Jets' Plan JMcC: Inquired about TRADING for Brown's McCown

Gas2No99

Josh McCown - QB -  Browns

ESPN New York's Rich Cimini reports the Jets "have interest" in acquiring Josh McCown.

The Jets have been at a stalemate with free agent Ryan Fitzpatrick and have begun discussing other options. In Cleveland, McCown seems likely to be the odd man out with coach Hue Jackson wanting to go with a veteran -- likely Robert Griffin III -- and an early-round rookie. The Jets would prefer McCown be released rather than having to trade for him, but Cimini ranks McCown as the most likely quarterback to land with the Jets should they not re-sign Fitzpatrick.

Source: ESPN.com 
Mar 23 - 2:36 PM

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OKay we have to talk about this. If true, then you couldn't scream any louder: "we're drafting a qb in round 1"

Everything they've done continues to suggest that finding a vet QB right now is nothing more than for insurance purposes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ranking the options the Jets could pursue for a starting quarterback

By Dicky Chitmini

BOCA RATON, Fla. -- You may have heard: The New York Jets have a serious quarterback issue.

Ryan Fitzpatrick is unsigned, the two sides are far apart and the team, preparing for life without Fitzpatrick, has formulated Plan B, C and D, according to coach Todd Bowles. He declined to reveal his fallback options, except to say Geno Smith will be in the mix.

The Jets can't go into the season with Smith, Bryce Petty and a rookie, so they'd almost certainly add a veteran in the coming weeks. Which one? Based on intel gathered at the NFL owners' meetings, which concluded Wednesday, here's a ranking of the options:

1. Josh McCownCleveland Browns: New coach Hue Jackson is rebuilding the quarterback position, and it sounds like he wants to go with a yet-to-be-acquired veteran and a rookie. They can draft their quarterback of the future, Carson Wentz or Jared Goff, with the No. 2 overall pick. McCown, due to make $4.4 million, is the likely odd-man out. The Jets, who met with McCown last February before trading for Fitzpatrick, have interest. They'd rather wait until he's released, which seems inevitable, but that could be a few more weeks. The 36-year-old McCown is 18-39 as a starter.

2. Colin KaepernickSan Francisco 49ers: One coach at the meetings predicted Kaepernick will end up with the Jets. That would require a trade because it sounds like new coach Chip Kelly has no intention of cutting Kaepernick, whose $11.9 million salary becomes guaranteed on April 1. Of course, it could be posturing. The 49ers are reportedly seeking a second-round pick, which is more than the Jets -- or any other team -- are willing to pay at this time. The Jets would rather hold on to their picks since they only have six. The Browns and Denver Broncos also are interested.

3. Robert Griffin III, free agent: The Jets have downplayed their interest, characterizing their recent meeting with RG III as a "meet and greet." Could that change? Sure, if they get desperate. They'd be buying risk and baggage, but Griffin still has some upside -- that is, if you believe his fantastic rookie year in 2012 wasn't a fluke. He has lost 15 of his last 20 starts. He also met with the Browns.

4. Mike GlennonTampa Bay BuccaneersJameis Winston is the man in Tampa, so the Bucs could look to trade Glennon before he becomes a free agent after the season. Bucs officials downplayed the possibility of a trade, but that could change if they get the right offer. Glennon rode the bench last season, but he showed some potential in 2013 and 2014, throwing 29 touchdowns against only 15 interceptions.

5. Brian HoyerHouston TexansThe Jets showed interest last March before dealing for Fitzpatrick. The Texans are committed to the recently-signed Brock Osweiler, so Hoyer ($4 million salary) figures to be a goner. It's hard to imagine the Jets trading for Hoyer, so they'd probably wait until he's released. He was brutal in last season's playoff loss, but he put up respectable numbers during the season.

Please, no, just no:

http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/79967/examining-josh-mccown-and-the-jets-other-quarterback-options

1. Josh McCown, Cleveland Browns: New coach Hue Jackson is rebuilding the quarterback position, and it sounds like he wants to go with a yet-to-be-acquired veteran and a rookie. They can draft their quarterback of the future,Carson Wentz or Jared Goff, with the No. 2 overall pick. McCown, due to make $4.4 million, is the likely odd-man out. The Jets, who met with McCown last February before trading for Fitzpatrick, have interest. They'd rather wait until he's released, which seems inevitable, but that could be a few more weeks. The 36-year-old McCown is 18-39 as a starter.

