Ryan Fitzpatrick: MERGED

kelly

1 hour ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Wow. You're pretty abrasive For a Sunday morning.

It was easily the best and most exciting season of the last five years. The four previous seasons the Jets never had a hope or a shot and most of the games they went in knowing they didn't have a chance. At least in 2015, fans could be excited knowing they'd at least be competitive each and every game. As fans, we didn't have that those four previous seasons. But you know. I definitely should do more critical thinking. Clown. 

Wow, you tell me I lack math skills and call me abrasive?  If it wasn't Sunday and Fathers Day I would have really seen abrasive.  

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
31 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

0-7 is not a good start to the season.

The perplexing part is when some of our own fans predict an 0-7. And look for excuses for winning something NEP fans never do. They take their Ws and run with them. If they beat the Giants by one point because of a last second 54 yard FG by Gotkowski they don't rip their team and call them losers and say they were lucky to win. And try to find reasons they should have lost.. Most Jets fans loved last season and these guys do not represent the majority. There are no guarantees for 2016 but in terms of probability (basic math) our best chance of winning is with Fitz. The org knows this or they wouldn't be keeping the job open for him. 

11 hours ago, slats said:

Lol, yeah, let's compare guys like Revis and Wilkerson -who are each easily top five at their respective positions- to Ryan Fitzpatrick, who's only (weakly) arguably even a starting caliber QB. Let's completely ignore the competition he faced last year, the fact that he didn't play in bad weather until he crapped the bed in Buffalo, because, well, what? He actually started games? 

The entire league has spoken to the value of Ryan Fitzpatrick, and the silence is deafening. The NFL has named 31 QBs they prefer to start, with a few of them having competitions that don't bother to include Ryan Fitzpatrick, so I really feel zero need to make a list for you. The Browns, Broncos, and 49ers all passed on him, and no one else was expected to show interest. That's your boy's value to the league. Not as a starter. 

I hope he doesn't come back, too, but he will. And the team will still have a losing season. Signing him for a year as a starter is a complete waste. I understand the team wanting to sign him to a three year deal locking him up as a backup, though. He brings the leadership/intangibles that they'd like to rub off on the kids. That's his total value. Win/loss-wise, I really, honestly don't believe he's adds much -if anything at all- in 2016. 

Please stop making sense.  Please stop trying to change the minds of JETS fans who LOVE going 8-8 and getting a shltty draft pick.

Please stop using ALL other 31 teams lack of interest in FITZ  as evidence of no value for the journeyman.

Logic, reason and basic economics mean nothing to some JETS fans who simply want to be 8-8 for the NEXT 40 years. 

12 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

Please stop making sense.  Please stop trying to change the minds of JETS fans who LOVE going 8-8 and getting a shltty draft pick.

Please stop using ALL other 31 teams lack of interest in FITZ  as evidence of no value for the journeyman.

Logic, reason and basic economics mean nothing to some JETS fans who simply want to be 8-8 for the NEXT 40 years. 

Sense or nonsense. We went 10-6 last year not 8-8. Some people think you can build on this and not regress. And are positive about our teams chances for success this year. Not a doom and gloom and losing the first seven games of the season. As for Fitz he's not great but he's good with this offense and the players consider him their Qb and on the field leader. And that's half the battle. If a team is confident in themselves they have a foot up on opponents. Every game in the NFL is tough and each opponent. Do you think it's going to be easy to beat the Jags this season. Or even the Browns who were a lot better than their record showed last year. They have a lot of good players. There are no easy Ws. 

18 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Sense or nonsense. We went 10-6 last year not 8-8. Some people think you can build on this and not regress. And are positive about our teams chances for success this year. Not a doom and gloom and losing the first seven games of the season. As for Fitz he's not great but he's good with this offense and the players consider him their Qb and on the field leader. And that's half the battle. If a team is confident in themselves they have a foot up on opponents. Every game in the NFL is tough and each opponent. Do you think it's going to be easy to beat the Jags this season. Or even the Browns who were a lot better than their record showed last year. They have a lot of good players. There are no easy Ws. 

Sense.  And many of us are extremely positive about having success this season... based on the current roster.  

2 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

Sense.  And many of us are extremely positive about having success this season... based on the current roster.  

The players wouldn't agree with that. But according to you guys they don't know anything. 

3 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

The players wouldn't agree with that. But according to you guys they don't know anything. 

I've heard nothing to support that claim.  In fact there have been plenty of comments supporting Geno.  Please list a couple comments where players said they weren't confident in Geno.

