliner at all last year, even when he came back and was healthy. If Bowles really thought Milliner is a viable starter, wouldn't he have developed Milliner a bit more by at least playing him in situational nickel and dime packages? I got the impression Bowles didn't play him because he's down on him.

I think Bowles offered enough explanation a while ago:

"We've got to see it on the field," Bowles said. "He's hustling. He's getting the rust off. Other guys have been playing since the spring, and they've been playing summer. So it's competitive. You're not just going to put a guy in there."

Bowles insisted Milliner has performed well in practice, so that hasn't been the problem. He's just stuck behind other players in what the Jets believe to be a deep pool of cornerbacks on the roster.

"He's practiced well. But the other guys have practiced well, as well," Bowles said. "So, the game plan we had last week, like I said, Dex [McDougle] was an inside guy, Walls had more experience doing some of the things we were doing, so we played

He's only 25 all season this year, plenty of time to make a career.

4 hours ago, Gas2No99 said:

a 3 Year Experienced Pro CB who will be 25 years old by the start of 2016 season who is 6'0" 200 lbs. w/ 3 Ints & 19 PDs, & 50 Solo Tckls in 21 CAREER games in addition to HAVE ALREADY EARNED:
  • NFL Defensive Rookie of the Month
    (December 2013)
  • AFC Defensive Player of the Week
    (Week 17, 2013)

The PROMISE & PHYSICAL POTENTIAL is there. No reason to cut bait until Rookie contract runs out. 

That stated, I'm not defending the arguments of whom you are criticizing. Kirk Lazarus is a moron. 

When was the last time Milliner played a meaningful defensive snap. If the coaching staff had any faith in him being a good player he wouldn't have been buried on the depth chart last season as the #7/8 CB. It won't matter because he'll be injured again soon enough. 

10 hours ago, Mainejet said:

I'm still looking for this elusive quote that Mo, or his agents, have ever mentioned JJ Watt money. Ever.

From my memory, it was Sheldon Richardson that advocated paying Mo JJ Watt money. No one else. 

How about "signing Mo to a reasonable contract commensurate with his abilities and importance to the team" as an option that IS available to this team?

You guys do realize that re-signing Wilkerson fills SEVERAL needs, not just one?

You let Wilk go you're losing a guy that can play any position on the defensive line effectively, including Nose Tackle.  He was showing the ability to do that before Snacks and Richardson arrived.

You trade him away and, say, opt to bring back Snacks, you're actually limiting what our defense can do.  And relying on Sheldon Richardson not to get in trouble, and having to hand him Wilkerson money after 2016 anyways.

Why create needs when you don't have to? 

5 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

You guys do realize that re-signing Wilkerson fills SEVERAL needs, not just one?

You let Wilk go you're losing a guy that can play any position on the defensive line effectively, including Nose Tackle.  He was showing the ability to do that before Snacks and Richardson arrived.

You trade him away and, say, opt to bring back Snacks, you're actually limiting what our defense can do.  And relying on Sheldon Richardson not to get in trouble, and having to hand him Wilkerson money after 2016 anyways.

Because money and stuff and make believe #'s and rumors hat he wants to be paid like JJ Watt.  duh

6 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

There were very few games where the Jets DL simply took over the game, and that was with Wilk, snacks, Richardson and Williams. There is a ton invested in that DL in money, and high draft picks. I question making a huge investment in a position that is not dominating.

Now, I ask, why is this line not dominating? I think its pretty simple, because the NFL is allowing mediocre OL'men to hold, tackle, mug, you name it, interior lineman without calling it.

If that was not going on, our DL would have been taking over almost every game we played. You cannot ignore that this is going on, and you have to adjust.

I love Wilk, and if we can get him at a reasonable price, I would love to get him, but we already have a lack of cap flexibility, which is a real thing no matter how much some want to ignore it, and we have real problems in other areas, and we still have a lot of talent on the DL.

26 minutes ago, BowlesMovement said:

There were very few games where the Jets DL simply took over the game, and that was with Wilk, snacks, Richardson and Williams. There is a ton invested in that DL in money, and high draft picks. I question making a huge investment in a position that is not dominating.

Now, I ask, why is this line not dominating? I think its pretty simple, because the NFL is allowing mediocre OL'men to hold, tackle, mug, you name it, interior lineman without calling it.

If that was not going on, our DL would have been taking over almost every game we played. You cannot ignore that this is going on, and you have to adjust.

I love Wilk, and if we can get him at a reasonable price, I would love to get him, but we already have a lack of cap flexibility, which is a real thing no matter how much some want to ignore it, and we have real problems in other areas, and we still have a lot of talent on the DL.

I agree that we shouldn't invest too heavily in the D-Line.  My solution is to trade Richardson after 2016 and let go of Snacks this year.

The reasoning behind moving Wilkerson is fundamentally flawed.  The argument is we need his money NOW and we need to trade him NOW to get a bunch of compensation.  No, we don't.  This is a long-term buildup for Macc and Bowles.  They've earned relatively long leashes after their success in Year 1.  Wilkerson needs to be a cornerstone piece of this team's future, along with Leonard Williams.  Snacks, not so much. 

Meanwhile, we can't afford to pay big money to Wilkerson AND Richardson, so if we're choosing between the 2, you have to choose Wilkerson.  Richardson is volatile and will be every bit as expensive as Wilkerson. I would of course like to keep Wilkerson, Richardson and Williams together, but that will likely not be possible.

9 hours ago, Mainejet said:

Not to mention, when he came back to the team with a clean bill of health this season, he was still skipped over by the coaching staff in favor of UDFA's.

Yes, his issue is health and he sucks at it. He's more fragile than my 95 year old grandma.

There's no point in defending this guy. Everyone needs to face the facts. Dee Milliner is a colossal bust almost as bad as Vernon Gholston.

1. That's the point. He's never healthy.

2. Bust for sure but not even close to Gholston due to effectiveness while playing and draft position. Gholston is arguably the biggest Jets draft bust EVER, and that is saying a lot. Milliner is not in that legacy

12 hours ago, SenorGato said:

Gotta love Jets fan logic....

Jets: We need to get better everywhere.

Popular fan suggestion: Trade the best under 30 player on the roster, that'll do it. We'll label is prioritizing and hopefully get a linebacker out of it.

lol, repped... 

1 hour ago, jamesr said:

I'm still looking for this elusive quote that Mo, or his agents, have ever mentioned JJ Watt money. Ever.

From my memory, it was Sheldon Richardson that advocated paying Mo JJ Watt money. No one else. 

How about "signing Mo to a reasonable contract commensurate with his abilities and importance to the team" as an option that IS available to this team?

No. It was mentioned many times in the press, but most of all we have (drumroll), TWO full years and TWO administrations, including one that had 50 million dollars at his disposal, and still NO ONE has managed to get him signed.

So regardless of what you haven't heard Mo's agents talk about, and there not going to BTW, it's time to do some "reading between the lines". It's time to figure out how you see this team going into the 2016 season. Mo doesn't care that he's getting franchised because he's going to get a one year contract for the kind of money he believes he's worth. But make no mistake about it, Mo is on crack if he thinks he's worth JJ Watt money. Now, with seasons gone by of attempting to sign and no dice, I say lets tag and trade him. We're NEVER going to sign him and it's better to get something for him.

Archived