Ryan Fitzpatrick: MERGED

kelly

31 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

Why would you want to head into the season with a 34-year old, noodle armed JAG QB who has never played in a playoff game?

Hell, Jamarcus Russell or Ryan Leaf could have got the Jets into the playoffs last year while Fitz couldn't.

Jets need to do everything conceivably possible to find a franchise QB.

They are not going anywhere with retreads like Fitz.

Thanks for the advice on the 2016 Jets. I'm sure you're looking out for our best interests even though you basically called us a bunch of losers the other day. The day I listen to a Cheaters fan is the day I jump off of the Queensborough Bridge which I don't plan on doing. 

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
43 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

As the poster just above stated.  There's no price range for a position.  It's basic capitalism/supply and demand.  If no one else wants the guy why would we pay penny more than you have to?

Well we'll see what happens. Fitz isn't going to sit out the season. Maybe his agent got info from other teams that if certain things happened they'd pay more than the Jets offered. I'm personally not concerned whether Fitz gets 7, 9 or 11. Like you say, let's see what the market dictates. This isn't over yet.

1 hour ago, Rangers9 said:

The Fitz hate is kind of mind boggling. And this idea of continuously drafting Qbs until you get a franchise one means that you're constantly in the state of rebuilding. The guy is a competent starter and knows the players and offense. We can win with him now. And if you get into the playoffs and things start going in the right direction we could win it all.  Unless he goes off the deep end asking for ridiculous money then it would be insane not to sign him over a few million. 

I think you are mistaking basic economics with Fitz hate.  Whether we draft a QB in the first round or not, my preference is to have Fitz be the starter in 2016.   However, not at any price.  The "just pay him regardless" theory is why most fans would make terrible GMs.  Insanity would be to pay him significantly more than anyone else is offering.  His coordinator is here, the weapons are here, he has had some success here and he has played for 7 different teams during his career.  If we offer 50 cents more than any other team, he is a moron not to sign here.

1 hour ago, Rangers9 said:

If he's asking for 16 mil per season then agreed that's way above market. Mac indicated that he was kind of willing to meet him in the middle. Which is in the 10-11 range. I could see giving him that. A team interested in making the playoffs doesn't let their starting Qb walk after he had a good year. He isn't a rag arm mediocre Qb he's a competent average to above average starter. A few million above market isn't going to kill them for a Qb.

The Jets have $2 million in cap space. Even at $7 million the Jets will have to lose a player or 2 to pay him. And he is no way shape or form, an average or even above average starter. He is close to the worst.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2016/03/nfl-new-york-jets-free-agent-contract-geno-smith

Just now, johnnysd said:

The Jets have $2 million in cap space. Even at $7 million the Jets will have to lose a player or 2 to pay him. And he is no way shape or form, an average or even above average starter. He is close to the worst.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2016/03/nfl-new-york-jets-free-agent-contract-geno-smith

We must be looking at a different player. Not only did he play well above average he had one of the best seasons and stats of any Qb in the NFL last year. Not only that he's cool and tough. Very tough. He played with a broken thumb and didn't sit out a game. Something that didn't exactly help his throwing. Plus he's a good guy and doesn't ever do or say anything stupid. 

6 minutes ago, nyjets782 said:

I think you are mistaking basic economics with Fitz hate.  Whether we draft a QB in the first round or not, my preference is to have Fitz be the starter in 2016.   However, not at any price.  The "just pay him regardless" theory is why most fans would make terrible GMs.  Insanity would be to pay him significantly more than anyone else is offering.  His coordinator is here, the weapons are here, he has had some success here and he has played for 7 different teams during his career.  If we offer 50 cents more than any other team, he is a moron not to sign here.

Look I don't know why fans are so worried about overpaying players. Some of the same fans didn't mind signing Cro and Revis to insane contracts. But Fitz isn't getting crazy money. They are in negotiations and hopefully will settle on a reasonable figure. 

3 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

Yep, Fitz absolutely lit up the Pats 3rd stringers.

Congrats on that awesome win.

BS. That game cost Pats HFA. It wasn't until Bellicheat saw the writing on the wall did some players come out.

Still, he stayed with his starting QB.

7 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Look I don't know why fans are so worried about overpaying players. Some of the same fans didn't mind signing Cro and Revis to insane contracts. But Fitz isn't getting crazy money. They are in negotiations and hopefully will settle on a reasonable figure. 

