Harry Potter Mafia - Game Thread

Leelou

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Jetscode1 said:

Looks like JN has reverted back to follow the Ape...even CTM...to help the town...@ Mod, please replace me...my inactivity obviously concerns some players.

That's odd. I never get this impression at all. :/

21 hours ago, Jets Voice of Reason said:

The tampering makes it hard. However, DPR is just not thinking deep enough there is a way given town powers to make it so you get somewhat reliable results. I asked leelou and got confirmed that the mirror cannot be role blocked; the sender will be roleblocked instead. So if you mirror yourself, you theoretically shouldn't be able to be tampered with since tampering will also be reflected back. Haven't confirmed the tampering part for sure, but I'm theory *If you mirror yourself and get innocent results, that should also us to narrow down the pool of scum. Since that innocent result view shouldn't have been tampered or roleblocked with. *An innocent can only be town or if it's in this game a godfather somehow. 

*Also, since when is lie detection , which is 80 points able to be manipulated by the 20 point frame? That is a massive imbalance issue. 

I'm looking at the current vote count (JC is at 7) and re-reading, and the bold points above are still bugging me.

The first talks about mirroring giving "results", but as has been pointed out, a player would need to buy a mirror and view spell - for a grand total of 100 points (equal to two kill spells that won't be used that night). To me, this explanation is not only junk, but it's deceptive in that it never lists the costs.

It also never promoted anymore conversation or comment from the sender or supporters. I'm guessing more than a few people had questions for the mod? I'm also guessing that some interesting answers were given? But no follow up.

The second bold section raises the specter of a Godfather, which is just blatant fear mongering and a CYA move.

The third bold section is the inevitable complaint about game-balance. But, whereas most players like to make this point after they have lost the game, here it is on day 2 before anyone has any real info yet.

Bringing it back to the current vote count, we have Ape and JVoR as the first and 2nd vote on JC. Ape has laid out his case on JC that is pretty much "other players can't really see it, but trust me, I know when this guy is scum." And then JVoR follows up with the second vote - while Ape supports JVoR's plan listed above against my comments.

Right now I see a low-participation game with a fast lynch, led by Ape and JVoR, who are also pushing a plan for the Houses to spend points, in a rush to get to night when the points are awarded. Seems legit.

Unvote Vote Ape 

Is Jc really quitting? Anyways, at this point I think DPR is as obvious scum as anybody so I'm fine lynching him as well. At this point, I think it is more telling that a few people had such a viscerally negative reaction to trying to immediately discredit my idea vs. actually wondering if it would work. Even if I end up being incorrect, the strong need to try to discredit the idea vs coming up with solutions to using our night powers effectively is pretty damning. 

What solution has Hess, wombat and DPR brought to using our night actions? Let's just not use them because they can be potentially unreliable? That hardly seems productive either. I'm not saying they are all scum, just think I'm fine lynching from the pool of those candidates for now based on their reactions to things. My house is going to do what we want at night, me or my housemates will share the results and you guys debate the validity of it. Them saying I'm telling you to do the same thing is just inaccurate. Townies can do what they want. I'm just providing rationale. 

Same thing with lie detection. Their solution is never use it and it is a waste of points. So what, don't even give the town an option to even consider using it? It's just ridiculous. I'm not saying you have to use it, I'm just providing the town with the option in the event they want to. Their solution is to not even put it on the table to varying degrees. 

2 minutes ago, Jets Voice of Reason said:

Is Jc really quitting? Anyways, at this point I think DPR is as obvious scum as anybody so I'm fine lynching him as well. At this point, I think it is more telling that a few people had such a viscerally negative reaction to trying to immediately discredit my idea vs. actually wondering if it would work. Even if I end up being incorrect, the strong need to try to discredit the idea vs coming up with solutions to using our night powers effectively is pretty damning. 

What solution has Hess, wombat and DPR brought to using our night actions? Let's just not use them because they can be potentially unreliable? That hardly seems productive either. I'm not saying they are all scum, just think I'm fine lynching from the pool of those candidates for now based on their reactions to things. My house is going to do what we want at night, me or my housemates will share the results and you guys debate the validity of it. Them saying I'm telling you to do the same thing is just inaccurate. Townies can do what they want. I'm just providing rationale. 

