Bills making room for Cro? McKelvin released.

AFJF

Surprising move...I was sure Rex would've cut one of his offensive players to make room for Cro.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000641276/article/buffalo-bills-releasing-cornerback-leodis-mckelvin

Three days after releasing pass rusher Mario Williams, the Bills are waving goodbye to a longtime member of the secondary.

•  

The Bills released cornerback Leodis McKelvin, the team announced Friday. The move will save the Bills $3.9 million and bring the team roughly$13 million under the cap, per ESPN's Mike Rodak.

McKelvin makes for an interesting addition to the free-agency pool. The selection of available cornerbacks is shallow, meaning the 30-year-old defender is bound to draw interest.

McKelvin, 30, suffered through an injury-ravaged season, playing nine games after spending half the year on the team's non-football injury list with an ankle injury he suffered in 2014.

As the 11th overall pick of the 2008 draft, McKelvin started 60 games over eight seasons in Buffalo, with some of his finest work coming in 2013.

McKelvin's absence only solidifies the roles ofStephon Gilmore and second-year cover manRonald Darby in Buffalo's secondary. Nickell Robey will provide additional support amid whispers that coach Rex Ryan could be gearing up for a reunion with free-agent corner Antonio Cromartie.

McKelvin isn't a big deal anymore.  The real question I wonder is if Cromartie goes to Buffalo, who starts on the outside, and who sacrifices to play the slot?  I'm sure Gilmore and Darby both consider themselves starters on the outside, but if Cro comes, one of them has to shift to the slot, because we know Cro can't play the slot.  Someone could wind up being unhappy.

Jets may have the right to match anything Buffalo offers.

2 hours ago, jetscrazey said:

McKelvin isn't a big deal anymore.  The real question I wonder is if Cromartie goes to Buffalo, who starts on the outside, and who sacrifices to play the slot?  I'm sure Gilmore and Darby both consider themselves starters on the outside, but if Cro comes, one of them has to shift to the slot, because we know Cro can't play the slot.  Someone could wind up being unhappy.

Jets may have the right to match anything Buffalo offers.

Jmo.  Gilmore and Cromartie would be on the outside , with Darby in the slot.   

6 minutes ago, Raideraholic said:

Rex Ryan can , and that's why he would like to bring the 6'2 210 CB Cromartie to deal with the Jets size at Wr.   Much better matchup there .

I'll take those illegal 5 yard & automatic 1st down penalty calls against Cro ANY SUNDAY of the season. Marshall & Decker can out muscle Cro to draw the illegal contact/penalty every time all game long. Cro is a dead duck on an island as his Physical Athletic superiority diminishes and he has NEVER had proper CB technique to make up for his eroding talent. The freezing temps up in Buffalo won't help his arthritic hip either. 

2 minutes ago, Raideraholic said:

Jmo.  Gilmore and Cromartie would be on the outside , with Darby in the slot.   

I agree that is the more likely scenario, but at this point in time, Darby is BY FAR the superior CB compared to Cro at his current declining stage of his career. 

Subtraction by addition, if you ask me.

They only save $3.9m by cutting McKelvin, I don't see how giving Cro a contract helps at all, he'll cost at least that if not more.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, Raideraholic said:

Rex Ryan can , and that's why he would like to bring the 6'2 210 CB Cromartie to deal with the Jets size at Wr.   Much better matchup there .

Funny how a year ago you told me Cro sucks.  That he was done, couldnt cover anyone.

Now if he were to go to Buffalo he would magically go from not being able to cover anyone but able to cover one of the Jets WRs.  The same over the hill cb according to you is a much better matchup going up against one of, if not the, NFLs best tandem.

4 minutes ago, rex-n-effect said:

If Cro was injured again this year then just like his year in ARI he could have a really good year next year. I'd rather not see Rex get that kind of help next year (or ever).
But I agree that Rex likes his guys and Cro is one of his guys.

I think Cro has a hip problem that isn't going to go away. I think playing in the Northeast vs the arid desert may have factored into it hindering him more with us, than it did the prior year for the Cardinals.

Think about it. Playing for the Jets you are guaranteed 10 games in the northeast, 8 home games, 1 in Foxboro, 1 in Buffalo. If you have a creeky wheel that may be aggravated by damp, cold climate, then it's not ideal.

