The road ahead: 2016 version

T0mShane

So, we're likely going to enter into an arranged marriage with Ryan Fitzpatrick soon; one that will necessitate cutting Brick or trading Mo Wilkerson, and we'll enter the 2016 season with minimal chance to win a goddamn thing because the QB doesn't throw the football well enough and our pass rush is about as intimidating as Danny Bonaduce. Here, I offer an alternative path ahead that might seem unpalatable to you at first, but only if you're a short-sighted twit.

1. Trade Mo to a sh*t team like the Jaguars or Raiders: they both have cap space. They both have needs on the DL. The Jags, in particular, have tried and failed to land a big DE in free agency, and they still have tons of cap room to get it done. Mo is a lovely young player who will be overpaid for what he is, and though it's usually bad business to trade an established players for picks, the Jets are uniquely positioned to take the gamble. Though Sheldon Richardson is a nutbag and Leonard Williams ran hot and cold last year, there's still enough depth on the roster to mask losing a guy like Wilkerson in the short term. Bonus? Because both the Jags and Raiders are trash organizations, the move will never come back to haunt us.

2. Let Fitz walk: If we're being real here, winning ten games in 2015 with Fitz at QB sucked. It was like repairing your about-to-explode septic tank with duct tape. Now this mother****er thinks he deserves in excess of $10 mil per? Screw him. While he's a good dude and a great leader, and he played somewhat well for us last year, he showed his true colors in Buffalo when he simply needed to play "OK" football. Instead, his limp-wristed eephus pitch throwing arm basically shat away any positive vibes anyone in the building had about last season, and he should be paid based on his full history and not just a couple of games last year against weak sisters. There is literally zero market for Fitzpatrick at all, so the Jets are essentially negotiating against themselves. They should sit tight and hope some dope team like the Rams gets desperate and "steals" Fitzpatrick away in a week or two. 

3. Start Petty, stash Geno: Whether or not Petty is ready is irrelevant. He's been on an NFL roster long enough to be at least competitive against an opposing NFL defense, and if he's not he'll likely never be ready anyway. He's bigger than Fitz, a better athlete than Fitz, and he's got twice the arm of Fitz. Even with Fitz's "career year," he didn't even complete 60% of his passes and his YPA was under 7, which is gross. Would Petty throw a bunch of picks? Probably. But he'd also (maybe) bring back a downfield passing element that was non-existent in 2015. I still weep for Devin Smith when I think of his attempts to fair catch some of the 30-yard bombs Fitzpatrick fluttered in his general direction. Geno throws a nice deep ball too, but come on.

4. Go Full Al Davis in the draft: The Jets defense was one of the least athletic groups in the history of the sport last year, and the offense wasn't far behind. While not being a dope about it, Maccagnan should prioritize triangle numbers over most else at each slot. If, at 20, he's looking at an offensive tackle or WR Corey Coleman, he should take Corey Coleman. If, in Round Two, he's trying to pick between another DE to replace Mo or Su'a Cravens, he should take Cravens. It disgusts me to recall the sight of Calvin Pace and Quentin Coples trying to chase Tyrod Taylor to the edges, and it's time to take some risks on guys who can move, even if you're forfeiting some muscle. On offense, the jets need to find players that can play in space. As neat as it is to watch Decker and Marshall push off on DBs for scores, it'd be nice to have a single dude who can take a five-yard pass and advance it twenty yards by themselves. 

5. Give a bunch of snaps at CB to Milliner and McDougle whether or not they earn them: the most disappointing decision by the new regime so far was the one that resulted in Antonio Cromartie being re-signed and then handed a starting job for the entire year. Not only did he suck, but he blocked any chance for one of the young corners to step in and show anything. CB, like QB, is a position where confidence is everything, and not letting Milliner, McDougle, Darrin Walls, and Marcus Williams to get on the field more because of Cromartie and Buster Skrine was a mistake. The Jets are going to have to make a call on Revis' contract as soon as next year, to boot, so it's imperative to find out what he has at the position immediately.

6. Hire Karl Dunbar immediately: Needs to explanation

7. Consider Cardale Jones as early as Round Two: Jones may well be a meathead, but he's the most physically gifted passer in this draft and next year's. The Jets need a wild card candidate to emerge at both QB and edge rusher, so a Rd1, Rd2 parlay of Noah Spence and Cardale Jones would be risky, but justified.

