Ryan Fitzpatrick: MERGED

kelly

21 hours ago, munchmemory said:

Until he was a Jet, I never thought much of Fitzpatrick (still don't really).  Now?  I think the guy is a complete dick for not re-signing with the team.

IMO, we're going nowhere next season with Fitz anyway.  What a great time to move on from "Mr. No Playoffs His Entire 11 Year Career" to Petty or someone in the draft. 

This anger is misdirected.  The blame truly resides with teams like the Texans and Eagles who are overpaying bad QB's, and thus setting the initial market high for a guy like Fitzpatrick. 

Loyalty doesn't happen in the NFL.  Teams can rip up contracts at any time.  Thus, I really don't give a sh*t when players want to maximize their worth.  I wasn't pissed at Revis during his holdout and I'm not pissed at Fitzpatrick now.  He's not a d*ck for doing this, he's behaving like 99 % of players do:  Trying to get as much as they can out of this league financially before their brains or bodies go to mush.

However, unlike Revis, I definitely don't advocate overpaying in this case.  Fitz isn't our future at the position, so we shouldn't be forced to tie ourselves to that horse for more than a year, MAYBE 2. 

If the Jets do bring back Fitz at a reasonable dollar figure, it'll be entertaining seeing how many people go from calling Fitz a d*ck to welcoming him back with open arms.

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

This anger is misdirected.  The blame truly resides with teams like the Texans and Eagles who are overpaying bad QB's, and thus setting the initial market high for a guy like Fitzpatrick. 

Loyalty doesn't happen in the NFL.  Teams can rip up contracts at any time.  Thus, I really don't give a sh*t when players want to maximize their worth.  I wasn't pissed at Revis during his holdout and I'm not pissed at Fitzpatrick now.  He's not a d*ck for doing this, he's behaving like 99 % of players do:  Trying to get as much as they can out of this league financially before their brains or bodies go to mush.

However, unlike Revis, I definitely don't advocate overpaying in this case.  Fitz isn't our future at the position, so we shouldn't be forced to tie ourselves to that horse for more than a year, MAYBE 2. 

If the Jets do bring back Fitz at a reasonable dollar figure, it'll be entertaining seeing how many people go from calling Fitz a d*ck to welcoming him back with open arms.

I won't be one of them.  As I said, I never liked Fitzpatrick.  I have no problem with Fitz strong arming the team.  And I'm sure he understands that, as a Jet fan, I think he's a dick.

4 minutes ago, section314 said:

I really feel that the Jets have turned the page on Fitz. Just a gut feeling.

I don't think so, it's a wait game. Plus Mac last week said the Jets wanted him back and the two parties should meet a middle ground. As for Fitz I haven't heard a word from him. If anyone has an interview please post. Right now though at this exact minute they don't have the cap space to sign him. I guess they can do it with a few restructured deals and a cut or two. If Marshall loves him so much let Mac redo your contract. We should find out soon but who knows this could go into the draft. 

8 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

I won't be one of them.  As I said, I never liked Fitzpatrick.  I have no problem with Fitz strong arming the team.  And I'm sure he understands that, as a Jet fan, I think he's a dick.

I think you made a funny. 

18 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Look I'm a big Revis fan. But his skills are visibly depreciating and in 2015 Fitz was much more essential to this team than Revis was. I wish last year at this time  there had been a prolonged negotiation period like this with Revis instead of grossly overpaying him on the first day he was a FA. Now we're stuck with a 40 million tab. 

So, I doubt Denver will "Blow Away" SF with an offer. So that leaves Fitzy's only options as going to  Denver and battle it out w/ Sanchez or back to the Jets with a good possibility of winning the starting job. Either way.... he's "ONLY" getting $7m- $9m/yr

Report: 49ers will keep Kaepernick unless they’re “blown away” with a trade offer

Colin KaepernickAP

The 49ers are poised to keep quarterback Colin Kaepernick through Friday, when his 2016 salary becomes guaranteed.

Ian Rapoport of NFL Network reports that Kaepernick is staying in San Francisco unless the 49ers are “blown away” with a trade offer. Spoiler alert: No one is going to “blow away” the 49ers with a trade offer for a quarterback who’s coming off a season in which he was benched for Blaine Gabbert. Kaepernick is staying put.

