Villain's 1st 2016 Mock Draft. (Includes Wilk Trade)

Villain The Foe

This may be my one and only...havent really been able to dive into the prospects this season like in years past. Jets trade Mo Wilkerson to Chicago for Chicago's 2nd, 3rd and 4th round picks. 

R1. #20 WR Laquan Treadwell: Ol'e Miss. The Jets have a #1 and #2 WR, however, the Jets played the most 4 WR set in the NFL last season yet outside of Marshall/Decker there was no other legit threat, which means that Treadwell will see alot of playing time and will be useful immediately. Add Treadwell's size (6-2), natural hands, along with being a great possession receiver that can gain yards after the catch to Chan Gailey's system and you have yourself another possible mismatch at the WR position that you could move all around the line of scrimmage. 

R2. #41 (via Chi) TE Hunter Henry: Arkansas. This pick was tough I know we have Jace Amaro, and he's still young. However, one thing that is a fact is that Amaro does not have sure hands and he isnt a run blocker. I also wanted a guy like Center Nick Martin that could play behind Mangold this year, however, I couldnt pass up the opportunity of getting a guy who can actually start at a position that we're struggling with offensively. When's the last time the Jets had a stud TE? Its not like the Jets havent tried in the past. However, Henry is a guy who was as critical a part to the Razorbacks rushing game as he was a pass catcher which means that there is no reason for him to leave the field on running plays which ultimately means that defenses wont know what type of play is coming based on his appearance on the field. Probably the most complete TE in the nation and would be an instant upgrade at the position. We can cut Kellen Davis and put Amaro as a back up. 

R2.#51 OT Jason Spriggs: Indiana.  I would have waited until the 3rd round, however, Im skeptically optimistic on Ryan Clady. If healthy we're fine, if he gets injured we'll need a player on the left side and I would prefer Spriggs at LT rather than scrambling to find out how we're going to protect the blind side. Also, if Clady remains healthy it would be great to have a guy who could replace Giaccomini this season at the RT position. If all goes well Spriggs could start at RT and in time move to LT after Clady retires/moves on with some further development.

R3. #72 (via Chi) RB Kenneth Dixon. Many would probably feel that taking a RB here makes little sense since we resigned Powell, picked up Forte, Robinson and Archer for K/P returns. However, with Dixon's skillset along with having to replace Forte in a year or two, this is the perfect guy to draft that could actually learn from Forte...a guy who he has a similar game to. Dixon would be one of the best football players at this spot as well. I simply cant pass on this talent and will find a way to make it work. 

R3. #83 Trade to Tampa for QB Mike Glennon. 

R4. #106 (via Chi) K Roberto Aguayo: Florida St. Our special teams was poor last season. Aguayo is one of the best kickers in college history. With extra points no longer being a "chip shot" we should secure our kicker for the next 15 years with this 3x First-Team All American kicker. 

R4. #118 C Max Tuerk USC. Consolation prize for missing out on Nick Martin. Solid center returning from injury. Will have a year to devlelop and heal behind Mangold.  

R7. #240 OLB James Cowser: Southern Utah. Sleeper prospect that dominated the lower College level. 

7 hours ago, Greenseed4 said:

This was a lot of effort for a shameless Mike Glennon plug.

6 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

You could tell he gave up after that. He's like "We got Glennon, who gives a crap if we take a kicker in the 4th round?!"

4 hours ago, Dcat said:

You can expect Aguayo to go anywhere from late round 3 to round 5.  He'll be gone by then. And no, I'd scream for Mac's coffee privileges if he ever did that.

lol.

11 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

This may be my one and only...havent really been able to dive into the prospects this season like in years past. Jets trade Mo Wilkerson to Chicago for Chicago's 2nd, 3rd and 4th round picks. 

R1. #20 WR Laquan Treadwell: Ol'e Miss. The Jets have a #1 and #2 WR, however, the Jets played the most 4 WR set in the NFL last season yet outside of Marshall/Decker there was no other legit threat, which means that Treadwell will see alot of playing time and will be useful immediately. Add Treadwell's size (6-2), natural hands, along with being a great possession receiver that can gain yards after the catch to Chan Gailey's system and you have yourself another possible mismatch at the WR position that you could move all around the line of scrimmage. 