10 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

7. Consider Cardale Jones as early as Round Two: Jones may well be a meathead, but he's the most physically gifted passer in this draft and next year's. The Jets need a wild card candidate to emerge at both QB and edge rusher, so a Rd1, Rd2 parlay of Noah Spence and Cardale Jones would be risky, but justified.

It's never going to happen . This GM has told us time and time again that he has to hit on the picks in the 1st 3 rounds . You don't take chances in those rounds with that mindset .

In this scenario you've traded Mo, didn't resign Fitz, cut the starting LT and have turned over all sorts of positions to rookies. And asked the draft to be all Al Davis. 

The problem with this 'tear it all down' plan is the fundamental idea that making the team lose games will help the franchise in the long run. The idea that the team needs to take a few steps backwards in W-L to ultimately take a step forward and win a championship.  It's great on paper. 

but 9 times out of 10 that's not how it works in the NFL. 

there's no Lebron James that will save the franchise. Losing franchises mostly stay losers. Winning franchises have experience winning. there's a reason why the Titans and the Jags pick top 5 every year. There is no such thing as rebuilding in the NFL, just reloading, every year. 

Like take Fitz for example, they won 10 games with him last year. Let's say they win 9 or 10 again this year. Even if Fitz can't win a SB, all those guys getting playoff experience helps them in the future. The alternative, starting Petty and Milliner and hoping for the best is Idzik-ism. Cap space never made a play. 

2 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Except the Cardale stuff, which has to stop.

I actually like Cardale at rd3 prices over Lynch at rd1 prices. If they are going to take a QB that needs multiple years of seasoning, don't do it in rd 1. 

Just now, bitonti said:

I actually like Cardale at rd3 prices over Lynch at rd1 prices. If they are going to take a QB that needs multiple years of seasoning, don't do it in rd 1. 

I agree with the logic, just not the player. Bryce Petty in all likelihood sucks out loud, but he went in the 4th, and Cardale doesn't have half the resume he does.

2 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

I agree with the logic, just not the player. Bryce Petty in all likelihood sucks out loud, but he went in the 4th, and Cardale doesn't have half the resume he does.

What he lacks in resume he makes up for in physical gifts 

2 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

Fans are not going to like it, but the BPA when we pick in this draft even if it's a need pick could be a defensive player  .

maybe, if they stay at 20.  i think mccags will look to trade back and get more picks.  and i'll say it again, cook is an option late 1st round.  he has 1st round talent, would have been a 1st rounder last year, and comes from a pro style offense.  his arm is fine.  

2 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

maybe, if they stay at 20.  i think mccags will look to trade back and get more picks.  and i'll say it again, cook is an option late 1st round.  he has 1st round talent, would have been a 1st rounder last year, and comes from a pro style offense.  his arm is fine.  

He also couldn't crack 60% against Big Ten defenses. What is it with this fan base and QBs who can't hit water from a rowboat?

I agree with the vast majority here. I'd be happy to get Fitz back for what the Jets are offering I won't be upset if he lands elsewhere. He's not a long term solution. At all. 

However, I wouldn't be handing jobs out at QB or CB, the best players would play. Even if that means Geno. 

Jets need to get much more athletic, but I want/expect Maccagnan to stick to a BAP philosophy - especially early. Hopefully that translates to greater team speed across the board. You know Bowles is certainly an advocate, at least on the defensive side. 

1 - I agree that most likely the best thing is to trade Mo Wilk, the alternative is to probably lose him to fa next year.  Hate to see him go becasue Shel Rich is a donkey.

2 - I don't agree that winning 10 with Fitz sucked,  the offense for the 1st time in YEARS looked like it had a clue and was pretty good every game except that last one.  Fitz is no great tier 1 QB but people have awful shot memories when it comes to the total shi* we have had at the position for years.  Having said all of that the Jets do have a price point and should stick to it, no way we are going to or should over pay for Fitz because other teams are totally stupid, so if he wants too much money, see ya.

3 - No, do not start Petty, if Fitz goes the team will get some other vet semi jag they hope Gailey can do something with.  If Geno is still around he will for sure start ahead of petty, the horrors!

4 - Well I wouldn't go as far as going full Al Davis but agree with your point we need speed players, especially at olb.  I'll be pissed if we take slower 'set the edge' olbs.

