Ryan Fitzpatrick: MERGED

kelly

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 3/20/2016 at 3:37 PM, j4jets said:

We gave up 22 point including 3 after one of the picks. Whatever the D did, they still managed to keep us in the game. The offense managed 17 points. You don't expect to win games scoring 17 points. It's 100% on the offense. 

When the Jets lost to Pitt in the 2004 playoffs most Jet fans still blame the kicker Brien even though the offense scored 0 points..LOL

Well if no team wants to trade for Kap and give up a pick plus pay him full salary the only recourses for the 49ers are to either keep or release him. My guess is they will release him rather than pay him 12 mil per if other teams are unwilling to. In that case Kap might prefer being a free agent and signing with the team of his choice. Funny how Qbs can fall so fast. That's why I throw caution in the wind on this quest to find a franchise Qb. There just aren't too many of them who over a period of time are elite. But there are guys who aren't elite like Fitz who know how to play the position. 

Just now, Rangers9 said:

Well if no team wants to trade for Kap and give up a pick plus pay him full salary the only recourses for the 49ers are to either keep or release him. My guess is they will release him rather than pay him 12 mil per if other teams are unwilling to. In that case Kap might prefer being a free agent and signing with the team of his choice. Funny how Qbs and fall so fast. That's why I throw caution in the wind on this quest to find a franchise Qb. There just aren't too many of them who over a period of time are elite. But there are guys who aren't elite like Fitz who know how to play the position. 

Play the position is one thing making it to the playoffs is another Fitzpatrick has never been. 

5 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Play the position is one thing making it to the playoffs is another Fitzpatrick has never been. 

I think he can do it. For one thing the teams he's been on have sucked. Bowles said last year he thought that a player like Ryan who's played for a number of teams had maybe found the right landing spot. I thought it was a real smart observation by him. To me our best chance of winning is with Fitz in 2016. We aren't getting an elite franchise Qb for this season and the team can win now. With him. We were one great catch away from making the playoffs in '15.

On March 29, 2016 at 5:15 PM, Snell41 said:

I'm gonna Go out on a limb-I think DEN's exact plan is to go with Sanchez. Sanchez got quite far as a young player with a D not as good as DEN has now, he's more mature, has a couple years under a solid offensive mind, and will have great offensive minds in Kubiak and Elway around him in DEN. Seriously, is Fitz really a 9/10 mil upgrade over Sanchez? I don't think so. They will need a young prospect sooner or later. Why throw sh*t tons of money at an avg Fitz?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jets defense was better than the broncos D.  Were the NFLS best, hardly gave up TDs in 09. 

They also had a better OL and the number one running game in 09.  

Dont sell that team short. 

10 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

I think he can do it. For one thing the teams he's been on have sucked. Bowles said last year he thought that a player like Ryan who's played for a number of teams had maybe found the right landing spot. I thought it was a real smart observation by him. To me our best chance of winning is with Fitz in 2016. We aren't getting an elite franchise Qb for this season and the team can win now. With him. We were one great catch away from making the playoffs in '15.

Good points. Obviously, when a team goes from 4-12 to 10-6, you don't want to blow it up and make big changes. Consider that they won five out of their last six games and had the Chiefs not gone from 1-5 to 11-5 (somehow pulling ten in a row out of their a*s), this team is playoff bound. Nonetheless, they built a good foundation for next season. If anything, the offense should even improve with further chemistry, and if the defense remains stout, the team must absolutely upgrade special teams, another factor that likely kept the Jets out of the playoffs last year.

14 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Why is it never Fitzs fault that his teams suck?  

Why is every loss on Geno? 

None of the 8 wins as a rookie were on Geno.  

I.ve ask d others, never get a real answer.  What does Fitz bring to a team, outside of some mystical leadership. Can't throw long.  Can't throw with accuracy.  Can't push the ball downfield.  Can't fit the ball in tight places.  

Oh, and after 11 seasons still can't lead a team to a big win.  

21 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

If he failed to deliver last season its never gonna happen here with him at QB teams stack the box which hinders the running game because of his weak arm. 

1 hour ago, 77DRAFT said:

Broncos have brilliant coaching, a head coach that is a good OC, and Wade Phillips who is better than Bowles as their DC.

Our coaches have to lose at least 5 games a year on bad coaching decisions, happened with Rex and continues with our current

moron in training.