Even Namath knows it Geno time.

8 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

I've heard nothing to support that claim.  In fact there have been plenty of comments supporting Geno.  Please list a couple comments where players said they weren't confident in Geno.

Even Namath knows it Geno time.

You must be joking. The players have made it very clear including Marshall, Decker and Revis they want Fitz back. We're talking current players not guys from 50 years ago. Get serious. 

16 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

You think the players and spectators to lose because your guy isn't signed?  Where do you get this from? 

6 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

You must be joking. The players have made it very clear including Marshall, Decker and Revis they want Fitz back. We're talking current players not guys from 50 years ago. Get serious. 

Not one single player has said they don't think they can win without Fitz.  You ask any player they will tell,you that they want Fitz back.

And if you ask them if they'll be fine with Geno they'll all say yes.  They'll all tell you how good Geno has looked, how confident they're in him.

some just focus on one side, helps their message.  You the one who needs to get serious 

57 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

That's why Fitz's 10 fluky wins on a soft schedule was a mirage - as Jaworski called it.

And Fitz couldn't beat Buffalo once. 

(except for when he played for them and faced the Jets)  :bwahaharoll:

12 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Not one single player has said they don't think they can win without Fitz.  You ask any player they will tell,you that they want Fitz back.

And if you ask them if they'll be fine with Geno they'll all say yes.  They'll all tell you how good Geno has looked, how confident they're in him.

some just focus on one side, helps their message.  You the one who needs to get serious 

Thanks for putting words in the players mouths. When they've said they want him back as starter. Why should they rip Geno. No reason for it. Same with Bowles and even Mac. They said Fitz is the starter. Get real. 

14 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Names of players the Jets are signing with that Fitzsavings they get to help win the Super Bowl. That was my original question to Slats. 

You can't be serious. Do you decline to get insurance because someone else can't predict the future malady that may not befall you in the upcoming insurance term? Do you spend all your life savings and max out on your credit cards after that, because you can't concretely name what you'll need beyond next year's fixed budget?

This is not a final do-or-die season for the Jets, where the team is about to enter a years of painful rebuilding if they don't win it all in 2016 so we might as well use up next year's cap this year. And if they were in such a position, then it's gross negligence to bank all that on Fitzpatrick in the first place.

Tell me this: why not offer 4 first round picks to move up for Goff? Or better yet, how about 3-4 first rounders for the upcoming 1 year of Brees? Can you "name" these alleged first round studs we're going to take with our upcoming 1st rounders? The logic is identically ludicrous. 

On 6/18/2016 at 10:42 AM, Warfish said:

There is no materiel difference in "instant gratification" vs "long term thinking" in the decision of Fitz vs. Geno.  Neither hurts us long term, despite the bloviation of cap hell because of Fitz.  Both are moderate-poor (Fitz) to poor (Geno, till he shows otherwise) options for now.

Yet you're on record previously supporting Geno.....and you post above couldn't be any more on-point if it was aimed at Geno, the "will suddenly become a consistently good QB" after being the worst QB int he NFL two years running, then benched for one of the most embarrassing and stupid stories in my life as a Jets Fan.

I'm simple, I go with the guy who just won 10 games and showed leadership and team chemistry, despite his many MANY flaws, over the kid who was the worst QB in the NFL and a total idiot dipsh*t since the day he landed here.

all the whining and excuse making for Geno is, IMO, just that, excuse making.  Same excuse making we heard about Sanchez.  And Pennington too.  Stubborn fans clinging to baseless hope the uber-bust they invested their hopes and dreams in will prove everyone wrong.  A year form now, if Geno is Geno yet again in 2016, the vast majority of those screaming for Geno and loathing Fitz now will pretend they never liked Geno at all, they were "misunderstood", just like when those same guys loved Sanhchez and though he needed a "fair chance" with "talent around him" too.

This is the ore difference between the Fitz-side and Geno-side.  Fitz supportes know Fitz is moderate-to-bad, but good enough to compete this year and mentor next few.  Geno supporters think the ultra-bust will suddenly show us all how great he is in year 4.  Of course, many of those same Geno Fans are already lining up the excuses for why Geno can't match Fitz last year.  It's just sad.

Lol, if you think Fitz's proposed contract hamstrings us, you simply do not understand how the Cap works.  Sign Fitz or not, his salary will not stop us for signing a single player, now or later.  Lol, seriously, nothing funnier than Fan Cap experts.