Same thing with lie detection. Their solution is never use it and it is a waste of points. So what, don't even give the town an option to even consider using it? It's just ridiculous. I'm not saying you have to use it, I'm just providing the town with the option in the event they want to. Their solution is to not even put it on the table to varying degrees. 

I'll play till Ape get me lunched...typical MO around here...still cannot post during work day...but obviously my presence unsettles the Ape and his cohorts.

1 hour ago, Jets Voice of Reason said:

One solution I brought was to confirm that roles do not work on a 1:1 ratio. That was a question brought up in the game thread by Ape, but he didn't offer the solution, making it pointless conjecture, i.e. a distraction.

There are other questions regarding your plan that are easily asked and answered, but you still don't offer the answers - even though I keep offering you the chance to do so. Throwing questions out with no answers is scummish. You even implied that you would ask the mod about a point and never got back to us on it. I could even understand this if we weren't facing the threat of spies in the houses, but with that possibility, there is very little point to keeping most answers off of the game thread.

So, I still think you and Ape are pied-pipering the game along here to get a quick lynch and go to night where the points are awarded. You are both presenting questions, but not following up with answers.

And to that point, here are a few more points/solutions from me that might help the town: 

I asked the mod what happens if a scum player is in a house and tries to buy a town spell. I got PAFO.

I asked the mod about the mirror spell / view spell results and she confirmed that all results will be announced on the House thread (as opposed to individuals).

And the most obvious - with 19 players, the number of folks in each house will tell us right away if we have scum spies. if the spread is 4 members to each house, there's a good chance that we have a separate 3 member scum team and the spy threat is just that. If we have three houses with 5 members and one with 4, we're looking at a high possibility that the scum have been placed in the houses. Now, speculating on setup is just that - there could be a house with 10 members, one with 2 and another with 4 with a 3 man scum team - or any variation on that. But one thing we know for sure: the scum already know who they are and who we are, so we're not really hiding anything by not talking about it. We can't reveal house info on thread (the mod can confirm if we're allowed to claim how many numbers we have, but I'm guessing not) but there should be no harm is talking about the possibilities as we consider what means of testing might prove out.

Last, although it is always a good idea to scum-hunt, the more points the scum acquire, the closer to end-game we get each night as they bank points. That's a big reason I'm thinking that at least one scummer will be laying-low. It's a solid strategy with this setup - all they have to have is one player left to launch kill shots at the end ftw. 

LEELOU - 1. Are we allowed to claim the number of players in each of our houses?

2. And, if we submit actions at the last second to prevent potential spies from countering them, does that make any difference or are you just playing by classic NA rules? 

Also, fwiw, JC is acting like a freak with his overreaction. I don't know if it's a panic dance because he's not on as much during the day, or if it's a setup because it looks like the mafia doesn't need number of players in this game as much as they need points to buy spells, and an early gambit could pay off.

Regardless, I'd rather see a lot more questions and answers before we launch into night. 

1 hour ago, D P R said:

I'm looking at the current vote count (JC is at 7) and re-reading, and the bold points above are still bugging me.

The first talks about mirroring giving "results", but as has been pointed out, a player would need to buy a mirror and view spell - for a grand total of 100 points (equal to two kill spells that won't be used that night). To me, this explanation is not only junk, but it's deceptive in that it never lists the costs.

It also never promoted anymore conversation or comment from the sender or supporters. I'm guessing more than a few people had questions for the mod? I'm also guessing that some interesting answers were given? But no follow up.

The second bold section raises the specter of a Godfather, which is just blatant fear mongering and a CYA move.

The third bold section is the inevitable complaint about game-balance. But, whereas most players like to make this point after they have lost the game, here it is on day 2 before anyone has any real info yet.

Bringing it back to the current vote count, we have Ape and JVoR as the first and 2nd vote on JC. Ape has laid out his case on JC that is pretty much "other players can't really see it, but trust me, I know when this guy is scum." And then JVoR follows up with the second vote - while Ape supports JVoR's plan listed above against my comments.

Right now I see a low-participation game with a fast lynch, led by Ape and JVoR, who are also pushing a plan for the Houses to spend points, in a rush to get to night when the points are awarded. Seems legit.