You just keep coming back to paying him more than the market is offering "just because".  I don't consider the Cro or Revis contracts insane at all.  The Cro deal was for 1 year with no cap hit once they released him and the Jets didn't vastly overpay the market value with Revis and the guarantees with him end after next season.  You can't even compare because the Jets can offer Fitz things he can't find anywhere else, not the other way around. 

I want Fitz to be the QB in 2016 but to act like we owe him $2-$3M more than anyone else is lunacy.  Why would you ever want to see your team overpay for a player?  Many times you overpay because you have to in order to land the player.  This is not one of those situations and EVERYONE knows it.  Until you come up with a better reason for purposely overpaying when you are not in danger of being outbid that is better than "just because", you will find a great majority of Jet fans who disagree with you.

I also don't want to see them have to release several players in the wake of a needlessly rich contract or resort to the credit card into 2017.  Most fans don't want that either which is why the vast majority are not in favor of paying 30-40% above market.

14 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

what a crock of poo.

That loss cost the Pats homefield advantage and a trip to the Championship.

If you think it didn't matter and that it didn't matter to the entire Cheaters team, front office and fans, then you sir are an outright liar.

12 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

AWWWWW....poor baby.  I don't know if you have heard but football is a violent game and players get injured.  If I'm not mistaken, I think this was the rare year in which all teams had at least 1 injured player. 

13 minutes ago, nyjets782 said:

You just keep coming back to paying him more than the market is offering "just because".  I don't consider the Cro or Revis contracts insane at all.  The Cro deal was for 1 year with no cap hit once they released him and the Jets didn't vastly overpay the market value with Revis and the guarantees with him end after next season.  You can't even compare because the Jets can offer Fitz things he can't find anywhere else, not the other way around. 

I want Fitz to be the QB in 2016 but to act like we owe him $2-$3M more than anyone else is lunacy.  Why would you ever want to see your team overpay for a player?  Many times you overpay because you have to in order to land the player.  This is not one of those situations and EVERYONE knows it.  Until you come up with a better reason for purposely overpaying when you are not in danger of being outbid that is better than "just because", you will find a great majority of Jet fans who disagree with you.

I also don't want to see them have to release several players in the wake of a needlessly rich contract or resort to the credit card into 2017.  Most fans don't want that either which is why the vast majority are not in favor of paying 30-40% above market.

Look Fitz is our starting Qb. And 2 mil is no big deal. I'm not saying to grossly overpay him and the Jets aren't . We'll see what happens. As for Revis's 16 mil per season and about 40 guaranteed it was way way over market. Nobody came close to matching that. The Patriots who had his rights smartly declined. 

7 minutes ago, BowlesMovement said:

I see PatsTroll is still trolling, guy is absolutely worthless and does nothing but troll this board. Guy should have been banned a long, long time ago

Pipe dream.  Although I'd bet that most people want him out of here.  But this is no democracy, otherwise there would have been a poll.  There are a few regs here who seem to really enjoy the TX comedy show.  And the Mods love him.  They keep bringing him back.  More clicks when people reply = better for JN website.   Until Max feels differently, we are stuck with ol' TX.  

47 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

We must be looking at a different player. Not only did he play well above average he had one of the best seasons and stats of any Qb in the NFL last year. Not only that he's cool and tough. Very tough. He played with a broken thumb and didn't sit out a game. Something that didn't exactly help his throwing. Plus he's a good guy and doesn't ever do or say anything stupid. 

Did you read the article? His "above average" season was a complete illusion

12 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Look Fitz is our starting Qb. And 2 mil is no big deal. I'm not saying to grossly overpay him and the Jets aren't . We'll see what happens. As for Revis's 16 mil per season and about 40 guaranteed it was way way over market. Nobody came close to matching that. The Patriots who had his rights smartly declined. 

Plain and simple, it comes down to factors and numbers and not anecdotes.  If you are a GM and you walk around saying I should pay a guy 25% more when I could have him for less "cause it is no big deal" you would be out on your rear end ESPECIALLY when your team is capped out.  It's just such an illogical position to take. 

As for your take on Revis, you are flat out incorrect.  The Pats had his rights only to the tune of $20M.  They opted not to pay him $20M for one year.   The Jets also opted not to pay him $20M for one year so your point is completely moot.

