Hackenberg & Petty

jett

7 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Had a football background and a Casserly endorsement. Casserly also should probably be put out to pasture. Maybe I'm wrong, I just get the sense we have a bunch of idiots who laugh at analytics running the show. Twitter has become a cesspool of idiocy, but you could literally follow a few of the smart ones and do a decent enough job in the draft. The Giants somehow managed to come away with a running back and tight end with upside...The Jets see offense as a annoyance. Its infuriating.

It really is amazing. The Seahawks retain Korn Ferry and end up with Schneider and Carroll; we do the same and end up with Idzik and another two years of Rex. The Panthers bring in Accorsi to run their search and he gives them Gettleman; we bring in Moe Howard to run ours and he gives us Maccagnan. Even when Woody takes himself out of the equation, we manage to **** things up.

12 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Had a football background and a Casserly endorsement. Casserly also should probably be put out to pasture. Maybe I'm wrong, I just get the sense we have a bunch of idiots who laugh at analytics running the show. Twitter has become a cesspool of idiocy, but you could literally follow a few of the smart ones and do a decent enough job in the draft. The Giants somehow managed to come away with a running back and tight end with upside...The Jets see offense as a annoyance. Its infuriating.

You're right about the analytics too. We've been well behind the curve on everything since Woody bought the team. I honestly think if he had his druthers we'd have Parcells running the show.

3 hours ago, Jet in PA said:

I think Petty was more of a number two when he was drafted I don't know that he was ever the long term plan. I do think that if Hack comes along in camp and the coaching staff is comfortable we probably won't draft a QB high again. He's the first one we've drafted in a while that can be a star from the neck up and the neck down. It is very possible that in the future Hack will be the number one with Petty as the two. I love Petty as a person and both of them seem to be leaders. It's just hard to develop a QB for the future when he has to sit for two+ years and is already pretty old.

Yea pretty sure the convo going into Fri Night was if Hackenburg is there at 51 he's the pick.

2 hours ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

Point taken, and I appreciate the consistantcy :) Cimini just posted a similar view

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/60175/jets-gm-stakes-his-reputation-to-polarizing-qb-christian-hackenberg

I am just struggling to believe this was a calculated decision, Hack was a deer in the headlights QB in every OSU/PSU game I watched, 10 minutes of decent play in 3 games,  Clearly Mac knows more then I do, so let's hope he is right, Go Jets! 

I get where you're coming from. The only way Jets staff could have made this decision is if they were absolutely convinced that the reasons for Hackenberg's poor performance were largely not his fault and correctable They're seeing Seattle Slew who blew the gates off as a two year old, then was used as a cart horse pulling milk for a year. Can they retrieve the thoroughbred and see him race for glory? He's very young, and he showed incredible resilience and unwillingness to give in to failure. And he's got the football smarts. That is the key difference between the great ones and the journeymen. Just a gut feeling at this point, but I believe he could be the exception to the statistics precisely because his path has been so bizarre.... and why he was more or less dismissed by the vast majority of teams. The Jets really dug deep on this one to look under the hood. If they're worth their salt, it will produce results.

I think drafting Hackenberg means that our GM feels that he is already further along in the development process and closer to being NFL game ready than Petty as opposed to a lack of confidence in Petty.  Whatever the case is, I really feel that having Fitz on the team this year would be a massive asset to the development of Hackenberg and Petty.  A veteran presence and a positive example of how to properly approach being an NFL QB on and off the field can only be a benefit.  With that being said, if Fitz is back, Geno is out, and that would be an addition by subtraction.

2 hours ago, dbatesman said:

It really is amazing. The Seahawks retain Korn Ferry and end up with Schneider and Carroll; we do the same and end up with Idzik and another two years of Rex. The Panthers bring in Accorsi to run their search and he gives them Gettleman; we bring in Moe Howard to run ours and he gives us Maccagnan. Even when Woody takes himself out of the equation, we manage to **** things up.

Moe Howard:)

11 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

Nope.

Not at all.

Everyone, except the a portion of our fanbase, expected Petty to be a multi-year project. Most college QBs take a couple years. The ones that never spend any time in a pro-style offense take even longer.

I think the Hackenberg selection is just like the Petty selection, but perhaps they don't envision Hack needing as long. Meaning, by next year they'll have true competition and a choice of Petty or Hack. If all goes as planned, one of them emerges. If we get really lucky, they'll both be good. If not, then it only cost us a 2nd and 4th to give TWO QBs a shot at making it.

It's sort of a moneyball concept. 

I say it all the time... QBs are currency in this league. With the concussion protocol being what it is, you absolutely have to be setup up to keep winning if your QB misses a few weeks with a concussion... rather than watching your season go down the tubes over it.