Which was the one of the 6 loses from last year that the players lost and not Bowles?:P

3 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

If he failed to deliver last season its never gonna happen here with him at QB teams stack the box which hinders the running game because of his weak arm. 

Ivory was one of the top backs in the league when healthy, and Powell did fine when healthy as well. 

Just now, joewilly12 said:

2 of the best WRs in the NFL 

They sure performed like that last season, but remember, Marshall was had for a late round pick...virtually any team could have signed him, and he had arguably his BEST season last season. Also, keep in mind they had ZERO production at tight end, which severely handicaps a quarterback. I think you and I can agree that they need to get better at that position.

3 minutes ago, UpstateJetsGuru said:

They sure performed like that last season, but remember, Marshall was had for a late round pick...virtually any team could have signed him, and he had arguably his BEST season last season. Also, keep in mind they had ZERO production at tight end, which severely handicaps a quarterback. I think you and I can agree that they need to get better at that position.

Need to add a burner as the #3 WR and a QB who can throw it deep. 

4 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Need to add a burner as the #3 WR and a QB who can throw it deep. 

I think Fitz needs to get rid of the ball earlier on deep patterns and recognize when guys are breaking open to compensate for his lack of deep arm strength. He may not be able to throw it 60, but surely he can throw it 45 to 50 and that is plenty of room for any receiver to gain separation and hit a big play provided the ball is thrown early enough. Part of his game he needs to work on. 

1 hour ago, joewilly12 said:

He didn't fail to deliver. He led the team to a 10-6 and it's not easy winning games in the NFL no matter who the opponent (if that's your argument). Teams like the Jags were pretty competitive. And the difference between teams with winning records and losing records was not that much. Sometimes a team (like the 2009 Jets) gets a lot of breaks to get into the playoffs.As a matter of fact the Jets were 9-7 in 2008 and in 2009 and only in '09 did they make the playoffs.  And I'm not taking anything away from them either. A win is a win and any team has to win close games plus beat teams with lower records. A lot of teams have made the playoffs the last game of the season. And on acrobatic catches by wide receivers. In this case Fitz put the Jets in position to win that last game. The receiver didn't make the great play. 

Just now, Rangers9 said:

He didn't fail to deliver. He led the team to a 10-6 and it's not easy winning games in the NFL no matter who the opponent (if that's your argument). Teams like the Jags were pretty competitive. And the difference between teams with winning records and losing records was not that much. Sometimes a team (like the 2009 Jets) gets a lot of breaks to get into the playoffs.As a matter of fact the Jets were 9-7 in 2008 and in 2009 and only in '09 did they make the playoffs.  And I'm not taking anything away from them either. A win is a win and any team has to win close games plus beat teams with lower records. A lot of teams have made the playoffs the last game of the season. And on acrobatic catches by wide receivers. In this case Fitz put the Jets in position to win that last game. The receiver didn't make the great play. 

He failed to deliver.

3 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

He failed to deliver.

I guess to your way of thinking it was Matt Ryan's fault that Atlanta didn't make the playoffs last season. And you can add Stafford and a few other supposedly franchise Qbs to that list. Come on man, it's not all on the Qb. Let our receiver make a Duper-Clayton kind of catch and we'll be calling Fitz, Dan Marino. 

I guess to your way of thinking it was Matt Ryan's fault that Atlanta didn't make the playoffs last season. And you can add Stafford and a few other supposedly franchise Qbs to that list. Come on man, it's not all on the Qb. Let our receiver make a Duper-Clayton kind of catch and we'll be calling Fitz, Dan Marino. 

3 INTs in the final 3 possessions of a winnable game is on the QB in this case his name is Fitzpatrick,whats fair is fair if this was Geno you guys would have called for his head. 

10 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

3 INTs in the final 3 possessions of a winnable game is on the QB in this case his name is Fitzpatrick,whats fair is fair if this was Geno you guys would have called for his head. 

Well the thing is Fitz got us to that game and Geno wouldn't have. And put us in a position to win it. And all those picks were in the 4th quarter with 2 of them in the last few minutes. Again your percentage chance of getting intercepted is in situations like that when the D knows you're throwing the ball. That's Football 101 and what happens with any Qb including good ones. 

Well the thing is Fitz got us to that game and Geno wouldn't have. And put us in a position to win it. And all those picks were in the 4th quarter with 2 of them in the last few minutes. Again your percentage chance of getting intercepted is in situations like that when the D knows you're throwing the ball. That's Football 101 and what happens with any Qb including good ones. 

