Harry Potter Mafia - Game Thread

Leelou

7 minutes ago, D P R said:

I already asked, and Leelou will confirm, but it does not work 1:1 - the roles are blanket roles (my question to her was about the "doc" role) and the person is protected for the night, regardless of number of actions against them.

If true, then I don't know how this game possibly gets anywhere... scum has to be in the QTs, so they should be able to counter everything they know about. It may face this game to be purely about scum hunting... and will ironically have a record number of actions with no results. LOL

2 minutes ago, Dan. said:

Hmm that's interesting if it works that way. We were thinking of using mirrors but this could be less expensive. i guess it depends how many teammates are submitting actions? The spells post made it sound like the RB blocks one person's spells plural.

Eh, let's wait until we hear back from Leelou. 

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, D P R said:

I already asked, and Leelou will confirm, but it does not work 1:1 - the roles are blanket roles (my question to her was about the "doc" role) and the person is protected for the night, regardless of number of actions against them.

This

36 minutes ago, CTM said:

my house has an innocent result on pac, but as others have said plenty of ways that can be mucked with.

Everyone should have that information though given he's a lynch candidate

The tampering makes it hard. However, DPR is just not thinking deep enough there is a way given town powers to make it so you get somewhat reliable results. I asked leelou and got confirmed that the mirror cannot be role blocked; the sender will be roleblocked instead. So if you mirror yourself, you theoretically shouldn't be able to be tampered with since tampering will also be reflected back. Haven't confirmed the tampering part for sure, but im theory If you mirror yourself and get innocent results, that should also us to narrow down the pool of scum. Since that innocent result view shouldn't have been tampered or roleblocked with. An innocent can only be town or if it's in this game a godfather somehow. 

Also, since when is lie detection , which is 80 points able to be manipulated by the 20 point frame? That is a massive imbalance issue. 

At this point i'm ok with voting jetscode given the result from CTM and ape. However, unless CTM indicates he did what i just laid out above, he is not confirmed. 

Also, what is with people being so dense, i'm not suggesting people use lie detection tonight, i'm just suggesting we leave it open as an option for people to choose from. I think the resistance to even doing that at a base level is even more suspicious than anything

2 minutes ago, Jets Voice of Reason said:

At this point i'm ok with voting jetscode given the result from CTM and ape. However, unless CTM indicates he did what i just laid out above, he is not confirmed. 

Also, what is with people being so dense, i'm not suggesting people use lie detection tonight, i'm just suggesting we leave it open as an option for people to choose from. I think the resistance to even doing that at a base level is even more suspicious than anything

I think Pac is scum too, but I'm just much, much more sure of Jetscode... it's like he walked up to me and told me.

26 minutes ago, Leelou said:

This

So, the only mechanics I can think of that would prevent scum from using their potions to create a stalemate is good old fashioned scum hunting and not having scum in every one of the Houses, but maybe only some of them. This way they cannot preemptively coordinate to block every action from each of the 4 houses, because they don't have visibility into all 4.

Either way, the "stacking" concept I was exploring won't provide any benefit. So... back to the drawing board.

14 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

So, the only mechanics I can think of that would prevent scum from using their potions to create a stalemate is good old fashioned scum hunting and not having scum in every one of the Houses, but maybe only some of them. This way they cannot preemptively coordinate to block every action from each of the 4 houses, because they don't have visibility into all 4.

Either way, the "stacking" concept I was exploring won't provide any benefit. So... back to the drawing board.

I do agree that good old-fashioned scum hunting is a good idea at this point, and there are some folks that we need to hear a lot more from to do that.

I'm good with a deckerfan vote as well because he's done nothing but lurk so far, but I'll go with Spoot first for dangling participation and excuses in front of everybody and then disappearing. There was no need to say anything, so the over-explanation feels forced.

Unvote Vote Spoot

15 minutes ago, D P R said:

I do agree that good old-fashioned scum hunting is a good idea at this point, and there are some folks that we need to hear a lot more from to do that.

I'm good with a deckerfan vote as well because he's done nothing but lurk so far, but I'll go with Spoot first for dangling participation and excuses in front of everybody and then disappearing. There was no need to say anything, so the over-explanation feels forced.

Unvote Vote Spoot

Teehee.

1 hour ago, Jets Voice of Reason said:

The tampering makes it hard. However, DPR is just not thinking deep enough there is a way given town powers to make it so you get somewhat reliable results. I asked leelou and got confirmed that the mirror cannot be role blocked; the sender will be roleblocked instead. So if you mirror yourself, you theoretically shouldn't be able to be tampered with since tampering will also be reflected back. Haven't confirmed the tampering part for sure, but im theory If you mirror yourself and get innocent results, that should also us to narrow down the pool of scum. Since that innocent result view shouldn't have been tampered or roleblocked with. An innocent can only be town or if it's in this game a godfather somehow. 

Also, since when is lie detection , which is 80 points able to be manipulated by the 20 point frame? That is a massive imbalance issue. 

mirror wouldn't stop a frame

regardless, the way we did it was at the deadline we switched who was submitting and who the targets were.. making it impossible for scum to counter.

the only way pac is scum is if someone used a role tampering spell on me, despite it never being talked about as me being the one submitting the action. Not a great chance. (or i guess if leeloue let an action in after deadline, which i doubt)

37 minutes ago, CTM said:

mirror wouldn't stop a frame

regardless, the way we did it was at the deadline we switched who was submitting and who the targets were.. making it impossible for scum to counter.

the only way pac is scum is if someone used a role tampering spell on me, despite it never being talked about as me being the one submitting the action. Not a great chance. (or i guess if leeloue let an action in after deadline, which i doubt)

Mirror doesn't stop frames, which is why an innocent result is more valuable. Hence if u investigate someone and get an innocent result you know you at least didn't get tampered. 