As PFT reported on Sunday, cutting Kaepernick before his salary becomes guaranteed on Sunday isn’t really an option for the 49ers. Kaepernick is still recovering from multiple surgeries, and if the 49ers were to cut him now, while he’s not yet 100 percent healed, he and the NFL Players Association would argue that the 49ers were on the hook for his salary.

The 49ers appear OK with keeping Kaepernick, as G.M. Trent Baalke and coach Chip Kelly have both said they like the idea of bringing him back and letting him compete with Gabbert for the starting job. Baalke remembers well that it was only three years ago that Kaepernick led the 49ers to the Super Bowl, and Kelly likes the possibilities of an athlete like Kaepernick running his offense, so it makes sense that they’d want to keep him.

So while there’s been plenty of talk about Kaepernick and the 49ers going their separate ways, that appears unlikely. From all indications, the 49ers are ready to pay Kaepernick his $11.9 million base salary, his $1.125 million roster bonus and his $400,000 offseason workout bonus, and to keep him on the roster this season.

Permalink 37 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, San Francisco 49ers, T

"Ok, Mark, we have a really good defense so just don't turn the ball over, 'kay?

"But I can throw the touchdowns for you"

"Listen Mark, Just don't turn the ball over"

"Ok, I throw touchdown pass for you"

"No, Mark. NO!"

22 hours ago, munchmemory said:

Until he was a Jet, I never thought much of Fitzpatrick (still don't really).  Now?  I think the guy is a complete dick for not re-signing with the team.

IMO, we're going nowhere next season with Fitz anyway.  What a great time to move on from "Mr. No Playoffs His Entire 11 Year Career" to Petty or someone in the draft. 

He has 147 kids and child care costs like $900 a minute these days. Really can't blame the guy.

14 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

yes I think Keap deal plays a part as well either way 10 -12 is where it will end up. The rumors we've been hearing... meh, I could care less probably none are true.

So what's your line in the sand? $12M with incentives to earn up to $16M if this or that happens (stats or team success)?

On 11/6/2015 at 3:24 PM, Jetdawgg said:

Isn't Ivory a FA after this season?

Ivory has already signed elsewhere. I want Fitz back but I agree with Mac's refusal to break the bank (or the cap) for him. He had a great season last year, but let's face it when he was playing elsewhere, and it didn't matter where, he didn't scare me. This season he will face a much tougher schedule and I don't expect him to duplicate last season's numbers. I wouldn't budge from 7 million a season for three years. I also think the Jets need to draft a QB every freaking year until they find the "one".

18 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

Hopefully this takes the 49ers out of the quarterback market in the draft too.

I doubt that very much. Kaepernick's decline and Gabbert's one shining moment to me is not nearly enough for SF to stand pat at QB. If Goff or Wentz is there they will take him.

25 minutes ago, peebag said:

"Ok, Mark, we have a really good defense so just don't turn the ball over, 'kay?

"But I can throw the touchdowns for you"

"Listen Mark, Just don't turn the ball over"

"Ok, I throw touchdown pass for you"

"No, Mark. NO!"

but if i throw touchdown pass for you, i can has hot dog?

Mac will have to monitor the Denver situation very closely, because I think they will up the ante for Fitzpatrick. They have to. Can you imagine going into the season with Mark Sanchez as your number one? Yes, in his early years he played the game manager role well and got a talented Jets defense to the AFCCG, but regressed after that due to changes at OC and a HC who was a buffoon. In Philly he had some shining moments, but reverted to the turnover machine we all knew him to be. Elway will now trow 10-12 mill at Fitzy and Jets better be prepared to match or prepare to go 4-12 with Geno. They might go 6-10 with McCown or Glennon, but let's face it, you don't come into a new system and succeed right away. The reason Fitz did is because he knew Gailey's system already.

