NFL network talking Geno Smith and Jets options at QB

AFJF

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Lynch at 20 is just another trial and error and pick id rather a  position player who can make an immediate impact and start for us for years instead of a not so certain QB again,unless of course the Jets feel Lynch could be the longterm answer which I'm not sure they do. 

And to add to that, if we get Lynch at 20 what does that mean for our Oline? Firstly, do we really want to go the rookie QB route again? For once I would atleast like to have a guy sit a year, that isnt a 4th round pick (petty). 

If we trade for a guy like Glennon we would still have our high picks to address the Oline, and you can find starters in the first 2 rounds for sure....sometimes the 3rd as well. I'd rather trade a 3rd for Glennon, trade back our 1st to the top of the 2nd and pick up 2 second round linemen and a Center in the 3rd/4th round that could sit a year. 

If we go QB with that first pick this line is going to be in trouble, because we should have addressed the Oline for atleast the last 2 drafts and we just havent. 

45 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Much appreciated, sir, but the only thing that rescues anyone from somebody who conducts themselves the way he does is ignoring.  May have taken part back when I was a teenager, but not so much nowadays.

You're correct, no links to the discussion, I literally started the thread when the segment started and summarized the comments from LT and McGinist as they were saying them.

Wasn't surprised at all to hear LT say Glennon would be better and McGinist saying the Jets know what he is and should look to upgrade. 

No different than when people start threads to tell us what Francessa, or Benigno, or some other yapping freakshow just said. I get it.

Thank you for trying to make the site's content readable and interesting.

47 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Alot of articles that have associated the Jets with Glennon in their reports have constantly said that "a 4th round pick should more than do the trick for the trade". I just dont believe that. I think the Bucs GM has been spewing a bit of hyperbole, but I think that he honestly respects Glennon's game and know's that he could be a respectable starter in this league. And if that's your thoughts, you dont let him go for a 4th round pick. You're better off taking your chances by keeping him and hoping that you can get a 3rd round comp pick in return. Atleast you have a guy who you respect backing up your new QB for yet another year. 

I was gonna say the same thing. If they can't get more than a fourth rounder, they're much better off going into this season with an experienced, solid, inexpensive backup, and potentially getting a top 100 comp pick in 2018. No way they'd take a fourth. Even a third is questionable, considering where it leaves them at the QB position this year. 

the biggest problem with this Glennon thing and others like it - we're already short 1 draft pick for the bearded bastard who isn't even on the team... F*ck losing another 3rd round pick for another god damn stopgap QB. We KNOW we're drafting a QB (less they're all taken), so what what the hell are we doing blowing MORE picks on trading for guys.

No.

14 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

No different than when people start threads to tell us what Francessa, or Benigno, or some other yapping freakshow just said. I get it.

Thank you for trying to make the site's content readable and interesting.

Yep not every single word spoken on every single media outlet comes with a link. Maybe I'll just start watching TV with my iPhone at the ready to record what's being said and I'll post that.  But only after I edit it to fit my agenda.

28 minutes ago, FTL Jet Fan said:

I would be surprised if Lynch makes it past LA at 15. I don't see him making it to 20. 

Agreed...would love Lynch at 20, but I don't see him getting past LA or any team that may jump ahead of the Jets to grab him.

I'd hate to bring in a new Qb this year and get someone who is again on the learning curve. Although if a player our OC likes Gailey would probably adapt to the guy. If it's the case then I'd like to see Geno get a shot in a true competition. 

2 minutes ago, Paradis said:

the biggest problem with this Glennon thing and others like it - we're already short 1 draft pick for the bearded bastard who isn't even on the team... F*ck losing another 3rd round pick for another god damn stopgap QB. We KNOW we're drafting a QB (less they're all taken), so what what the hell are we doing blowing MORE picks on trading for guys.

No.

Maybe the Jets don't view a 26 y/o QB with tons of upside as a stopgap. A stopgap is generally an older guy at the end of his career to hold things down for a bit, not a guy still playing on his rookie deal who has outplayed the other QB's on your roster by quite a bit.