It was the 16th game of the regular season no matter who the QB was we would have been there. 

3 hours ago, gEYno said:

Lol.  You expect some kind of restraint from the fan base that has previously anointed Brett Ratliff and Matt Simms? 

Nobody ever anointed Brett Ratliff all they asked for as did I was to give the guy a chance. he never got that chance and the second team he went too had 2 first round draft picks sucking it up in front of him so he never got the chance their either. If we didn't almost Kill Drew Bledsoe ever wonder how that scenario might have turned out ? Beldsoe not playing well could have forced the Pats hand to draft another QB since Brady was a 6th rounder and would have played second fiddle maybe never getting a chance. Funny how things turn out in this league sometimes but I think in the case of Fitz hes found a good fit no sense turning our backs on him now over a few Mil which is what It might turn out to be.

4 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

Sperm the deal is if Fitz plays well but the team has some of the same let downs as last year I don't just blame the QB as some do and I never will. He's one man and while his job is the most important on the field he's not a one man band. Fitz played well last year and we lost some games on some very bad plays and terrible special teams, that has got to change. Yes in the buffalo game Fitz did not play well but he was not terrible and trying to force things at the end into the wind is not a good scenario for any QB no matter how good an arm they have. The entire team let us down that day not Fitz although he was a part of the whole and did not play well all the drops and other factors played a large part. Fact is he protected the football all year rarely fumbled and had a good solid pocket presence something we have not seen here for years and it was his first year with the team and the teams first year in that offense. I think its something nice to build on and for Fitz to properly mentor a young QB like Petty. With the added edition of 2 solid RB's who are good receivers out of the backfield its will only help Fitz and give him more options if we have a TE show up it will be even better.

Fitz does not make the playoffs with a bad team that makes dumb mistakes. And while some QB's like an Aaron Rodgers can pull that off those teams with the elite QB's dragging them through the season always get exposed in the playoffs we have seen it time and time again.

Now another perspective in the absence of making the playoffs you could use the argument why pay a QB that kind of money if the team is old and missing the playoffs why not just rebuild and get a young QB that can grow with said rebuilding team, ??  I could be all for this and say bye bye but that's obviously not the route this regime of Macc and Bowles are taking they want to win now by signing a bunch of post 30 players and not having a viable option at QB would make all those signings a waste of time and money.

It's called establishing a winning culture. We had sucked under Rex in his last years  and the mindset needed an immediate change of heart.

32 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

You do not know whether Geno would have gotten us there or not. He has SIGNIFICANTLY better tools than Fitz in all areas. And Fitz is not a smart QB despite his "Harvard" reputation. The reality is that Gailey and Marshall made the Jets offense what it was and further Gailey actually had so little faith in Fitz that the offense consisted ENTIRELY of single read/checkdown plays where the ball was just thrown up to our twin large receivers, or a dumpoff to the RB. Even with that Fitz threw more interceptable balls that opponents had their hands on than any other QB in the NFL, Geno would have done just as well in the offense. It was an offense designed with a rookie-like player in mind that featured almost no actual decisions by the QB. And Fitz was still terrible and the offense was barely average with the best 1/2 WR combo in the league. Fitz is a crappy QB, and has always been a crappy QB. Last year was pure illusion.

5 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

Sperm the deal is if Fitz plays well but the team has some of the same let downs as last year I don't just blame the QB as some do and I never will. He's one man and while his job is the most important on the field he's not a one man band. Fitz played well last year and we lost some games on some very bad plays and terrible special teams, that has got to change. Yes in the buffalo game Fitz did not play well but he was not terrible and trying to force things at the end into the wind is not a good scenario for any QB no matter how good an arm they have. The entire team let us down that day not Fitz although he was a part of the whole and did not play well all the drops and other factors played a large part. Fact is he protected the football all year rarely fumbled and had a good solid pocket presence something we have not seen here for years and it was his first year with the team and the teams first year in that offense. I think its something nice to build on and for Fitz to properly mentor a young QB like Petty. With the added edition of 2 solid RB's who are good receivers out of the backfield its will only help Fitz and give him more options if we have a TE show up it will be even better.

Fitz does not make the playoffs with a bad team that makes dumb mistakes. And while some QB's like an Aaron Rodgers can pull that off those teams with the elite QB's dragging them through the season always get exposed in the playoffs we have seen it time and time again.