I would love to see your evidence as to what the next highest bidder for Revis' services was.  You have no idea what teams were offering him.  The Jets had the worst secondary in football in 2014 and a boatload of money to spend in 2015.  The likes of Byron freaking Maxwell were getting $10M!  I will take a top 3 CB (which is how he was regarded last offseason) for 16M over a scrub for 10M any day of the week especially when we had a huge hole and money to spend.  If Maxwell is worth 10M, then 16M is not crazy for Revis. 

Revis had several interested teams, right now Fitz has one team interested in offering him a starting job.  He better take it or his career as a starting QB is likely over.

30 minutes ago, nyjets782 said:

Plain and simple, it comes down to factors and numbers and not anecdotes.  If you are a GM and you walk around saying I should pay a guy 25% more when I could have him for less "cause it is no big deal" you would be out on your rear end ESPECIALLY when your team is capped out.  It's just such an illogical position to take. 

As for your take on Revis, you are flat out incorrect.  The Pats had his rights only to the tune of $20M.  They opted not to pay him $20M for one year.   The Jets also opted not to pay him $20M for one year so your point is completely moot.

I would love to see your evidence as to what the next highest bidder for Revis' services was.  You have no idea what teams were offering him.  The Jets had the worst secondary in football in 2014 and a boatload of money to spend in 2015.  The likes of Byron freaking Maxwell were getting $10M!  I will take a top 3 CB (which is how he was regarded last offseason) for 16M over a scrub for 10M any day of the week especially when we had a huge hole and money to spend.  If Maxwell is worth 10M, then 16M is not crazy for Revis. 

Revis had several interested teams, right now Fitz has one team interested in offering him a starting job.  He better take it or his career as a starting QB is likely over.

Look if the Patriots had paid Revis the 20 mil his average salary would have been 16 on a two year contract. He signed so fast with the Jets I'm not sure there were any other bidders esp at that price. His season was obviously way under being a 40 mil cornerback something the Patriots knew all about.They gave him 12 mil for one year and that was it. And for them unusual to pay a DB or anyone that  much.  We honestly don't know if there are other teams interested in Fitz. His agent obviously thinks so and maybe has been told by teams to wait until things clear up. The idea that we'd be bidding against ourselves is unfounded because we really don't know anything about the specifics. 

2 hours ago, Savage69 said:

So common sense would tell you spread the carries out and keep everyone rested as possible for the AFCCG would it not?? Plus YPC is a good indicator unless it doesn't make the compiler look good then it's meaningless.. :) Have you ever read Sperm's essay on Martin?? He nails it with the truth and facts..

It's factually incorrect. How many carries did Martin have when our lead was >10 points? Three.

31 carries were with Jax within 10 points of us. So that's a load of garbage. Teams don't sit on a 10 point lead with (ironically) one of the game's most careful QBs with the ball that year. Vin man, Keyshawn, and Chrebet kept moving the chains that year to allow all those carries. If I remember correctly, our boys finished 1-2 in the NFL in 3rd down conversion catches that year. 

If a hole was in front of him, he usually ran through it (too often, slowly). If no hole was there, Mr. "Vision" was a big nothing at making something out of nothing. Good all around back, with an inhuman threshold for dealing with pain, but not a difference maker with all the marbles on the line. He needed others to make his job easy so he could take credit for it all.

We must be looking at a different player. Not only did he play well above average he had one of the best seasons and stats of any Qb in the NFL last year. 

Do you post delusional falsehoods just so you can feel better?

Fitz was not even close to a top NFL QB in any single statistical measurement.

When you look at the "facts", he was a bottom-feeding NFL QB last year:

29th in completion percentage

27th in INT's

27th in YPA

24th in QBR

He wasn't even in the top 10 for TD's and yardage.

2 hours ago, PatsFanTX said:

Why would you want to head into the season with a 34-year old, noodle armed JAG QB who has never played in a playoff game?

Hell, Jamarcus Russell or Ryan Leaf could have got the Jets into the playoffs last year while Fitz couldn't.

Jets need to do everything conceivably possible to find a franchise QB.

They are not going anywhere with retreads like Fitz.

What the "he brought respectability" crowd glosses over is that, with our expensive new roster and that schedule, we should have won 13 games. The notion that Fitz was the secret sauce that made a 4-12 team into a 10-6 team is a more ridiculous myth than Bigfoot. 

