Ryan Fitzpatrick: MERGED

kelly

Lol this is awsome. Broncos n Jets need two QBs. There's Kaep n Fitz. Not enough demand. Kaep most likely heads to the Donkeys. That leaves Fitz n Jets. I hope Jets don't pay a penny more than $8mil. Let him eat the rest in incentives. He's no Gannon. He's a backup to Geno, which tells you everything you need to know. 

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm surprised that the as usual inept Browns gave Griifin that much money. So why not just give Fitz market value which if RG got 15/2 should at least be 20/2. As for Kap rumors are the hold up in trading him is money: he won't take a cut.

1 minute ago, j4jets said:

Lol this is awsome. Broncos n Jets need two QBs. There's Kaep n Fitz. Not enough demand. Kaep most likely heads to the Donkeys. That leaves Fitz n Jets. I hope Jets don't pay a penny more than $8mil. Let him eat the rest in incentives. He's no Gannon. He's a backup to Geno, which tells you everything you need to know. 

What he hell are you talking about backup to Geno? Do you believe the nonsense you spew? If he is the backup to Geno, why did Geno sit on the bench a week after Fitzpatricks thumb surgery? Plenty of the criticism of Fitz is warranted, this is just stupid bs.

This has zero impact on the Jets.  NOBODY is offering Fitz more than the Jets.  The Jets would only be bidding against themselves.   They have no obligation or reason to up their offer because other teams are grossly overpaying.   "Conscience" is irrelevant.  Fitz can take the offer or gamble.  The Jets are going to win this game of chicken.  They might up their offer a smidgen so Fitz can save face but that is all.

You have to go understand that the owner of the Browns who makes Woody look like a genius is the one who overruled the then GM and forced him to draft Manziel. And then he fired the guy after it didn't work out. Not sure why Cleveland wanted 3 but if the new coach has any say he's the same guy who with the Raiders talked them into grossly overpaying for Carson Palmer and just a few years later Oakland got rid of him for basically nothing. So you're talking about two of the most inept orgs in football. 

You have to go understand that the owner of the Browns who makes Woody look like a genius is the one who overruled the then GM and forced him to draft Manziel. And then he fired the guy after it didn't work out. Not sure why Cleveland wanted 3 but if the new coach has any say he's the same guy who with the Raiders talked them into grossly overpaying for Carson Palmer and just a few years later Oakland got rid of him for basically nothing. So you're talking about two of the most inept orgs in football. 

Inept organizations?

You must have shatter-proof glass windows in your house.

Terrible idea.

Neither will win a Super Bowl, but...

Think if a firecracker in your hand.  What happens?  You burn your hand.  (Fitzpatrick)

Close your first around that same firecracker... PWWWWUUCCCHH! Your wife is gonna be opening ketchup bottles the rest of your life.  (McCown)

A few quick thoughts on Cimini

- Cimini is a douche bag who thrives on sh*tting on the Jets.

- Cimini is an insecure journalist who thinks sh*tting on the Jets would bring him credibility on the eyes of Giant fans. 

- Cimini is a sh*tty journalist who can't write any in depth article about the Jets.

- Cimini is about to lose his job because he lost his touch with Jets fanbase. 

- Cimini likes to wear pink underwear to impress his boyfriend. 

6 hours ago, PatsFanTX said:

Again, trade Mo and the Jets 2017 1st round pick to the Browns for the #2 pick.

Jets would free up a ton of cap space and have their young QB.

I would do it in a heartbeat but I still think the Brown's are thinking of drafting a qb in that spot.

McCown should not be considered a replacement. That would be terrible. Let's go with Geno before that happens.

More importantly, this helps the Jets position. RGIII was a first round pick and is very young. Fitz is neither of those things and he wants double this amount. 

This deal helps the Jets.

3 hours ago, dbatesman said:

I mean, we've now reached the point where the beat writers are basically telling us the sky is green in an effort to get their favorite players paid. What a ******* clownshow. 

Shameful, insulting, petty...It's like every time he needs an adjective to describe something he takes a shot of Fireball and then Googles synonyms until he has enough to string together a narrative.

The 24-hour news cycle just blows balls. With a FO like we have there's never going to be much to go off of, which means so long as Macaggnan is GM most Jets news is going to be whatever the hell Mehta or Cimini felt like making up that day.

3 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Shameful, insulting, petty...It's like every time he needs an adjective to describe something he takes a shot of Fireball and then Googles synonyms until he has enough to string together a narrative.