7 minutes ago, Freemanm said:

It would be a stupid move for the Bills to sign Cro. Why cut an aging corner in McK only to sign another aging corner in Cro at nearly twice the price? It doesn't make sense, but hey, it's Rex Ryan we're dealing with...

Good. Hope they do it.

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

Funny how a year ago you told me Cro sucks.  That he was done, couldnt cover anyone.

Now if he were to go to Buffalo he would magically go from not being able to cover anyone but able to cover one of the Jets WRs.  The same over the hill cb according to you is a much better matchup going up against one of, if not the, NFLs best tandem.

First off was I right what I said about Cro( you were the one saying he was great).   Where did I say  Cro was great in this thread.( show me where I claimed that in this thread)

Now why I said it makes sense for the Bills.   The Jets have tall Wr that like to take advantage of their size advantage against smaller Wr.  Cro at 6'2 210 is a very nice matchup versus the Jets Wr.( both big wr's)     Just like I said Keith McGill 6'3 215 40 ' vertical 33 1/4 arm length would have been a good matchup against the Jets Wr , for that same reason.  He has a big radius to throw over, and inaccurate passer like Fitzpatrick can't get away with letting Jets big Wr just go up and get it.  Neither Jet Wr have the speed to hurt him over the top.

1 hour ago, Raideraholic said:

First off was I right what I said about Cro( you were the one saying he was great).   Where did I say  Cro was great in this thread.( show me where I claimed that in this thread)

Now why I said it makes sense for the Bills.   The Jets have tall Wr that like to take advantage of their size advantage against smaller Wr.  Cro at 6'2 210 is a very nice matchup versus the Jets Wr.( both big wr's)     Just like I said Keith McGill 6'3 215 40 ' vertical 33 1/4 arm length would have been a good matchup against the Jets Wr , for that same reason.  He has a big radius to throw over, and inaccurate passer like Fitzpatrick can't get away with letting Jets big Wr just go up and get it.  Neither Jet Wr have the speed to hurt him over the top.

1.  Find a single post where I said he was great.  

2.  If he sucks, he still sucks at 6' 2".  Doesnt make him a nice matchup, makes it a matchup of a CB who sucks trying to cover a WR who doesnt.  

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

1.  Find a single post where I said he was great.  

2.  If he sucks, he still sucks at 6' 2".  Doesnt make him a nice matchup, makes it a matchup of a CB who sucks trying to cover a WR who doesnt.  

You said he was a top CB.   I was so far in front of revis signing- that it was very risky to sign a player on the wrong side of thirty- not so crazy anymore as a lot of people are agreeing with my assessment .( well I just was ahead of the curve on that one.

ryan Fitzpatrick is very inaccurate Qbthat his big Wr ( Decker, and Marshall) bail out his passes , as they outmuscle smaller Cbs for the football.    Cromartie being 6'2 210 can defend those passes pretty well.( size does matter). 

19 hours ago, Raideraholic said:

You said he was a top CB.   I was so far in front of revis signing- that it was very risky to sign a player on the wrong side of thirty- not so crazy anymore as a lot of people are agreeing with my assessment .( well I just was ahead of the curve on that one.

ryan Fitzpatrick is very inaccurate Qbthat his big Wr ( Decker, and Marshall) bail out his passes , as they outmuscle smaller Cbs for the football.    Cromartie being 6'2 210 can defend those passes pretty well.( size does matter). 

Find a post where I said top cb.  I said he was good the year before, made the probowl.  That Bowles apparently was good with the signing.  

You were so far ahead of what?  Revis IS a top QB.  If you want to pound your chest because he had two rough games after he was injured go for it.  Even with that hes a top 3 cb.  

You stick to the idiotic idea that Cro has any advantage against Marshall or Decker because hes tall and nothing more than tall.   

The only reason Mac signed Cro and Revis imo is because the owner told him to. Woody didn't like all of the negative publicity the team and esp he was getting for letting both of them go and going with unproven and cheaper options at CB in 2014 when they had cap space. Well both were unspectacular last year but Revis was smart enough to get plenty of guaranteed money. We are stuck with him. But hopefully he will have a better year in 2016 it could be he is still recovering from that injury.Even though he's beatable he's still an incredibly smart player and a leader on defense. But not worth 16 mil per season, it's a ridiculous salary. So after all of the spending last year we don't have much left to buy new players and pay our current guys who deserve new deals. Who knows Cro like when he went to Arizona could rebound and have a decent year. He was actually our best return guy in 2015. But as far as I'm concerned Rex can have him!