His horrendous field vision - despite a decade of NFL experience - prevents him from ever being anything more than a temporary stopgap. Could he be worse? Absolutely, as prior Jets QBs have so colorfully shown. But even $9M per, with $0 guaranteed, is too much for him. Maybe it's worth it for Denver, because the rest of their roster is SO strong they were able to win with 2015-level Peyton. But the 2016 Jets aren't the 2015 Broncos. 

What the "he brought respectability" crowd glosses over is that, with our expensive new roster and that schedule, we should have won 13 games. The notion that Fitz was the secret sauce that made a 4-12 team into a 10-6 team is a more ridiculous myth than Bigfoot. 

His horrendous field vision - despite a decade of NFL experience - prevents him from ever being anything more than a temporary stopgap. Could he be worse? Absolutely, as prior Jets QBs have so colorfully shown. But even $9M per, with $0 guaranteed, is too much for him. Maybe it's worth it for Denver, because the rest of their roster is SO strong they were able to win with 2015-level Peyton. But the 2016 Jets aren't the 2015 Broncos. 

I don't see how other Jets fans just don't see that.

Fitz is a losing proposition moving forward.

If Mac and the FO feel Goff or Wentz is the guy, pull out all the stops and move up and grab him.

Kap or Glennon should be Plan B.

Fitz, Hoyer and the other retreads are nothing but a joke.

You will never win consistently in the NFL without a top 10 QB.

7 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

Do you post delusional falsehoods just so you can feel better?

Fitz was not even close to a top NFL QB in any single statistical measurement.

When you look at the "facts", he was a bottom-feeding NFL QB last year:

29th in completion percentage

27th in INT's

27th in YPA

24th in QBR

He wasn't even in the top 10 for TD's and yardage.

I took a quick look at ESPN for Qb stats and I didn't check out all of those numbers. But anyways they had Hoyer, Landry Jones, McCarron and Bridgewater rated over Fitz. I'll give you a few stats too: 31-15. And 10 Ws. Previous season:4-10. And despite what Sperm says imo he was the key to this. Now one question for you. If Fitz is so bad isn't it good for your team that we re-sign him. I doubt it strongly.

If Mac and the FO feel Goff or Wentz is the guy, pull out all the stops and move up and grab him.

18 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

This is miserable .  I almost miss your mindless trolling.  It's like nails on a chalkboard.  When you are the voice of reason It's just sad.  So sad.  

24 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

Fitz and Hoyer serve the purpose of having the flexibility to start your young gun a couple of weeks (or a couple of months) into the season if it looks like game 1 will be a terrible idea in late August. You don't sign them with the hope he starts for the entire season for a supposed playoff run with either one. If that was realistic it would have happened in 2015 with that stupid-easy schedule we won't see again for 15 years.

Look NFL.com listed Fitz as the 15th highest ranked  Qb in the NFL last year http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?tabSeq=1&statisticPositionCategory=QUARTERBACK&qualified=true&season=2015&seasonType=REG . I don't know exactly how they determined that ranking but it seems to go with what we saw on the field. I mean you can cherry pick individual stats if you want to if your endgame is to make Fitz look bad. IMO you do not need an elite franchise Qb to win in the NFL There aren't too many of them anyways and it's a crapshoot to get one. Even with a top five pick.  And you can win with a good vet Qb like Fitz. And we did last season. I'm not for going into a rebuilding mode after a 10-6 season. If Fitz gets a few million more I'm ok with it. Probably the Jets would pay it to him as an incentive. PS did someone actually say that the Jets would have won ten games last season with Jamarcus Russell. Now that's real hatred saying something like that. 

This is miserable .  I almost miss your mindless trolling.  It's like nails on a chalkboard.  When you are the voice of reason It's just sad.  So sad.  

Thank you, I miss the days when the Jets had a good QB (Pennington pre-injury) and the Jets/Pats were neck and neck for the AFCE title.

Kinda boring when the Pats always have the AFCE wrapped up by Halloween.

3 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

Thank you, I miss the days when the Jets had a good QB (Pennington pre-injury) and the Jets/Pats were neck and neck for the AFCE title.

Kinda boring when the Pats always have the AFCE wrapped up by Halloween.

Damn your slow.  I already alluded to banning you in another thread.  Please keep up old man. 

58 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Don't fluff the troll. 

Archived