5 - The best CB's should play, the coaching staff did not do that last year when Cro sucked early in the year, he should have been yanked earlier. 

6 - Dunbar is no better than who we have right now.  Mo Wilk had his best year as a pro without Dunbar who has some rigid thinking.  (Not allowed to do spin moves.)

7 - No, The guy could not hold the starting spot in college, fug that.   He has a worse resume than Geno and we want to use another 2nd rounder?  If we don;t get a Qb in the 1st round go mid rounds. 

8 - Under no circumstance do we allow Tom Shane to start any game day threads.

13 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

He also couldn't crack 60% against Big Ten defenses. What is it with this fan base and QBs who can't hit water from a rowboat?

this is a bit perplexing.  i have seen him make some real good throws.  his td/int ratio is also very good.  22 picks in 43 games, compared to 71 tds.

1 hour ago, Augustiniak said:

I am a huge fan of the trade back this year.  I am a huge fan of trading Brick and One of the defensive lineman this yr .  I want more picks in the middle rounds because I see a ton of talent that can help us build a solid roster and keep the cap down . 

5 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

I am a huge fan of the trade back this year.  I am a huge fan of trading Brick and One of the defensive lineman this yr .  I want more picks in the middle rounds because I see a ton of talent that can help us build a solid roster and keep the cap down . 

agreed.  i just wonder what the jets think of lynch and cook, b/c it's too difficult to see all these other team draft qbs every year and some fans are actually worried fitz won't be here for 1 more season.  

4 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

agreed.  i just wonder what the jets think of lynch and cook, b/c it's too difficult to see all these other team draft qbs every year and some fans are actually worried fitz won't be here for 1 more season.  

I can tell you what I think .  Cook can start for this team in 2017 while it's my belief that Lynch is a bigger project than Petty .  I have made this statement before , but I like only a few QBs in this draft

Carson Wentz

Connor Cook

Christian Hackenberg

Jacoby Brissett

All these guys have played in pro style offense taking snaps under center and all possess the requisite skill set to play Football in the North East .

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

So, we're likely going to enter into an arranged marriage with Ryan Fitzpatrick soon; one that will necessitate cutting Brick or trading Mo Wilkerson, and we'll enter the 2016 season with minimal chance to win a goddamn thing because the QB doesn't throw the football well enough and our pass rush is about as intimidating as Danny Bonaduce. Here, I offer an alternative path ahead that might seem unpalatable to you at first, but only if you're a short-sighted twit.

1. Trade Mo to a sh*t team like the Jaguars or Raiders: they both have cap space. They both have needs on the DL. The Jags, in particular, have tried and failed to land a big DE in free agency, and they still have tons of cap room to get it done. Mo is a lovely young player who will be overpaid for what he is, and though it's usually bad business to trade an established players for picks, the Jets are uniquely positioned to take the gamble. Though Sheldon Richardson is a nutbag and Leonard Williams ran hot and cold last year, there's still enough depth on the roster to mask losing a guy like Wilkerson in the short term. Bonus? Because both the Jags and Raiders are trash organizations, the move will never come back to haunt us.

I can't argue with this.

2. Let Fitz walk: If we're being real here, winning ten games in 2015 with Fitz at QB sucked. It was like repairing your about-to-explode septic tank with duct tape. Now this mother****er thinks he deserves in excess of $10 mil per? Screw him. While he's a good dude and a great leader, and he played somewhat well for us last year, he showed his true colors in Buffalo when he simply needed to play "OK" football. Instead, his limp-wristed eephus pitch throwing arm basically shat away any positive vibes anyone in the building had about last season, and he should be paid based on his full history and not just a couple of games last year against weak sisters. There is literally zero market for Fitzpatrick at all, so the Jets are essentially negotiating against themselves. They should sit tight and hope some dope team like the Rams gets desperate and "steals" Fitzpatrick away in a week or two. 

I can't argue with the let Fitz go for 10mm per year logic.

3. Start Petty, stash Geno: Whether or not Petty is ready is irrelevant. He's been on an NFL roster long enough to be at least competitive against an opposing NFL defense, and if he's not he'll likely never be ready anyway. He's bigger than Fitz, a better athlete than Fitz, and he's got twice the arm of Fitz. Even with Fitz's "career year," he didn't even complete 60% of his passes and his YPA was under 7, which is gross. Would Petty throw a bunch of picks? Probably. But he'd also (maybe) bring back a downfield passing element that was non-existent in 2015. I still weep for Devin Smith when I think of his attempts to fair catch some of the 30-yard bombs Fitzpatrick fluttered in his general direction. Geno throws a nice deep ball too, but come on.