2 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

The only reason Mac signed Cro and Revis imo is because the owner told him to. Woody didn't like all of the negative publicity the team and esp he was getting for letting both of them go and going with unproven and cheaper options at CB in 2014 when they had cap space. Well both were unspectacular last year but Revis was smart enough to get plenty of guaranteed money. We are stuck with him. But hopefully he will have a better year in 2016 it could be he is still recovering from that injury.Even though he's beatable he's still an incredibly smart player and a leader on defense. But not worth 16 mil per season, it's a ridiculous salary. So after all of the spending last year we don't have much left to buy new players and pay our current guys who deserve new deals. Who knows Cro like when he went to Arizona could rebound and have a decent year. He was actually our best return guy in 2015. But as far as I'm concerned Rex can have him!

I doubt Woody told anyone to sign Cro.

We got all the pub we needed when we brought Revis back.  Cro was a stop gap in that there really wasnt any alternatives at that point and he was pretty solid for Bowles the year before in AZ

Woody actually hated Revis and his agents. It was very convenient for him to blame everything on Idzik who imo like Mac was just following orders. But was it worth 40 million bucks. As for Cro he was popular with some of the fan base. I don't believe Mac thought he was worthy of the deal he gave him because he wasn't and Mac isn't that incompetent. And like Idzik he cut him after an injury and a poor season.

4 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Woody actually hated Revis and his agents. It was very convenient for him to blame everything on Idzik who imo like Mac was just following orders. But was it worth 40 million bucks. As for Cro he was popular with some of the fan base. I don't believe Mac thought he was worthy of the deal he gave him because he wasn't and Mac isn't that incompetent. And like Idzik he cut him after an injury and a poor season.

And we have no proof that Woody hated Revis.  He might have been tired of having to deal with his agents and their demands but hating him is a far cry from that.

We assume too much when it comes to the business side.  I'm sure Woody and the FO knew what it would take to sign Revis and made the business decision to trade him.  Doesnt mean they hated him, means they thought they would be better off with the cap room and picks.  

Its a business.  Teams are allowed to offer what they feel a player is worth, players are allowed to ask for what they think they're worth.  Jets never made an offer, we dont know what they thought Revis was worth.  Revis' people thought he was worth more than he was being paid.  Ultimately Revis was right, he got what he was asking 

Just now, Jet Nut said:

And we have no proof that Woody hated Revis.  He might have been tired of having to deal with his agents and their demands but hating him is a far cry from that.

We assume too much when it comes to the business side.  I'm sure Woody and the FO knew what it would take to sign Revis and made the business decision to trade him.  Doesnt mean they hated him, means they thought they would be better off with the cap room and picks.  

You're right it's all speculation. But it's based on everything I've read about the situation. Last year Woody was getting trashed by everyone. He did what he had to to get the media and the fans off of his ass.

1 minute ago, Rangers9 said:

You're right it's all speculation. But it's based on everything I've read about the situation. Last year Woody was getting trashed by everyone. He did what he had to to get the media and the fans off of his ass.

Fans think/use owners as their whipping boys.  Teams make a bad move, blame the owner.  Teams bring in a popular player, owner wanted good press.  

Owners pay their GMs to make moves, may be consulted with before huge money is spent but they arent smart business people by thinking they know more than football people or making moves to appease fans first.  We needed a corner, badly.  The top corner was available and we got him.  

The Jets got rid of Revis following a serious injury and got great return for him in a trade with the Bucs. A deal which eventually led to the Bucs GM getting fired. Although he denies it you know Woody approved that trade. And what we heard at the time was that Woody couldn't stand Revis and his agents. And maybe that was even a condition for hiring a new GM: getting rid of Revis. Idzik was trying to build the secondary thru the draft. He did try to sign free agent corners in 2014 but the two guys he went after Davis and DRC signed with other teams. In 2014 nothing worked out for the Jets. Off the field or on it.

Archived