Ryan Fitzpatrick: MERGED

kelly

I don't know if I believe Bleacher Report. We've heard figures thrown around and they've been high as to what Fitz is asking for esp after Osweiller got a way above market contract. But hard to believe they're being that unreasonable. I think I've heard lower figures tossed out as to what he would accept. There is no market for him at that figure. He should be smart enough to know this. Plus the Jets I'm sure would give him plenty of incentives just in case he has a better year than 2015. But you'd think the Jets would offer him something higher than 7-9, you know like about 2-20 again with incentives. He makes a few million more if the Jets make the playoffs, he makes the Pro Bowl, etc. 

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 3/24/2016 at 0:32 PM, bitonti said:

the Jets only have 6 picks. Using one on Josh McCown seems foolish. 

Unless you use a late round pick to lock him in at $3.6. for 2017 with no further obligation after that, rather than pay whatever current market value turns out to be in both $$ and length of contract.  Both cap and picks are limited commodities for the Jets -- it's a balancing act.   My initial reaction was "no trade" but there are scenarios where it is not out of wack.

2 hours ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

LOL - amazing the standards we have learned to accept from the Jets and how the team performance impacts the work week :)

I am just about done with retreads and ready for them to just trade the farm for Wentz

Yes, amazing that Jets fans accepted a record setting offense with a pair of receivers over 1000 yards and double digit TD's and a franchise record for TD passes...amazing they had to settle for that garbage. Go get a new QB! 

Yes, amazing that Jets fans accepted a record setting offense with a pair of receivers over 1000 yards and double digit TD's and a franchise record for TD passes...amazing they had to settle for that garbage. Go get a new QB! 

How did Fitz and that offense do in the playoffs?

3 hours ago, PatsFanTX said:

No, Pats already have a good back- up QB.

Why would they want an old, weak-armed JAG QB?

Every time you call Fitz weak armed, it is actually a compliment to him. He must be doing a lot of other things very well to continually beat out stronger armed guys and high draft picks with big arms and "all the tools". To be weak armed and set a franchise record for TD's is quite an extraordinary feat. Also, weak armed QB almost beat your cheating team twice this year...

Every time you call Fitz weak armed, it is actually a compliment to him. He must be doing a lot of other things very well to continually beat out stronger armed guys and high draft picks with big arms and "all the tools". To be weak armed and set a franchise record for TD's is quite an extraordinary feat. Also, weak armed QB almost beat your cheating team twice this year...

Are you one of Fitz's 8 kids?

4 hours ago, Gas2No99 said:

Bleacher Report's Jason Cole reports the Jets have offered free agent Ryan Fitzpatrick a $7 annual salary but are willing to go up to $9 million a year.

Fitzpatrick is asking for $16 million a year. The two sides are miles apart and both seem willing to wait it out. Cole reports there is "little or no faith within the organization" that Geno Smith is capable of taking over the starting job, which means the Jets will have to look elsewhere if Fitzpatrick doesn't agree to their terms. One replacement option Cole mentioned was Mike Glennon, who is entering the last year of his deal with Tampa Bay.

Mar 25 - 6:24 PM

Waste of money

17 hours ago, PatsFanTX said:

Fitz is a very viable option for 4 more years??????

It will then be 51 years and counting.

unless a viable young player can replace him yes he could play 4 more years. Obviously we would love for a young player to step in but that has not happened for what 40 years ? other than the one good year Pennington had before he got broken down.

14 hours ago, JetBlue said:

Wow, Thank GOD you are not in charge...  

yep thank god ...you can revisit this thread at the end of the season if the Jets do not sign Fitz ... Sign a bunch of 30 year olds and leave the QB position to Geno over 3 or 4 million . Fitz Proved he had great chemistry with our WR's yet we are willing to take a chance and dump that in the toilet to sign other unknowns like Mike Glennon who will probably want the same or more ?? Sure he's young but there obviously is a reason they drafted Winston ...

15 hours ago, PatsFanTX said:

What happens if a QB (Rogers, Palmer, Flacco, etc.) of a Super Bowl contending team goes down with an injury in the first 4 weeks of the season?

Guess who gets the first phone call and a big payday?

Fitz would not be able to function in those offenses like he does in Chan's system.

History has proved that.

Secondly, those offenses are more deep ball compatable. Fitz does not have the arm that those 3 QB's have.

Defenses would collapse within 15 yards  of the LOS and the divisions that those teams are in would eat Fitz for lunch.

16 hours ago, PatsFanTX said:

If it weren't for that 5MPH zephyr in the 1st and 4th quarters, the Jets probably win that game.

Fitz just doesn't have a NFL arm.

His arm is barely average, but the big INT on the post pattern was an easy throw.  Something else happened there.

