Seven Years Ago Today

CrazyCarl40

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In a Chan Gailey system.... I wonder how Mark would have developed.  

He could have been at least...slightly above average. 

HIs first game vs Texans, he looked great.   Week four against Saints he looked like a lost puppy.

I still blame the Jets partially for his lack of development. 

THink about it... Rookie QB, 22 years old and the coach never attends the offensive meetings????

18 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

My Facebook "On This Day" told me that my status this day seven years ago was "I think the Jets just made a huge mistake." Time has told us that I was mostly correct. Let's not have history repeat itself this year.

09-draft-meet-jets-giants-br-mark-sanchez-jets.jpg

nfl_u_sanchez01_600.jpg

If it was "Mark Sanchez, QB, Notre Dame" your status would have just been a unicorn cumming. 

16 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

If it was "Mark Sanchez, QB, Notre Dame" your status would have just been a unicorn cumming. 

Now, now. I thought it was a huge mistake (especially making him a starter right away), but I was a staunch Sanchez supporter. Just didn't work out. Learn from the past.

21 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

In a Chan Gailey system.... I wonder how Mark would have developed.  

He could have been at least...slightly above average. 

HIs first game vs Texans, he looked great.   Week four against Saints he looked like a lost puppy.

I still blame the Jets partially for his lack of development. 

THink about it... Rookie QB, 22 years old and the coach never attends the offensive meetings????

So terrible the way he played behind the best OL in the game, the #1 rushing team in the NFL and the best defense in the NFL and for 2 straight seasons that carried him to the AFC champ game. 

Poor kid.  If only he had better circumstances. 

4 minutes ago, JiF said:

So terrible the way he played behind the best OL in the game, the #1 rushing team in the NFL and the best defense in the NFL and for 2 straight seasons that carried him to the AFC champ game. 

we were #1 rushing in 2009 mainly b/c of a few incredible games against awful opponents(Buffalo twice and Oakland).  The OL was very good, the D was very good but also very overrated- how many games did they blow those first 2 years?

In 2010 the run game was average, LT had a great first month then was pretty bad the rest of the way.  The pass O led that team that year after the run game would fail.

we had a similar team in 1998 w/ a HOF QB against a much weaker sched and no Tom Brady and we couldn't even make the playoffs.

You don't make back to back title games, win 4 straight road games(including defeating the hottest team in the AFC in div rd each year) w/o quality QB play.

Post 2010 we started stripping away the talent around him, he still had decent talent in 2011 and he set Jets record for total TDs but 3 of the top 5 weapons he had entering 2011 were out of football in 2012 and the talent we had around him in 2012 was a complete joke.

34 minutes ago, Colgateman said:

Say what you want about Sanchez, if we had a guy who could properly develop a quarterback he would still be here right now and we would of won a super bowl.

Only 1? 

I think 8-9 by now

Still there are cries of him becoming a pro bowler if only this or that?

Unless they get shellshocked like David Carr, a QB doesn't get ruined because of who was his first OC (let alone the all-defense HC who likely taught him nothing, good or bad). I'd he was all that he'd have shown it in Philadelphia. Kelly got a good, long look at him. The result was being behind Foles, an ill fit for Kelly + having a bad first half season, followed by a huge trade for Sam Bradford instead of just trading Foles even-up for pick(s) and then promoting Sanchez to starter. There wasn't even a hint of SF one-upping Denver for a conditional 7th for Sanchez.

He has above average starter physical tools but a backup's field vision + panic instincts. Many have tried to teach him, including those who somehow didn't permanently ruin others. This "everyone's fault but Mark's" routine was already old several years ago. Let the myth go. 

1 hour ago, Colgateman said:

Say what you want about Sanchez, if we had a guy who could properly develop a quarterback he would still be here right now and we would of won a super bowl.

WHAAAT?! That is such complete crap. Sanchez got EVERYTHING he could have possibly ever wanted or needed in the Jets offense, and HE (not anyone else), sh8t the bad with it. He was a turnover machine. I love this crap how everyone tries to blame Rex Ryan or Brian Schottenheimer  because Mark Sanchez sucks. In case you hadn't noticed, Sanchez has had another opportunity in Philly and he was never good enough to crack the starting lineup there either.

1 minute ago, Mainejet said:

WHAAAT?! That is such complete crap. Sanchez got EVERYTHING he could have possibly ever wanted or needed in the Jets offense, and HE (not anyone else), sh8t the bad with it. He was a turnover machine. I love this crap how everyone tries to blame Rex Ryan or Brian Schottenheimer  because Mark Sanchez sucks. In case you hadn't noticed, Sanchez has had another opportunity in Philly and he was never good enough to crack the starting lineup there either.

he was really good in philly in 2014 actually and he was good here when he had the talent around him but post 2010 we thought he'd elevate average talent and become a top QB.  That's not who he is or was, guys like that don't come around often.  we needed to keep surrounding him w/ talent b/c he proved that when he had it he could win.

8 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Still there are cries of him becoming a pro bowler if only this or that?

