Report: Jets Take a Look at Pair of Georgia Linebackers

JetNation

Todd Bowles

By Glenn Naughtonhttps://twitter.com/MMehtaNYDN

Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News is reporting that New York Jets Head Coach Todd Bowles and defensive coordinator Kacy Rodgers are heading south for an official business trip.

Still in search of a speed rusher off the edge, the pair are heading to Georgia where they will meet with linebackers Leonard Floyd and Jordan Jenkins.

Floyd, a player who many have projected to Gang Green at number 20 overall in the upcoming draft is the more highly regarded prospect. Checking in at 6′ 6”, 244 lbs, Floyd has an explosive first step and was a disruptive force for the Bulldogs, racking up 17 sacks and 26.5 tackles for loss.

The versatile and more compact Jenkins who checks in at 6′ 3”, 253 played four seasons in Georgia where he totaled 19 sacks to go along with 39 tackles for loss.  Viewed as more of an all-around player as opposed to an elite pass-rusher, NFL.com had the following to say about Jenkins on his player profile:

SOURCES TELL US

“I think he’s a plug-and-play second-rounder who can play in an odd or even front. He reminds me of the type of guy Ozzie (Newsome) looks for with his toughness.” — ­AFC Director of Scouting

NFL COMPARISON

Nick Perry

BOTTOM LINE

Three-year starter who has played both outside linebacker spots in the Bulldogs 3-­4 defense. With Jenkins length and outstanding power on the edge, he is a natural fit as an edge-­setting strongside 3­-4 outside linebacker in the pros. Jenkins may not be viewed as dangerous enough as a pass rusher to warrant a first round pick, but he’s a safe pick whose toughness and football IQ make him an early starter candidate.

If either one of the pair will be wearing green and white in the near future, this week’s visit from Bowles and Rodgers will go a long way in making it happen.
Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
4zKv1Aq3OZA

Click here to read the full story...

3 minutes ago, section314 said:

Agree. I think of him as a better version of David Harris.

A "better David Harris"? With his big contract, and criticisms he receives, you do realize David Harris is a very solid player who is a tackling machine? To call a college player who hasn't set foot on an NFL field a "better David Harris" seems like awfully big praise. 

1 minute ago, pointman said:

A "better David Harris"? With his big contract, and criticisms he receives, you do realize David Harris is a very solid player who is a tackling machine? To call a college player who hasn't set foot on an NFL field a "better David Harris" seems like awfully big praise. 

I think the world of Harris. He is a fantastic player, I just think that Jenkins is potentially a superior player. When I watch Georgia, he really stands out to me. No knock at all on Harris.

14 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

To tell the truth, I prefer Jenkins > The kid has something special .  He's simply put, "A Football Player ".

1 minute ago, Tinstar said:

Actually I think he's a better Bryan  Thomas with better sack instincts .

Better comparison.

Interesting that they are visiting the players rather than flying them up to NJ ... Perhaps due it to being 2 guys instead of 1 ... But haven't most of the recent recruit situations been the players coming up to the coaches?

unless I'm missing something this feels like it may be more of a smokescreen designed to hide interest in one of the QB's ... Why wouldn't Big Mac be part of the evaluators ?

1 minute ago, ljr said:

Interesting that they are visiting the players rather than flying them up to NJ ... Perhaps due it to being 2 guys instead of 1 ... But haven't most of the recent recruit situations been the players coming up to the coaches?

unless I'm missing something this feels like it may be more of a smokescreen designed to hide interest in one of the QB's ... Why wouldn't Big Mac be part of the evaluators ?

If they stay put at 20 theres a good possibility Goff,Wentz,Cook and Lynch will be gone they are in the plan B mode it seems.also considering we could use a good LB. 

1 minute ago, joewilly12 said:

If they stay put at 20 theres a good possibility Goff,Wentz,Cook and Lynch will be gone they are in the plan B mode it seems.also considering we could use a good LB. 

Still believe odds are we move Mo for best deal we can get on Draft Day ... So don't really expect us to stay put at 20 ... However if we did Floyd is certainly projected in that range by many of the draft "experts" & we def could use a good OLB prospect.

i could see us or another team reaching for a QB in the back half of round 1 after the top 2 guys are gone ... Would be very surprised to see all 4 of those guys go though.

any pearls of wisdom on the why our coaches flying to GA & why Mac is not part?

1 minute ago, ljr said:

Still believe odds are we move Mo for best deal we can get on Draft Day ... So don't really expect us to stay put at 20 ... However if we did Floyd is certainly projected in that range by many of the draft "experts" & we def could use a good OLB prospect.

i could see us or another team reaching for a QB in the back half of round 1 after the top 2 guys are gone ... Would be very surprised to see all 4 of those guys go though.

My guess would be the coaches might have more insight and understanding of the LB position and evaluate the talent better than Macc,just a guess. 

1 minute ago, joewilly12 said:

My guess would be the coaches might have more insight and understanding of the LB position and evaluate the talent better than Macc,just a guess. 

I don't disagree with that ... But Mac is the boss ... Why not fly the guys to NJ so he can observe/interact with them as well?

seems a little off ... JMO

2 minutes ago, ljr said:

Using Wilk to move up to say the Bears spot and select Floyd would be a waste.  Its either move up to grab Lynch or get picks this year/next.    

1 minute ago, Powpow said:

Using Wilk to move up to say the Bears spot and select Floyd would be a waste.  Its either move up to grab Lynch or get picks this year/next.    