More and more the Jets Qb situation is coming down to:

Do you want to get kicked in the Nuts?

Hit your thumb with a hammer three times?

Roll naked on a bed of porcupines?

Have your wife make an awesome meal but reveal it is only for your inlaws to eat?

4 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Link?

1 minute ago, JiF said:

+ 1 and fast because my brains really dont want to get blown out. 

The link in is the thread I started. 

MODS!!!! COMBINE LIKE VOLTRON!!!!

Just now, chirorob said:

Wow.   that's a smokescreen.  To cover the massive dumpster fire that is our QB situation.

they want a qb early.  they accomplish 2 things with all this nonsense.  first, they are proving they do have options besides fitz, and they do, whether they are good or not.  second, they really haven't been linked to any of the top qb prospects.

Just now, JiF said:

Tell me to put the gun down...please!!!!

haha

And people said they wouldnt watch if Geno was QB?

OMG

News of Brussels, Phife Dawg, and now POSSIBLY trading for McCown - $HIIIIITTTTTTY week of bad news and it's ONLY WEDNESDAY!

If this is true the team is saying, as long as we have a QB that can handle the basics of the

position our talent & scheme will make him successful.  McCown's career is similar to Fitzpatrick

3 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

they want a qb early.  they accomplish 2 things with all this nonsense.  first, they are proving they do have options besides fitz, and they do, whether they are good or not.  second, they really haven't been linked to any of the top qb prospects.

well i have the option of not coming to work, just saying...

15 minutes ago, Paradis said:

OKay we have to talk about this. If true, then you could scream any louder: "we're drafting a qb in round 1"

Everything they've done continues to suggest that finding a QB right now is nothing more than for insurance purposes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Or that they quietly may believe that Petty is the "answer".

So where is the link saying theyre interested?

Not as in they've talked about him, as in theyre actually thinking of signing him.  They were interested in Kaep, RG3 and just about any QB who was on a team a year ago if you believe what you read.

i dont

2 minutes ago, KRL said:

If this is true the team is saying, as long as we have a QB that can handle the basics of the

position our talent & scheme will make him successful.  McCown's career is similar to Fitzpatrick

Agreed, if he can stay healthy he's not any worse than fitz

2 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Not as in they've talked about him, as in theyre actually thinking of signing him.  They were interested in Kaep, RG3 and just about any QB who was on a team a year ago if you believe what you read.

i dont

was in newspaper this morning

8 minutes ago, BklynJetsFan85 said:

was in newspaper this morning

Newspapers have links.  Which paper, what was the report.  Again, that they might talk to him?  They did talk to him?  They want him?  They will make an offer?

All different ranges of interest.  

15 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

i dont

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2627109-josh-mccown-latest-news-rumors-speculation-on-browns-qbs-future

20 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

I read that the Jets sent a sh!tload of scouts and staff to all the QB pro days for the top prospects.  I might have read it somewhere on JN, I don't have a link.

5 minutes ago, GoingToMyGraveGreen said:

Thanks!  So they may be interested if McCown is let out of his deal in Cleveland.  If they sign RG3.  And if they dont draft a QB?  Then maybe we're interested as per a report Cimini heard.

Its a could be, maybe, who really knows thing?  And of course all could be smoke to move Fitz and his deal along.

Not saying it couldnt happen because to me McCown is very Fitz like, with an actual arm.  Dont think youre losing a whole lot here and would save tons of cap $s.  McCown might be more Fitz like in 2016 than Fitz.

Just now, Dcat said:

I read that the Jets sent a sh!tload of scouts and staff to all the QB pro days for the top prospects.  I might have read it somewhere on JN, I don't have a link.

yes i remember reading that too.  but the overwhelming thought based on what i read, is that the jets want fitz back and they need pass rushers and a LT prospect.  and they do.  

i think mccags does want fitz back.  i have written this before on this board and it bears repeating - mccags was in houston's front office for years, and they just couldn't get over the hump with schaub or hoyer or whatever crap they had, and you better believe that he doesn't want to replicate this model here.  the texans finally paid a boatload of money to a largely unknown entity in osweiler, and i'd be very surprised if a year from now the jet qbs are geno, petty and fitz.  i think they take cook or lynch, so they can groom a few of their own draftees and have several eggs and hope one pans out.

Archived