10 hours ago, UpstateJetsGuru said:

We can agree that it was enjoyable to watch Jets games last year thanks in part to Fitz, after 5-6 years of the worst QB play in the league, the bar was not set high and let's not forget that FItz was other teams garbage last year.  Do you really think the Jets should pay Fitzpatrick $15-16m?

I would like to see Fitz return but do not want to see my team use over 10% of it's cap to pay franchise money for a QB who is not the franchise, also do not want others teams garbage (McCown) even if that worked for the Jets last year.  

I want 10-15 years of solid QB play from a franchise QB, not just a new QB

On 24/3/2016 at 10:15 AM, kelly said:

This article that I saw posted on another board and also posted above by Kelly of Dunwoody, Georgia  previously of Tarnby, Denmark... is an interesting piece and worth a read by anyone interested in the Ryan Fitzpatrick debate.

Of additional interest is that the writer quotes from another writer, a  self-described "unemployed football writer" guy Cian Fahey who has this extensive online stats breakdown article that can be purchased for $9 and change via paypal. It is called "Pre-snap Reads" and Fahey (having some down time when he is not walking his labradors pictured on twitter) breaks down every passes thrown by a quarterback with over 250 pass attempts in the the NFL football season.
So to be clear, he critiques every 250+ throws qb individually based on his analysis of their every throw during the last football season.

In it, Fahey tears Fitzpatrick a new back estuary based on several factors, including the fact that he was surrounded by probowl talent and so hid the fact that he is incredibly inaccurate while simultaneously being incredibly lucky with dropped interceptions by opposing defensive players.

Fahey for the most part is spot on except, if one is objective, he gets carried away with hyperbole describing Fitzpatrick "His arm has diminished to the point that he has to wind up his throws like a cartoon character when throwing further than 10 yards downfield." Clearly Fitzpatrick has limited arm strength but I have not seen any cartoon character winds ups.

If you have already walked the dogs today or the wife walked out on you last night after wondering aloud what she ever saw in you in the first place, "Pre-snap Reads"  is worth a  few shekels and a subsequent read  if you're interested ... presnapreads.com/2016/02/19/about-the-pre-snap-reads-quarterback-catalogue-2016/

15 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

As for Fitz's money I don't get why some fans are trying to set a limit on what he gets and say they want him back but not higher than a certain amount. What he gets paid well if he can get it from Mac then as far as I can see he deserves it. And to have our offense in tact and a Qb who proved to be a leader last year it's worth it imo.

It has absolutely nothing to do with setting a limit, it has everything to do with market value.  Would you pay $400,000 for a house if no one else was offering more than $300,000?  The NFL has a salary cap, so what fan wants his team to overpay for players, thus making it tougher to sign and re-sign other players?  Of course no one faults him for trying to get all he can, the issue is that the Jets have absolutely NO reason to consider giving in to his demands unless another team is willing to go that high.

If he's asking for 16 mil per season then agreed that's way above market. Mac indicated that he was kind of willing to meet him in the middle. Which is in the 10-11 range. I could see giving him that. A team interested in making the playoffs doesn't let their starting Qb walk after he had a good year. He isn't a rag arm mediocre Qb he's a competent average to above average starter. A few million above market isn't going to kill them for a Qb.

11 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Waste of money

Crap, I agree with you. 

$6-7M should be his number. Hard line in the sand, as a final take it or leave it, should be $8M. 

And really I'd be more in favor of him returning if I didn't know he was just going to be handed the job until his arm falls off (or sustains some other injury). No one else will get a chance otherwise, meaning we will never get better at the position. If not for that, I think he'd be a better pickup as the game's best veteran #2 QB who can start for an extended period of time in a pinch (like he did for us in 2015). 

1 hour ago, New York Mick said:

9/10 mill a year for a starting QB is fair. 16 for Fitz is irresponsible. 

He is NOT a starting QB. He is a veteran backup that is only signed as a transitional player that will enter camp as the incumbent starter. 3 times what he made last year on a team that needs to retool is completely irresponsible.

8 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

If he's asking for 16 mil per season then agreed that's way above market. Mac indicated that he was kind of willing to meet him in the middle. Which is in the 10-11 range. I could see giving him that. A team interested in making the playoffs doesn't let their starting Qb walk after he had a good year. He isn't a rag arm mediocre Qb he's a competent average to above average starter. A few million above market isn't going to kill them for a Qb.

Above average backup for sure

The Fitz hate is kind of mind boggling. And this idea of continuously drafting Qbs until you get a franchise one means that you're constantly in the state of rebuilding. The guy is a competent starter and knows the players and offense. We can win with him now. And if you get into the playoffs and things start going in the right direction we could win it all.  Unless he goes off the deep end asking for ridiculous money then it would be insane not to sign him over a few million. 