10 minutes ago, slats said:

I was gonna say the same thing. If they can't get more than a fourth rounder, they're much better off going into this season with an experienced, solid, inexpensive backup, and potentially getting a top 100 comp pick in 2018. No way they'd take a fourth. Even a third is questionable, considering where it leaves them at the QB position this year. 

Precisely. I hear people saying that they wouldnt mind Glennon, but not for more than a 4th. Then obviously you mind having this guy. You're basically saying that the guy is worthless to you. Trading for Glennon will mean that he's most likely our starting QB. If you dont see trading to get your starting QB for more than a 4th rounder then maybe he's not worth it in the first place. 

Might as well go to the negotiating table and say we'll take Glennon off your hands for free lol. 

Drafting Lynch will not stop the Jets from having to find a starting QB for this year.  

I believe that the Jets believe that Petty is the answer for next year and beyond and they are reluctant to go Glennon because if you are doing that you are all in on him to a degree because he will be a fairly good starter.  

The issue is do you want fairly good for sure in Glennon or maybe outstanding in Petty. 

Hmmmm maybe a good problem to have but you won't be able to grow both simultaneously   

IMO this is why the Jets are trying so hard to have Fitz back. In their eyes the modest uptick in QB play that Glennon will provide is not yet worth the risk yet. Glennonwill have to learn a new system adjust to new players and so on. Never an easy transition.   

But if Fitz holds out say to the draft I think that we may end with Glennon because he has greater upside than the Hoyers of the world since they too would be coming into a new situation as well. Yea their more experienced working different systems but that is because they have gone from team to team and it is clear that they have not been great in ANY system.  So I think that you have to go Glennon here.

i also think that if the Jets go Glennon they are will to go as high as 3rd rounder because they will be pivoting and saying we are essantailly all in with this guy. Tough position to take when Woody Johnson has already said he is tired of all these crappy QB play and Fitz was good for them.  Face it GMs get fired for getting these decisions wrong  and Petty buys this FO more time and more wiggle room.

Anyway it is no question that it is interesting  times in Jet land and I think that most can appreciate that we have a thinking and strategizing FO in charge and that is a good feeling.   

6 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Maybe the Jets don't view a 26 y/o QB with tons of upside as a stopgap. A stopgap is generally an older guy at the end of his career to hold things down for a bit, not a guy still playing on his rookie deal who has outplayed the other QB's on your roster by quite a bit.

it's a nice fairy tale, but it doesn't actually happen in the NFL - that is the story of a kid who just didn't get a chance. He's more than likely the next Josh McCown. 

In the past 15 years, there's been 2 QBs (Delhomme & Schaub) who were legitimately stuck in back up roles and had starting potential. Thing is, everyone knew it - even without seeing them take live snaps. We've all seen Glennon. GMs have all seen him... and he's still on TB's roster. it's not by chance. 

1 hour ago, AFJF said:

Much appreciated, sir, but the only thing that rescues anyone from somebody who conducts themselves the way he does is ignoring.  May have taken part back when I was a teenager, but not so much nowadays.

You're correct, no links to the discussion, I literally started the thread when the segment started and summarized the comments from LT and McGinist as they were saying them.

Wasn't surprised at all to hear LT say Glennon would be better and McGinist saying the Jets know what he is and should look to upgrade. 

The most interesting thing is LT speculating that the Jets believe in Geno. I find that hard to believe. It's very possible, though, that they're less frightened about Geno starting this year than a lot of fans are. Especially if they see Petty coming along quickly, or have plans to use a high pick on a QB in the draft. 

56 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Lynch at 20 is just another trial and error and pick id rather a  position player who can make an immediate impact and start for us for years instead of a not so certain QB again,unless of course the Jets feel Lynch could be the longterm answer which I'm not sure they do. 

Of course picking Lynch would be based on us actually really picking him.

Glennon is far from a sure thing.

13 minutes ago, Paradis said:

it's a nice fairy tale, but it doesn't actually happen in the NFL - that is the story of a kid who just didn't get a chance. He's more than likely the next Josh McCown. 