Unless they get shellshocked like David Carr, a QB doesn't get ruined because of who was his first OC (let alone the all-defense HC who likely taught him nothing, good or bad). I'd he was all that he'd have shown it in Philadelphia. Kelly got a good, long look at him. The result was being behind Foles, an ill fit for Kelly + having a bad first half season, followed by a huge trade for Sam Bradford instead of just trading Foles even-up for pick(s) and then promoting Sanchez to starter. There wasn't even a hint of SF one-upping Denver for a conditional 7th for Sanchez.

He has above average starter physical tools but a backup's field vision + panic instincts. Many have tried to teach him, including those who somehow didn't permanently ruin others. This "everyone's fault but Mark's" routine was already old several years ago. Let the myth go. 

he was actually good in philly, he elevated that offense(ran it better than anyone under Chip) against the tougher portion of the schedule.  He is not and never will be a top QB, he is a QB teams can win with.  wish we had one of those.

The Jets, who have sucked forever at drafting QB's, somehow "ruin" every QB they draft.  You can't ruin something that is already terrible.  It just is.  Blame our front offices for being unable to evaluate talent.  Blame Rex for being so willing to double down on Sanchez and not demand a better QB, because he sucked at evaluating talent as well.  But no one "ruined" Mark Sanchez. 

Aside from Jim Harbaugh "fixing" Alex Smith (and not really, because he's still fairly sh*tty, and he disposed Smith in favor of Kaepernick the moment Smith got hurt), it's impossible to "fix" a bad QB.  Sh*tty QB's are sh*tty and always remain sh*tty.  Yet you still have people who think Mark Sanchez was really a Top 10 QB, and that a guy like Geno Smith can be "fixed".  Nope.  They're in the same category of sh*tty, and sometimes you just have to move on before its too late and you miss out on non-sh*tty QB's draft after draft.

As much as I was glad to see Sanchez kicked to the curb when he was, this is still actually one of the few moves I really don't hold against the Jets that much.  On a relative scale, they gave up next to nothing to make the move up that they did, and took a real shot at a QB for the first time in ages, after years and years of hoping their QB wouldn't get hurt.  In the end, it didn't work out, so the team doesn't deserve to get praised for it (especially when you consider that idiotic second contract Sanchez was given), but given the relatively low cost, it was still a risk well worth taking.

21 minutes ago, JiF said:

I totally get that.... How mature were you at 22??? A 22 year old needs development. 

I have read 2 books by Parcells and it simply leads me to believe other coaches would have handled it differently.

IMO...Flacco, if drafted by a REX team would be a back up today.

But yes...  Mark behaved poorly, immaturely. TO that point , Francessa ripped him for the sideline hotdog incident.

Cited poor judgement etc...  Turns out he was right. 

18 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

we were #1 rushing in 2009 mainly b/c of a few incredible games against awful opponents(Buffalo twice and Oakland).  The OL was very good, the D was very good but also very overrated- how many games did they blow those first 2 years?

In 2010 the run game was average, LT had a great first month then was pretty bad the rest of the way.  The pass O led that team that year after the run game would fail.

we had a similar team in 1998 w/ a HOF QB against a much weaker sched and no Tom Brady and we couldn't even make the playoffs.

You don't make back to back title games, win 4 straight road games(including defeating the hottest team in the AFC in div rd each year) w/o quality QB play.

Post 2010 we started stripping away the talent around him, he still had decent talent in 2011 and he set Jets record for total TDs but 3 of the top 5 weapons he had entering 2011 were out of football in 2012 and the talent we had around him in 2012 was a complete joke.

I'm reminded of Thomas Jones who we all loved.  EVERY game he had at least one run for 50 plus yards that padded his stats

and those of the running game.   Not to mention that our over rated D came out flat in both championship games. MArk played fairly OK in both, or at a minimum, was not at fault like a Jim Kelly in the SB.

54 minutes ago, Colgateman said:

55 minutes ago, Colgateman said:

We could have won in 2010 with sandchez, wasn't on Sanchez, see Schotty.

8 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The Jets, who have sucked forever at drafting QB's, somehow "ruin" every QB they draft.  You can't ruin something that is already terrible.  It just is.  Blame our front offices for being unable to evaluate talent.  Blame Rex for being so willing to double down on Sanchez and not demand a better QB, because he sucked at evaluating talent as well.  But no one "ruined" Mark Sanchez. 

Aside from Jim Harbaugh "fixing" Alex Smith (and not really, because he's still fairly sh*tty, and he disposed Smith in favor of Kaepernick the moment Smith got hurt), it's impossible to "fix" a bad QB.  Sh*tty QB's are sh*tty and always remain sh*tty.  Yet you still have people who think Mark Sanchez was really a Top 10 QB, and that Geno Smith can be "fixed".  Nope.

ALex Smith is, in my view, the example that Mark could have been if coached better.   NOT great, but not a laughing stock. 

2 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

I'm reminded of Thomas Jones who we all loved.  EVERY game he had at least one run for 50 plus yards that padded his stats

and those of the running game.   Not to mention that our over rated D came out flat in both championship games. MArk played fairly OK in both, or at a minimum, was not at fault like a Jim Kelly in the SB.