Oh, right, you're the one who told me you understand the cap better than Macc!  Forgot all about that.  LOL.

Well, you're just wrong. Signing Fitzpatrick to $18M over the next 2 seasons hurts the Jets next year, and will fail to accomplish the desired goal in 2016 (winning a SB). Don't get angry with me because I know how to add, subtract, multiply, and divide.

The rest of your post is: I'm awesome and anyone who doesn't agree with me is stupid. To prove it, I'll now make up things about you and then mock these imaginary things. The difference being I don't think Geno Smith will suddenly become a "consistently good QB against tough competition" for the first time. Whether you believe this is more likely to happen with Fitzpatrick is as irrelevant as saying as the odds are twice as good when one purchases two lottery tickets instead of only one. Technically it may be true, but you're not winning it all in either case.

Now that we've cleared this up, where are all the people to repeatedly scold you for ludicrously stating that Fitzpatrick won 10 games instead of crediting them as "team" wins, just like they do every time someone else credits Fitzpatrick with losses? #hypocrisy 

6 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Thanks for putting words in the players mouths. When they've said they want him back as starter. Why should they rip Geno. No reason for it. Same with Bowles and even Mac. They said Fitz is the starter. Get real. 

Bowles calls Fitz the starter just to force other potential bidders to do the same knowing that 31 other teams have real legit starting QBs already on roster.

3 minutes ago, jetrider said:

Bowles calls Fitz the starter just to force other potential bidders to do the same knowing that 31 other teams have real legit starting QBs already on roster.

I don't think there was anything Machiavellian about it. He was put on the spot right on the podium right after our final loss, before 31 other teams had their starting QBs in place. I think he's just a decent and honest guy who says what he really thinks and feels, and it's as simple as that. 

12 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Being named a starter doesn't make that QB better than Fitz. We obviously don't see eye to eye here and I'm tired of the same retread arguments that really don't matter because neither of us have anything to do with that decision. So let's just agree to disagree. 

1. Fitz being named a starter doesn't make him a legit quality starter. 

2. Just agree that another valid point flew over your head.

4 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I don't think there was anything Machiavellian about it. He was put on the spot right on the podium right after our final loss, before 31 other teams had their starting QBs in place. I think he's just a decent and honest guy who says what he really thinks and feels, and it's as simple as that. 

That was then. Bowles hasn't changed his words since. Notice I said "calls" not "called."

27 minutes ago, jetrider said:

That's why Fitz's 10 fluky wins on a soft schedule was a mirage - as Jaworski called it.

And Fitz couldn't beat Buffalo once. 

(except for when he played for them and faced the Jets)  :bwahaharoll:

Both Buffalo losses were extremely close.  If Kellen Davis and Kenbrell Tompkins learn to catch we win both games and go 12-4 with the horrible Fitzpatrick 

6 minutes ago, jetrider said:

He called him the starter because he earned the job. And he's a better fit for the Jets than some of those guys who aren't great Qbs. And most teams go with the player they know who've worked in their system. A year ago Kirk Cousins was coming off of poor performances after he got a chance to play in 2014. That was not a job that was sewn up like it is now. He got the big starters contract without a great resume. You can look over other teams who had glaring holes and openings at Qb like the Raiders and Minny who now have the job filled. So no openings this year. Nobody is saying Fitz is elite but he can play the position competently. I don't really get this hatred and all the negative spin for this player who played tough for us even when injured and won ten games. I guess in your way of thinking those Ws don't count. 

Just now, jetrider said:

That was then. Bowles hasn't changed his words since. Notice I said "calls" not "called."

I understand, but it would be more controversial to take it back than to have never said so in the first place. Other than the initial announcement, I think he's handled it fine since then. I don't know how helpful it is, but at the same time he's properly shielding himself from the contract process. Last thing the team needs is a coach who also thinks he's the GM and complicates the process. 

I could make an equal argument that he and Maccagnan are playing good cop bad cop. 

1 minute ago, drdetroit said:

Both Buffalo losses were extremely close.  If Kellen Davis and Kenbrell Tompkins learn to catch we win both games and go 12-4 with the horrible Fitzpatrick 

Fitz threw 5 INTs, failed to convert in the redzone and lost both games 22-17.

Don't even try to make excuses. The pass to Thompkins was barely catchable with that hit. 

You might as well say we go 8-8 without Coughlin's brainflub and Belichick's coinflop. 