In the past 15 years, there's been 2 QBs (Delhomme & Schaub) who were legitimately stuck in back up roles and had starting potential. Thing is, everyone knew it - even without seeing them take live snaps. We've all seen Glennon. GMs have all seen him... and he's still on TB's roster. it's not by chance. 

I guess we'll find out before the season starts.  If somebody trades for him, that means they liked him.

If you're right, there's no reason for any team to give up anything for 26 y/o "stopgap" QB so he'll stay with Tampa and probably be out of the league when his contract expires.

First time I'm considering Glennon.  Don't know much about him, but he's a "Mike", so he's got that going for him.

1.8mil for what I consider to be someone at Geno's level... not bad I guess.  If we can get him for a 4th, let Mike and Geno battle it out.  Two young guys who could potentially excel in this offense. 

Could be worse, i.e. 7mil+ for Fitz.

14 hours ago, AFJF said:

Ladanian Tomlinson speculating Jets believe in Geno but also says everything else "should be shut down" if the Jets can get Glennon because he offers them the best chance.

Willie McGinist after watching Geno's film, "we know what he is" and Jets should look at acquiring somebody with more upside like Sam Bradford or Kaepernick.  Wouldn't rush to make Geno the starter after seeing a sizable amount of play from him and know what you have already.

Ge-no is a sure no for us. I am not saying Ge-no is never going to be any good for the NFL but I can say I have not seen any real improvement. He is just not smart enough to deal with the speed of the game and think fast enough to consistently make good decisions. 

image.jpeg

Just now, Goinggreen said:

Ge-no is a sure no for us. I am not saying Ge-no is never going to be any good for the NFL but I can say I have not seen any real improvement. He is just not smart enough to deal with the speed of the game and think fast enough to consistently make good decisions. 

image.jpeg

I'd love to be wrong but I feel the same way.  Looked like the exact same guy against the Raiders and still didn't get the very basic concept of getting rid of the ball instead of taking a sack.  They teach QB's to do that in HS, and he hasn't figured it out after three seasons in the NFL.

In many ways I understand the reluctance many people feel about starting Geno.

To be honest if we got Glennon I'd be OK with that. What I fail to understand, is people not seeing how difficult it was for Geno at the beginning of his career.

Let's face it, he was thrown to the wolves not given a chance to learn, with pretty bad support surrounding him. He didn't have an offense of Cordinator like Chan who knew really how to work with quarterbacks. It in the factor of Rex Ryan, who was so focused on the defense and the kid never really had a chance.

I really think that Chan could develop Geno into a stable starter. Of course there's the whole maturity thing but you could get many examples of young cornerbacks who are just not ready to step up. I'm not saying that Geno is one of the elite, but there are many examples of top-flight quarterbacks who took some time to develop.

I just hope when Geno moves on to another team, we don't look back with regret at what might've been

18 hours ago, AFJF said:

Ladanian Tomlinson speculating Jets believe in Geno but also says everything else "should be shut down" if the Jets can get Glennon because he offers them the best chance.

Willie McGinist after watching Geno's film, "we know what he is" and Jets should look at acquiring somebody with more upside like Sam Bradford or Kaepernick.  Wouldn't rush to make Geno the starter after seeing a sizable amount of play from him and know what you have already.

I like Geno better than Bradford, who is never healthy, and Kap isn't worth anything right now, he played horrible

football, he is a freak of a person, all signs point to Elway trading for Glennon, and the Jets drafting a qb.  The Jets

used thier 4th and 6th on qb's last draft, and they will probably take one in rd. 1 or 2 this year, then decide they

want someone else, repeat next year.

15 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

Precisely. I hear people saying that they wouldnt mind Glennon, but not for more than a 4th. Then obviously you mind having this guy. You're basically saying that the guy is worthless to you. Trading for Glennon will mean that he's most likely our starting QB. If you dont see trading to get your starting QB for more than a 4th rounder then maybe he's not worth it in the first place. 