I have absolutely confidence that one, or both, of these guys is going to be a player for us. Future hall of famer? Nah... let's not get greedy... I'd settle for a home-grown winning QB that can help us win it all.

Your expectations are probably too high.  Let's start off by hoping Hack throws as many TDs in his career as Fitz threw last season.  That's quite an accomplishment.  It took Sanchez two full seasons of starting with a playoff team both years, and Geno (drafted a little higher than Hack has still yet to throw that many TDs in his career.  I think it's a good bench mark.

this is going to make or break Macc as a GM so he will probably get more of an opportunity than his talent would suggest, so there is a shot.

14 hours ago, jett said:

Does anyone think the Hackenberg pick was because of their (lack of) belief in Petty? Or they just fell in love with Hackenberg and couldn't resist. I think since he believes in picking a QB every year I'd say it's not an indictment on Petty.  That even if Petty showed a ton of potential, he still hasn't proven anything and he would have still picked him. I know a lot of people don't like picking qbs every year and especially when they are considered projects, but I love it. Take them all in my opinion.  One of them will eventually be good right? 

What do you guys think this pick means for Petty. They don't believe in him? They didn't like what they saw? Or just another potential quarterback. 

I think they drafted petty hoping he could be a decent backup QB, but always reserving the anticipation that a light bulb may go off and he would have an epiphany.

I really wonder if this is Woody's fault?  Woody fell in love with Tebow and Plaxico Burress and we eventually signed both.

i have trouble believing that our draft strategy hasn't changed with 3 GMs and two coaches.  For the last 7 years, our drafts are incredibly very similar.  Best defensive player available in the first, then overdraft a raw, hugely risky developmental project with their second round.  Ducasse, Amaro, Devin Smith, and Hackenburg.  Broken record.  And this is the definition of insanity.  Haven't found the slightest contribution from our second round pick since David Harris.  You cant win in this league by drafting this poorly.

11 hours ago, dbatesman said:

Holy crap! Your negativity is unbelievable. You do know that sports are entertainment & each and every decision the Jets make shouldn't ruin your life. So, after a 10-6 season and his 1st draft with "his scouts" your flipping the monopoly board over and leaving the room? Get a grip son, no one including you knows what the Jets will be this coming season. I'm positive that if we looked at your posts pre 2015 season, we were a 4-12 team in your eyes. These boards of filled with fans that truly hope we suck just so they can say, "I told u so".

14 hours ago, TheMagicRat said:

In my opinion, instead of playing actual live games in Europe, why not have a developmental league there like when they had NFL Europe? The NFL gets to expand and young players have a chance to develop. Some high profile rookies would actually have a chance to develop and may draw the interest of NFL fans in Europe. Seems like a win-win. 

That's what NFL Europe was ... undrafted free agents, low end draft picks, conversion projects and "last chance saloon" guys trying to resurrect their careers.

Oddly enough, attendance was pretty poor and it was costing the NFL a fortune to run.

Whereas any regular season game here is a sell out, in a near 80,000 capacity stadium; plus I'd guess merchandise sales are higher too. It's all about the $.

10 hours ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

I get where you're coming from. The only way Jets staff could have made this decision is if they were absolutely convinced that the reasons for Hackenberg's poor performance were largely not his fault and correctable They're seeing Seattle Slew who blew the gates off as a two year old, then was used as a cart horse pulling milk for a year. Can they retrieve the thoroughbred and see him race for glory? He's very young, and he showed incredible resilience and unwillingness to give in to failure. And he's got the football smarts. That is the key difference between the great ones and the journeymen. Just a gut feeling at this point, but I believe he could be the exception to the statistics precisely because his path has been so bizarre.... and why he was more or less dismissed by the vast majority of teams. The Jets really dug deep on this one to look under the hood. If they're worth their salt, it will produce results.

Great point & what you said reminds me of what many Jet fans have said over the years. Most Jet fans think we can't manage a franchise QB if we drafted one, (I'm talking about the old regimes). Tampa Bay had a Franchise QB in their midsts with Steve Young & Testeverdi. Atlanta had Brett Favre. Green Bay drafted Matt Hasselback & traded him for picks. Why does Fitz do so well under Gailey? Everything has to come together for a QBs success. Macc believes the Jets have those things in place with Gailey & Palmer. Bowles is much more aggressive on offense compared to Rex. 

My point is why do Jet fans spiel double standards? In the past we felt we couldn't coach up a QB, so why is it so hard to believe that the supporting cast that surrounded Hackenberg in Obrien & this very professional coaching staff leaving didn't have a profound impact on his college career going forward? Could it be that he "wasn't coached up"? Lacked skill players? Played behind a 3rd rate college Oline? Of course.

Archived