Now another perspective in the absence of making the playoffs you could use the argument why pay a QB that kind of money if the team is old and missing the playoffs why not just rebuild and get a young QB that can grow with said rebuilding team, ??  I could be all for this and say bye bye but that's obviously not the route this regime of Macc and Bowles are taking they want to win now by signing a bunch of post 30 players and not having a viable option at QB would make all those signings a waste of time and money.

Sounds like a lot of excuse-making to me, for a guy you'd be willing to have us pay $16M.

All I asked was what you'd be willing to pay him (had to ask twice) and you respond with this me-length rationalization post.

I asked for a number. I think your number is ridiculous but, well, we just don't agree on that. You're allowed to be wrong. :)

51 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

You do not know whether Geno would have gotten us there or not. He has SIGNIFICANTLY better tools than Fitz in all areas. And Fitz is not a smart QB despite his "Harvard" reputation. The reality is that Gailey and Marshall made the Jets offense what it was and further Gailey actually had so little faith in Fitz that the offense consisted ENTIRELY of single read/checkdown plays where the ball was just thrown up to our twin large receivers, or a dumpoff to the RB. Even with that Fitz threw more interceptable balls that opponents had their hands on than any other QB in the NFL, Geno would have done just as well in the offense. It was an offense designed with a rookie-like player in mind that featured almost no actual decisions by the QB. And Fitz was still terrible and the offense was barely average with the best 1/2 WR combo in the league. Fitz is a crappy QB, and has always been a crappy QB. Last year was pure illusion.

So, going into that 4th quarter against the Bills, Fitz had 31 TD's to 12 INT's on the year and was 12-4 in his last 16 NFL starts (with 37 TD's) and no red zone pics all year...somehow, without an arm or brains, he pulls these ridiculously good numbers off...and he was terrible? Wow, can anything be so flawed and absurd as the above quote. Just bizarre...

6 minutes ago, UpstateJetsGuru said:

So, going into that 4th quarter against the Bills, Fitz had 31 TD's to 12 INT's on the year and was 12-4 in his last 16 NFL starts (with 37 TD's) and no red zone pics all year...somehow, without an arm or brains, he pulls these ridiculously good numbers off...and he was terrible? Wow, can anything be so flawed and absurd as the above quote. Just bizarre...

But it is true.

Here is an article that points to some of the points:

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2016/03/nfl-new-york-jets-free-agent-contract-geno-smith

What we saw was scheme and Brandon Marshall's playmaking ability and catch radius which opened up Decker to being single teamed. Teams never really figured out how to defend the corner/post/seam route that Decker ran from the slot when BM was double teamed. 

It still amazes me that people want to give all the credit to Fitz when it was mostly Gailey and Marshall, and all the blame on Geno when his struggles were mostly Marty and possibly the worst set of offensive skill players in the NFL.

Fitz season was a pure illusion, just like Sanchez' 2011 Red zone efficiency. Fitz had a nice 5 game run against terrible teams, yet Geno's nice 4 game run to end the season 2 years ago is completely discounted.

Reality is that Fitz is INCREDIBLLY overrated by Jets fans here. I just hope Denver is stupid enough to sign him.

20 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

But it is true.

Here is an article that points to some of the points:

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2016/03/nfl-new-york-jets-free-agent-contract-geno-smith

What we saw was scheme and Brandon Marshall's playmaking ability and catch radius which opened up Decker to being single teamed. Teams never really figured out how to defend the corner/post/seam route that Decker ran from the slot when BM was double teamed. 

It still amazes me that people want to give all the credit to Fitz when it was mostly Gailey and Marshall, and all the blame on Geno when his struggles were mostly Marty and possibly the worst set of offensive skill players in the NFL.

Fitz season was a pure illusion, just like Sanchez' 2011 Red zone efficiency. Fitz had a nice 5 game run against terrible teams, yet Geno's nice 4 game run to end the season 2 years ago is completely discounted.

Reality is that Fitz is INCREDIBLLY overrated by Jets fans here. I just hope Denver is stupid enough to sign him.

Well, if what you say is true and so logical and convincing, why do you think that the Jets are still waiting/negotiating with Fitz and have not embraced Geno as their starter or another free agent QB. They had their chance with RG3. It would seem that Fitz is not only overrated on this board but by coaches and management in the Jets organization. Surely they should be smart enough to see what you so clearly and eloquently lay out on here.

Archived