Report: Jets "comfortable" starting Brent Qvale at either left or right tackle

BigRy56

5 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

The article says were 6 mil under the cap.  How?

Wasnt Cro making more than that and was cut with no penalty or dead money?

I think we were nearly $22m under the Cap after Cro let go but  $6m after the Wilkerson $15m Franchise Tag.

Hopefully the get a deal done and we're back to being $18 mil under the cap

Just now, 32EBoozer said:

I think we were nearly $22m under the Cap before the Wilkerson $15m Franchise Tag.

Hopefully the get a deal done and we're back to being $18 mil under the cap

DUH, thanks forgot we just committed 15 mil to Mo.

20 minutes ago, David Harris said:

I would call this a little  posturing to soften up brick or giaco

Seconded. 

Its quite obvious the Jets have offered Dbrick and Geno reduced contracts and are hoping they accept. Thats the only reason your reading this article at this time. 

13 hours ago, TheMagicRat said:

The thought of Qvale protecting our QB's blindside scares me. Here's hoping he takes a major leap forward this offseason. 

You should have that same scary thought with Brick protecting our QB's blindside. He has been a below average pass blocking tackle for a while now. Last year he was ranked #62 out of 76 or something like that. However one waives off the pinpoint accuracy of such a ranking, it's clear he was below average even with the added boost of a good pass blocking LG next to him and a QB who gets the ball out quickly. To say nothing of his run blocking, which has been a relative liability for most of his career. 

Good to see the FO - whatever their ultimate goal is (a pay cut or moving on altogether) - realizes that the team won't win jack squat with Brick starting all 16 games and taking up some $14-15M of our cap space in the process. It's one thing to have a below average starter; every team has them. It's another to have a below average starter eating up the cap space of someone top-5 at a position that commands premium-sized veteran contracts to begin with. If he was counting $4M, that's one thing because there's an extra $10M to compensate for his deficiencies by bulking up elsewhere. This is the worst of both: extremely high cost and extremely poor production.  

13 hours ago, Shockwave said:

Seconded. 

Its quite obvious the Jets have offered Dbrick and Geno reduced contracts and are hoping they accept. Thats the only reason your reading this article at this time. 

I don't know how obvious that is. Even the HC has said we need to get younger/faster/stronger/whatever. People assume he was primarily referring to the corners or the LB corps, when it could be he was primarily referring to the offensive tackles (but has enough class and sense to not name them outright). I sense he was talking about all of the above plus RB (youth is hardly the issue at WR/TE/DL/S). But as much as Ferguson and Mangold get lumped together, Mangold is still performing quite well even if he's not in his prime anymore. Ferguson and Breno both stink, no matter how much some fans are blind to the former's lousy past 2-3 seasons. 

Everything being done isn't just a ruse to keep a poorly-performing Ferguson at slightly less money. I do believe they badly want to move on from him. The question is whether they will pull the trigger now or wait until they sign or draft someone else first.

Regardless, you don't go to a player for a pay cut unless you know he's not pulling his weight and are prepared to move on if he calls your bluff and says no. So at least they realize Brick isn't anywhere close to what Brick was. 

At least if we do choose to start Qvale, at either position, it's doing so with a known quantity - he's been with the team long enough for a full evaluation, even if he does lack the in-game experience.

Will another team pay Brick $9m as a FA?  I doubt it.  

Will another team pay Fitz so much more than the $9m + incentives I think he's worth in FA that he will bolt?  I hope not but it's possible.  

I hope we find a trading partner for Mo.  I'd be happy with a 2nd plus the cap space.

I would have let Mo walk and garner a 2017 3rd round comp pick myself.  But hey, I love clarification.  Our off season depends heavily on this and ATM I can't imagine what Mac might have in mind.  Tanny was easy to read, Mac not so much.       

28 minutes ago, LIJetsFan said:

Will another team pay Brick $9m as a FA?  I doubt it.  

Will another team pay Fitz so much more than the $9m + incentives I think he's worth in FA that he will bolt?  I hope not but it's possible.  

I hope we find a trading partner for Mo.  I'd be happy with a 2nd plus the cap space.

I would have let Mo walk and garner a 2017 3rd round comp pick myself.  But hey, I love clarification.  Our off season depends heavily on this and ATM I can't imagine what Mac might have in mind.  Tanny was easy to read, Mac not so much.       

No

Archived