Our D led us to both title games, they weren't a truly great D but they led the team.  My point is mark gets far too little credit, it's hard to win in the playoffs, really hard to win on the road.  He helped us win all of those road playoff games and wasn't the reason we lost the title games.  He was definitely too up and down in regular seasons and I understand criticism but some of it is way over the top.  You don't make those runs w/ poor QB play.  

7 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

I totally get that.... How mature were you at 22??? A 22 year old needs development. 

I have read 2 books by Parcells and it simply leads me to believe other coaches would have handled it differently.

But yes...  Mark behaved poorly, immaturely. TO that point , Francessa ripped him for the sideline hotdog incident.

I blame Tannenbaum more(and I am a Tannenbaum supporter), I think it had everything to do w/ lack of talent around him while he regressed the last 2 years here.

Interesting that you bring up Flacco, I think the first few years he and mark were very similar.  the difference was ozzie kept trying to add pieces around him and eventually Flacco got a lot better.

17 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Aside from Jim Harbaugh "fixing" Alex Smith (and not really, because he's still fairly sh*tty, and he disposed Smith in favor of Kaepernick the moment Smith got hurt), it's impossible to "fix" a bad QB.  Sh*tty QB's are sh*tty and always remain sh*tty.  Yet you still have people who think Mark Sanchez was really a Top 10 QB, and that a guy like Geno Smith can be "fixed".  Nope.  They're in the same category of sh*tty, and sometimes you just have to move on before its too late and you miss out on non-sh*tty QB's draft after draft.

Remember how QB whisper Chip Kelly saved him? 

13 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

He whipped a bugger on Mark Brunnel. 

10 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

ALex Smith is, in my view, the example that Mark could have been if coached better.   NOT great, but not a laughing stock. 

Nah, not a good comparison at all really.  Alex Smith is so aversive to turnovers that he is a checkdown machine.  He's far more like Chad Pennington than he is Mark Sanchez.

Sanchez is like a reeeeeallllly sh*tty, sh*tty version of Brett Favre or Eli Manning.  Completely unopposed to taking risks.  He plays scared a lot, true, but he's always willing to throw into triple coverage.  There was never any hope for Sanchez to be a "game manager", even if that was the label so many put on him because of how good our running game and defense was in 2009-10.  Sanchez would lose games even when the D held the opposition under 10 points and/or our running game looked good, because he'd throw a bunch of picks.

In any case, even if you WERE correct that Sanchez could have ended up the next Alex Smith, that's not a good place to be.  You don't want a QB who is only good enough to help you tread water as a franchise (and thus ends up making a ton of money, like Pennington did), but never can beat top defenses because he's unwilling/unable to take more risks and beat teams with downfield throws when the team needs him to.  You can't win a Super Bowl with a "C" quarterback.  You can win with a "B" quarterback who occasionally can elevate to the "A" level when it matters most.

I'll fight forever on Sanchez supporters. We made the championships in spite in him, yes he played good in the playoffs but in the regular season he was really bad. Sure after 2010 the team got worse but he was supposed to develop and be able to shoulder some of that and find a way to win. Franchise quarterbacks can perform well under any circumstance, so we knew right there he wasn't one. That's fine! He could have still been a good quarterback or even juts above average, but didn't show that either. He is what he is and will be, a decent backup with a ton of experience.  He will be in the league for the next 10 years, playing the backup role with the occasional start and maybe even if he finds a good team performs well and some dumb team will pay him a lot of money to be their starter (I'm looking at you McCown) maybe he starts with the Broncos and does well, I wouldn't be surprised. He needs an elite team to look like a starting caliber quarterback. Geno needs a team of 10 other hall of famers around him to look like he MIGHT belong in the nfl if the defense he was facing only had 3 men and a monkey on it. 

1 hour ago, nyjunc said:

he was really good in philly in 2014 actually and he was good here when he had the talent around him but post 2010 we thought he'd elevate average talent and become a top QB.  That's not who he is or was, guys like that don't come around often.  we needed to keep surrounding him w/ talent b/c he proved that when he had it he could win.

And who's fault was that? Tanny? Idzik? Either way, Sanchez's meteoric fall from grace was on his shoulders because you cannot maintain  the level of talent the Jets had on the team consistently. And yes, you are absolutely correct that Sanchez cannot elevate anyone else on the field. If you give him the talent? He'll be marginal at best just like his first two years in the league would indicate.

And with the Eagles he had ONE good game, then the defense caught up with his tendencies and he threw 3 interceptions his next outing.

One of the better trade ups of all time by the Jets, lucky we had a sucker in Mangini 'picking his groceries'.  I didn't like Sanchez from before day one as most of his highlights were him throwing off his back foot with not tons of pressure to guys running wide open down the field.  (I didn't realize he was such an immature brat at the time though.)  To make things worse the Jets 100% mishandled him playing in to this coddle ways.

The trade up itself was a terrific one though.

Archived