The 24-hour news cycle just blows balls. With a FO like we have there's never going to be much to go off of, which means so long as Macaggnan is GM most Jets news is going to be whatever the hell Mehta or Cimini felt like making up that day.

I was on a flight next to Cimini after the Jets/Bills debacle in Detroit. I saw him write a blog post. He would basically write a sentence and then go through it to make it more incendiary. He's a hack.  

4 hours ago, Maxman said:

McCown should not be considered a replacement. That would be terrible. Let's go with Geno before that happens.

More importantly, this helps the Jets position. RGIII was a first round pick and is very young. Fitz is neither of those things and he wants double this amount. 

I don't think this deal helps the Jets bring Ryan Fitzpatrick back.    That's okay, because the Jets Fo put a price tag on what Ryan Fitzpatrick worth in their mind , and aren't going to budge from it.( smart Gm don't deviate from what a player worth- throw their future salary structure out of whack. ). 

Obviously the Jets are prepared to go into next season without Ryan Fitzpatrick.    You must accept the fact that the Jets will have a new starter at Qb.    

Jmo I don't see Ryan Fitzpatrick coming back to the Jets under any circumstances now ( too much bad feelings between the parties - pride factor) .

Ryan Fitzpatrick is probably going to play the waiting game.   Isn't going to sign with anyone, and wait to see if a team starting Qb goes down with an injury. ( only chance he has to get close to money he's looking for.

If no Qb gets injured in training camp,  I don't know if you see Ryan Fitzpatrick playing in 2016.  

I'd be curious to see if Mac would trade a 6th or 7th for McCown to lock him in @ the $4.3m and $3.6m salary he is due over the next 2 yrs?

OR

Let the Browns cut him and then have to pay $7m salary as a FA?

Fitz doesn't have a leg to stand on. If he screws this up, he'll be a back-up making less than the Jets are offering.

Mac can get a veteran QB for 1/2 of what Mac has on the table for Fitz for basically the same QB.

I could live with McCown for a year. I could not live with Hoyer for a year.  Something about Hoyer really puts me off.  And Fitz is no great shakes.  He really does not throw it well.  Fitz just manages his mistakes better thant he Genos of the world.  McCown can do that.

17 hours ago, Goinggreen said:

There is no alternate world where Geno is successful as much as all you Jets fans say. He is just not average and will be just like Sanchez for his entire NFL career whether you accept it or not. You guys probably think Sanchez is going to do something in Denver? I assure you Sanchez is not even a game manager so stop dreaming. I guess a few more years of reality will dig into that stubbornness. Geno does not have leadership skills regardless of what you think. No other QB in the history of the NFL has gotten his jaw broken by his own player. You can blame Ike for that all you want. Ge-no did not earn e respect required for a QB or team captain. There is nothing more Geno has not shown about his game.  His game is weak and always will be!!!  The end.

image.png

You have an irrational, estrous Geno Smith complex.

Whatever the topic header is, I didn't mention Geno and the post you quoted wasn't alluding to anything involving Geno, yet your entire response to this non-Geno post is all about Geno Smith.

Get some help. Surely there are hotlines available in your area.

Cimini must make the used car dealers drool. He's prepared to put an equity loan on his house to buy a used car with 150,000 miles because it ran well a year ago. He's frankly stupid and/or malicious. It's as if he was Paris Hilton and never had to budget anything in his life. How is he proposing that the Jets pay Fitz "what he's worth?" And what will be the long term cost? What's he planning to do, put it on his credit card? Idiotic.

10 minutes ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

Cimini must make the used car dealers drool. He's prepared to put an equity loan on his house to buy a used car with 150,000 miles because it ran well a year ago. 

lol

Or more correctly, it seemed to run well because the car was mostly driven downhill last year. When it had to go uphill, it couldn't reach the top, stalled out, and rolled backwards into a lake, drowning its inhabitants, to the horror of all spectators (except for a few who said it was unreasonable to have had that car attempt to go uphill in the first place).

4 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

lol

Or more correctly, it seemed to run well because the car was mostly driven downhill last year. When it had to go uphill, it couldn't reach the top, stalled out, and rolled backwards into a lake, drowning its inhabitants, to the horror of all spectators.

I stand corrected. :)

Mac is doing the right thing... he's waiting it out. He ain't mortgaging the Jets future for Ryan Fitzpatrick.