Agree with that (or to try & package that + more to move up to 2 if Whichever of the Wentz/Goff prospects Mac is into is still there) ... JW12 was discussing Floyd as a plan B if we stayed at 20.

you have any feelings on the why not fly the kids up to NJ so Mac can be part of it ? 

19 minutes ago, ljr said:

Agree with that (or to try & package that + more to move up to 2 if Whichever of the Wentz/Goff prospects Mac is into is still there) ... JW12 was discussing Floyd as a plan B if we stayed at 20.

you have any feelings on the why not fly the kids up to NJ so Mac can be part of it ? 

Maybe he's just to busy to be part of the on site evaluation and trusts Bowles eye enough.  This Jenkins kid sounds very interesting.  He sounds like he could definitely be Harris' successor.  Draft day is just a week and a half away.  Mac is probably going through his Mad Mike homework, phone calls, tape, profiles, meetings with scouts, etc. and just doesn't have the time to see these two right now.   

To make a move for a QB for the future, this is the year to do it because of MO being a bargaining chip.

How the hell is Mo a bargaining chip?

Teams would have to give up draft picks AND take on his monster contract.

He is more of a liability than an asset.

17 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

How the hell is Mo a bargaining chip?

Teams would have to give up draft picks AND take on his monster contract.

He is more of a liability than an asset.

He's a bagaining chip because he's a proven pro bowler (one i'd love to get rid of for his asking price). But teams have given up more and overpaid for less. Somewhere out there is a fish ready to take the bait. 

7 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

He's a bagaining chip because he's a proven pro bowler (one i'd love to get rid of for his asking price). But teams have given up more and overpaid for less. Somewhere out there is a fish ready to take the bait. 

Right.  Mo is worth big money.  Just not for us because we have Sheldon and Williams.  If we didn't draft Williams, pretty sure a long-term deal with Mo would've been done a while ago.

There are probably at least a few teams who don't have a Sheldon/Williams combo who would jump at signing him while also giving up some draft compensation.  Looking forward to seeing what Macc gets done.

Al Davis is dead. No team out there will give up draft picks and assume at least a $90MM+ contract.

Mo will rob the Jets of $15.7MM this year and leave as a FA next year.

Only thing the Jets will get in return is a 3rd round comp pick.

Just now, PatsFanTX said:

Al Davis is dead. No team out there will give up draft picks and assume at least a $90MM+ contract.

You should rephrase this saying 'My hope as a Pats fan is the worst case scenario: Mo leaves next year and Jets just get a 3RD rounder'.   

The Giants paid Olivier Vernon the richest contract for a defensive end in NFL history: five years, $85 million, with a bigger guarantee ($52.5 million) than J.J. Watt got two years ago. Ya just never know what a team will pull out the bag.

4 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

In your opinion, which of course has your usual anti Jet troll slant. In under two weeks the truth will be revealed.

You should rephrase this saying 'My hope as a Pats fan is the worst case scenario: Mo leaves next year and Jets just get a 3RD rounder'.   

The Giants paid Olivier Vernon the richest contract for a defensive end in NFL history: five years, $85 million, with a bigger guarantee ($52.5 million) than J.J. Watt got two years ago. Ya just never know what a team will pull out the bag.

I agree with you. If it was just the money or just the draft picks, some team out there would sign Mo rather quickly.

It's the combination of money AND draft picks that is the issue.

2 hours ago, ljr said:

I don't disagree with that ... But Mac is the boss ... Why not fly the guys to NJ so he can observe/interact with them as well?

seems a little off ... JMO

this may have something about the official 30 visits allowed.  does anyone know how many we have and if going to them counts towards the total 

allowed

12 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

I agree with you. If it was just the money or just the draft picks, some team out there would sign Mo rather quickly.

True that. So best case scenario for Jets and whoever trades for him would be an exchange of draft slots.  Which goes back to your prior post in this thread 'How the hell is Mo a bargaining chip?'  An exchange of draft slots wouldn't cost draft picks if we can deal with the Cowboys. Or if we go straight for the jugular and get the Browns #2, we could use Mo and other picks (it would be worth it to get Goff) to make that deal happen.  Mo is a chip and a big one at that. Hopefully Mac can pull something off.

7 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

I agree that both money and draft picks make the deal more difficult, but there are 6 teams with over 20 million dollars in cap space.  I know they have to spend a certain amount by league rule, not sure how much.  That could help a teams thought process as Wilk is a proven player and still young at 26.  The draft is still a crap shoot as there are always a certain amount of busts every draft year.

As far as why Bowles and Rodgers went to Georgia instead of flying both players to NJ, it could be that they already have scheduled the allotted amount of visits and they may have figured they could kill two birds with one stone.

4 hours ago, section314 said:

Agree. I think of him as a better version of David Harris.

David Harris may be the most under appreciated jet ever.  3 separate regimes have made him the alpha dog of their defenses.  A new FO comes, "alright we got ILB locked down, where else do we need to turn our attention."  Not elite but top shelf for his whole career.

1 hour ago, PatsFanTX said:

Whatever the Jets are offering vs. whatever MO is asking for, I believe theres one team that will pay in the middle of that for a DE in entering his prime. 

4 hours ago, Tinstar said:

Actually I think he's a better Bryan  Thomas with better sack instincts .

This is pretty good.  I think the height of his ceiling is kind of close to a Calvin Pace-esque player.

2 hours ago, PatsFanTX said:

I wouldn't hold your breath on that one.

Thinking the equivalent of high to mid 2nd round value will be end result ... Whether it is simply a pick ... Or ammo during the draft to move up & grab a player ... We'll all be seeing soon one way or another

Archived