Frames say you can get a scum result from a townie not the other way around, right?

1 hour ago, Jets Voice of Reason said:

He's saying the the view spells needed could be tampered with - mirrors don't give results in and of themselves. 

1 minute ago, Jets Voice of Reason said:

Mirror yourself -> view a person -> get a townie result.

This means that you weren't tampered with, the person you viewed wasn't framed, and you getting roleblocked is worthless to scum. In other words your result is probably a townie. 

I also belive You can also do multiple views at a time... Not just one per night. 

So buy one mirror, view multiple people, and try to clear townies that way?

On April 11, 2016 at 5:02 PM, Leelou said:

SPELLS

Below are the spells that are available for purchase each night. Your house will earn points during the day phase and you collectively decide how to spend or save your points in your QTs. 

Town

20 pts

(protect) Colloportus Spell Magically locks door - protects 2 housemates one night from NK

(view) Aparecium Spell Reveals invisible ink - reveals alignment

40 pts

(mirror) Protego Charm Cause spells to reflect back to the sender. - any spell cast on you is reflected back to the sender and cast on them.

50 pts

(vig) Confringo Curse Explode Flames on target - kills target by flame

80 pts

(lie detector) Veritaserum Potion forces the drinker to answer any questions put to them truthfully, though there are certain methods of resistance. - you may check a post from the day of purchase to see if it is truthful

SCUM

20 pts

(frame) Fidelius Charm Hides a secret within someone - has a townie of choice viewed as scum

(role block) Finite Incantatum Spell Stops any current spells - blocks role from one person

40 pts

(role tampering) Confundus Charm Used to confuse opponent - person will get wrong result if used

50 pts

(protection) Protego Totalum Spell Area Protection Spell - protects one person

80 pts
(strongman kill) Avada Kedavra Curse Murders opponent - can kill through any protection

As far as my understanding goes, the tampering wouldn't affect a person getting mirrored. The tampering would get bounced back to the sender? 

Either way, the person submitting the night action can be varied... Scum has to guess who to tamper with. 

19 minutes ago, Jets Voice of Reason said:

Mirror yourself -> view a person -> get a townie result.

This means that you weren't tampered with, the person you viewed wasn't framed, and you getting roleblocked is worthless to scum. In other words your result is probably a townie. 

I also belive You can also do multiple views at a time... Not just one per night. 

The person you view can be tampered with. You're a mirror, but they can be framed. And then there's the whole question of how many people trust you.

CTM's point about timing is the only way i see of overcoming the presence of spies, in which case you can save your money on elaborate mirror/view schemes and just turn in your actions with 2 seconds on the clock.

That's if Leelou is working it that way. She'll need to confirm or deny that.

2 minutes ago, HessStation said:

As opposed to DPR playing as the real one, I'm probably gonna go with the metaphoric drunk role this game. My brain hurts just thinking about it. Feel free to Lynch me if need be, otherwise gfyz.

If you want to take over for this game, it's all you. I quit drinking over a decade ago and honestly, I feel like my act is kind of been-there-seen-that at this point. Another person taking over could bring some much needed vitality to the whole thing. 

5 minutes ago, D P R said:

If you want to take over for this game, it's all you. I quit drinking over a decade ago and honestly, I feel like my act is kind of been-there-seen-that at this point. Another person taking over could bring some much needed vitality to the whole thing. 

i quit drinking a little over 2 weeks ago. This past friday night i quit quiting though

Just now, CTM said:

i quit drinking a little over 2 weeks ago. This past friday night i quit quiting though

Oh, I do that all the time. That's why I need more time to devote to my art and fewer public appearances.

6 minutes ago, D P R said:

I commend you for your sobriety, I was only joking. Sorry if I hit any nerve, my bad if so. But not about the second game related part.  My doucheyness was somewhat sincere during that part.

1 minute ago, HessStation said:

I commend you for your sobriety, I was only joking. Sorry if I hit any nerve, my bad if so. But not about the second game related part.  My doucheyness was somewhat sincere during that part.

Dude, I was so totally kidding - it's just jokes. No need to get serious about stuff that everybody kids around about. 

3 hours ago, CTM said:

my house has an innocent result on pac, but as others have said plenty of ways that can be mucked with.

Everyone should have that information though given he's a lynch candidate

what a waste of an investigation.

our house did the protection..  which may be why no one died last night.

I'm flattered if I was investigated and shot at.  *bats eyes*

1 minute ago, Pac said:

what a waste of an investigation.

our house did the protection..  which may be why no one died last night.

I'm flattered if I was investigated and shot at.  *bats eyes*

you shut your brown mouth

2 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

I think Pac is scum too, but I'm just much, much more sure of Jetscode... it's like he walked up to me and told me.

meanwhile your whole captain townie post was likely a sham.  you knew the answer you'd get but wanted to ask the question so the gallery could see you ask.

transparent and amateurish.

Archived