Might as well go to the negotiating table and say we'll take Glennon off your hands for free lol. 

villian, last year when you brought up the trade for glennon thing, you had his value at a 3rd 0r 4th rounder. we didnt talk long about the subject, but i remember telling you that the bucs would be stupid to do it. i said they would only trade him for a 2nd or better. last year was the year to make the trade. this year it becomes much more risky. 1st, trading for glennon as your starter is a huge risk in itself. while some see "potential" in glennon, as i do, there is still a big risk that he doesnt perform. he hasnt done a whole hellava lot in this league. he has looked decent at best. 2nd, he is in his contract year. the way money went to some, maybe underserving might be the wrong word here, qb's, glennon knows that if he starts and has a decent year, he is going to get paid. you had mentioned giving him a 7m or so a year contract extention. well thats alot of money to give to a guy who has done little in the league and nothing for your team to date. but that doesnt matter, because he would be financially dumb to do so. the grass is much greener next year

so the jets give up a 2nd(thats what its going to take,imo) for potential with risk. he is probably gonna have a decent or better season with this offense. fitz just put up career numbers throwing to decker and marshal. now its contract time. he want a "20" with alot of zeros after it. i understand there is potential with mike glennon. but there is risk with mike glennon. the risk just might be too much for mac

i will finish this by saying if the jets aquire glennon for a 3rd and get him to sign a 4 year-30m extention, i will be doing cartwheels right along side of you. i just dont think its gonna happen

12 hours ago, Goinggreen said:

image.jpeg

It's called common sense of which he displays very little on the football field or in airports, relationships, with fans and with life itself.

18 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

I dunno, I'd rather keep our 4th rounder and use it.

I think the Jets with Glennon and one fewer draft pick this year boxes us in to Glennon as QB for the next 2 years. Whereas, Fitz on the right contract, allows you to start him until one of the developmental guys takes the job. So, keeping our 4th this year allows us to take a QB in one of the first 4 rounds who has more upside, potentially, than Glennon.

I guess what I'm saying is:

Fitz + 2nd round QB + 4th round ILB >>>>> Glennon + 2nd round ??? 

It's a legitimate concern. The higher the investment in a QB the longer the team lets the experiment go on before giving up. But I think if it was only a 4th rounder, with his cheap rookie deal expiring after just this season, it's a 1 and done if he doesn't wow anybody. They may just view it as paying a 4th round pick for $___ million (the amount it would cost to try him out a year later, when he hits free agency).

If they wanted an equivalent 4th rounder back they could just move back about a handful of slots in round 2, either this year or next year. In other words, that 4th rounder wouldn't be worth wasting a 2nd season tryout over. Plus I would hope they take another QB early on - like a Lynch who isn't ready for 2016 anyway - regardless, just so they don't put all their eggs in 1 basket.  Then they've got a few QBs to roll the dice with over the next 1-3 years (Glennon, Petty, Lynch/other), not counting anyone else they may draft next season, and don't have to waste a season or some $10M on a dead-end street like Fitzpatrick. I think drafting anyone in round 1 this year is far more likely than a 4th for Glennon, to cause them to keep away from drafting another QB in the top 1-3 rounds in 2017.

19 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

No way in hell do I want to lock down a 33 year old journeyman QB for years we have too many other glaring needs id rather roll the dice with Geno or Petty or the rookie phenom we draft after a draft day trade. 

Fitzpatrick gave us a great season he's a quality guy class act but he wants too much damn money and brings nothing to the table but a decent season with an easy schedule. 

No one has hinted Fitz would be 'locked down' other than you to validate your dislike of him.  Your persistence to discredit Fitz's accurate role is laughable. He was signed as  a back up and turned starter due to Geno's fall from grace. If signed, Fitz is at best a starter for a year and returns to being the back up as was designed. He's a stop gap.  Mac isn't that dumb to throw all his eggs in Fitz's basket. So relax already. 