R2. #41 (via Chi) TE Hunter Henry: Arkansas. This pick was tough I know we have Jace Amaro, and he's still young. However, one thing that is a fact is that Amaro does not have sure hands and he isnt a run blocker. I also wanted a guy like Center Nick Martin that could play behind Mangold this year, however, I couldnt pass up the opportunity of getting a guy who can actually start at a position that we're struggling with offensively. When's the last time the Jets had a stud TE? Its not like the Jets havent tried in the past. However, Henry is a guy who was as critical a part to the Razorbacks rushing game as he was a pass catcher which means that there is no reason for him to leave the field on running plays which ultimately means that defenses wont know what type of play is coming based on his appearance on the field. Probably the most complete TE in the nation and would be an instant upgrade at the position. We can cut Kellen Davis and put Amaro as a back up. 

R2.#51 OT Jason Spriggs: Indiana.  I would have waited until the 3rd round, however, Im skeptically optimistic on Ryan Clady. If healthy we're fine, if he gets injured we'll need a player on the left side and I would prefer Spriggs at LT rather than scrambling to find out how we're going to protect the blind side. Also, if Clady remains healthy it would be great to have a guy who could replace Giaccomini this season at the RT position. If all goes well Spriggs could start at RT and in time move to LT after Clady retires/moves on with some further development.

R3. #72 (via Chi) RB Kenneth Dixon. Many would probably feel that taking a RB here makes little sense since we resigned Powell, picked up Forte, Robinson and Archer for K/P returns. However, with Dixon's skillset along with having to replace Forte in a year or two, this is the perfect guy to draft that could actually learn from Forte...a guy who he has a similar game to. Dixon would be one of the best football players at this spot as well. I simply cant pass on this talent and will find a way to make it work. 

R3. #83 Trade to Tampa for QB Mike Glennon. 

R4. #106 (via Chi) K Roberto Aguayo: Florida St. Our special teams was poor last season. Aguayo is one of the best kickers in college history. With extra points no longer being a "chip shot" we should secure our kicker for the next 15 years with this 3x First-Team All American kicker. 

R4. #118 C Max Tuerk USC. Consolation prize for missing out on Nick Martin. Solid center returning from injury. Will have a year to devlelop and heal behind Mangold.  

R7. #240 OLB James Cowser: Southern Utah. Sleeper prospect that dominated the lower College level. 

Didn't you forget the other 7th we got from Denver in the Clady deal? Or did you get tired of guessing?

Was it #228?

7 minutes ago, Colgateman said:

Good draft if we came away with young treadwell and hunter Henry 

I think so. I dont feel like we need to jump out the window to move up for a QB when we can get so much more young talent to put around a serviceable QB. Everyone is so concerned about QB or OLB that if we just look at the board we could possibly end up with the best WR and TE in the draft, taking care of immediate needs. 

The amount of 4 WR sets we use will keep Treadwell on the field constantly. We also will also have a TE that can block and provide a legit target in the passing game. I would be more than happy if our draft fell like this. I dont think we're getting a 1st for Wilk, but we should be able to pull a 2nd & 3rd rounders for him minimal. 

On 4/16/2016 at 0:55 PM, CrazyCarl40 said:

You could tell he gave up after that. He's like "We got Glennon, who gives a crap if we take a kicker in the 4th round?!"

LOL

I'll be honest, I'd be pretty happy if the first three rounds went the way he describes.

Hmmmm. I agree with the Wilk trade. I don't mind the Treadwell pick. I have been opposed to drafting a TE at all but you give a very nice explanation as to why we might do it. Still, using a 2nd rounder on a TE when the Jets have Amaro as a split end, Davis as a blocking TE, Sudfeld as depth and Enunwa as an H-back, doesn't make that much sense to me. Yes, they could certainly use a balanced TE but the need for THIS season isn't there, they brought everyone back, too early, IMO, Gailey will be fine with this group.  