8 hours ago, Maxman said:

Max at this stage the first round pick means nothing. The guy (when given a chance to play after his injury) stunk and then was promptly benched and he got 7.5 mil per year. We offered Fitz a guy who threw 31 TD's and brought respectability to a position we have not had a good player in for 10 + years 7 mil per. Im not sure exactly how this RG III signing does not make the Jets look like total idiots. Fitz may not be young but in a era where QB are playing well past their mid 30's Fitz is still a very viable option for another 4 years if he can put up numbers like he did last year. All we can expect is improvement with the addition of 2 solid RB's who can be threats out of the back field, something Fitz only had for 4 games with a finally healthy Powell before he got hurt for the last game yet again. Fitz did what he did in an offense he's comfortable in that was basically one dimensional with only WR's to throw too. IMO what the Jets are doing is a smack in the face of Fitzpatrick a guy who I think can be had for 10 mill per which is a 3 mil difference than what they are offering. What 3 mil player in the NFL right now is going to improve the Jets more than a QB who played as well as Fitz did last year ??

1 minute ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

I stand corrected. :)

Mac is doing the right thing... he's waiting it out. He ain't mortgaging the Jets future for Ryan Fitzpatrick.

But apparently he should do the "classy" thing and just give him a contract even though it couldn't be more obvious the Jets don't want him to start for 1 game longer than it takes for one of the younger kids to show he's worth throwing out there.

I think they want him back to start a half season, then bench him after we're 3-6, and give someone else a shot against live action. That's totally reasonable, and is what a $7M/year offer does (and it would seem they'd be willing to go a little higher, but nowhere near what Fitz wants). It's an offer for a half a year as a meh placeholding starter and then half a year of holding a clipboard and being a mentor for his replacement and the game's best veteran backup. In other words, what they traded for him to be last year, minus starting the season. Well, if it went down that way and the Jets didn't pick him up, he would be looking at another contract paying $8M over 2 years with $5M guaranteed.

I half want Fitzpatrick back just so we don't have to listen to a season of the glory of what would have surely been if we'd only brought King Richard (Gannon) II back again, except the blame will still fall on others. And really, if we're going to fail to make the playoffs (never mind the superbowl), I'd want to gain something in the process, like getting a young Jets QB some live reps.

On 3/25/2016 at 8:21 AM, Smashmouth said:

Max at this stage the first round pick means nothing. The guy, when given a chance to play after his injury stunk and then was promptly benched and he got 7.5 mil per year. We offered Fitz a guy who threw 31 TD's and brought respectability to a position we have not had a good player in for 10 + years 7 mil per. Im not sure exactly how this RG III signing does not make the Jets look like total idiots. Fitz may not be young but in a era where QB are playing well past their mid 30's Fitz is still a very viable option for another 4 years if he can put up numbers like he did last year. All we can expect is improvement with the addition of 2 solid RB's who can be threats out of the back field something Fitz only had for 4 games with a finally healthy Powell before he got hurt for the last game yet again. Fitz did what he did in an offense he's comfortable in that was basically one dimensional with only WR's to throw too. IMO what the Jets are doing is a smack in the face of Fitzpatrick a guy who I think can be had for 10 mill per which is a 3 mil difference than what they are offering. What 3 mil player in the NFL right now is going to improve the Jets more than a QB who played as well as Fitz did last year ??

It does, in the same way it didn't make the Jets look like idiots for not drafting Manziel, which you went bananas about.The Jets are doing the right thing. Fitzpatrick's upside was 2015, and it took a perfect storm of weak opponents and 2 kickass WRs to get to that point. The Jets see all the missed opportunities on all the plays for which you ignore & render him blameless, since you were also advocating paying him the $15M+ that no NFL GM would ever consider. Just like you ignored all warning signs regarding Manziel.

Take a breath. They're doing this correctly.

RG3 can make 11 million this year but he's only guaranteed 6.75. It's an incentive based contract and a glorified one year deal with nothing guaranteed in his second year. I'd be all for Fitz having a base of what we're offering with a chance to make what he wants. Let his play get him paid and prove that he can do the same with a much more difficult schedule. If he plays well he gets paid well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I honestly believe the Jets have let the Fitz ship sail. If there is a guy currently on another team they think is a 'franchise' guy, they will continue to try to work out a deal. If not, and they have a QB in the draft that they think is 'the guy", then they will draft him in a month, and go with Geno this year. Either way, think Fitz is an ex-Jet.