If you let Fitz go you have to 1) Bring in someone else that can at least compete 2) You can't give Petty the job, has to be a real open competition in camp.

4. Go Full Al Davis in the draft: The Jets defense was one of the least athletic groups in the history of the sport last year, and the offense wasn't far behind. While not being a dope about it, Maccagnan should prioritize triangle numbers over most else at each slot. If, at 20, he's looking at an offensive tackle or WR Corey Coleman, he should take Corey Coleman. If, in Round Two, he's trying to pick between another DE to replace Mo or Su'a Cravens, he should take Cravens. It disgusts me to recall the sight of Calvin Pace and Quentin Coples trying to chase Tyrod Taylor to the edges, and it's time to take some risks on guys who can move, even if you're forfeiting some muscle. On offense, the jets need to find players that can play in space. As neat as it is to watch Decker and Marshall push off on DBs for scores, it'd be nice to have a single dude who can take a five-yard pass and advance it twenty yards by themselves. 

Speed is what you need.

micky-trainer.jpg

5. Give a bunch of snaps at CB to Milliner and McDougle whether or not they earn them: the most disappointing decision by the new regime so far was the one that resulted in Antonio Cromartie being re-signed and then handed a starting job for the entire year. Not only did he suck, but he blocked any chance for one of the young corners to step in and show anything. CB, like QB, is a position where confidence is everything, and not letting Milliner, McDougle, Darrin Walls, and Marcus Williams to get on the field more because of Cromartie and Buster Skrine was a mistake. The Jets are going to have to make a call on Revis' contract as soon as next year, to boot, so it's imperative to find out what he has at the position immediately.

I disagree on Cromartie and Skrine. Since there was no problem cap wise walking away this year I think they had to go over kill last year. Because the year before was so bad.  I know the "stats" on Skrine were terrible. But I don't think he was as bad as people say.

Darrin Walls has potential and I don't think he saw the field enough. But he got beat out by Marcus Williams. At some point they are going to have to figure out what they have in Dee Milliner though.

This is interesting. The Jets were two victories over the Buffalo Bills away from the # 1 seed. That is so damn scary. And Ryan Fitzpatrick's two worst games were against the Bills. If you bring Fitz back, having Dunbar in a consulting roll would make sense just to get inside intel on how Buffalo game plan against Fitz.

Can they draft the 2014 version of Cardale?

2 hours ago, bitonti said:

In this scenario you've traded Mo, didn't resign Fitz, cut the starting LT and have turned over all sorts of positions to rookies. And asked the draft to be all Al Davis. 

The problem with this 'tear it all down' plan is the fundamental idea that making the team lose games will help the franchise in the long run. The idea that the team needs to take a few steps backwards in W-L to ultimately take a step forward and win a championship.  It's great on paper. 

but 9 times out of 10 that's not how it works in the NFL. 

there's no Lebron James that will save the franchise. Losing franchises mostly stay losers. Winning franchises have experience winning. there's a reason why the Titans and the Jags pick top 5 every year. There is no such thing as rebuilding in the NFL, just reloading, every year. 

Like take Fitz for example, they won 10 games with him last year. Let's say they win 9 or 10 again this year. Even if Fitz can't win a SB, all those guys getting playoff experience helps them in the future. The alternative, starting Petty and Milliner and hoping for the best is Idzik-ism. Cap space never made a play. 

What franchise has Lebron saved? 

2 hours ago, dbatesman said:

When did Bryce Petty beat Wisconsin in the Big 10 Championship game and then stomp all over Bama and Oregon in a playoff on the way to a National Championship?

;-)

16 minutes ago, JiF said:

When did Bryce Petty beat Wisconsin in the Big 10 Championship game and then stomp all over Bama and Oregon in a playoff on the way to a National Championship?

;-)

Tanking the season with Petty at helm to get Watson might be the smartest post Shane.com has ever typed

How do you guys know Mac isn't planning on trading Mo for someone's 2017 1st rounder? We need a f*cking QB and with the Browns picking at #2 this year I can see them taking Wentz or Goff. 