I don't think Spriggs falls that far (late 1st early 2nd is my guess). Don't get the Dixon pickup- who would they cut to make room?!  Turk would be a steal late in the 4th- I like it. Our only OLB/Pass Rusher is taken in the 7th????? Rather than take Aguayo in the 4th I would move up into the early 6th to take Hackett-Punter. We need a good punter more than than a good kicker (we have Folk). And have not been able to get a good punter in FA. 

22 hours ago, PepPep said:

Hmmmm. I agree with the Wilk trade. I don't mind the Treadwell pick. I have been opposed to drafting a TE at all but you give a very nice explanation as to why we might do it. Still, using a 2nd rounder on a TE when the Jets have Amaro as a split end, Davis as a blocking TE, Sudfeld as depth and Enunwa as an H-back, doesn't make that much sense to me. Yes, they could certainly use a balanced TE but the need for THIS season isn't there, they brought everyone back, too early, IMO, Gailey will be fine with this group.  

I don't think Spriggs falls that far (late 1st early 2nd is my guess). Don't get the Dixon pickup- who would they cut to make room?!  Turk would be a steal late in the 4th- I like it. Our only OLB/Pass Rusher is taken in the 7th????? Rather than take Aguayo in the 4th I would move up into the early 6th to take Hackett-Punter. We need a good punter more than than a good kicker (we have Folk). And have not been able to get a good punter in FA. 

We have people at every position. If they were doing what we needed to have done then seeking another position wouldnt be a problem. Amaro's best attribute is supposed to be a pass catching TE yet he's not even great at catching the ball with this hands. He also cant be on the field during running plays because of his inability to block. 

So, when Amaro is in the game it tips the defense that its most likely a passing play, when he's off the field it's probably a running play. Not only would getting a TE that is competent in both areas is one less tip for the defense, not to mention that this is the job of a TE. I'd rather provide this guy and Amaro proves me wrong than not have this guy and Amaro is basically a liability. All of these names you mentioned yet none of these guys have "owned" the job. If anything thats an indictment on them. 

Spriggs probably wont fall that far. My mock is based on projections that I got from a website. I have us getting Kenneth Dixon in the 3rd....however, my gut tells me that he wont get past New England at the back end of the 2nd round...so I def agree with you there. Speaking of Dixon, they can cut whomever doesnt make the cut, however if you were looking for a specific name then maybe a guy like Zac Stacey or Dri Archer. 

In regards to the pass rusher, the good ones werent around. When you start drafting for need thats when you start making mistakes. Undrafted rookie free agency, standard free agency, the rookie in the 7th round, maybe Lorenzo Mauldin is good enough...etc. You make the best soup with the ingredients you have, forcing the issue in an earlier round with guys that I either don't believe in, or even worse, passing on a guy that I think is a better prospect or a better football player just to get a guy that I dont believe in during an earlier round doesnt make sense to me. I'd rather draft arguably best kicker in college football history than a developmental pass rusher. And the reason why is because of Lorenzo Mauldin. Lorenzo may not be the best, but we wont be completely without a pass rush from the OLB position. Picking up the next Vinatieri or Gostkowski, letting Lorenzo get a crack at pass rushing and only having to worry about finding a OLB to set the edge on the opposite side (replacing Calvin Pace) I felt was the better option. 

I do appreciate your breakdown though. Putting up my mock draft sucked the first few days having to go through the asinine comments before coming to stuff worth of reading such as yours. 

The closer we get to the draft, the more I expect a big WR at 20. Treadwell is a good guess, Docton and Thomas also fit the mold. I don't believe your 2nd round picks make it there, and I also don't believe Chan Gailey/Todd Bowles gives one wet s--t about the TE position. 

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

The closer we get to the draft, the more I expect a big WR at 20. Treadwell is a good guess, Docton and Thomas also fit the mold. I don't believe your 2nd round picks make it there, and I also don't believe Chan Gailey/Todd Bowles gives one wet s--t about the TE position. 

You're probably right on how they feel about the TE position. The thing is, Ryan Fitzpatrick was 31st out of 32 in completions in the middle of the field. Though I have no problem pointing out Fitz limitations, one of the reasons why I havent made a big deal about that particular stat is because the TE position really contributes to that stat. 