Unvote Vote Ape 

If you're going to post disgusting sh*t, at least do it in bullet-points you fillthy cur. To the red points:

• Some people tried to talk about it, but if my IPA soaked memory serves, Wombat chastised people for talking about it last night and not scum hunting enough, and before that CTM talked about using the last-minute submission approach, but then you tried to leverage he and I agreeing into some form of casing me. So, how are you now lamenting the lack of dialog, while when at the center of the topic, you seemed to be trying to keep conversation from happening? Also, if you genuinely are concerned with the lack of how that topic was explored, then why weren't you all over Wombat last night when he basically said move on from it? You actions around discussing it do not align with the sentiment that you are expressing.
  • My case on JC is not just "trust me". You are minimizing the points I made on him on D1, and then early on D2. This commentary comes across as an extension of sulking scum QT "Ape blind squirreled JC" chatter.
  • I didn't support JVOR's plan. This is yet another example of you stringing together generalized accusations about me, without actually providing examples of it happening. I called you out for others earlier in thread. Pinging like crazy. I supported talking about it, as I said to Wombat last night. I've been trying to find the proverbial "key" to the game's mechanics since D1, that should be clear. I've also been scum hunting, unlike you. So, encouraging discussion of JVOR plan vs. CTM plan is a good way to create polarization and opportunities for people to take a position. Which is what leads to scum hunting.
  • Again, I'm not pushing JVOR's plan. I'm not pushing any plan at present, nor did I earlier. However, I can see how selling it this way benefits your 2-for-1 narrative. In other words: don't lynch JC, instead lynch Ape and JVOR because they are scum mates pushing blah, blah, blah... The trouble is, the center of your narrative that Ape and JVOR are scum, is JVOR's plan, so the logical first vote would be JVOR. Not me. 

1 hour ago, Jetscode1 said:

I'll play till Ape get me lunched...typical MO around here...still cannot post during work day...but obviously my presence unsettles the Ape and his cohorts.

People here have played with me before... they know nothing unsettles me as scum. I'm a cold calculated evil bastard. To imply otherwise is laughable, and you know it, and as far as I'm concerned a clear admission that you are not town.

22 minutes ago, D P R said:

One solution I brought was to confirm that roles do not work on a 1:1 ratio. That was a question brought up in the game thread by Ape, but he didn't offer the solution, making it pointless conjecture, i.e. a distraction.

There are other questions regarding your plan that are easily asked and answered, but you still don't offer the answers - even though I keep offering you the chance to do so. Throwing questions out with no answers is scummish. You even implied that you would ask the mod about a point and never got back to us on it. I could even understand this if we weren't facing the threat of spies in the houses, but with that possibility, there is very little point to keeping most answers off of the game thread.

So, I still think you and Ape are pied-pipering the game along here to get a quick lynch and go to night where the points are awarded. You are both presenting questions, but not following up with answers.

And to that point, here are a few more points/solutions from me that might help the town: 

I asked the mod what happens if a scum player is in a house and tries to buy a town spell. I got PAFO.

I asked the mod about the mirror spell / view spell results and she confirmed that all results will be announced on the House thread (as opposed to individuals).

And the most obvious - with 19 players, the number of folks in each house will tell us right away if we have scum spies. if the spread is 4 members to each house, there's a good chance that we have a separate 3 member scum team and the spy threat is just that. If we have three houses with 5 members and one with 4, we're looking at a high possibility that the scum have been placed in the houses. Now, speculating on setup is just that - there could be a house with 10 members, one with 2 and another with 4 with a 3 man scum team - or any variation on that. But one thing we know for sure: the scum already know who they are and who we are, so we're not really hiding anything by not talking about it. We can't reveal house info on thread (the mod can confirm if we're allowed to claim how many numbers we have, but I'm guessing not) but there should be no harm is talking about the possibilities as we consider what means of testing might prove out.

Last, although it is always a good idea to scum-hunt, the more points the scum acquire, the closer to end-game we get each night as they bank points. That's a big reason I'm thinking that at least one scummer will be laying-low. It's a solid strategy with this setup - all they have to have is one player left to launch kill shots at the end ftw. 

LEELOU - 1. Are we allowed to claim the number of players in each of our houses?

2. And, if we submit actions at the last second to prevent potential spies from countering them, does that make any difference or are you just playing by classic NA rules? 

Posing the question in the thread, without the answer = opportunity to see who runs with it, who challenges it, who vets the logic, who asks the mod... so, to me withholding the answer until the topic has been discussed allows for evaluation of the other players in the game within the context of a specific question/topic.