If Mac was smart he'd be loading up on picks to make sure he has the most ammo to get Watson next year. It's about time this team figured out how to solve this QB issue we find ourselves in all of the time. 

Trade Mo for a 4th this year & a 1st in 2017. Now you have 15.7 million more off of your cap to add to next years windfall when DBrick & his ridiculous contract comes off the books. Look to draft Dbrick & Harris replacements THIS YEAR and another Dlineman. We'll have a ton of money available next year to go after a stud vet OLB. Harris takes a huge pay cut in 2017 or you cut him.

Unless Fitz is willing to take what the Jets are offering him, move on & start Geno to finally put everyone's mind to rest on whether he can run Gaileys offense having stud offensive weapons in Marshall, Decker, Forte. 2 things will happen, he proves everyone wrong & the Jets have trade bait in the 2017 offseason & Petty would have another year learning under Gailey. Or he sh*ts the bed and we go to Petty earlier than expected, likely lose too many games to compete but put us in fantastic position for the 2017 draft with 2 1st round picks to do what we have to do to get Watson. The only teams you need to get ahead of are the Rams, 49ers, Cowboys & Bears & 2 of those teams might take a 1st round QB this year making it easier to get Watson.

I've been a Jet fan for over 4 decades so I'm completely fine seeing an average team, bringing along some young players, with the arrow pointing towards our future in a Bradyless AFC East with a young stud QB like Watson so we can finally enjoy 10-15 years having a franchise QB & vying for AFC east titles every year. Just looking at our schedule next year tells me that whether Fitz resigns or not the Pats will again take the division with the Jets scraping to get to 9-7. Do it Macc! I'll back you 100%!

6 minutes ago, Jetster said:

How do you guys know Mac isn't planning on trading Mo for someone's 2017 1st rounder? We need a f*cking QB and with the Browns picking at #2 this year I can see them taking Wentz or Goff. 

If Mac was smart he'd be loading up on picks to make sure he has the most ammo to get Watson next year. It's about time this team figured out how to solve this QB issue we find ourselves in all of the time. 

Trade Mo for a 4th this year & a 1st in 2017. Now you have 15.7 million more off of your cap to add to next years windfall when DBrick & his ridiculous contract comes off the books. Look to draft Dbrick & Harris replacements THIS YEAR and another Dlineman. We'll have a ton of money available next year to go after a stud vet OLB. Harris takes a huge pay cut in 2017 or you cut him.

Unless Fitz is willing to take what the Jets are offering him, move on & start Geno to finally put everyone's mind to rest on whether he can run Gaileys offense having stud offensive weapons in Marshall, Decker, Forte. 2 things will happen, he proves everyone wrong & the Jets have trade bait in the 2017 offseason & Petty would have another year learning under Gailey. Or he sh*ts the bed and we go to Petty earlier than expected, likely lose too many games to compete but put us in fantastic position for the 2017 draft with 2 1st round picks to do what we have to do to get Watson. The only teams you need to get ahead of are the Rams, 49ers, Cowboys & Bears & 2 of those teams might take a 1st round QB this year making it easier to get Watson.

I've been a Jet fan for over 4 decades so I'm completely fine seeing an average team, bringing along some young players, with the arrow pointing towards our future in a Bradyless AFC East with a young stud QB like Watson so we can finally enjoy 10-15 years having a franchise QB & vying for AFC east titles every year. Just looking at our schedule next year tells me that whether Fitz resigns or not the Pats will again take the division with the Jets scraping to get to 9-7. Do it Macc! I'll back you 100%!

NOW THIS IS A PLAN!!!

Because you know, I know and everyone knows, the Jets are not winning the division, the aint making the playoffs and therefore they sure as hell arent winning the Super Bowl. 

So ride or die with Geno.  It's win/win.  He's blossoms and we have a franchise QB.  He sucks and we draft a franchise QB.

Or lets dick around with Fitzpatrick or some other sh*tty vet and be right back in the same spot for the next few years. Good, but not good enough. Bad, but not bad enough.

4 minutes ago, Jetster said:

i'd be mildly surprised if the jets didn't draft either lynch or cook, since by the 2nd round these qbs should start falling.  at what point does mccags go all in on a qb?  maybe not this year, with only 6 picks.  at some point woody is going to want to know, though, when mccags is going to get him the franchise qb that enough other teams around the league are drafting and that bradway, tanny and idzki couldn't get.

Archived