3 hours ago, ylekram said:

villian, last year when you brought up the trade for glennon thing, you had his value at a 3rd 0r 4th rounder. we didnt talk long about the subject, but i remember telling you that the bucs would be stupid to do it. i said they would only trade him for a 2nd or better. last year was the year to make the trade. this year it becomes much more risky. 1st, trading for glennon as your starter is a huge risk in itself. while some see "potential" in glennon, as i do, there is still a big risk that he doesnt perform. he hasnt done a whole hellava lot in this league. he has looked decent at best. 2nd, he is in his contract year. the way money went to some, maybe underserving might be the wrong word here, qb's, glennon knows that if he starts and has a decent year, he is going to get paid. you had mentioned giving him a 7m or so a year contract extention. well thats alot of money to give to a guy who has done little in the league and nothing for your team to date. but that doesnt matter, because he would be financially dumb to do so. the grass is much greener next year

so the jets give up a 2nd(thats what its going to take,imo) for potential with risk. he is probably gonna have a decent or better season with this offense. fitz just put up career numbers throwing to decker and marshal. now its contract time. he want a "20" with alot of zeros after it. i understand there is potential with mike glennon. but there is risk with mike glennon. the risk just might be too much for mac

i will finish this by saying if the jets aquire glennon for a 3rd and get him to sign a 4 year-30m extention, i will be doing cartwheels right along side of you. i just dont think its gonna happen

I thought about writing a pretty thorough response, but it wouldnt make sense since I cant prove anything. Glennon is worth the risk to me. I'd rather that than paying a Fitz 7-10 million or drafting a rookie and throwing him out there. 

If we trade for him then we'll find out for sure if it was worth it or not. Everything about "huge risk" and "20 with alot of zeros" dont bother me. If he's good then pay the man if he was willing to forego 7million in order to show and prove. Atleast we know he proved himself, and I'll pay 20 million in order to know that I have a QB. 

5 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

I thought about writing a pretty thorough response, but it wouldnt make sense since I cant prove anything. Glennon is worth the risk to me. I'd rather that than paying a Fitz 7-10 million or drafting a rookie and throwing him out there. 

If we trade for him then we'll find out for sure if it was worth it or not. 

If the Jets continue to build a team around the QB position, it might behoove the Jets to hold onto their picks, draft wisely and sign Glennon as a FA next yr.

Mac doesn't appear to be a GM who likes to waste high draft picks.

Sign Fitz to a 2 yr. deal or Hoyer to a 1 yr. deal, and see how Petty is developing

If Petty's a JAG, sign Glennon next yr. when we have some money and there won't be a lot of starting jobs out there for Glennon to choose from.

Your love affair may not be consumated until this time next year.:wub:

4 hours ago, Powpow said:

It's called common sense of which he displays very little on the football field or in airports, relationships, with fans and with life itself.

I partially agree with this. The fans part I really dont. Maybe fans should stop acting like asshats and they wont get flipped off. Question, If I punch a man and in retaliation he punches me back, should I then go to the police and file charges of assault on this guy? 

Fans have every excuse in the world "I can act like a total douche asshat moron if I want because I paid to watch the game", "I can act like a complete clown because I dont represent the franchise like he does...he gets paid millionz of dolllazzzz and I pay part of that salary". Yeah, you paid to watch the game and you're not a player, however you didnt pay to berate and disrespect a player to his face. These type of fans need no support at all and they need to learn how to control themselves. 

Also, as a fan who can have an opinion on players without feeling the need to berate them, I dont really care what happened at the airport or his personal relationships or his personal life. I only care about 60 minutes of football, and its the 60 minutes of football aspect of your statement that I agree with.  

Everything else is just a pile of garbage. Fans need to either grow up, or grow a set. If you dish out the disrespect dont bitch or get all in your feelings when a dude flips you off. Stop acting like a bunch of assclowns because you paid for tickets. 

10 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

If the Jets continue to build a team around the QB position, it might behoove the Jets to hold onto their picks, draft wisely and sign Glennon as a FA next yr.

Mac doesn't appear to be a GM who likes to waste high draft picks.