1 hour ago, Rangers9 said:

If I wasnt such a HUGE NY Rangers fan I would really get angry with you. :)   The NFL is tough every week, that doesnt justify over paying some journey man QB 

who cant seem to win a BIG game ever.

1 minute ago, southparkcpa said:

Players play, coaches coach.  Let the players write the check to a bench QB never EVER in a playoff game.

Even on Fathers Day this sh*t continues..............

Are Jets fans really that infatuated with a career journeyman QB who has never made the playoffs. 

Why? 

1 hour ago, Rangers9 said:

Find me the quotes where these players all have said they want him back as the starting QB.  No one else.  Have to have him to win.

The FO has said IF he's signed it's as the starter.  Far different from he's the starter.  

2 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Well, you're just wrong.

I'm wrong.  Macc is wrong.  Bowles is wrong.  Jets cap management is wrong.  Pro Football media is wrong.  Most fans are wrong.

But you're right.

We get it.

Signing Fitzpatrick to $18M over the next 2 seasons

The reported (stress reported, not actual) is 3 years, 24 million.  And we have no idea how it would be structured.  

.....hurts the Jets next year, and will fail to accomplish the desired goal in 2016 (winning a SB).

You don't know either of those things.  You presume them.

Don't get angry with me because I know how to add, subtract, multiply, and divide.

My friend, I'm far from angry, be assured.  If anything, posts like the one above, where you liken the intricacies, difficulties and detail of a complex financial/contract management function of an organization to "just add and subtract", just makes me laugh.  

Going to go out on a limb and bet you don't even work with numbers for a living, do you?  Accountant, financial manager?  No, I'd wager not.

The rest of your post is: I'm awesome and anyone who doesn't agree with me is stupid.

Funny, that's all I've read for you of late, arguments that boil down to "I, Sperm, know more than everyone else and everyone else is wrong".

I don't think Geno Smith will suddenly become a "consistently good QB against tough competition" for the first time.

Seems odd to want to start a guy you don't believe in.  Sounds alot like giving up on the season before the first snap is taken.  

That's just sad.

Whether you believe this is more likely to happen with Fitzpatrick is as irrelevant...

Right, your opinions:  relevant.  Others, wrong and irrelevant.  We get it Sperm, really.

Now that we've cleared this up, where are all the people to repeatedly scold you for ludicrously stating that Fitzpatrick won 10 games instead of crediting them as "team" wins, just like they do every time someone else credits Fitzpatrick with losses? #hypocrisy 

Yes, so much hypocrisy.  A veritable lake of it.  You should remind me how wrong everyone other than you is, that's sure to fix it.

1 hour ago, southparkcpa said:

If I wasnt such a HUGE NY Rangers fan I would really get angry with you. :)   The NFL is tough every week, that doesnt justify over paying some journey man QB 

who cant seem to win a BIG game ever.

So you and your friends have no doubts with Fitz as Qb we cannot make the playoffs in 2016. It's a done deal, no chance , game over, we concede. Don't even play the games. Anyways, Go Rangers. Please don't tell me they're going to suck, too. 

Just now, Rangers9 said:

So you and your friends have no doubts with Fitz as Qb we cannot make the playoffs in 2016. It's a done deal, no chance , game over, we concede. Don't even play the games. Anyways, Go Rangers. Please don't tell me they're going to suck, too. 

I dont think, as a businessman, that overpaying some journeyman QB is the right move.  He is NOT our future...why treat him as such.

I think Geno can do as well with the weapons we have.....

and dont get me started on the Rangers. 1994 was GREAT, ive been a fan since Giacomin and Gilbert  but seems every team in the NHL has won a cup since then except us. 

10 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

I dont think, as a businessman, that overpaying some journeyman QB is the right move.  He is NOT our future...why treat him as such.

I think Geno can do as well with the weapons we have.....

and dont get me started on the Rangers. 1994 was GREAT, ive been a fan since Giacomin and Gilbert  but seems every team in the NHL has won a cup since then except us. 

I'm talking 2016 only and have been saying this for the past 1000 pages. He's not our future Qb it's possible Hack is. But I think with him we can be competitive in 2016. Because we have a good team and last year he ran our best offense in years. If you and your buds don't want to give him any credit ok but if something works you don't fix it. So I'd give him a one year deal and go for it this year. I think he'll take below 12 mil. Personally I think he deserves it but with no indentured servitude clauses tacked on. Let the guy try to get his true market in 2017 on his own. It's the fair thing to do. 

Archived