RG3 contract not a sign Jets are low-balling Ryan Fitzpatrick

By Dom Cosentino | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com 
Email the author | Follow on Twitter 
on March 24, 2016 at 4:30 PM, updated March 25, 2016 at 7:58 AM

Let's begin here: The Jets were never seriously interested in Robert Griffin III, the former Washington quarterback who signed with the Browns on Thursday.

Their focus is still to get a deal done with Ryan Fitzpatrick, the incumbent with whom they're at a stalemate in contract negotiations. The two sides are said to be miles apart, with Fitzpatrick reportedly wanting what the market has given other starters this offseason, while the Jets have countered with what one report characterized as "backup money."

Oh, and now look at the deal Griffin just got in Cleveland: A number of reports cited two years, $15 million, with incentives that can bring it to a max of $22 million. Like, whoa.

But the fine print, as detailed by USA Today's Tom Pelissero, reveals that Griffin's deal is basically for one year, with a team option for year two, with very little guaranteed for Griffin, at least as compared to other starting quarterbacks.

Per Pelissero, Griffin's contract has a guarantee of just $6.75 million, including $3.25 million in base salary, plus a $3.5 million signing bonus—all payable in 2016. He can also earn another $750,000 in per-game roster bonuses, plus $3.5 million in playing time, passing yards, and passer rating incentives.

So Griffin can make up to $11 million this season. But nearly a third of that money is contingent upon his performance.

And in 2017, not one penny of what's in Griffin's contract is guaranteed. Which means if Griffin flops, the Browns can cut the cord after 2016, owe him nothing, and have only the $1.75 million from his pro-rated signing bonus on the books as dead money.

Now, Griffin didn't play a snap last year. He's basically been a disaster since his rookie season, which was four years ago. The Browns are banking on his potential to reassert itself, while covering themselves on the back end if Griffin and his potential both wind up tumbling into Lake Erie.

The Browns also have the added advantage of holding the No. 2 pick in the draft, which gives them the chance to draft a quarterback of their choosing.

Fitzpatrick, meanwhile, just won 10 games for the Jets, and he threw for a team-record 31 touchdown passes last season. Surely, he's going to want far more than Griffin, and something on the order of what Sam Bradford got from the Eagles, if not the giant payday a largely unproven Brock Osweiler was given by the Texans.

Except: The Jets are bidding against themselves here. No other team is eager to pay Fitzpatrick's asking price. So why should the Jets? Understand: Fitzpatrick is the best option the Jets have at quarterback. But what they can't do is panic by caving completely to his demands. Because panic moves and overspending can set a team back if they backfire.

Consider Fitzpatrick's overall body of work: He'll be 34 in November, and he has never appeared in a playoff game in 11 career seasons. He was with four teams in the last four years, and for all of his leadership and above-average play last season, he was still a beneficiary of offensive coordinator Chan Gailey's system, a receiving tandem of Brandon Marshall and Eric Decker that was arguably the best in the league, and a strong running game.

Fitzpatrick is also the guy who threw three fourth-quarter interceptions in a de facto playoff game in the season finale.

Jets general manager Mike Maccagnan has frequently talked about placing a value on a position and a player. The Jets have done that with Fitzpatrick. And Fitzpatrick is not the Jets' quarterback of the future. He's a placeholder. Given all of those factors, his value may not be much higher than Griffin's.

There's also no rush. The Jets' offseason program doesn't begin until April 18, and they won't take the field for organized team activities until sometime in May. Remember, too, that this is a negotiation, and that Maccagnan has talked about finding a "middle ground." Getting there will require a compromise. So neither side's current offer—however high or low it may be—necessarily has to be its final one.

If all else fails with Fitzpatrick, the Jets still have Geno Smith, who is entering a contract year. Would the Jets really want him to be The Guy again? Would they seriously entertain Josh McCown as a veteran fallback option? What about Bryce Petty? Will he be ready?

Any of those quarterbacks would come at a reasonable price. And depending on the limit the Jets want to pay versus the floor for what Fitzpatrick is willing to accept, the Jets might have to let Fitzpatrick hit the bricks.

The Jets are handling this situation like a team with a plan—a plan that must balance the long-term future of the franchise against the immediate goal of winning in 2016. They're walking a tightrope, but they still have time to get it right. Let it play out.

Bottom line: RGIII is potentially worth more than Fitz and took less. It makes Mac's $7M offer quite reasonable.

Archived