Again, though, you have a mouthful of sh*t to ramble on about concerning whether what we should talk about and how, but then on the other side of it, you're using what others talk about and how against them. 

I don't believe you're town, but if you are... you're certainly not helping anyone or anything. You're just talking in circles.

23 minutes ago, D P R said:

Also, fwiw, JC is acting like a freak with his overreaction. I don't know if it's a panic dance because he's not on as much during the day, or if it's a setup because it looks like the mafia doesn't need number of players in this game as much as they need points to buy spells, and an early gambit could pay off.

Regardless, I'd rather see a lot more questions and answers before we launch into night. 

Why are you fear-mongering about the speed at which we get to night?

JC hasn't been able to play scum his last several attempts. He wets himself. 

eh, I want Jetscode lynched - I don't like the sentiments that "not enough scum hunting is happening" and "the conversations about XYZ haven't been the right conversations" and "we shouldn't got to night right away fear monger-monger", it all comes across like attempts to drag out the day and give Jetscode breathing room and the potential shiny object to pull town's attention away from him.

I'll be on-off this morning. I look forward to more inane rambling from DPR.

13 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

eh, I want Jetscode lynched - I don't like the sentiments that "not enough scum hunting is happening" and "the conversations about XYZ haven't been the right conversations" and "we shouldn't got to night right away fear monger-monger", it all comes across like attempts to drag out the day and give Jetscode breathing room and the potential shiny object to pull town's attention away from him.

I'll be on-off this morning. I look forward to more inane rambling from DPR.

Posting 6 times after my post and then pulling a "I'll be on-off this morning" does not exactly exude confidence. And talking about Wombat as much as you do is way off for you - I didn't think anyone ever listens to Wombat unless he makes it to day 3 or 4 because he's always "grumble, grumble, scum-hunt, grumble..."  You sir, are stinking.  

Just now, D P R said:

Posting 6 times after my post and then pulling a "I'll be on-off this morning" does not exactly exude confidence. And talking about Wombat as much as you do is way off for you - I didn't think anyone ever listens to Wombat unless he makes it to day 3 or 4 because he's always "grumble, grumble, scum-hunt, grumble..."  You sir, are stinking.  

I always catch up in batches. I always set expectations when I have a day full of meetings. Neither of these things are a "tell".

Neither is talking about Wombat.

Add this to the list of accusatory language you've thrown at me, without any substance behind it.

I'll also note that you chose to respond with this, rather than answering any of the questions I posed to you. This, after you griped about questions and answers. Ironically.

2 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

I always catch up in batches. I always set expectations when I have a day full of meetings. Neither of these things are a "tell".

Neither is talking about Wombat.

Add this to the list of accusatory language you've thrown at me, without any substance behind it.

I'll also note that you chose to respond with this, rather than answering any of the questions I posed to you. This, after you griped about questions and answers. Ironically.

So this must be one of the times you we're "on" then?

Your hairy ass is on full display.

2 minutes ago, D P R said:

So this must be one of the times you we're "on" then?

Your hairy ass is on full display.

Your case on me is that I have a job with meetings.

You are typically very stupid in these games, which makes the way DM fawns over you hysterical, but this is an all-time low.

Still avoiding responding to my posts THO.

On 4/15/2016 at 8:50 PM, Nynaeve said:

Vote Count

Hallia (4) - Hess, Dan, JVoR, SMC

JiF (3) - Decker, Hallia, Lily

80 (3) - CTM, Verbal, DPR

SMC (2) - 80, JiF

Ape (2) - Pac, JC

JC (1) - Crushlove

CTM (1) - Smash

Verbal (1) - wwwwwombat

Pac (1) - Ape

With 19 alive, it takes 10 to lynch. DEADLINE - FRIDAY 10 AM (Eastern) 

Hally, JiF, 80 as candidates.

On 4/15/2016 at 9:51 PM, HessStation said:

unvote vote Dan

Removes vote form leading train to start a new one.

On 4/15/2016 at 10:49 PM, deckerfan said:

unvote

Removes vote from JiF.

On 4/15/2016 at 11:41 PM, WWWWombat said:

Let's move things along.

unvote

Vote: 80

Trying to get some momentum on my favorite of the 3 lynch candidates to see what happens.