29 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

So, I doubt Denver will "Blow Away" SF with an offer. So that leaves Fitzy's only options as going to  Denver and battle it out w/ Sanchez or back to the Jets with a good possibility of winning the starting job. Either way.... he's "ONLY" getting $7m- $9m/yr

Report: 49ers will keep Kaepernick unless they’re “blown away” with a trade offer

Colin KaepernickAP

The 49ers are poised to keep quarterback Colin Kaepernick through Friday, when his 2016 salary becomes guaranteed.

Ian Rapoport of NFL Network reports that Kaepernick is staying in San Francisco unless the 49ers are “blown away” with a trade offer. Spoiler alert: No one is going to “blow away” the 49ers with a trade offer for a quarterback who’s coming off a season in which he was benched for Blaine Gabbert. Kaepernick is staying put.

As PFT reported on Sunday, cutting Kaepernick before his salary becomes guaranteed on Sunday isn’t really an option for the 49ers. Kaepernick is still recovering from multiple surgeries, and if the 49ers were to cut him now, while he’s not yet 100 percent healed, he and the NFL Players Association would argue that the 49ers were on the hook for his salary.

The 49ers appear OK with keeping Kaepernick, as G.M. Trent Baalke and coach Chip Kelly have both said they like the idea of bringing him back and letting him compete with Gabbert for the starting job. Baalke remembers well that it was only three years ago that Kaepernick led the 49ers to the Super Bowl, and Kelly likes the possibilities of an athlete like Kaepernick running his offense, so it makes sense that they’d want to keep him.

So while there’s been plenty of talk about Kaepernick and the 49ers going their separate ways, that appears unlikely. From all indications, the 49ers are ready to pay Kaepernick his $11.9 million base salary, his $1.125 million roster bonus and his $400,000 offseason workout bonus, and to keep him on the roster this season.

Permalink 37 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, San Francisco 49ers, T

Didnt we just go over this yesterday????? His contract does not get guaranteed on Friday....

I think it's just spin by the 9ers. And Elway can see right through it. There is a good chance they will release Kap who might have worn out his welcome with the players and org past season. And Chip has been talking up Gabbert who might actually be his Qb in 2016. He also signed a good mobile Qb Thad Lewis who he likes and had with the Eagles last year. But could be the Broncos will draft a Qb and let him have a Qb competition with Mark in training camp. I kind of doubt they'd sign Fitz with Sanchez under contract and a good deal and cheaper than Ryan.

1 minute ago, Ex-Rex said:

Mac will have to monitor the Denver situation very closely, because I think they will up the ante for Fitzpatrick. They have to. Can you imagine going into the season with Mark Sanchez as your number one? Tes, in his early years he played the game manager role well and got a talented Jets defense to the AFCCG, but regressed after that due to changes at OC and a HC who was a buffoon. In Philly he had some shining moments, but reverted to the turnover machine we all knew him to be. Elway will now trow 10-12 mill at Fitzy and Jets better be prepared to match or prepare to go 4-12 with Geno. They might go 6-10 with McCown or Glennon, but let's face it, you don't come into a new system and succeed right away. The reason Fitz did is because he knew Gailey's system already.

It will be interesting to see if Denver guarantees him the starting job or will he have to compete with Sanchez.

I just cant see the Denver front office or the fans being happy at throwing money at Fitzpatrick, when they could have thrown money at Osweiler

3 minutes ago, Ex-Rex said:

Mac will have to monitor the Denver situation very closely, because I think they will up the ante for Fitzpatrick. They have to. Can you imagine going into the season with Mark Sanchez as your number one? Yes, in his early years he played the game manager role well and got a talented Jets defense to the AFCCG, but regressed after that due to changes at OC and a HC who was a buffoon. In Philly he had some shining moments, but reverted to the turnover machine we all knew him to be. Elway will now trow 10-12 mill at Fitzy and Jets better be prepared to match or prepare to go 4-12 with Geno. They might go 6-10 with McCown or Glennon, but let's face it, you don't come into a new system and succeed right away. The reason Fitz did is because he knew Gailey's system already.

If Denver wants to pay Fitz, they can have him. I'd rather go 4-12 with Geno  then give Fitz a 3 year deal and end up  7-9.  

1 hour ago, slats said:

I think you made a funny. 