Sign Fitz to a 2 yr. deal or Hoyer to a 1 yr. deal, and see how Petty is developing

If Petty's a JAG, sign Glennon next yr. when we have some money and there won't be a lot of starting jobs out there for Glennon to choose from.

Your love affair may not be consumated until this time next year.:wub:

I feel strongly enough that I would prefer investing a draft pick into a guy rather than risking having to compete with other teams for his services and having that asking price unnecessarily inflated. 

Also, I dont consider Macc trading a draft pick for a quality player with upside a "waste of draft picks". Matter of fact, trading for Glennon could very well make last years 2nd rounder relevant in the offense. Resigning Fitz to a 2 year deal would basically make last year's high draft pick an utter waste (Devin Smith), which no one seems to ever say word about that when it comes to potentially wasting a high draft pick.

2 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

I feel strongly enough that I would prefer investing a draft pick into a guy rather than risking having to compete with other teams for his services and having that asking price unnecessarily inflated. 

Also, I dont consider Macc trading a draft pick for a quality player with upside a "waste of draft picks". Matter of fact, trading for Glennon could very well make last years 2nd rounder relevant in the offense. Resigning Fitz to a 2 year deal would basically make last year's high draft pick an utter waste (Devin Smith), which no one seems to ever say word about that when it comes to potentially wasting a high draft pick.

Valid point re Devin Smith. Glennon can get him the ball deep, which is Smith's supposed strength.

I think my use of the word "wasted" was a mistake. I should have said Mac "Loves" his high picks.

He would really have to see something in Glennon's tape to use a 2nd on him.

If TB would take a conditional 3rd for 2017, that could rise to a 2nd if performance levels are attained, then you do it.

We might get a Comp pick next year(3rd or 4th) so it wouldn't hurt as much.

Of course this talk of bringing Glennon in is all contingent on how the Fitz scenario plays out leading up to the draft.

22 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Valid point re Devin Smith. Glennon can get him the ball deep, which is Smith's supposed strength.

I think my use of the word "wasted" was a mistake. I should have said Mac "Loves" his high picks.

He would really have to see something in Glennon's tape to use a 2nd on him.

If TB would take a conditional 3rd for 2017, that could rise to a 2nd if performance levels are attained, then you do it.

We might get a Comp pick next year(3rd or 4th) so it wouldn't hurt as much.

Of course this talk of bringing Glennon in is all contingent on how the Fitz scenario plays out leading up to the draft.

I hope it has nothing to do with the Fitz scenario. Fitz isnt nor has ever been good enough to basically keep a franchise "in the balance". He's a glorified back up who had a solid year with the greatest group of talent this team has had since I've been a fan along with the easiest schedule this team has probably had....and we couldnt even get a playoff birth because the moment we needed to depend on Fitzpatrick he threw 3 INT's in a friggin row. Also, every game except 1 (Jacksonville) where a team scored a minimum of 21 points we lost. Every game we won this season (except Jacksonville) the opponent scored 20 or less points. Whats worse is that 2 of the teams that scored 20 points we had to go to overtime to beat. This talented offense headed by Fitz with the easiest schedule ever basically couldnt win a football game if the oppontent scored 3 TD's. We literally only beat 1 team that scored 21 or more points, and of the 4 teams that scored 20 points, we needed OT during 2 of those games in order to win. 

My personal opinion, Fitz is not even an option just based on the fact that our schedule will most likely not be as easy as it was last year and Fitz is basically useless when it comes to a pass traveling farther than 15-20 yards. 

34 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

My personal opinion, Fitz is not even an option just based on the fact that our schedule will most likely not be as easy as it was last year and Fitz is basically useless when it comes to a pass traveling farther than 15-20 yards. 

I understand everything you're saying..... my only question is this....

If you're in Chan Gailey's shoes...... who do you want?

The guy who "gets" your offense, or bring in a guy you "hope" gets your offense?

You'll have to really seperate yourself from your personal feelings here and really think "what would Chan want"?

I'm sure Mac and Bowles want what Chan wants short term while they work on what's best for the Jets in the long term.

Maybe Glennon can be the answer to both.... 

Archived