We need to have some sort of presence in the middle of the field, and we do need a TE that could block as well. We most likely wont be going TE in the 2nd round....its just hard to deny your point, but the Jets seriously have to do something about the position. Gailey/Bowles may give a rats ass about the position, but the position is utilized in the offense and our TE's are crap. 

Kicker is the one area on special teams where we do NOT have a concern.  Can't justify using any pick, much less a 4th, on a kicker. 

Now, if you could guarantee us a Shane Lechler-type punter in the late rounds, I could support that.

I also would hate not getting a 1st rounder out of the Wilkerson deal.  But if that's the reality of the situation, at least we'd come away with a QB somewhere in all of that in this scenario....

16 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

the position is utilized in the offense and our TE's are crap. 

these statements are related. Gailey isn't drawing up plays for the TE, hence they aren't utilized. Instead they use oversized WR even in the slot (like Enunwa). The only way that changes is if/when Gailey gets fired. 

8 hours ago, bitonti said:

these statements are related. Gailey isn't drawing up plays for the TE, hence they aren't utilized. Instead they use oversized WR even in the slot (like Enunwa). The only way that changes is if/when Gailey gets fired. 

eh, i think he's just scheming to the roster's strengths. Chan made plenty use of Chandler & Gonzalez in his previous stops. We'll see how poject: Amaro goes. 

8 hours ago, bitonti said:

Gailey wasnt drawing up plays for the TE position because we didnt have a TE last season. Precisely why we were using Enunwa. Gailey doesnt have to get fired in order for us to use a TE. Scott Chandler's most productive years were in 2011/2012 under Chan Gailey in Buffalo. 

If we could get 550 yards and 6 TD's from the TE position I think we'd take it right now. And those stats would be double the yardage and 6 more TD's than Enunwa had playing the position. 

13 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

Gailey wasnt drawing up plays for the TE position because we didnt have a TE last season. 

even when Amaro was healthy he was playing H back with the 3rd team. It's not a position that he wants to emphasize. Despite the ever so productive Scott Chandler years. 

2 hours ago, bitonti said:

even when Amaro was healthy he was playing H back with the 3rd team. It's not a position that he wants to emphasize. Despite the ever so productive Scott Chandler years. 

Amaro was playing H-back because Amaro was a liability in the blocking game. Remember, one of the reasons why they even decided to go with Enunwa was because his unique blocking ability. 

Play design is designed around our players abilities, which is the smart thing to do as a coach. That doesnt mean that if you find a TE that can do the job that you dont take him, because of past scenarios. Amaro is more of a WR than he is a TE, the problem is his hands arent sure enough to be a WR and his blocking isnt good enough to be a TE. H-back it is in a situation like that. 

31 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Amaro was playing H-back because Amaro was a liability in the blocking game. Remember, one of the reasons why they even decided to go with Enunwa was because his unique blocking ability. 

Play design is designed around our players abilities, which is the smart thing to do as a coach. That doesnt mean that if you find a TE that can do the job that you dont take him, because of past scenarios. Amaro is more of a WR than he is a TE, the problem is his hands arent sure enough to be a WR and his blocking isnt good enough to be a TE. H-back it is in a situation like that. 

One thing I learned about the draft a long time ago, it's that the draft isn't about what we want the team to do. It's about predicting what the team will do. Predicting the Jets taking a TE in rd 2, after they didn't use a TE all last year, is what you want them to do.  It's not what they want to do.  Also btw this is a terrible TE draft even if they were so inclined, this isn't the year to do it. 

59 minutes ago, bitonti said:

One thing I learned about the draft a long time ago, it's that the draft isn't about what we want the team to do. It's about predicting what the team will do. Predicting the Jets taking a TE in rd 2, after they didn't use a TE all last year, is what you want them to do.  It's not what they want to do.  Also btw this is a terrible TE draft even if they were so inclined, this isn't the year to do it. 

What I learned about Mock Drafts, they're fun but really a waste of time. This is my perspective, but in no way does it mean that this is what the Jets will do. 

This may be a terrible TE draft, but this could also be a terrible QB draft as well yet we know that the top 2 picks will be QB's. Who would'a thunk it?! lol. 

Archived