On 4/15/2016 at 0:03 AM, Leelou said:

Vote Count

80 (4) - CTM, Verbal, DPR, wwwwwombat
Hallia (3)  Dan, JVoR, SMC
JiF (2) - Hallia, Lily
SMC (2) - 80, JiF
Ape (2) - Pac, JC
JC (1) - Crushlove
CTM (1) - Smash
Pac (1) - Ape
Dan (1) - Hess

New VC.

On 4/15/2016 at 5:15 AM, Jets Voice of Reason said:

Don't think 80 is a good lynch. I'm leaning town on him. If anything, I have more of a suspicion on the people on his train based off their play so far. Pac always thinks I'm scum, every game so that hasn't changed much. null tell. He seems to be vouching for Hallia to some degree though and I'm not dead set on wanting to lynch her. It more just bugs me when people mentally clear people as town with suspect reasoning.

unvote

Vote Verbal

Would also be okay with DPR and back on Hallia for now.

JVoR leaves Hallia and goes to Verb.  This second removal of a vote from the Hally train puts 80 train in a commanding position.

On 4/15/2016 at 5:57 AM, Leelou said:

Vote Count

80 (4) - CTM, Verbal, DPR, wwwwwombat
Hallia (2)  Dan, SMC
JiF (2) - Hallia, Lily
SMC (2) - 80, JiF
Ape (2) - Pac, JC
JC (1) - Crushlove
CTM (1) - Smash
Pac (1) - Ape
Dan (1) - Hess
Verbal (1) - JVoR

On 4/15/2016 at 7:04 AM, CTM said:

I thought I was voting jif?

unvote

vote jif

CTM evens it back up.

On 4/15/2016 at 7:12 AM, Leelou said:

Vote Count

80 (3) - Verbal, DPR, wwwwwombat
JiF (3) - Hallia, Lily, CTM
Hallia (2)  Dan, SMC
SMC (2) - 80, JiF
Ape (2) - Pac, JC
JC (1) - Crushlove
CTM (1) - Smash
Pac (1) - Ape
Dan (1) - Hess
Verbal (1) - JVoR

On 4/15/2016 at 8:57 AM, The Crusher said:

I got 80 middle of the pack leaning town.  Kills me to do it but I think  JIF for today.  Not sure if it's s disconnect because he was away and didn't really signup but he jumped grom train to train And tried to sell the I will lynch anybody today.  Seems off.  

unvote vote JIF

This strikes me as an attempt at a momentum vote.  A vote from Crusher on his Boopsie with this much reasoning could be persuasive.

On 4/15/2016 at 8:58 AM, Leelou said:

Vote Count

JiF (4) - Hallia, Lily, CTM, Crusher
80 (3) - Verbal, DPR, wwwwwombat
Hallia (2)  Dan, SMC
SMC (2) - 80, JiF
Ape (2) - Pac, JC
CTM (1) - Smash
Pac (1) - Ape
Dan (1) - Hess
Verbal (1) - JVoR

On 4/15/2016 at 9:13 AM, D P R said:

He also worded his claim in a weird way, twice. Could be nothing, but the clock is ticking.

Invite Vote JiF

On 4/15/2016 at 9:14 AM, D P R said:

Bah

Unvote Vote JiF

Pretty much seals JiF's fate.  I can see why Ape sees this vote as sketchy, but JiF's claim had been something I'd been rolling around in my head a bit, so I don't see it as an odd thing to mention.

On 4/15/2016 at 9:15 AM, Leelou said:

Vote Count

JiF (5) - Hallia, Lily, CTM, Crusher, DPR
80 (2) - Verbal, wwwwwombat
Hallia (2)  Dan, SMC
SMC (2) - 80, JiF
Ape (2) - Pac, JC
CTM (1) - Smash
Pac (1) - Ape
Dan (1) - Hess
Verbal (1) - JVoR

After this, all of the votes are pretty much consolidation.

On 4/15/2016 at 10:07 AM, HessStation said:

unvote vote JiF ?

Question mark seems oddly noncommittal.

Based on reading D1 lynch, I'd say the best lynches for today are probably 80, Crusher, and Hess.  Hally, Ape and DPR would give info as well, but I see them as less likely to flip scum than the others and I don't want to punish people for activity either.

I don't see a JC lynch as being informative at all.  Obviously, it would be great if he flipped scum, but if he flips town, we get pretty much nothing and I'm not going to take Ape's word on this.

unvote

Vote: 80

Would shed more light on yesterday's trains and his drop in activity from D1 is slightly troubling.

Archived