On 3/24/2016 at 9:05 AM, nyjunc said:

we had a big lead, he had 36 carries.  he had a very good game that day.  YPC is usually a good indicator but not for that game.

Richie Anderson was buried on the bench under BP.  didn't get his chance until Groh took over then BP signed him away to Dallas.

So common sense would tell you spread the carries out and keep everyone rested as possible for the AFCCG would it not?? Plus YPC is a good indicator unless it doesn't make the compiler look good then it's meaningless.. :) Have you ever read Sperm's essay on Martin?? He nails it with the truth and facts..

On 3/24/2016 at 6:05 AM, nyjunc said:

we had a big lead, he had 36 carries.  he had a very good game that day.  YPC is usually a good indicator but not for that game.

Richie Anderson was buried on the bench under BP.  didn't get his chance until Groh took over then BP signed him away to Dallas.

Curtis Martin is the most overrated player I can remember. And that is not just by Jets fans. He had elite durability that is all.

11 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Curtis Martin is the most overrated player I can remember. And that is not just by Jets fans. He had elite durability that is all.

We have a Bingo..:) The durability plus his Tuna daddy and after that his old college coach Paul Hackett as his OC and a brain dead Herman Edwards that let him compile with a smile.. If it wasn't for 2 overtime games in 2004 he doesn't win the rushing title with the most carries of his career at 31..Plus Priest Holmes was hurt that year but still had 2 more td's then Martin playing just 8 games.. And Holmgren sat Alexander when he saw the Jets went into overtime and avoided playing him a 250K incentive clause in his contract so he lost the rushing title by a yard..

3 hours ago, Gangrene said:

This article that I saw posted on another board and also posted above by Kelly of Dunwoody, Georgia  previously of Tarnby, Denmark... is an interesting piece and worth a read by anyone interested in the Ryan Fitzpatrick debate.

Of additional interest is that the writer quotes from another writer, a  self-described "unemployed football writer" guy Cian Fahey who has this extensive online stats breakdown article that can be purchased for $9 and change via paypal. It is called "Pre-snap Reads" and Fahey (having some down time when he is not walking his labradors pictured on twitter) breaks down every passes thrown by a quarterback with over 250 pass attempts in the the NFL football season.
So to be clear, he critiques every 250+ throws qb individually based on his analysis of their every throw during the last football season.

In it, Fahey tears Fitzpatrick a new back estuary based on several factors, including the fact that he was surrounded by probowl talent and so hid the fact that he is incredibly inaccurate while simultaneously being incredibly lucky with dropped interceptions by opposing defensive players.

Fahey for the most part is spot on except, if one is objective, he gets carried away with hyperbole describing Fitzpatrick "His arm has diminished to the point that he has to wind up his throws like a cartoon character when throwing further than 10 yards downfield." Clearly Fitzpatrick has limited arm strength but I have not seen any cartoon character winds ups.

If you have already walked the dogs today or the wife walked out on you last night after wondering aloud what she ever saw in you in the first place, "Pre-snap Reads"  is worth a  few shekels and a subsequent read  if you're interested ... presnapreads.com/2016/02/19/about-the-pre-snap-reads-quarterback-catalogue-2016/

Great article. 100% correct and completely matches what I see when I watch him.

On March 25, 2016 at 6:37 PM, BowlesMovement said:

What he hell are you talking about backup to Geno? Do you believe the nonsense you spew? If he is the backup to Geno, why did Geno sit on the bench a week after Fitzpatricks thumb surgery? Plenty of the criticism of Fitz is warranted, this is just stupid bs.

You mean during the 5 game losing streak when Fitz couldn't hit the side of a barn.

1 hour ago, Rangers9 said:

As the poster just above stated.  There's no price range for a position.  It's basic capitalism/supply and demand.  If no one else wants the guy why would we pay penny more than you have to?

The Fitz hate is kind of mind boggling. And this idea of continuously drafting Qbs until you get a franchise one means that you're constantly in the state of rebuilding. The guy is a competent starter and knows the players and offense. We can win with him now. And if you get into the playoffs and things start going in the right direction we could win it all.  Unless he goes off the deep end asking for ridiculous money then it would be insane not to sign him over a few million. 

Why would you want to head into the season with a 34-year old, noodle armed JAG QB who has never played in a playoff game?

Hell, Jamarcus Russell or Ryan Leaf could have got the Jets into the playoffs last year while Fitz couldn't.

Jets need to do everything conceivably possible to find a franchise QB.

They are not going anywhere with retreads like Fitz.

Why would you want to head into the season with a 34-year old, noodle armed JAG QB who has never played in a playoff game?

Hell, Jamarcus Russell or Ryan Leaf could have got the Jets into the playoffs last year while Fitz couldn't.

Jets need to do everything conceivably possible to find a franchise QB.

They are not going anywhere with retreads like Fitz.

Archived