Wish I had intended it.  Oh wait, I did.  Yeah...that's the ticket. :P

37 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Indeed, well, I hope Jet Fans are ready to lose 8-12 games behind Geno Smith too.  /shrug

We might experience the same with Fitz under center.  He's don it before.  And I still believe his performance last year was a fluke.  Plus, in my heart, I don't think Mcc and Bowles go to battle with Geno.  IMO, he's as good as gone.

33 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

He has 147 kids and child care costs like $900 a minute these days. Really can't blame the guy.

Word. 

10 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

We might experience the same with Fitz under center.  He's don it before.  And I still believe his performance last year was a fluke.  Plus, in my heart, I don't think Mcc and Bowles go to battle with Geno.  IMO, he's as good as gone.

Maybe.  I doubt we lose 8+ with Fitz.

I don't.  I think it was talent (around him), talent (his own skillset and ball protection) and system (the O-Co he had his best times with who knows him).

To replace Geno there actually has to be someone to replace him with.

Who is that exactly?  Glennon at the cost of a #1 pick?  A Draft Pick at #20'something?  Trade for Kaep for multiple #1 picks?

Who are we going to start then if not Geno?  

2 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

There's no reason for an argument. We don't really know what the true story is between Fitz, the Jets and other teams. As for Revis no wild speculation maybe he did get a similar offer. But considering the money he received and how fast the deal was made to me (pure speculation) it's highly doubtful. The Jets actually signed Revis the day after NEP declined his option. Cleveland and Oakland were rumored as interested but imo not at that price. 

I recall and Tons of Fun up in Buffalo made a late run as well.  I am sure there were other teams who called.  I don't doubt for a second that the Jets were the highest bidder, just because we are talking about Revis - some said he took less to come here but I doubt it.  However if you watch the last couple of years, the best free agents are signed in the first 48 hours of free agency.  The mere fact that it happened quickly is no indication of overpaying the market...it's just the way it works now.  The days of going on 5 free agent visits a la Reggie White are a thing of the past. 

Again, I hope he comes back, but if he had a better offer, he'd act on it and not just sit around.  He hasn't because he doesn't. 

2 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

Look I'm a big Revis fan. But his skills are visibly depreciating and in 2015 Fitz was much more essential to this team than Revis was. I wish last year at this time  there had been a prolonged negotiation period like this with Revis instead of grossly overpaying him on the first day he was a FA. Now we're stuck with a 40 million tab. 

The Revis deal is hardly the albatross you make it out to be.  Mac is brilliant for guaranteeing years instead of signing bonus.  He has 1.5 more guaranteed years.  So essentially we release him after 2017 with no cap ramification at all.  There was no better place to spend our money at the position last year.  I'm sure when we signed him, you were upset we didn't sign Maxwell instead for a $4M cap savings.

There is a difference between overpaying for what you get in production and overpaying based on what others offered.  Does Revis' production match his contract?  Of course not.  Was his contract when it was signed far in excess of the free agent market?  Clearly no based on the other contracts signed at the position last offseason.

1 hour ago, shuler82 said:

If Denver wants to pay Fitz, they can have him. I'd rather go 4-12 with Geno  then give Fitz a 3 year deal and end up  7-9.  

I agree except I don't see us going 4-12 (although the schedule is admittedly tougher than last year).  I think we can manage a 7-9, 8-8 with Geno at the helm.

1 hour ago, whodeawhodat said:

Didnt we just go over this yesterday????? His contract does not get guaranteed on Friday....

It's already guaranteed due to his injury. He had surgery. I doubt Denver pays $11.9m AND gives up any pick higher than a 4th

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Maybe.  I doubt we lose 8+ with Fitz.

I don't.  I think it was talent (around him), talent (his own skillset and ball protection) and system (the O-Co he had his best times with who knows him).

To replace Geno there actually has to be someone to replace him with.

Who is that exactly?  Glennon at the cost of a #1 pick?  A Draft Pick at #20'something?  Trade for Kaep for multiple #1 picks?

Who are we going to start then if not Geno?  

No idea.  And that's scary.  Gun to my head right now?  Give Petty a shot.

Archived